Hero or hothead? Controversial move by tradie at Bunnings sparks debate on social media

It's a story that's gained plenty of attention on social media recently, with hundreds expressing their opinion on a Sydney tradie's weekend stunt at Bunnings Warehouse.

The unsung hero of DIY enthusiasts and home renovators is James Aikten, who took a rather bold stand against a common problem at the home improvement store: customers who take advantage of the 'load and go' trade entry.

The head-turning move took place at the Bunnings in Artarmon on the lower North Shore of Sydney.

Sharing a funny photo of the saga online, a clearly fed up Mr Aikten vented his frustration at shoppers who misuse the trade entry and slow down his own purchases.

'This one's for every tradie that's been held up during the week at Bunnings by people that use the trade entry as easy access, taking their sweet time and looking through the nursery,' he wrote.

Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 9.25.16 AM.png
A row of cars parked inside the Bunnings store was holding tradies up. Credit: Facebook.

Then he went one step further – he double-parked his vehicle, blocking all the other cars in the undercover area.

'I double parked, blocking them all in at Artarmon Bunnings last Sunday,' he wrote, adding that all the calls made over the loudspeaker to move his ute only made him take longer.

'That just made me take my time and let them know that's how we feel during the week when we're trying to get work done and are held up by them,' he continued.

He also extended a shout-out to the person who helped him out in the caper – a fellow builder.

'Big thanks to the builder in the black ute,' he said. 'He saw what I did and just sat in his ute, keeping the mayhem boiling along, enjoying every minute.'

Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 9.25.22 AM.png
A tradie decided to double-park at a loading area in Bunnings to get back at customers who he claims held him up by using 'the trade entry as easy access'. Credit: Facebook.

As is often the case with social media, the comments on Mr Aikten's post were all over the place. Some people saw his double parking as a hilarious and brilliant move and were quick to express their support and admiration.

'Love this. I'll remember to do this next week,' one user commented, while another added, 'Not all heroes wear capes! Keep fighting the good fight, brave knight!'

Others, however, felt that his actions were immature and inappropriate. Some pointed out that the loading area isn't just for tradies and that anyone who needs to load bulky goods or timber can use it.

'Suck it up, princess. It’s not just for tradies,' someone commented.

Despite the mixed reactions, it's clear that the bold move struck a chord with many people. Some praised him as a hero, while others commended him for speaking out against a common problem at Bunnings.

Whatever your opinion on the matter is, it can't be denied this is a long-standing issue that needs to be addressed.

Key Takeaways

• A tradie pulled a stunt in Bunnings to get back at customers who he claims held him up.
  • He double-parked his ute, blocking customers in the loading area and taking his 'sweet time'.
  • The post quickly garnered a mix of reactions, with some approving of the tradie's actions and others thinking it was inappropriate.

What can we do to help? We can use the regular entry and car park instead.

Members, what do you think? Have you ever been frustrated because of individuals taking up space in the load-and-go area? Share your stories below, and let's start a conversation.

Sponsored
Shop online. Home delivery. It's 2023.
Have you ever paid delivery for a large supply of timber, and other building products. I would say probably not, or you would know how expensive this is, usually requiring a "hyab" .
Obviously if you have your own transport, ute or whatever, why would you pay for delivery.
Also you can sit around all day waiting for a promised morning delivery that doesn't turn up until 4.30pm, costing you a days work.
We're not talking about our weekly grocery shopping.

Okay my hubby is a tradie (though not self-employed) but we have only ever used that service area when we have had a bulky load and the hubby normally drives in there after we have made the purchase to load it up otherwise, we use the carpark and load as normal. When this happens, I am looking after the load while he gets the vehicle from the parking lot to drive into the service area so yes I can see this being a problem for a lone tradie when he/she has a large load to get and then would be p...ed of. Maybe Bunnings need to put some time lots into how long vehicles can park in the serve area.

Reactions: Marj53