Horrifying Elderly Abuse Exposed: Aged Care Worker Charged with Multiple Cases of Sexual Assault

CONTENT WARNING: The following article contains references to subjects such as sexual abuse and violence and may contain triggering information. Reader discretion is advised.

We trust nursing homes to care for our loved ones, and for the most part, the staff employed there do a great job in providing our family members with the care and attention they need.

But sometimes, these trust systems break down.

The SDC is deeply saddened and disturbed by the news that has come out of Perth recently – horrific reports of elderly abuse involving a care worker.

An aged care worker at a Perth facility has been charged with several counts of sexual crimes against multiple elderly residents, leaving the residents and their families absolutely horrified.

pexels-photo-339620.jpeg

A 56-year-old care worker was alleged to have sexually assaulted three residents from two different facilities in Perth. Credit: Pexels/Matthias Zomer.

Police reported the arrest of Armand Lutula Wema, a 56-year-old resident of Nollamara, Perth, who was charged with three counts of aggravated indecent assault and one count of aggravated sexual penetration without consent.

The offences, which took place at two Perth aged care homes between July 2022 and January 2023, are alleged to have been committed against three elderly women who were staying in the facilities at the time.

The women, who were aged in their 70s to 90s, were staying at Aegis and Ferndale aged care homes in Perth's northern and eastern suburbs.

Aegis, which employed Wema as a carer, said it was working with local authorities to investigate the case.

Wema is currently being detained and is expected to face court next month.

This news is deeply concerning.

Members, we know how vulnerable aged care residents can be and that’s why it’s important to make sure they are in safe, trusted environments that provide a high level of care.

When looking for an aged care home it’s important to:

1. Ensure the centre is properly accredited and meets the government’s minimum standards.

2. Ask to see the care plan the centre will develop and how they involve the elderly person in their decisions.

3. Review the centre’s medication policy to make sure medications are being managed properly.

4. Read all documents thoroughly, including admission agreements, discharge policies, and informed consent.

5. Ask about visitors and visitor policies.

6. Make sure to always communicate any concerns to staff or the manager.

Key Takeaways

• A care worker at a Perth aged care facility has been charged with several counts of sexual crimes against multiple elderly residents.
  • It’s important to take steps to ensure our elderly family members are in safe, trusted environments.
  • When looking for an aged care centre, it’s important to check for proper accreditation and review documents such as admission agreements, discharge policies and informed consent.
  • Members are encouraged to do their homework and to always be on the lookout for any changes in behaviour in family members living in aged care.

We also recommend checking out this downloadable e-book where we share some tips on how to plan your move to an aged care facility.

Members, we understand this news is distressing to read about, but it’s a reminder to do your homework and to always be on the lookout for any changes in behaviour in those around you.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Sponsored
CONTENT WARNING: The following article contains references to subjects such as sexual abuse and violence and may contain triggering information. Reader discretion is advised.

We trust nursing homes to care for our loved ones, and for the most part, the staff employed there do a great job in providing our family members with the care and attention they need.

The SDC is deeply saddened and disturbed by the news that has come out of Perth recently – horrific reports of elderly abuse involving a care worker.

An aged care worker at a Perth facility has been charged with several counts of sexual crimes against multiple elderly residents, leaving the residents and their families absolutely horrified.

pexels-photo-339620.jpeg

A 56-year-old care worker was alleged to have sexually assaulted three residents from two different facilities in Perth. Credit: Pexels/Matthias Zomer.

Police reported the arrest of Armand Lutula Wema, a 56-year-old resident of Nollamara, Perth, who was charged with three counts of aggravated indecent assault and one count of aggravated sexual penetration without consent.

The offences, which took place at two Perth aged care homes between July 2022 and January 2023, are alleged to have been committed against three elderly women who were staying in the facilities at the time.

The women, who were aged in their 70s to 90s, were staying at Aegis and Ferndale aged care homes in Perth's northern and eastern suburbs.

Aegis, which employed Wema as a carer, said it was working with local authorities to investigate the case.

Members, we know how vulnerable aged care residents can be and that’s why it’s important to make sure they are in safe, trusted environments that provide a high level of care.

1. Ensure the centre is properly accredited and meets the government’s minimum standards.

2. Ask to see the care plan the centre will develop and how they involve the elderly person in their decisions.

3. Review the centre’s medication policy to make sure medications are being managed properly.

4. Read all documents thoroughly, including admission agreements, discharge policies, and informed consent.

Key Takeaways

• A care worker at a Perth aged care facility has been charged with several counts of sexual crimes against multiple elderly residents.
  • It’s important to take steps to ensure our elderly family members are in safe, trusted environments.
  • When looking for an aged care centre, it’s important to check for proper accreditation and review documents such as admission agreements, discharge policies and informed consent.
  • Members are encouraged to do their homework and to always be on the lookout for any changes in behaviour in family members living in aged care.

We also recommend checking out this downloadable e-book where we share some tips on how to plan your move to an aged care facility.

