Hospitalisations surge as doctor reveals fast-spreading new COVID-19 variant

As the world continues to grapple with the lingering effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, the state of Victoria finds itself in the midst of a fresh wave of infections.

The state is witnessing a concerning spike in hospitalisations, with JN.1—a new subvariant that’s rapidly becoming the dominant strain of the virus.

This development mirrors international trends, signalling a global challenge in the fight against COVID-19.

Victoria's seven-day average for COVID-19 hospitalisations has surged to 377.

Although these numbers have not yet reached the peak levels of hospitalisations, which was seen during the wave in May and June of the previous year. That surge brought the number of hospitalisations to 488.

SDC 1.png
A new variant of COVID-19 has emerged. Image source: Freepik.

Regardless, the rapid rise is causing alarm among health officials and the public alike.

The emergence of the JN.1 subvariant is particularly troubling due to its swift spread throughout the community.

Victoria's Chief Health Officer, Dr Clare Looker, expressed concern over the variant's rapid dominance, noting that it has quickly become the most prevalent strain in a matter of weeks.

This 'wave on wave' pattern, as Dr. Looker described it, is challenging the state's recovery efforts from previous surges of the virus.

'Part of the concern with this new variant has just really been the speed with which it's taken off,' Dr Looker said.

'So over a few weeks, we've really seen it very quickly be the dominant variant in the community.'

In response to this uptick in cases and hospitalisations, health authorities are calling on the housing and care sectors to implement protective measures for those most vulnerable to COVID-19.

This includes senior Victorians, individuals with pre-existing medical conditions, and residents in aged care and disability care facilities.

Recommended precautions include the use of masks and surveillance testing to mitigate the risk of transmission.

COVID-19 symptoms can appear within 2-14 days after exposure, with a runny nose, sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath, and fever being common indicators of infection.

While the mandate for mask-wearing has been lifted since early 2022, those at higher risk are strongly encouraged by the authorities to continue wearing masks in high-risk settings or if they exhibit any symptoms suggestive of COVID-19.

The Department of Health remains vigilant, closely monitoring hospitalisation rates and conducting wastewater testing to track the spread of the virus.
Key Takeaways
  • Victoria is experiencing a new COVID-19 wave, with hospitalisations on the rise due to a new subvariant, JN.1.
  • The seven-day average for hospitalisations has reached 377, a significant increase but still lower than the peak in the previous year.
  • High-risk groups, such as the elderly and those with medical conditions, have been advised to wear masks and utilise surveillance testing.
  • The Chief Health Officer of Victoria highlighted the rapid spread of the JN.1 variant and its emergence as the dominant strain in the community.
As we navigate this latest challenge, it is essential to stay informed, practice good hygiene, and seek medical advice if experiencing symptoms.

Let us know your thoughts on this story in the comments below.

Sponsored
It's in NSW as well.

Hubby went to his friends on Friday to play Backgammon and his friend was well . Then Friday night he became sick,

Saturday morning he was very sick and tested positive for covid. He is still sick in bed .

Now hopefully hubby hasn't brought it home. We are going away this weekend

I've had covid twice and just got over the worst flu only a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe vulnerable people need to wear a mask when out in congested areas.

As the world continues to grapple with the lingering effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, the state of Victoria finds itself in the midst of a fresh wave of infections.

The state is witnessing a concerning spike in hospitalisations, with JN.1—a new subvariant that’s rapidly becoming the dominant strain of the virus.

This development mirrors international trends, signalling a global challenge in the fight against COVID-19.

Although these numbers have not yet reached the peak levels of hospitalisations, which was seen during the wave in May and June of the previous year. That surge brought the number of hospitalisations to 488.

View attachment 38855

Regardless, the rapid rise is causing alarm among health officials and the public alike.

The emergence of the JN.1 subvariant is particularly troubling due to its swift spread throughout the community.

Victoria's Chief Health Officer, Dr Clare Looker, expressed concern over the variant's rapid dominance, noting that it has quickly become the most prevalent strain in a matter of weeks.

This 'wave on wave' pattern, as Dr. Looker described it, is challenging the state's recovery efforts from previous surges of the virus.

'Part of the concern with this new variant has just really been the speed with which it's taken off,' Dr Looker said.

'So over a few weeks, we've really seen it very quickly be the dominant variant in the community.'

In response to this uptick in cases and hospitalisations, health authorities are calling on the housing and care sectors to implement protective measures for those most vulnerable to COVID-19.

This includes senior Victorians, individuals with pre-existing medical conditions, and residents in aged care and disability care facilities.

Recommended precautions include the use of masks and surveillance testing to mitigate the risk of transmission.

COVID-19 symptoms can appear within 2-14 days after exposure, with a runny nose, sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath, and fever being common indicators of infection.

While the mandate for mask-wearing has been lifted since early 2022, those at higher risk are strongly encouraged by the authorities to continue wearing masks in high-risk settings or if they exhibit any symptoms suggestive of COVID-19.

The Department of Health remains vigilant, closely monitoring hospitalisation rates and conducting wastewater testing to track the spread of the virus.
Key Takeaways

• Victoria is experiencing a new COVID-19 wave, with hospitalisations on the rise due to a new subvariant, JN.1.
  • The seven-day average for hospitalisations has reached 377, a significant increase but still lower than the peak in the previous year.
  • High-risk groups, such as the elderly and those with medical conditions, have been advised to wear masks and utilise surveillance testing.
  • The Chief Health Officer of Victoria highlighted the rapid spread of the JN.1 variant and its emergence as the dominant strain in the community.
As we navigate this latest challenge, it is essential to stay informed, practice good hygiene, and seek medical advice if
experiencing symptoms.

