Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Hecla toaster

compressed-Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 8.18.46 PM.jpeg
Image Source: Lori Dickson/Facebook

Who remembers the classic Hecla toasters? Nothing quite nails that perfectly cooked crumpet—golden brown on top, soft and fluffy inside better than these toasters. Do you still have this? Share your memories here.

I used to have one of these many moons ago. Don't know how many toasts I burnt but I was good at it. Thankfully I now have a fully automatic you beaut toaster that does everything including not burning the toast providing it is on the right setting.

Reactions: Jo Piper3 and DLHM
Love my toast done one side. This was perfect. Did a fantastic job. Why, Why, Why do they stop making things that work and work for a long long time.

Yes, I have used one of those toasters quite a few years ago. We also had a four-sided metal frame with holes and a wire clamp that was placed on a campfire to make toast when we were camping. You would place your bread on the frame and let the clamp down to hold the bread while it toasted on the fire.

I have a bad memory of one of these. When I was about 10, home alone and feeling like toast, I found it not working. The elements weren't glowing so silly me put the untoasted bread against the elements. I ended up getting thrown across the kitchen and smashed into the pantry.

That day, I learnt what 240 volts was all about!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Kevin. A. and DLHM
Can they be found in camping equipment stores eg BCF? I don’t know, just a suggestion.
I can't find any brand new in the Hecla style. Maybe they don't make them anymore due to safety considerations and Australian Design Rules.

There's a couple on Ebay from $40 to $70 plus a daggy looking Hotpoint version for $20.

Reactions: Kevin. A. and DLHM
Yes, I have used one of those toasters quite a few years ago. We also had a four-sided metal frame with holes and a wire clamp that was placed on a campfire to make toast when we were camping. You would place your bread on the frame and let the clamp down to hold the bread while it toasted on the fire.
For camping trips, Dad made a toast cooker with 3 prongs out of wire. It was like a small pitchfork and fashioned from a single piece of wire. It had a long handle so you could hold it over the coals and flip it over when each side was done. Dad was pretty good at making things out of what he had.

Reactions: Kevin. A.