SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
How Margaritaville's Jimmy Buffett bravely fought and lost his battle to skin cancer and lymphoma – and the passing away of former Harrods owner

The entertainment industry and fans worldwide are mourning the passing of celebrated music legend Jimmy Buffett, renowned for transforming his chart-topper 'Margaritaville' into a billion-dollar empire. The news of his secret battle against skin cancer, followed by his demise, strikes a chord of grief and disbelief, digging wounds deeper for many.

Born on a Christmas day in 1946, Buffett wasn't just a revered singer-songwriter. He was a synonym for ‘beach-bum escapism’, a figure who ignited the pressing need to retreat into sunsets, sandy beaches, and simple life appreciation.

His survival in the music industry is an ode to his undisputed talent, business acumen and humility, starting from his humble beginnings to creating an empire valued at over $1 billion.

Photo_20230904_081313_0000.png
Jimmy Buffet pictured left and Mohamed Al-Fayed pictured right. Image source: Shutterstock / SDC.

Sources unveiled that the icon, aged 76 at the time of his death, waged a valiant battle against skin cancer that eventually developed into lymphoma. His untimely departure was confirmed last Friday, much to the world's shock and sorrow.

In a heart-wrenching revelation to reporters, an insider stated, 'He lived his life in the sun, literally and figuratively'.

During his final days, an overwhelming surge of love and support encapsulated Buffett, even from his friends within the industry. One such heartwarming incident involved none other than Paul McCartney, who paid a gracious visit to the Grammy nominee within his last week. The fellow music maestro was rumoured to have serenaded Buffett in what can be remembered as an unprecedented tribute.

One of Buffet's transformative milestones comes in the form of his celebrated hit 'Margaritaville,' a melody that transcended the boundaries of sports stadiums to seep into the lives of excited fans and radios alike.

Moulded from the essence of a sun-soaked beach-bum vibe, it snowballed into a billion-dollar business entity, painting a picture of eternal sunshine and laid-back life, inherently embedded with Buffett's essence.

The official statement, posted on Buffett's official channels read, 'Jimmy passed away peacefully on the night of September 1st surrounded by his family, friends, music, and dogs. He lived his life like a song till the very last breath and will be missed beyond measure by so many.'

The tributes poured in from all corners of life commemorating the maestro's contributions to the music industry spanning across decades. From his plethora of fans around the globe to President Biden and Hollywood stars, an outpour of appreciation and bereavement resonates worldwide.

During our research, we found a video of Jimmy Buffet performing ‘Margaritaville’ in 1978. You can watch it below.

Farewell, Jimmy. Here's to you, a true poet of paradise.

Key Takeaways
  • Jimmy Buffett, the legendary singer-songwriter known for his iconic hit 'Margaritaville', has died aged 76 after a secret four-year battle with skin cancer that turned into lymphoma.
  • His death has prompted tributes from millions of fans around the world, including President Biden and various Hollywood stars.
  • From humble beginnings, Buffett built a business empire worth $1 billion, centred around his laid-back subtropical party vibe and Caribbean-inspired soft rock music.
  • Despite his deteriorating health in recent months, Buffett's death came as a surprise to many as he had not publicly disclosed his battle with skin cancer.

Sadly, it wasn’t just Jimmy who we bid farewell to this weekend. Mohamed Al-Fayed, the former owner of the famed Harrods department store in London— and whose son was killed in a car crash with Princess Diana—has also passed away at the age of 94.

One of Al-Fayed's most famous business ventures was when he bought up Harrods—the iconic, famous store in London—in 1985, and it was during his tenure as a Harrods owner that his reputation and wealth only continued to grow.

Later, in 1979, Al-Fayed purchased the Ritz Hotel in Paris, and then went on to become the owner of the popular London-based football club, Fulham, from 1997 to 2013.

Though he was known for his success and ambition, Al-Fayed also endured much heartache in his life; none more so than the tragic deaths of his son Dodi Fayed and the beloved Princess Diana in a car crash in Paris in 1997. The losses of his son and Princess Diana had made a devastating impact on the billionaire, whose life after the accident was spent in sadness and mourning.

Reeling from the pain of the double tragedy, Al-Fayed publicly vowed that he would keep fighting for justice for his son and the princess, stating that they had been murdered in a plot by the British establishment.

These claims were recently depicted in the fifth season of the hit series, The Crown, in an episode in which Al-Fayed (played by Salim Daw) was seen becoming acquainted with Diana.

Though his life has come to an end, Al-Fayed is survived by his wife and their children and grandchildren, who released a statement following their family member's death.

'Mrs Mohamed Al-Fayed, her children and grandchildren wish to confirm that her beloved husband, their father and their grandfather, Mohamed, has passed away peacefully of old age on Wednesday August 30, 2023. He enjoyed a long and fulfilled retirement surrounded by his loved ones. The family have asked for their privacy to be respected at this time.'

