How much?! Australia Zoo burger leaves customer outraged at its shocking price tag!

For many of us, trips to the zoo or wildlife parks are cherished childhood memories. Watching the animals, feeding them, and of course, the delicious snacks and treats at lunchtime are all part of the quintessential zoo outing.

Sadly, things don’t always live up to expectations or our nostalgic memories.

A recent visitor to Australia Zoo found this out the hard way when they posted a photo of a double cheeseburger they'd bought at the zoo. And its cost? A whopping $17!

The meal - consisting of two beef patties and a small portion of melted cheese sandwiched between two buns - was described by many social media users as 'miserable-looking'.

'This is what passes as a $17 double cheeseburger at Australia Zoo,' the diner wrote in his Reddit post.

'Dry and stale, it was probably constantly reheated for the past few days. Next time we are bringing our own food.'

66609313-11638983-One_attendee_shared_a_picture_of_their_17_double_cheese_burger_w-a-2_1673842883614.jpg

Visitors have criticised Australia Zoo for the cost and quality of the food and beverages it provides to guests. Credit: Reddit.

Understandably, other visitors to the Queensland tourist spot have been outraged by the choice to charge so much for such a shockingly unappetising meal.

One person wrote: 'Australia Zoo easily has some of the worst food I've ever tasted.'

'Zoos, airports and concerts are criminal for food prices and quality,' another added.

A third said in outrage: 'WHERE THE F*** IS THE SAUCE THE BURGER IS BONE DRY?'

It seems that Australia Zoo, along with other tourist attractions, have been over-pricing their food for a while now. So what can we do?

Many people suggested packing a picnic, investing in a cooler, and filling it with homemade sandwiches and other goodies.

One user added: 'You will never regret homemade Vegemite sangas.'

'I have become that middle-aged man that makes egg and lettuce sandwiches for the family every time we go somewhere,' one user said.

'And then while we eat our packed lunch, I speak of the savings and rant about how expensive and average-looking the food is at the venue. Love it.'

A former employee of the zoo shed some light on the situation, explaining why food items on the property have reportedly been overpriced for years.

'Worked there for a few years during the mid-00s and was always mad pricing. I think a 600ml bottle of water went for about $3.50 or so back then,' they shared.

The ex-staff member then pointed out that the cost of rent within the zoo's vicinity drives the prices of the food items so vendors can still make a profit while serving visitors.

And if you'd rather commit to a full-priced outing and don't want to risk the same 'miserable' experience, there are other alternatives according to some commenters.

Some claimed that they have enjoyed better meals without the shocking price tag at both Melbourne Zoo and Crocosaurus Cove in Darwin.

Key Takeaways

• Australia Zoo has been heavily criticised for offering an overpriced and disappointing burger for $17.
  • Many people suggest bringing your own food to Australia Zoo to avoid the high prices and low-quality food.
  • Former employees of Australia Zoo have noted the expensive prices for food and drinks at the attraction.
  • Melbourne Zoo and Crocosaurus Cove in Darwin reportedly offer low-priced, high-quality food.

There you have it, folks! No matter where you choose to go, it’s true that a little bit of planning and research can go a long way to saving time and money.

Members, have you ever had a bad experience with food at a tourist attraction? Share your stories in the comments below!

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Shane/# and Ricci
Sponsored
Fast food rip off is happening in so many places. Last night covered in sleep testing apparatus I thought I was treating myself at the local takeaway. The chicken burger with a smudge of lettuce and a single slice of tomato was dry and tasteless, no sauce offered. The small serve of chips I asked not to be salted...they were heavily salted. Awful food for $13...no treat at all!
Tourist fast food I avoid.

Minarto Zoo is really BAD as well, the zoo is GREAT, BUT the food disgusting and sooooooooooooooooo over priced you almost have to sell a kidney to pay for it, nothing new though ALL tourist attraction feel it is their right to over charge for everything. Does not matter in Australia or over seas they all do it, Cruise Ships they really know how to charge, they have a captive audience, charge $40 for a bottle of wine you can buy at BWS for $10. But we still buy so they still over charge, perhaps if everyone made an effort not to buy a thing maybe they would get the message and bring the prices down. And try and buy a souvenir made in Australia, very hard I have complained to ALL places about this, at least over seas they sell there own made goods.

"Are you paying for the View, or paying for the Chew?" Same basic deal has always applied in any eating venue within a tourist attraction. My own pet-hate was those unbelievably expensive Revolving Restaurants (like on the top floor of the old SGIO building in Brisbane 'Top Of The State") around 50 years ago.
From my own viewpoint, I'd be concerned with ANY non-plant-based foodstuff on sale in a Zoo; in addition to the expected price-gouge, there's too much risk that it's stuff rejected within the Zoo critters' food-chain....

