Hidden Cotton On 'price match' rule revealed by savvy shopper—you might be missing out!

Nowadays, savvy shopping often involves not only finding the best items but also securing the best prices.

But what if you could take advantage of online discounts while shopping in-store? This discovery by a Queensland mum about a little-known policy at clothing retailer Cotton On suggests that you might just be able to do that!

It all started when Tenielle Hamlin, from Brisbane, decided to buy some outfits for her child.

Before visiting the shop, she scoured the Cotton On website, where she found a few items on a 30 per cent sale. However, when she strolled into her local Cotton On store, she noticed that there was no sign indicating an ongoing sale, leaving her confused.

photo.jpg
Tenielle Hamlin, a Cotton On shopper from Brisbane, shared the retailer’s ‘price match’ rule. Credit: @tenbunny/TikTok

‘I took the items to the counter. I said to the lady, “Oh, I saw that these were on sale online. I’m just checking that they’re 30 per cent off here as well?”,’ she narrated in a video.

According to Tenielle, the employee at the retailer replied that they were not on sale, but clarified that ‘ as soon as you mention that you’ve seen the sale online, they can “price match”.’

‘I ended up getting the items at the price they were listed at online, which is great!’ She added.

Her great advice is set to help not just other mums but all Aussies battling tightening household budgets. She encouraged other shoppers to speak up and take advantage of this rule.

‘If I hadn't said anything, I would've ended up paying full price,’ she said.

Comments flooded Tenielle's video, remarking on this surprising revelation.

‘Oh my, not me just buying something full price,’ one commented.

‘Oh, seriously! shall remember that. Went into Cotton On for shoes my daughter wanted, but they were not on sale in-store but online. We got them online,’ another shared.

Retail employees also saw the video and affirmed the existence of the policy.

‘Hi! I'm a worker, and we can absolutely honour the online price, as long as it's the live website screen! We don't always know about online sales,’ a person claimed.

Another person stated: ‘Just a couple of things, you need to show the live site with the product you want to be matched, and you can't use your perks vouchers with any discounts.’

Other shoppers also mentioned their experience, with one writing: ‘Did that last time and saved $35. So glad I checked online accidentally that day.’

Shoppers also claimed that other retailers like Glassons, Just Jeans, Dotti and Bonds have similar policies.

‘Most retail stores in Australia do this as it's not worth losing the sale as a whole!’ Someone else commented.

As of writing, Cotton On has not released a statement about this policy.

You can watch Tenielle’s video here:

Key Takeaways
  • A Queensland mum has shared a money-saving tip she discovered when shopping at Cotton On.
  • The woman found that some items on sale online were not marked as on sale in-store, but the store could price-match the online cost.
  • Some Cotton On employees in the comments confirmed the policy, indicating this is common practice amongst retail stores in Australia.
  • The woman encouraged other shoppers to speak up and ask for the online price if they spot a discrepancy to save money.

What do you think of this story? Have you experienced this ‘price match’ policy at your local retailers? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Nowadays, savvy shopping often involves not only finding the best items but also securing the best prices.

But what if you could take advantage of online discounts while shopping in-store? This discovery by a Queensland mum about a little-known policy at clothing retailer Cotton On suggests that you might just be able to do that!

It all started when Tenielle Hamlin, from Brisbane, decided to buy some outfits for her child.

Before visiting the shop, she scoured the Cotton On website, where she found a few items on a 30 per cent sale. However, when she strolled into her local Cotton On store, she noticed that there was no sign indicating an ongoing sale, leaving her confused.

View attachment 30351
Tenielle Hamlin, a Cotton On shopper from Brisbane, shared the retailer’s ‘price match’ rule. Credit: @tenbunny/TikTok

‘I took the items to the counter. I said to the lady, “Oh, I saw that these were on sale online. I’m just checking that they’re 30 per cent off here as well?”,’ she narrated in a video.

According to Tenielle, the employee at the retailer replied that they were not on sale, but clarified that ‘ as soon as you mention that you’ve seen the sale online, they can “price match”.’

‘I ended up getting the items at the price they were listed at online, which is great!’ She added.

Her great advice is set to help not just other mums but all Aussies battling tightening household budgets. She encouraged other shoppers to speak up and take advantage of this rule.

‘Oh, seriously! shall remember that. Went into Cotton On for shoes my daughter wanted, but they were not on sale in-store but online. We got them online,’ another shared.

‘Hi! I'm a worker, and we can absolutely honour the online price, as long as it's the live website screen! We don't always know about online sales,’ a person claimed.

Another person stated: ‘Just a couple of things, you need to show the live site with the product you want to be matched, and you can't use your perks vouchers with any discounts.’

Other shoppers also mentioned their experience, with one writing: ‘Did that last time and saved $35. So glad I checked online accidentally that day.’

Shoppers also claimed that other retailers like Glassons, Just Jeans, Dotti and Bonds have similar policies.

‘Most retail stores in Australia do this as it's not worth losing the sale as a whole!’ Someone else commented.

Key Takeaways

• A Queensland mum has shared a money-saving tip she discovered when shopping at Cotton On.
  • The woman found that some items on sale online were not marked as on sale in-store, but the store could price-match the online cost.
  • Some Cotton On employees in the comments confirmed the policy, indicating this is common practice amongst retail stores in Australia.
  • The woman encouraged other shoppers to speak up and ask for the online price if they spot a discrepancy to save money.

What do you think of this story? Have you experienced this ‘price match’ policy at your local retailers? Let us know in the comments below!

Yes, the same thing happened to me at Just Jeans. You just need to either show them the online price on your phone or they can look it up online. This has always been available for as long as I’ve known.

View attachment 30351

Key Takeaways

But if you talk to places like Target they will tell you that the special is only if you are buying online. As they have different specials & prices if you buying either "In Store" or "On Line". And they wont match if you point it out.

View attachment 30351

Key Takeaways

dud this at Red rooster and was told only available for click an collect or delivery orders rrrrr

Reactions: croz and Ezzy

View attachment 30351

Key Takeaways

I went into a chemist once looking for a bottle of perfume and theirs was so much dearer than at another retailer that I saw on line cheaper that she actually went online and checked all these places out to find the cheapest price for me, then matched it with 10% discount on top. That was really good because the bottle was $110

Here we go again, this practice of not offering specials in-store when they are offered online is against our retail laws, Unfortunately, Fair Trading seems to have no interest in investigating these claims and punishing the offenders.

• Haha
Reactions: siameezer
I went to dusk yesterday for something I'd seen on line with 30% off, when I got there, there was no sale signs, so I asked and was told that the sale finished that day, and she had taken the signs down in the morning, but she did sell it to me at the sale price.

Reactions: Defiant540

View attachment 30351

Key Takeaways

This is also true of Pet Barn. If you need Dog or Cat flea and worming treatments, Google their ONLINE Sale prices and show them a screenshot of if. They will always match it. 😃

It seems to me if it is on sale online it should be the same instore. Not everyone knows how to look these things up. So the way it is now if you go in-store and don't know about the online you are being penalised.

Had it at Dan Murphy's when it was a member/on line sales for pick up (paying on line before pick up) but when picking up were told if we mentioned they would match if you walked into the store to buy and could pay in store - I try to limit on line payments.

View attachment 30351

Key Takeaways

Thought that was illegal.

I was in a cotton on body store recently when a customer asked if they were doing the offer on an item she had seen online. They said if it was cheaper on line she should buy it there as they weren’t affiliated with that offer. Way to go to
lose a sale 🤷‍♀️🙄

View attachment 30351

Key Takeaways