Key Takeaways
  • Mohamed Al-Fayed, former owner of Harrods department store and Fulham Football Club, has died aged 94.
  • His family confirmed that he passed away peacefully of old age surrounded by loved ones.
  • Al-Fayed spent much of his life mourning the loss of his son Dodi, who died in a car crash with Princess Diana.
  • The businessman also owned the Ritz hotel in Paris, and his relationship with the royal family was depicted in The Crown.

Here at Seniors Discount Club, we'd like to offer our sincerest condolences to all family and friends of the late Jimmy Buffet and Mohammed Al-Fayed. We have no doubt both of their legacies will live on. May they both rest in peace.

I was informed the Queen would never grant Al-Fayed an English passport. A reason is unknown.
Does anyone else know of this?

Jimmy Buffet had some amazing songs
Rest In Peace and thank you for the music 🎶 🎵 🙏 ❤️

Mohammed Al - Fayed was convinced the Royal family was behind his sons and Diana's death, and he believed this up to his death.
Rip 🙏

Reactions: Rhonda's Honda
I was informed the Queen would never grant Al-Fayed an English passport. A reason is unknown.
Does anyone else know of this?
Hi @Pommyoz when I did my research for this article I found a few different pieces that discussed his UK Citizenship. One was written by the Guardian in 1999 here - https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/may/06/3 the other was written by The Times of Israel here - https://www.timesofisrael.com/mohamed-al-fayed-egyptian-tycoon-who-craved-establishment-approval/.

Both sources claim he was never granted UK Citizenship. There was also reports of Al-Fayed claiming that his son and Princess Diana were pregnant at the time of their deaths, however, all reports are alleged and are referred to as 'conspiracy theories' so I didn't want to include that in the article considering nothing is confirmed (as I think all our members already know!) but if you do want to read more about that, you can read about it here - https://news.sky.com/story/mohamed-...ycoon-was-never-far-from-controversy-12810839.

I must admit, it was a fascinating story to research!

Hi @Pommyoz when I did my research for this article I found a few different pieces that discussed his UK Citizenship. One was written by the Guardian in 1999 here - https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/may/06/3 the other was written by The Times of Israel here - https://www.timesofisrael.com/mohamed-al-fayed-egyptian-tycoon-who-craved-establishment-approval/.

Both sources claim he was never granted UK Citizenship. There was also reports of Al-Fayed claiming that his son and Princess Diana were pregnant at the time of their deaths, however, all reports are alleged and are referred to as 'conspiracy theories' so I didn't want to include that in the article considering nothing is confirmed (as I think all our members already know!) but if you do want to read more about that, you can read about it here - https://news.sky.com/story/mohamed-...ycoon-was-never-far-from-controversy-12810839.

It seems that Mohamed-al-fayed passed away on the same date, August 30, and 26 years after his son and princess Diana passed away.

As for Jimmy Buffett, I wouldn't know one of his songs at all.

Then again, country and western isn't my taste. Who listens to songs about a cattle rancher who falls in love with his favourite cow? o_O
I never knew of him or his songs until I was older . Listen to his song Margaritaville, I think you may have heard that one

You can do it , think of the feeling you will have when it's done.
I did my year 12 in 1999 at St George tafe and I sat my last exam 3 weeks before I gave birth to my baby no 10. It was Asia Pacific Studies and I came first in that subject , maths was a different story but at least I passed

So seriously you can do this ! Maybe stay of all social media until it's done or set a certain ammount of time to do your assignments that was the only way I got mine done

You can do it , think of the feeling you will have when it's done.
I did my year 12 in 1999 at St George tafe and I sat my last exam 3 weeks before I gave birth to my baby no 10. It was Asia Pacific Studies and I came first in that subject , maths was a different story but at least I passed

So seriously you can do this ! Maybe stay of all social media until it's done or set a certain ammount of time to do your assignments that was the only way I got mine done
Through my two uni degrees, two other Cert IV courses plus heaps of associated stuff, I work best under pressure.

If I start something early, odds on I won't finish it at all.

Through my two uni degrees, two other Cert IV courses plus heaps of associated stuff, I work best under pressure.

If I start something early, odds on I won't finish it at all.
How we are all do different , I always panicked if I didn't get it done.
Must be a male thing working better under pressure

My son was like that , he left ALL his assignments until the very last minute and went on to get top marks. He is a school principal now. Where as all my daughters have to get it done asap.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
How we are all do different , I always panicked if I didn't get it done.
Must be a male thing working better under pressure

My son was like that , he left ALL his assignments until the very last minute and went on to get top marks. He is a school principal now. Where as all my daughters have to get it done asap.
How true!

Reactions: Suzanne rose