Hidden sign stumps motorist for $300!

Navigating the urban jungle can be tricky enough without the added hassle of unfair parking fines.

However, what happens when the very signs meant to guide us are hidden from view?

This was the predicament faced by a motorist who was slapped with a $300 fine, sparking a debate on the fairness of such rules.

Juan's story is a cautionary tale for all drivers. After pulling over along William Street in Sydney's CBD to let a friend out, he was fined $300 by a city ranger.

The 'no stopping' sign, hidden behind the lush foliage of a council-planted tree, was invisible to him and other drivers.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 122418.jpg
A motorist was fined $300 for parking in a ‘no stopping’ zone, but the sign was blocked by a tree planted by the city council. Credits: Facebook / 9News

‘How are drivers supposed to know we can't do something if the sign is completely out of sight, in this case, by a tree planted by the council?’ Juan argued.

‘The last sign you can see when driving towards the intersection is a parking sign, so you would naturally think it is possible to stop after that.’

Juan's attempt to contest the fine, complete with photographic evidence of the obscured sign, was met with rejection. The City of Sydney Council insisted that the signs were clear, despite later actions to trim the tree suggesting otherwise.

This incident raised important questions about the responsibilities of both motorists and councils.

When the City of Sydney Council was asked if they had pruned the tree after the fine was imposed, no direct answer was provided.

However, a spokesperson said, ‘City rangers and tree inspectors proactively report signs that are obstructed by vegetation,’ and the required maintenance will be undertaken upon reporting.

‘It is a motorist’s responsibility to always park legally,’ they asserted.

‘If motorists believe a mistake has been made, they can request a review of the fine through Revenue NSW or elect to have the matter heard in court.’

This was not the first time that parking enforcement had been a source of contention.

Recently, another motorist was fined in Sydney for a similar parking violation due to confusing signs.

In a more previous case, a scooter driver was also fined over parking violations, sparking yet another debate among spectators.
Key Takeaways
  • A motorist received a $300 fine for stopping in a 'no stopping' zone, despite the sign being obscured by a bushy tree.
  • The City of Sydney Council has stood by the penalty even after the tree was pruned to reveal the previously hidden sign.
  • The driver, Juan, contested the fine and provided evidence that the no stopping sign was not visible, but his appeal was rejected.
  • The City of Sydney stated it is a motorist's responsibility to park legally and that obscured signs can be reported for maintenance, but did not confirm if the pruning was a result of the fine appeal.
What are your thoughts on Juan’s situation? Have you ever been fined due to an obscured sign? What was your experience in dealing with the council or authority? Share your stories and tips in the comments below!

Sponsored
It is more than likely that the council is not in desperation to try and obtain a measly $300 compared to their pockets which are probably full anyways.
Pretty sure if it was me I would go all out to get the fine squashed, and then once over turned, sue the council for fees incurred for having to use solicitors for my defense.
The ranger was probably doing his/her job but the same ranger could have overlooked the fine and report the obstruction to his/her superiors.

The sign can be seen.
Common sense would tell a person it's a No Stopping zone near a busy city intersection in a dedicated turning lane.
Just arrogance to think you can stop wherever you like.
Yes you can see the sign but you can't read it. It's the council's responsibility to make sure signs are visible.

YEs I have a disabled sticker displayed in my car window but gc council tried to fine me any way. After hotly stating this is not going to happen and multiple emails back and forth I went to local member showing my dsp parking ticket. Finally just before it was going to go to court they pulled back and seen common sense that I had dsp parking ticket a few years prior given to me. I could not believe how much they harrased me office workers in gc council who was working there needed glasses before giving fines. They need to re look at things it's a money making rackets

Yes you can see the sign but you can't read it. It's the council's responsibility to make sure signs are visible.
And yes it's behind the tree, BUT you can see there's a sign, a RED SIGN, whcih means only one thing.....NO STOPPING.p.PNG

• Angry
Reactions: Tipsy
If you can see the sign you can read it. As I said, total arrogance to think you can just stop in View attachment 44658a dedicated turning lane, in the city, and potentiality hold up traffic.
You must have x-ray vision. I blew that picture up and the only way you could read that would be to get out of your car and go and pull the foliage out if the way, breaking their law.
Obviously it's a stupid place to stop and let somebody out, but that doesn't negate the fact that it is the council's responsibility to make sure the sign is clear otherwise it might as well not be there and then they wouldn't have been able to fine him unless they have fines for stupidity. The onus is on them.
Not everybody knows what colour every sign means, your just smarter than the average 🐻 I guess, as Yogi Bear would say.

This typical of councils grab for money and won't clean up the mess they create. Councils say they regularly inspect trees and the signs obscurity, but I know from experience the citizen has to complain to the council before anything will be done to trim trees.

You must have x-ray vision. I blew that picture up and the only way you could read that would be to get out of your car and go and pull the foliage out if the way, breaking their law.
Obviously it's a stupid place to stop and let somebody out, but that doesn't negate the fact that it is the council's responsibility to make sure the sign is clear otherwise it might as well not be there and then they wouldn't have been able to fine him unless they have fines for stupidity. The onus is on them.
Not everybody knows what colour every sign means, your just smarter than the average 🐻 I guess, as Yogi Bear would say.
Well a licenced driver should be well aware of that sign.

Signs are not placed every 5 metres for the lazy, an ADULT should use some more initiative and look for the sign, NOT assume, especially where that section of road is. Looks like we have found the driver, have you paid the fine yet.
Here's another sign for you, why couldn't you see this one. As I said, signs are not placed every 5 metres, you have to look around. p.PNG

• Angry
Reactions: Tipsy
This typical of councils grab for money and won't clean up the mess they create. Councils say they regularly inspect trees and the signs obscurity, but I know from experience the citizen has to complain to the council before anything will be done to trim trees.
Yeah..... like 2 years later like the entrance to the main road from where I live.... the trees and shrubs were overgrown blocking the view into a main line of traffic. Took them over 3 years to clear them.

Signs are not placed every 5 metres for the lazy, an ADULT should use some more initiative and look for the sign, NOT assume, especially where that section of road is. Looks like we have found the driver, have you paid the fine yet.
Here's another sign for you, why couldn't you see this one. As I said, signs are not placed every 5 metres, you have to look around. View attachment 44661
😩😫😵😵‍💫

Here's another sign for you, why couldn't you see this one. As I said, signs are not placed every 5 metres, you have to look around. View attachment 44661
And while you're looking out for all these obscure signs,instead of concentrating on the road, you run up the rear end of the car in front of you.