Members, we understand this news is distressing to read about, but it’s a reminder to do your homework and to always be on the lookout for any changes in behaviour in those around you.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.
I would like to see a national photographic register set up for all care facilities to access so that these lowlifes can not sneak past authorities and get jobs in other aged care facilities. They should be named and shamed to protect the vulnerable people. I'm sick to death of authorities that protect criminal rights but do nothing to protect their victims.

pexels-photo-339620.jpeg

Key Takeaways

Jail the parasite and screen worker's properly like working with children screening

There needs to be more protection for the elderly.
I was shocked to see at my uncle's nursing home only one registered nurse.

Years ago my grandfather told me that that the nurses at his nursing home was making him sit in a chair at 5am with no clothes on. When I asked them they denied it so one morning at 5.30 am I snuck in from a side door and what did I find ....my Grandfather sitting in a chair with nothing but a sheet over him ..the reason they gave me was that he had wet the bed. I asked then why didn't they change his bed and why didn't they dress him.
I went off that much I thought I would have been banned.

Nursing homes need more registered staff and a high security check

pexels-photo-339620.jpeg

Key Takeaways

That is disgusting. Those poor ladies,my heart goes out to them. One of my daughters was doing course in training to be a care worker in nursing homes,about 25 years ago. She was doing her stint in a nursing home and saw a male carer who she knew from where we lived. She straight away went to management because he was known to police and had been charged with sexual abuse. The manager went looking for him and he was locked in a shower cubicle with a female resident. They called police and he was removed and after checking with several female residents he was charged with sexual abuse. My daughter is our full time carer and said she will never put us in a home.

My husbands mother has advanced dementia and the possibility of her being abused in the nursing home that she is resident in is something that has kept me awake at night, at her advanced age (94) and with low cognitive ability if something was happening to distress her it would be very hard to discover. We trust the nursing home, they have always treated her well and the home has an excellent reputation but with the constant struggle to find enough staff within the industry it is always a concern that some sick individual may be able to get past the stringent application process.

Hi everyone, it's Paula from Gippsland Victoria here.Ive worked in Nursing Home for years, I'm retired now but the sort of thing does happen I'm afraid. My Mother was in another Nursing home and it did happen. It wasn't in the wing that my Mum was,but it was pretty scary for me and my siblings.

I would like to see a national photographic register set up for all care facilities to access so that these lowlifes can not sneak past authorities and get jobs in other aged care facilities. They should be named and shamed to protect the vulnerable people. I'm sick to death of authorities that protect criminal rights but do nothing to protect their victims.
Unfortunately this type of thing is happening more than we can every imagine . We need this talked about more and for something to be done just talking gets us know where the famous saying is "actions speak louder than words" boy that's true ! It's time to stop sweeping it under the carpet . I'm now 71 I was brought up in geriatric hospitals as my mother use to run and owned them . We always lived on the premises and I myself have worked in different ones , some absolutely brilliant and some not so good . I'm scared to death about my foreseeable future the thought of going into one of these places absolutely is horrifying to me! as I have no one that can speak up for me there is only me myself and I , so it's going to be a very hard choice when the time comes , my mother's last nursing home that she owed was sold to a man that just absolutely ruined the good name of our particular Hospital . I will be extremely brief about what I have to say about it ! he the man that purchased the hospital ( I swear this to be 100% true )the man was slowly trying to get rid of the old staff that work for my mother , because he had changes he wanted to make and definitely not for the better and he knew that changes could not happen with the old stuff still there I know for a fact that he would go to bed and leave patients sorry residents by themselves until he was ready to get up in the morning he didn't do this all the time about 3-4 nights aweek and cut down on the amount of food the residents would have and so many more things , I don't really want to talk about I don't think I need to talk about them just trust me it's not good . The nursing home my mother was in before she passed away was one of the better ones around but it also had it's problems , my mother was lucky she had me to keep an eye on things for her . Some times I stayed with her until very late until I thought she was a sleep . A few nights I did stay there as she did not want me to leave so I did stay there and I must say while I was there all night not one person came into her room to check on her keeping in mind that she had dementia . It was sad to see some residents that had no-one at all , I would try and spreed my self around and spend a little time with most and tried to be a voice for them to a point . I have seen so much and heard so much and nothing seems to change over time it's still to much talk , it's way past time for for action . hopefully in the near future something will be done but I don't know what the answer is . I Suppose a good starter would be more physical interaction in the right way not the wrong way like there has been .