My family used to love going to Perth Zoo. We would always take our own food and drinks. You could hire a locker to put your stuff in so that you weren't lugging it around all day, collect it at lunchtime and have a picnic on the lawns. Fun times! :)

I have always thought any take-away food is expensive,,even more so now and mostly inedible,,those awful bain-marie's are always full of food but usually barely warm,,I take my food and drink (water ) with me these days,at least I know I can eat it, I remember I once asked for a salad roll to be made fresh and with butter,,the woman said there was rolls made up,,to which I replied "but there is no butter on them" it wasn't to hard to tell,, how miserable is that

• Sad
Reactions: Kayer02 and Ricci
For many of us, trips to the zoo or wildlife parks are cherished childhood memories. Watching the animals, feeding them, and of course, the delicious snacks and treats at lunchtime are all part of the quintessential zoo outing.

A recent visitor to Australia Zoo found this out the hard way when they posted a photo of a double cheeseburger they'd bought at the zoo. And its cost? A whopping $17!

The meal - consisting of two beef patties and a small portion of melted cheese sandwiched between two buns - was described by many social media users as 'miserable-looking'.

'This is what passes as a $17 double cheeseburger at Australia Zoo,' the diner wrote in his Reddit post.

'Dry and stale, it was probably constantly reheated for the past few days. Next time we are bringing our own food.'

66609313-11638983-One_attendee_shared_a_picture_of_their_17_double_cheese_burger_w-a-2_1673842883614.jpg

Visitors have criticised Australia Zoo for the cost and quality of the food and beverages it provides to guests. Credit: Reddit.

Understandably, other visitors to the Queensland tourist spot have been outraged by the choice to charge so much for such a shockingly unappetising meal.

One person wrote: 'Australia Zoo easily has some of the worst food I've ever tasted.'

'Zoos, airports and concerts are criminal for food prices and quality,' another added.

It seems that Australia Zoo, along with other tourist attractions, have been over-pricing their food for a while now. So what can we do?

Many people suggested packing a picnic, investing in a cooler, and filling it with homemade sandwiches and other goodies.

'I have become that middle-aged man that makes egg and lettuce sandwiches for the family every time we go somewhere,' one user said.

'And then while we eat our packed lunch, I speak of the savings and rant about how expensive and average-looking the food is at the venue. Love it.'

A former employee of the zoo shed some light on the situation, explaining why food items on the property have reportedly been overpriced for years.

'Worked there for a few years during the mid-00s and was always mad pricing. I think a 600ml bottle of water went for about $3.50 or so back then,' they shared.

The ex-staff member then pointed out that the cost of rent within the zoo's vicinity drives the prices of the food items so vendors can still make a profit while serving visitors.

And if you'd rather commit to a full-priced outing and don't want to risk the same 'miserable' experience, there are other alternatives according to some commenters.

Some claimed that they have enjoyed better meals without the shocking price tag at both Melbourne Zoo and Crocosaurus Cove in Darwin.

Key Takeaways

• Australia Zoo has been heavily criticised for offering an overpriced and disappointing burger for $17.
  • Many people suggest bringing your own food to Australia Zoo to avoid the high prices and low-quality food.
  • Former employees of Australia Zoo have noted the expensive prices for food and drinks at the attraction.
  • Melbourne Zoo and Crocosaurus Cove in Darwin reportedly offer low-priced, high-quality food.

There you have it, folks! No matter where you choose to go, it’s true that a little bit of planning and research can go a long way to saving time and money.

Members, have you ever had a bad experience with food at a tourist attraction? Share your stories in the comments below!
Bloody disgraceful 🤬

Key Takeaways

I have not been to Australia zoo for a few years, but if I remember rightly you were not allowed to take any food in with you. This rule may be changed now

• Sad
Reactions: Kayer02 and Ricci
I have always thought any take-away food is expensive,,even more so now and mostly inedible,,those awful bain-marie's are always full of food but usually barely warm,,I take my food and drink (water ) with me these days,at least I know I can eat it, I remember I once asked for a salad roll to be made fresh and with butter,,the woman said there was rolls made up,,to which I replied "but there is no butter on them" it wasn't to hard to tell,, how miserable is that
I used to work in the food industry, and our rules at that time were as follows. Food in bain-marie must be thrown away after 1hour. Hot dog sausages in water after 1/2 hour. Sandwiches and cakes Must be replaced after 3hours in refrigerated display. These were our Supervisor
/owners rules Everything was always fresh and all food was gone at end of trade.

wow,that would have been wonderful,,knowing your food really was fresh,,doesn't happen where I live,,a family member used to work in a take-away shop and said never to buy certain lines as they were soaked in water to rehydrate if there was any left over and cooked next day to sell,,the chips were soggy and limp,,it's no wonder I don't eat it