Here's how to keep your bed sheets clean and smelling great!

After a long, hard day (or week!), all we want to do is jump into bed and relax in the clean comfort of our own sheets.

But have you ever stopped to think about how often you wash them? If you're like some people (like this man who said he only washes his sheets twice a year), the answer is probably 'not as often as I should'.

Sorry to break it to you, but your bed sheets are teeming with dirt, dust, sweat and other bacteria that can cause skin irritation and even illness.

That's why it's important to wash them regularly – at least once a week, according to experts. And if someone in your household is sick, it's best to wash them even more frequently.

And if you're washing your sheets the same way you wash the rest of your clothes, you might not be doing them justice.

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 3.02.34 PM.png
Washing your linens at least once a week, as recommended by most experts, will help keep them clean and fresh. Credit: Pexels/cottonbro studio.

In this article, we'll be sharing some top tips from a cleaning guru on how you can get your bed sheets fresh and clean – and smelling amazing too. You might be surprised to discover you have been washing them wrong this whole time!

TikTok account Refined Living said in a recent video that rather than washing your sheets with liquid detergent and fabric softener, you should instead be using a simple homemade solution.

This type of washing routine is apparently perfect for sheets, but it will also work with many types of laundry loads, including colours and whites.

'This is your sign to wash your sheets once a week,' the video explained, along with a demonstration that shows the easy process.

Here's what you need to do:

First of all, you should add a capful of detergent into your machine along with ¼ cup baking soda (bicarbonate of soda), ½ cup vinegar (fabric softener), and 5 drops of lavender essential oil during the rinse cycle.

The vinegar acts as a fabric softener, while the bicarbonate soda is 'perfect for deep cleaning'. Meanwhile (and this is our favourite part!), the lavender essential oil not only makes your sheets smell fresh but it will also help promote better sleep by increasing melatonin production. We could all do with some extra Zzzs these days!

Refined Living posted the video on social media, and it wasn't long before it racked up an impressive one million views, with hundreds of users commenting on how much they loved the tip.

'Why is this so satisfying?' one user wrote in the comments section, while another added: 'Thank you for reminding me, I'm doing this tonight!'

It was clear from the comments section that there was one thing people were interested in: just how often everyone else washes their bedsheets.

'You're telling me there are people who don't wash their sheets at least once per week?' one woman wrote, whilst others confessed to only washing them every 3 months or so!

Check out the video for some helpful advice on how often you should wash your sheets and linens.

Credit: Wirecutter.

What about you, members? How often do you wash your bedsheets, and what do you do to keep them clean and smelling good all the time? Please give the rest of us here at the SDC a tip or two!

Sponsored
I wash mine once a week and if I'm sick eg I washed my sheets on a Friday, got Covid on the Saturday then washed my sheets on the Wednesday.

Will try the bi carb of soda and lavender oil but not the vinegar I really don't want the smell in my sheets.

I hear my kids complaining about the bathrooms smelling of vinegar so can't do vinegar on the sheets as well

We wash each week. We have a top loader. We put vinegar in the rinse cycle. Never have a problem, no smell and sheets are fresh. We were told by a repair man not to use fabric softener as it can damage the machine. Since using vinegar have not had any problems.

I only use fabric softener for towels. I never have an issue with my washing machine.
I have a front loader & I use 60 degrees for towels & bed linen. This temperature cleans them better, plus the machine gets a clean.
Of course, this can't be done with a top loader.

Reactions: Ricci
I wash mine once a week and if I'm sick eg I washed my sheets on a Friday, got Covid on the Saturday then washed my sheets on the Wednesday.

Will try the bi carb of soda and lavender oil but not the vinegar I really don't want the smell in my sheets.

I hear my kids complaining about the bathrooms smelling of vinegar so can't do vinegar on the sheets as well
I wash my towels in carb soda and vinegar and they definitely don’t smell like vinegar. They are soft and smell fresh linger

I was bought up in a time when Monday was sheet day. I mostly still do this routine but not always as we can get a lot of rain in Queensland & the weather play's a big part in my routine. I don't have a dryer as I can't afford to run one. as for the Lavender oil then that is fine as I love the smell of Lavender but not everyone does in my house.

Reactions: RTS and Ricci
I've always washed my sheets once a week. I grew up with a mother who put the sheets in a hot copper every Monday. Onviously I didn't do that. But bi-carb for washing is a must and vinegar in the rinse water works wonders and definitely doesn't smell unless you use too much. You only need 2 tablespoons in a large top load machine. I always used eucalyptus oil in the rinse to kill germs but lavender sounds nice. Hanging out in the sunshine is a must and never wash with any other items especially towels and clothes.
These days I live in residential care because of my disability. Our beds are stripped twice a week and the beds remade with clean sheets. Our laundry uses vinegar and eucalyptus oil. Our sheets are always beautiful.

Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci
I was bought up in a time when Monday was sheet day. I mostly still do this routine but not always as we can get a lot of rain in Queensland & the weather play's a big part in my routine. I don't have a dryer as I can't afford to run one. as for the Lavender oil then that is fine as I love the smell of Lavender but not everyone does in my house.
Lavender is lovely and loved by ladies but for the hearty blokes try CEDAR OIL, not pine.

Having spent my formative years living in an old peoples home (my parents ran it) to me, lavender is the smell of little old ladies!! Sorry, but I'm not ready to join their ranks any time soon so I'll give lavender a miss thanks!! :ROFLMAO: :(
Plus, that purple rinse in their hair that my father's mother used.

After a long, hard day (or week!), all we want to do is jump into bed and relax in the clean comfort of our own sheets.

But have you ever stopped to think about how often you wash them? If you're like some people (like this man who said he only washes his sheets twice a year), the answer is probably 'not as often as I should'.

Sorry to break it to you, but your bed sheets are teeming with dirt, dust, sweat and other bacteria that can cause skin irritation and even illness.

That's why it's important to wash them regularly – at least once a week, according to experts. And if someone in your household is sick, it's best to wash them even more frequently.

And if you're washing your sheets the same way you wash the rest of your clothes, you might not be doing them justice.

View attachment 9384
Washing your linens at least once a week, as recommended by most experts, will help keep them clean and fresh. Credit: Pexels/cottonbro studio.

In this article, we'll be sharing some top tips from a cleaning guru on how you can get your bed sheets fresh and clean – and smelling amazing too. You might be surprised to discover you have been washing them wrong this whole time!

TikTok account Refined Living said in a recent video that rather than washing your sheets with liquid detergent and fabric softener, you should instead be using a simple homemade solution.

This type of washing routine is apparently perfect for sheets, but it will also work with many types of laundry loads, including colours and whites.

'This is your sign to wash your sheets once a week,' the video explained, along with a demonstration that shows the easy process.

First of all, you should add a capful of detergent into your machine along with ¼ cup baking soda (bicarbonate of soda), ½ cup vinegar (fabric softener), and 5 drops of lavender essential oil during the rinse cycle.

The vinegar acts as a fabric softener, while the bicarbonate soda is 'perfect for deep cleaning'. Meanwhile (and this is our favourite part!), the lavender essential oil not only makes your sheets smell fresh but it will also help promote better sleep by increasing melatonin production. We could all do with some extra Zzzs these days!

Refined Living posted the video on social media, and it wasn't long before it racked up an impressive one million views, with hundreds of users commenting on how much they loved the tip.

'Why is this so satisfying?' one user wrote in the comments section, while another added: 'Thank you for reminding me, I'm doing this tonight!'

It was clear from the comments section that there was one thing people were interested in: just how often everyone else washes their bedsheets.

'You're telling me there are people who don't wash their sheets at least once per week?' one woman wrote, whilst others confessed to only washing them every 3 months or so!

Check out the video for some helpful advice on how often you should wash your sheets and linens.

What about you, members? How often do you wash your bedsheets, and what do you do to keep them clean and smelling good all the time? Please give the rest of us here at the SDC a tip or two!

I've always washed my sheets once a week. I grew up with a mother who put the sheets in a hot copper every Monday. Onviously I didn't do that. But bi-carb for washing is a must and vinegar in the rinse water works wonders and definitely doesn't smell unless you use too much. You only need 2 tablespoons in a large top load machine. I always used eucalyptus oil in the rinse to kill germs but lavender sounds nice. Hanging out in the sunshine is a must and never wash with any other items especially towels and clothes.
These days I live in residential care because of my disability. Our beds are stripped twice a week and the beds remade with clean sheets. Our laundry uses vinegar and eucalyptus oil. Our sheets are always beautiful.
I wash my sheets weekly though in summer I have been known to wash them twice a week. I've always used vinegar as a fabric softener but now looking at introducing the bicarb & Lavender after reading this article

View attachment 9384

Add some lavender essential oil to a bottle of vinegar and keep this in the laundry to use as a fabric softener. I use on towels, clothes and other bed linen, there is no smell of vinegar in the clothes they just come out soft. I have a front loader and have been told not to use fabric softener. I will try the bi-carb, I guess it would go in with the laundry detergent.