Heroic bank teller saves couple from losing $80,000 to cunning scammers

In an era where online scams are becoming increasingly sophisticated, it's reassuring to know that there are still vigilant individuals out there who can help us avoid falling into these traps.

One such hero is Erin Bugg, a customer advisor at the National Australia Bank (NAB) branch in Rosny, Tasmania, who recently saved a couple from losing a staggering $80,000 to a cunning online investment scam.

The couple had approached the bank after their account was blocked during an attempt to transfer $40,000 to an online investment firm.

The firm had promised a whopping 12 per cent return on their term deposit and a guaranteed payout if the company went bust.

SDC 3.png
A NAB bank teller saved a couple from losing $80,000 to an online investment scam. Image source: Shutterstock.

The $40,000 amount was to be the first of two instalments, but Bugg's scam radar started to ping.

'If there was a scam red flags bingo card, “online investment opportunity” would be top of the list,' Bugg said.

'It sounded like an investment scam, and I was concerned this couple could lose their life savings.'

Despite the couple's insistence that it was a legitimate investment, Bugg decided to dig deeper.

The firm had a website and even news articles about it, but the rates they were offering seemed too good to be true.

'No one likes to be told they're being lied to, especially when they feel like they've done all the right things,' Bugg added.

'They had done their own research, and even spoken to the company on the phone. Then the wife mentioned the man [who] keeps ringing her to thank her for the investment and prompting her to open the account.'

'This sounded more alarm bells for me, and I continued to try to explain why this [was] likely a scam.'

The situation escalated when the couple, desperate to unblock their account and proceed with the investment, put the scammers on loudspeakers to convince Bugg of the firm's legitimacy.

'I was becoming very overwhelmed by the situation unfolding in front of me. I declined to speak to the “firm”, but I could hear them telling the customers, “Oh, NAB always flags us as a scam,”' she recalled.

Bugg's quick thinking and unwavering resolve saved the day as she advised the couple to visit the other bank where the 'firm' had an account to enquire about its legitimacy.

If that bank confirmed the account's legitimacy, then they would be free to proceed with the transaction.

A few hours later, the couple called back to confirm that Bugg had been right.

The other bank had confirmed that the account was not connected to the investment firm and strongly advised them not to transfer any money into it.

'It was such a relief to hear from the customer that they'd avoided being scammed,' Bugg said.

'I was put in a difficult position with all the pressure on me, and I'm so glad I didn't waiver–I stood my ground and followed my gut, preventing them from losing their life savings.'
Key Takeaways
  • National Australia Bank (NAB) bank teller Erin Bugg intervened to prevent a couple from transferring $80,000 in two instalments to a scam online investment firm.
  • The firm promised high returns and guaranteed payouts, raising red flags for Bugg, who feared the couple could lose their life savings.
  • The NAB fraud team advised checking the legitimacy of the 'firm's' account with the bank it was held at, which led to the discovery that it was a scam.
  • Due to Bugg's vigilance and insistence, the couple avoided the scam and expressed gratitude for being saved from transferring their life savings.
You can stay updated on the latest news on scams through Scamwatch or through our very own Scam Watch forum.

Have you or someone you know ever encountered a similar situation? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below. Let's help each other stay safe from scams.

Sponsored
Once again, people's greed takes over.
The old saying "if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it most probably is a duck".
So many people do this, then scream blue murder when things go belly up
Expect the bank, or even the government, to reimburse them for their own greed and stupidity.
These people were very lucky. I hope they bought the teller a lotto ticket, or a bottle of whisky for his due diligence, despite their insistence.

12% return and payout when they go broke. A fool and their money comes to mind. Maybe this couple need a trustee appointed so that next time their greed gets the better of them. I'm going to guess the bank bashers on this site won't put up 'it's their money' commentary.

I received a text
saying it was from my bank telling me my app has been blocked and my accounts are not active and to fill out the forum to fix the problem.
I immediately checked my app which they had blocked and i phoned my bank immediately and was told they had not sent message and my accounts were active and to delete that message straight away as it is a scam i was told to uninstall and then install the app which fixed it.

Reactions: Reaper123