Horror at Kmart: 6-year-old girl suffers serious eye injury after shopping accident

WARNING: This article contains graphic imagery.

A six-year-old girl was shopping with her family at a Kmart store when an ill-fated accident turned her shopping trip into a nightmare.

Cecilia Chen was six when she went shopping with her grandmother at Chatswood Chase shopping centre on Sydney's Lower North Shore on January 8, 2020.

The youngster spotted a pink t-shirt she wanted but as she jumped up to reach it, she lost her balance and smashed her right eye into a metal clothes hook on the rack below.

She was then rushed to Westmead Children's Hospital with blood gushing out of her face where she underwent a four-hour operation to restore her eyelid.

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 8.31.23 AM.png
Cecilia was injured by a type of hook found in the apparel section of a Kmart store. Credit: 9News.

On Friday, the NSW District Court ordered Kmart to pay Cecilia's family $59,929 to cover medical bills and court costs, after the company had earlier conceded in court that it had breached its duty of care in relation to the accident.

According to testimony given in court, Cecilia suffered from emotional stress as well as physical scarring from the injury, which caused her face to bleed and yellow fluid to leak from one of her eyes.

A reconstructive surgeon sent in medical reports that explained how severe the child's injury was. The reports said that she had a full-thickness transverse tear of the right upper eyelid, which was torn off except for a thin lateral attachment, and that the upper eyelid tear duct was split.

Cecilia's mother, Jill Huang, told the court that Cecilia refused to go to school after the incident and missed a few days because she was hurt and scared. Ms Huang went so far as to ask the school to tell the other children about her daughter's accident and how it had altered her appearance.

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 8.31.17 AM.png
When the young girl reached up to get a shirt off a hook, she lost her balance and hit her eye on a metal rail. Credit: 9News.

Even though it's been two years since the accident, Cecilia still cries before she goes to sleep. Even though her parents had planned for her to start sleeping alone when she turned six, the eight-year-old still sleeps with them.

The once-active child used to enjoy ballet, basketball, gymnastics, and swimming, but now she'll just play table tennis since she doesn't want to 'risk contact' and get hurt.

The court was told that Cecilia's refusal to discuss the accident and her growing anxiety were 'serious' and a psychiatrist has also noted that the child should begin therapy as soon as possible.

After the incident, Kmart put rubber caps on the top of all hang rail arms in all of their stores. These are checked regularly to try to make sure that something similar doesn't happen again.

'Kmart accepts the court's judgement in this case and extends our best wishes to Cecilia and her family,' said the retail giant in a statement.
Key Takeaways

• Cecilia Chen was shopping with her family in the children's section of Kmart when her right eye hit a metal rail clothing hook holding children's apparel.
  • The six-year-old was then taken to Westmead Children's Hospital and underwent two surgeries to repair her eyelid.
  • Kmart admitted in the NSW District Court it breached its duty of care over the accident and was ordered to pay the victim's family $59,929 to cover the family's medical expenses and court costs.
Children are naturally curious and active. Giving them the space to move and discover the world around them is important, but we must also be vigilant and take every precaution to protect them from potential dangers.

For parents, grandparents, and caregivers, teaching children to be aware of their surroundings is a necessity. Always closely supervise children in public places and make sure their surroundings are safe and appropriate for their age and abilities.

We hope Cecilia is doing okay and that she gets the help she needs to recover from this ordeal. This just goes to show that no matter where you are or what you're doing, accidents can happen at any time, so always be on the lookout!

How about you, members? What do you think of this story? Please share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored

A six-year-old girl was shopping with her family at a Kmart store when an ill-fated accident turned her shopping trip into a nightmare.

Cecilia Chen was six when she went shopping with her grandmother at Chatswood Chase shopping centre on Sydney's Lower North Shore on January 8, 2020.

The youngster spotted a pink t-shirt she wanted but as she jumped up to reach it, she lost her balance and smashed her right eye into a metal clothes hook on the rack below.

She was then rushed to Westmead Children's Hospital with blood gushing out of her face where she underwent a four-hour operation to restore her eyelid.

View attachment 8226
Cecilia was injured by a type of hook found in the apparel section of a Kmart store. Credit: 9News.

On Friday, the NSW District Court ordered Kmart to pay Cecilia's family $59,929 to cover medical bills and court costs, after the company had earlier conceded in court that it had breached its duty of care in relation to the accident.