Here we go again. Just when we were becoming less cautious about this dangerous, and debilitating evil thing, just when "life" was returning to
some sort of "normality". Round two
raises it's ugly head. Especially for us older folk.
The total annihilation of anything we have viewed as bring "our normal way of life" Not to mention the Deaths that occur to our loved ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go again. Just when we were becoming less cautious about this dangerous, and debilitating evil thing, just when "life" was returning to
some sort of "normality". Round two
raises it's ugly head. Especially for us older folk.
The total enialation of anything we have viewed as bring "our normal way of life" Not to mention the Deaths that occur to our loved ones.
I think we can still have some sort of normality we just need to be cautiously, maybe wear a mask in congested areas. There are alot of people still wearing mask.

There has been alot of flu's around here in Sydney actually worst than covid

It's in NSW as well.

Hubby went to his friends on Friday to play Backgammon and his friend was well . Then Friday night he became sick,

Saturday morning he was very sick and tested positive for covid. He is still sick in bed .

I've had covid twice and just got over the worst flu only a couple of weeks ago.

I hope hubby gets well soon and has kept it to himself (as mean as that sounds).
I’ve had Covid twice too and although it wasn’t more than an ordinary flu for me, took ages for the cough to subside.

View attachment 38855

Key Takeaways

As we navigate this latest challenge, it is essential to stay informed, practice good hygiene, and seek medical advice if experiencing symptoms.

Here we go again!!!! Scaremongering. Beat up a storm.....

It's in NSW as well.

Take care

Someone I was speaking to the other day pointed out that locally (a tourist area) the handwashing facilities in the toilets have gone back to pre pandemic days. No soap, no hand drying, only cold water to wash hands. He said the council was too quick to take these things away. I’m sure it’s not only in our area. It hasn’t taken long for people to become complacent.

Don’t think so. My hubby was ready to come out of rehab. Caught covid in hospital and died.
Go thru that and won’t be scaremongering
Took everything from his body and got into cell of blood. It is a serious disease
I'm so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately alot of people think the same as Ian3005.

To me if Covid wasn't serious they wouldn't be warning people, we wouldn't have gone into lockdown ect.

My daughter who is now 19 ,when she was in year 11 ( 2021 ) a student in her year died from covid . The story was on the news as he was the first young person in NSW To die. He was in hospital for something else and caught covid in hospital, he was 16

Someone I was speaking to the other day pointed out that locally (a tourist area) the handwashing facilities in the toilets have gone back to pre pandemic days. No soap, no hand drying, only cold water to wash hands. He said the council was too quick to take these things away. I’m sure it’s not only in our area. It hasn’t taken long for people to become complacent.
To be honest I think they took away mask wearing to quick, at least from crowded areas

Everything has now gone back to normal. I think we should have still had some things in place.

I think it's up to us now to just becareful

I'm so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately alot of people think the same as Ian3005.

To me if Covid wasn't serious they wouldn't be warning people, we wouldn't have gone into lockdown ect.

My daughter who is now 19 ,when she was in year 11 ( 2021 ) a student in her year died from covid . The story was on the news as he was the first young person in NSW To die. He was in hospital for something else and caught covid in hospital, he was 16
had he had the dreaded JAB?

View attachment 38855

Key Takeaways

Let us know your thoughts on this story in the comments below

Everything has now gone back to normal. I think we should have still had some things in place.

I think it's up to us now to just becareful
I still use the hand sanitizer and the trolly wipes when available in the supermarkets, not only for Covid but thinking about how many people have touched the trolley and where their hands have been lol. First thing I do when I get home is wash my hands. Throw back I guess from working in disability throughout the pandemic. Im careful but not obsessive, I just do these things without thinking now.

I still use the hand sanitizer and the trolly wipes when available in the supermarkets, not only for Covid but thinking about how many people have touched the trolley and where their hands have been lol. First thing I do when I get home is wash my hands. Throw back I guess from working in disability throughout the pandemic. Im careful but not obsessive, I just do these things without thinking now.
And really everyone should be washing hands and hand sanitising.

View attachment 38855

Key Takeaways

OK you dumb bunnies who think Covid-19 is no longer a pandemic. It's still a pandemic that is now an endemic in Australia so wear a mask when you go to the local shopping centre, at the very least. I caught, sorry was given, covid-19 ten days before Christmas. Some idiot had coughed or sneezed over my wife, or nearby her, whilst at the supermarket and a couple of days later she ended up with with Covid-19. Then of course I was given the privilege of dealing with the damned virus. How did it deal with me? Well the usual headache and low-grade fever and sore throat and cough. The only problem with the cough is that it wouldn't stop and during a period of three days during Christmas I was spitting up gobs of fresh blood from my lungs. Then came New Year's Eve and I was spitting up green mucous stained with fresh blood and then more recently just green mucous. And that was despite the Paxlovid pills I had been prescribed during the first day I showed symptoms and had tested positive (the pills cost the government $1134.85c for 1 course so that is why they are restricted; we get them for $30 if prescribed by a GP) that are supposed to ease one's misery.

And the lung function test that I have just had was not that re-assuring apart from the fact that simply walking leaves me exhausted because my lungs no longer function in the way to which I have become accustomed to during the last 70 or so years of walking. That's after 5 vaccinations; the bug (sorry the idiot who passed it onto my wife) hit me about 4 days before I had been granted the OK to have the sixth vaccination against the new variants. As for the anti-vaxxers and our politicians who have let C-19 run amok amongst at least 12 million Australia, I have no absolutely polite thoughts towards you.

So wear that mask, properly, to cover your nose!

Last edited: