Heated debate continues: Where should the checkout divider be placed? Coles weighs in

Just last week, we wrote about a heated debate topic that has been boggling the minds of many supermarket shoppers in Australia.

We've all been there. You've just finished your weekly shopping and finally made it to the register. You grab the trusty plastic divider and plop it down on the conveyor belt, separating your groceries from the person in front of you. Easy peasy, right?

But wait, have you ever considered that there might be a more effective way to use the divider? Recently, a viral Facebook post had everyone questioning their checkout habits.

And it's not just regular Aussie folks who are weighing in on this debate! Even Ryan Vaughan, a TV weatherman from abroad, has joined the discussion, advocating for the horizontal placement of the divider.

Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 9.51.19 AM.png
Where should the checkout divider go? Credit: Facebook.

In his viral social media post, he claimed that many people don't know how to use the divider and advised placing it lengthways along the belt. His post has garnered over 13,000 comments since it was shared over the weekend, with many people divided over the weatherman's claims.

Some were blown away by Ryan's suggestion, flooding the comments with shock and disbelief. 'I've been doing it wrong this whole time. It makes more sense to do it that way,' one person admitted.

Another user chimed in, 'I didn't know it was for the sensor - I thought it was literally to divide the groceries so the cashier knows what belongs to the first person and the second person.' It seems that many of us have been in the dark about the real purpose of the plastic divider.

As one commenter put it, 'Well, it actually does make more sense to put it the long way, now that I think about it. It just feels like it's wrong.' It may take some time to adjust to this new method, but it looks like it's worth a try.

8IF9QtnyIdL3AAX0LMZglUyLjP_4u9SdqL-pcK4fi7uv-G3Dv7oT_WYmyvmrgy-NxM3qdNYJKaudvBC0XWAR12Bsu9jaIUD47DDZrnLbN23WT0J_153h5YYyujxV5H2erx5-12HcBj8zeb6GfOgg-Hw

Needless to say, we here at the SDC were pretty surprised by this revelation! And judging by the response we received from our readers last week, many of you were surprised too.

Understandably, some of you might find this whole debate a bit irrelevant. After all, the plastic divider does its job whether it's placed horizontally or lengthways.

Member @Macarj commented, 'Who said what is the right way? I have never had a problem.' @MHM added, 'There is no “right way” or “wrong way” to use the dividers. The person making this suggestion may have her own way of doing it, but as long as the proprietor of the shop allows it (or doesn't prescribe it) anyone is welcome to follow their own preference.'

Member @AngelAriel echoed these sentiments, stating that the whole thing is not 'rocket science.' They argued, 'Who is this person? What are their credentials for stating WE are doing it wrong and THEY are right?'

'What if their onion rolls down into your shop because it is not being held in place by a divider? Just put the divider 6” from the previous shopper's items as I do.'

So, while there are some strong opinions on both sides of the debate, it seems like there's no right or wrong way to use the checkout divider. As long as your groceries are separated from the next person's, you're doing just fine!

Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 9.51.07 AM.png
Some shoppers claim that placing the divider between the items, with the plastic bar running parallel to the food, is actually 'wrong'. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

The plastic divider debate continues to heat up, and it seems that even the supermarkets themselves are getting involved. But what do they have to say about it? Is there really a 'proper' and 'correct' way of using these dividers?

Well, according to a Coles spokesperson, 'Coles checkout dividers are a handy way for customers to separate their groceries when completing their shop.'

'The team members at checkout will always provide friendly customer service regardless of a customer's preferred method of placing their divider.'

In other words, feel free to use the divider however you prefer! While Woolworths and ALDI haven't commented on the matter yet, we can only assume they will echo the same sentiments as the Coles spokesperson.

So, whether you prefer to place the divider horizontally or lengthways, it seems that as long as you're using it to separate your groceries, you're doing it right! After all, as many members pointed out, there really is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to use the divider, and as long as it's serving its purpose, that's all that matters.

Members, we hope you now have some clarity on this topic! Let us know in the comments below which method you prefer and why. Are you on team 'wall' or team 'gap'? Have you always used the divider in one specific way, or are you open to trying out a new method?

Sponsored
Just last week, we wrote about a heated debate topic that has been boggling the minds of many supermarket shoppers in Australia.

We've all been there. You've just finished your weekly shopping and finally made it to the register. You grab the trusty plastic divider and plop it down on the conveyor belt, separating your groceries from the person in front of you. Easy peasy, right?

But wait, have you ever considered that there might be a more effective way to use the divider? Recently, a viral Facebook post had everyone questioning their checkout habits.

And it's not just regular Aussie folks who are weighing in on this debate! Even Ryan Vaughan, a TV weatherman from abroad, has joined the discussion, advocating for the horizontal placement of the divider.

View attachment 15088

In his viral social media post, he claimed that many people don't know how to use the divider and advised placing it lengthways along the belt. His post has garnered over 13,000 comments since it was shared over the weekend, with many people divided over the weatherman's claims.

Some were blown away by Ryan's suggestion, flooding the comments with shock and disbelief. 'I've been doing it wrong this whole time. It makes more sense to do it that way,' one person admitted.

Another user chimed in, 'I didn't know it was for the sensor - I thought it was literally to divide the groceries so the cashier knows what belongs to the first person and the second person.' It seems that many of us have been in the dark about the real purpose of the plastic divider.

As one commenter put it, 'Well, it actually does make more sense to put it the long way, now that I think about it. It just feels like it's wrong.' It may take some time to adjust to this new method, but it looks like it's worth a try.

8IF9QtnyIdL3AAX0LMZglUyLjP_4u9SdqL-pcK4fi7uv-G3Dv7oT_WYmyvmrgy-NxM3qdNYJKaudvBC0XWAR12Bsu9jaIUD47DDZrnLbN23WT0J_153h5YYyujxV5H2erx5-12HcBj8zeb6GfOgg-Hw

Needless to say, we here at the SDC were pretty surprised by this revelation! And judging by the response we received from our readers last week, many of you were surprised too.

Understandably, some of you might find this whole debate a bit irrelevant. After all, the plastic divider does its job whether it's placed horizontally or lengthways.

Member @Macarj commented, 'Who said what is the right way? I have never had a problem.' @MHM added, 'There is no “right way” or “wrong way” to use the dividers. The person making this suggestion may have her own way of doing it, but as long as the proprietor of the shop allows it (or doesn't prescribe it) anyone is welcome to follow their own preference.'

Member @AngelAriel echoed these sentiments, stating that the whole thing is not 'rocket science.' They argued, 'Who is this person? What are their credentials for stating WE are doing it wrong and THEY are right?'

'What if their onion rolls down into your shop because it is not being held in place by a divider? Just put the divider 6” from the previous shopper's items as I do.'

So, while there are some strong opinions on both sides of the debate, it seems like there's no right or wrong way to use the checkout divider. As long as your groceries are separated from the next person's, you're doing just fine!

View attachment 15089
Some shoppers claim that placing the divider between the items, with the plastic bar running parallel to the food, is actually 'wrong'. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

The plastic divider debate continues to heat up, and it seems that even the supermarkets themselves are getting involved. But what do they have to say about it? Is there really a 'proper' and 'correct' way of using these dividers?

Well, according to a Coles spokesperson, 'Coles checkout dividers are a handy way for customers to separate their groceries when completing their shop.'

'The team members at checkout will always provide friendly customer service regardless of a customer's preferred method of placing their divider.'

In other words, feel free to use the divider however you prefer! While Woolworths and ALDI haven't commented on the matter yet, we can only assume they will echo the same sentiments as the Coles spokesperson.

So, whether you prefer to place the divider horizontally or lengthways, it seems that as long as you're using it to separate your groceries, you're doing it right! After all, as many members pointed out, there really is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to use the divider, and as long as it's serving its purpose, that's all that matters.

Members, we hope you now have some clarity on this topic! Let us know in the comments below which method you prefer and why. Are you on team 'wall' or team 'gap'? Have you always used the divider in one specific way, or are you open to trying out a new method?
You are lucky if you can find the divider, either the cashier has them stacked out of reach or there are none at the checkout

View attachment 15088

View attachment 15089

surely there are more important things to talk about

It makes it look like you're being rude to the person behind you..... You don't want their shopping so close to yours. 🤔

And something might fall off your shopping and roll towards the next person?

This idea seems to be👎

My phone doesn't work well with this comments section and glitches from time to time. This can result in weird "comments" being posted that don't make sense. So here I am on my computer instead. Much betterer! : )

Anywho, when it come to the dividers, I've always regarded them as being used to separate my goods from customers on both sides. It also stops goods from rolling into another customer's area.

But, if we use it lengthways, goods can merge with other customers' goods and most irritatingly for some, it reduces the space available to load goods onto the conveyor belt.

If you have, say, three dividers going longways on the conveyor belt, that's up to a metre of wasted space that is not available for waiting customers to load their goods.

My phone doesn't work well with this comments section and glitches from time to time. This can result in weird "comments" being posted that don't make sense. So here I am on my computer instead. Much betterer! : )

Anywho, when it come to the dividers, I've always regarded them as being used to separate my goods from customers on both sides. It also stops goods from rolling into another customer's area.

But, if we use it lengthways, goods can merge with other customers' goods and most irritatingly for some, it reduces the space available to load goods onto the conveyor belt.

If you have, say, three dividers going longways on the conveyor belt, that's up to a metre of wasted space that is not available for waiting customers to load their goods.
The wasted space aspect is a great point! Though I imagine this must be an introvert's dream, to have the next customer further away because of the divider :LOL:

View attachment 15088

View attachment 15089

I’ve seen checkout guys put it horizontal so they don’t know either

View attachment 15088

View attachment 15089

I really dont care which way one places the blessed plastic divider. It serves its purpose even if used diagonally. Lets worry about something more important.

Reactions: Ezzy