According to testimony given in court, Cecilia suffered from emotional stress as well as physical scarring from the injury, which caused her face to bleed and yellow fluid to leak from one of her eyes.

A reconstructive surgeon sent in medical reports that explained how severe the child's injury was. The reports said that she had a full-thickness transverse tear of the right upper eyelid, which was torn off except for a thin lateral attachment, and that the upper eyelid tear duct was split.

Cecilia's mother, Jill Huang, told the court that Cecilia refused to go to school after the incident and missed a few days because she was hurt and scared. Ms Huang went so far as to ask the school to tell the other children about her daughter's accident and how it had altered her appearance.

View attachment 8227
When the young girl reached up to get a shirt off a hook, she lost her balance and hit her eye on a metal rail. Credit: 9News.

Even though it's been two years since the accident, Cecilia still cries before she goes to sleep. Even though her parents had planned for her to start sleeping alone when she turned six, the eight-year-old still sleeps with them.

The once-active child used to enjoy ballet, basketball, gymnastics, and swimming, but now she'll just play table tennis since she doesn't want to 'risk contact' and get hurt.

The court was told that Cecilia's refusal to discuss the accident and her growing anxiety were 'serious' and a psychiatrist has also noted that the child should begin therapy as soon as possible.

After the incident, Kmart put rubber caps on the top of all hang rail arms in all of their stores. These are checked regularly to try to make sure that something similar doesn't happen again.

'Kmart accepts the court's judgement in this case and extends our best wishes to Cecilia and her family,' said the retail giant in a statement.
Key Takeaways

• Cecilia Chen was shopping with her family in the children's section of Kmart when her right eye hit a metal rail clothing hook holding children's apparel.
  • The six-year-old was then taken to Westmead Children's Hospital and underwent two surgeries to repair her eyelid.
  • Kmart admitted in the NSW District Court it breached its duty of care over the accident and was ordered to pay the victim's family $59,929 to cover the family's medical expenses and court costs.
Children are naturally curious and active. Giving them the space to move and discover the world around them is important, but we must also be vigilant and take every precaution to protect them from potential dangers.

For parents, grandparents, and caregivers, teaching children to be aware of their surroundings is a necessity. Always closely supervise children in public places and make sure their surroundings are safe and appropriate for their age and abilities.

We hope Cecilia is doing okay and that she gets the help she needs to recover from this ordeal. This just goes to show that no matter where you are or what you're doing, accidents can happen at any time, so always be on the lookout!

How about you, members? What do you think of this story? Please share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
While this is indeed a traumatic experience for the child and her family it was hardly the stores fault.
Parents who take their kids into stores and allow them to treat the area like a play zone are more than likely the reason.
I was in a ladies wear store last week where “two little cherubs” ( not my opinion) were playing hide and seek in the womens underwear racks. Bras and knickers soon littered the floor while the disinterested mother ignored them.
I used a few simple words like “don’t do that and No” in my days of parenting. Teaching responsible behaviour is a parents job.
Seems like now days it’s every one else’s job to be responsible.
If the child had jumped in front of a truck would it have been the drivers fault?
Shame on the greedy parents suing KMart for their own poor
skills

Exactly parents need to take responsibility for their children, keep them close while shopping and not to let them run amuck. And then put the blame on someone else, this is the world we live in now, my son fell off a park's flying fox and broke his wrist many years ago, he was with a friend and her son. No way I thought of taking my friend or the park to court. Just looked at it as a childhood accident. Different strokes for different folks!

While this is indeed a traumatic experience for the child and her family it was hardly the stores fault.
Parents who take their kids into stores and allow them to treat the area like a play zone are more than likely the reason.
I was in a ladies wear store last week where “two little cherubs” ( not my opinion) were playing hide and seek in the womens underwear racks. Bras and knickers soon littered the floor while the disinterested mother ignored them.
I used a few simple words like “don’t do that and No” in my days of parenting. Teaching responsible behaviour is a parents job.
Seems like now days it’s every one else’s job to be responsible.
If the child had jumped in front of a truck would it have been the drivers fault?
Shame on the greedy parents suing KMart for their own poor
skills
Shaken you are so right. How about mummies and daddies look after their kids. They chose (in most cases) to have them.

