This driver got slammed with a $300 fine due to 'confusing' parking signs!

Parking in a bustling city can be a daunting task, especially when there are a lot of rules to keep in mind.

One driver found this out the hard way when he was hit with a hefty fine for parking in what he believed was a legal spot.

The incident has sparked a heated debate online, with motorists divided over the interpretation of the parking signs and the fairness of the fine.

On New Year's Eve, the driver parked his car under a 'clearway special event' sign outside a cafe in Mosman, a suburb on Sydney's Lower North Shore.

He was later shocked to receive a $302 fine for parking in a clearway.

Untitled design.jpg
The driver said he failed twice to appeal his $302 fine. Image: Facebook

The driver contested the fine twice, arguing that the signs erected by Mosman Council indicated that the clearway commenced at 6 pm. However, his appeals were unsuccessful.

The driver took to a community social media page to share his frustration, asking whether the fine was a 'blatant attempt by the council to generate revenue'.

He vowed to take the matter to court if necessary. He also shared photos of two nearby parking signs, one of which was positioned 'directly above' his car.

The signs in question have caused confusion among the online community.

One sign seems to suggest that the special event clearway was in effect from 9 am to 6 pm on December 26 and from 6 pm to 3 am between December 31 and January 1.

This would support the driver's claim that the clearway did not start until 6 pm on New Year's Eve.

However, another sign appears to indicate that the clearway was in effect from 9 am to 6 pm on December 26 and implies the same timings continued from December 31 to January 1, as well as onto 3 am.

If this interpretation is correct, the driver would indeed have been in breach of the rules.

The online community is divided over the interpretation of the signs.

Some sympathise with the driver, agreeing that the signs are confusing and seem to indicate different timings.

Others, however, believe the driver was wrong and breached the clearway rule by parking his car on New Year's Eve afternoon.

‘Clear as mud. Good luck with your fight, I’d certainly be challenging this,’ one person wrote.

‘Looks to me it says special event no parking 9 am-6 pm 31 December to 1 January,’ another said.

‘It was a special event clearly as per the sign 9 am-6 pm. So don’t waste other people’s time,’ said a third.

Remember, it's always better to spend a few extra minutes finding a legal parking spot than to rush and risk getting a fine. Stay safe and happy parking!

Key Takeaways
  • A driver has sparked a heated debate regarding a $302 fine received for parking under a confusing street sign in Mosman, Sydney.
  • Photos shared reveal signs that appear inconsistent about the timing of a 'clearway special event' enforcement.
  • Community members on social media have expressed mixed opinions, with some finding the signs confusing and others believing the driver was at fault.
  • The driver has appealed the fine twice and is considering taking the matter to court.

What's your take on this parking sign debacle? Have you ever been caught out by confusing parking signs? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy, Raggy and BJM
Sponsored
The sign says it clearly . No parking 31st or the 1st due to special events.

The normal parking is

Mon to Friday no stopping between 3.30 to 6.30 pm

Mon to Friday 1 hour parking between 8.30am and 3.30 pm

What is so hard about it . I come across signs like this all the time in Sydney
I don't think it's confusing either, although I cannot see part of the sign clearly. I would get out of the car and double-check closely. Also if you are familiar with the area, Sydney to Hobart is on 26 December and NYEs from 31 December to 1 January, so it seems like common sense to me.

I don't think it's confusing either, although I cannot see part of the sign clearly. I would get out of the car and double-check closely. Also if you are familiar with the area, Sydney to Hobart is on 26 December and NYEs from 31 December to 1 January, so it seems like common sense to me.
There is and has always been special events road closure New years Eve,
Mardigras , Sydney to Hobart and so many other events.
I always get out and double check signs

Don't park between 2 and 6.30 mon to fri (combine both no parking signs to be sure).

I never go into our city of Perth so l cannot comment on whether he is right or wrong. The Special sticker adhered here is folded over & the photo therefore does not show all the details. Even enlarging this all l could see was Sun Dec 31 & Mon Jan 1. The times were covered.
Was this a deliberate error on the part of the person being fined?

To present a full case in his favour, the least he could have done was to flattened this prior to taking a photo using a stick to reach this ( even wet the back of the paper to temporarily hold this in place for photographing ).

Reactions: VK2LEE