Unfortunately this type of thing is happening more than we can every imagine . We need this talked about more and for something to be done just talking gets us know where the famous saying is "actions speak louder than words" boy that's true ! It's time to stop sweeping it under the carpet . I'm now 71 I was brought up in geriatric hospitals as my mother use to run and owned them . We always lived on the premises and I myself have worked in different ones , some absolutely brilliant and some not so good . I'm scared to death about my foreseeable future the thought of going into one of these places absolutely is horrifying to me! as I have no one that can speak up for me there is only me myself and I , so it's going to be a very hard choice when the time comes , my mother's last nursing home that she owed was sold to a man that just absolutely ruined the good name of our particular Hospital . I will be extremely brief about what I have to say about it ! he the man that purchased the hospital ( I swear this to be 100% true )the man was slowly trying to get rid of the old staff that work for my mother , because he had changes he wanted to make and definitely not for the better and he knew that changes could not happen with the old stuff still there I know for a fact that he would go to bed and leave patients sorry residents by themselves until he was ready to get up in the morning he didn't do this all the time about 3-4 nights aweek and cut down on the amount of food the residents would have and so many more things , I don't really want to talk about I don't think I need to talk about them just trust me it's not good . The nursing home my mother was in before she passed away was one of the better ones around but it also had it's problems , my mother was lucky she had me to keep an eye on things for her . Some times I stayed with her until very late until I thought she was a sleep . A few nights I did stay there as she did not want me to leave so I did stay there and I must say while I was there all night not one person came into her room to check on her keeping in mind that she had dementia . It was sad to see some residents that had no-one at all , I would try and spreed my self around and spend a little time with most and tried to be a voice for them to a point . I have seen so much and heard so much and nothing seems to change over time it's still to much talk , it's way past time for for action . hopefully in the near future something will be done but I don't know what the answer is . I Suppose a good starter would be more physical interaction in the right way not the wrong way like there has been .
Hi Sandy,Fist let me say how brave you are to write what you did,it must have been very hard for you to do that.As I said in my post my Mum was in Aged Care and I worked in the Industry. Cheers Paula.

Reactions: Zoya
There needs to be more protection for the elderly.
I was shocked to see at my uncle's nursing home only one registered nurse.

Years ago my grandfather told me that that the nurses at his nursing home was making him sit in a chair at 5am with no clothes on. When I asked them they denied it so one morning at 5.30 am I snuck in from a side door and what did I find ....my Grandfather sitting in a chair with nothing but a sheet over him ..the reason they gave me was that he had wet the bed. I asked then why didn't they change his bed and why didn't they dress him.
I went off that much I thought I would have been banned.

Nursing homes need more registered staff and a high security check
I was present at a Nursing Home visiting my (then) 99 year old friend when his wet bed was made up.

The staff member tried to make up his bed without changing the sheets. When l challenged him, the staffie threw back the sheets saying, "Where?", but was able to put his hand directly onto the wet area without any prompting from me. I raised this with the company via email but received no reply.

His sheets were changed, but how often has this happened here & how many other Nursing Homes have staff doing the same thing to our elderly?

On an earlier occassion he was dropped onto his butt in the shower by a Staffie causing continued pain to him. The non-Aust staffie however took no blame for this. Is it any wonder Nursing Homes are closed down at times at the inconvenience of elderly patients.

I was present at a Nursing Home visiting my (then) 99 year old friend when his wet bed was made up.

The staff member tried to make up his bed without changing the sheets. When l challenged him, the staffie threw back the sheets saying, "Where?", but was able to put his hand directly onto the wet area without any prompting from me. I raised this with the company via email but received no reply.

His sheets were changed, but how often has this happened here & how many other Nursing Homes have staff doing the same thing to our elderly?

On an earlier occassion he was dropped onto his butt in the shower by a Staffie causing continued pain to him. The non-Aust staffie however took no blame for this. Is it any wonder Nursing Homes are closed down at times at the inconvenience of elderly patients.
I was fuming when I saw Pa was telling the truth. I've never been so angry and it still makes my blood boil 30 years later. This grandfather raised me and we had just lost my grandmother . My uncle their only son was buried on Monday , I was pretty much the only one who visited him so yeh I was watching out although I saw no problems except when I found out there was only one RN. I had to arrange his funeral and was surprised the staff wanted to watch the live stream

Reactions: Zoya and Ezzy
I was fuming when I saw Pa was telling the truth. I've never been so angry and it still makes my blood boil 30 years later. This grandfather raised me and we had just lost my grandmother . My uncle their only son was buried on Monday , I was pretty much the only one who visited him so yeh I was watching out although I saw no problems except when I found out there was only one RN. I had to arrange his funeral and was surprised the staff wanted to watch the live stream
You have every reason to be angry. To think these actions by staff have been happening for so long but it has only been in the last few years that Govt. Authorities have started listen & take action. Why have those poor individuals had to wait so many years before action was taken? Don't they realise that that could be them tomorrow being subjected to this abuse, so the quicker they act the better.

Outsiders seem to think that elderly folk make up these incidences, they say they have Alzheimer's & the like. Perhaps some do, but why would anyone make up a story about rough treatment to themselves?

I don't believe staff shortages are to blame if this problem has existed for so long, but staff complacency. At my friend's Nursing Home most of the staff were from overseas & are possibly not the right people for the job. I have noticed & have been told by immigrants themselves that they only want to work in the hospital related jobs. One problem my friend had was he could not easily communicate with them because they didn't have a proper grasp of the English language.

Reactions: Zoya