I have four grown up children and they all suffered many accidents and yes it is traumatic children get over things like that so fast exspecially after 2 years so cmon it’s not like she was raped etc …and because this happened in a store of course the parents are taking advantage of it for money so bad and also notice they are saying the child doesn’t want to talk about it …well of course they have brain washed her to keep her mouth shut 🤐

I feel so sorry for this little girl but accidents happen everywhere .
Where was the grandmother ? Why did the little girl have to jump up to get the top ? Why didn't the grandmother get it for her ?
Parents have to take responsibility for their children , these hooks were not low on the ground.
I understand if there was broken glass or something on the floor that shouldn't be there but when that happens I know they are quick to clean up

Making stores entirely safe for young and old and small kids is almost impossible. We are quick to blame others when things go wrong for us. The compounded consequence of actions taken against retail stores is more restrictions, rules and limitations. Why make Kmart pay, privately discuss it with store management, and try to find a settlement and watch over your kids?

View attachment 8226

View attachment 8227

Key Takeaways

I was so sorry to hear of this horrendous accident. We do have to be careful, but this was unacceptable. I do hope little Cecilia recovers physically and emotionally.

Reactions: Zoya and barbaranne
I have four grown up children and they all suffered many accidents and yes it is traumatic children get over things like that so fast exspecially after 2 years so cmon it’s not like she was raped etc …and because this happened in a store of course the parents are taking advantage of it for money so bad and also notice they are saying the child doesn’t want to talk about it …well of course they have brain washed her to keep her mouth shut 🤐

It saddens me to see so many judgmental comments. We don't know every detail of how the accident occurred, and kids can move so fast and jump up to something they are excited about, it doesn't necessarily make them a naughty child, nor does it make her Grandmother negligent. Those metal racks look bloody sharp and dangerous and I'm glad KMart have made them safer, so they should! I agree that many people now are too quick to blame someone else and take matters to court, but in some cases it is justified. This poor kid now has ongoing mental trauma as well as the physical injuries!

Reactions: Zoya and barbaranne
Exactly parents need to take responsibility for their children, keep them close while shopping and not to let them run amuck. And then put the blame on someone else, this is the world we live in now, my son fell off a park's flying fox and broke his wrist many years ago, he was with a friend and her son. No way I thought of taking my friend or the park to court. Just looked at it as a childhood accident. Different strokes for different folks!
I believe this is another one of those bad traits we have inherited from America, unfortunately.

When my brother & l were younger we weren't allowed to run amok as children are allowed to do now. l've seen them in family restuarant where, while the parents happily enjoy a meal their little darlings are free to jump up on the fixed seats, run along them & jump down to do it all over again without one word from either parent.

I feel for the child too but hear the words of the song ringing in my ears, "I'm in the money, I'm in the money". I wonder how long before this child returns to school & starts to lead a normal life again.

View attachment 8226

View attachment 8227

Key Takeaways

Years ago a friend took my son to a park with her son this was when slippery dips were fun and not like they are now well my son fell of it and she took him to the Drs to get checked out, he was perfectly fine and I told her not to worry even if he broke a bone it was he who wasn’t watching what he was doing. Teach your kids from an early age to do what’s right, I feel for the little girl but if she wasn’t trying to get something she shouldn’t have this would not have happened.

I am not going to comment on the incident itself, as I didn't see the accident, or know the circumstances as to what actually happened to make any sort of judgement call.

My main concern is the effect this has had on the young girl.

I know the court systems work slowly, and this case has just been determined.

What I don't understand however, is this incident occurred two years ago, when the child was six - she is now eight.

Yet a psychiatrist "noted" in court the girl should "should begin therapy as soon as possible" to deal with her trauma.

This would seem to indicate she has not been having any professional therapy for the past two years.

If this is the case, with the serious impacts on the girl as listed, I am more concerned that her family didn't engage professional help a long time ago.

I wish this girl all the very best, and hope she will benefit from some professional help and regain her abiiity to enjoy life again.

Reactions: Jersey Girl

View attachment 8226

View attachment 8227

Key Takeaways

This child jumped up to grab a t shirt, why was it the store s fault that she was injured. I am sick to death of trying to manoeuvre my walker round running, ball bouncing children, to close to adult children . Parents need to control these out of control kids before they get injured. Not stores fault, shouldn't be paying for grandparents inattention