Heartbreaking news: TV icon Paul O'Grady's sudden passing at 67 shocks fans and friends

The world is mourning the sudden passing of beloved British TV and radio presenter and comedian Paul O’Grady. The 67-year-old sadly passed away 'unexpectedly but peacefully' on Tuesday evening, according to his partner Andre Portasio.

'It is with great sadness that I inform you that Paul has passed away unexpectedly but peacefully yesterday evening,' Andre said.

'We ask, at this difficult time, that whilst you celebrate his life you also respect our privacy as we come to terms with this loss. He will be greatly missed by his loved ones, friends, family, animals and all those who enjoyed his humour, wit and compassion. I know that he would want me to thank you for all the love you have shown him over the years.'

The Liverpool native–once called ‘the Edith Piaf of day-time television’–was best known for his work as a TV and radio presenter, comedian, writer and published author, as well as his beloved drag queen persona Lily Savage.

Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 11.08.51 am.png
Paul is remembered as a ‘trailblazer’ and the ‘kindest, funniest man’. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Throughout his career, Paul presented The Paul O'Grady Show, Blind Date, Blankety Blank, Paul O’Grady’s Saturday Night Line Up and For the Love of Dogs, Me and My Guide Dog, a documentary about the burlesque performer Gypsy Rose Lee. He was also a BBC Radio 2 host for nearly 14 years, presenting his final show in August 2022.

As a self-proclaimed 'little old man', O'Grady developed his drag persona Lily Savage in 1978 and used his platform throughout the 80s and 90s to actively speak out for LGBTQ+ rights.

Savage was said to be inspired, in part, by O’Grady’s Aunt Chrissie. ‘She had a hard life, but she used to suck her cheeks in and fancy herself as Marlene Dietrich,’ he said.

Besides his own comedic and presenting work, O’Grady was known to be a passionate animal lover, serving as an advocate and long-time supporter of the Battersea Dogs and Cats Home in London.

He even joined the Queen Consort, Camilla, for an episode of For The Love Of Dogs in 2021 to mark the organisation’s 160th anniversary.

It’s clear Paul O’Grady’s work and personality have had a great impact on people around the world, as tributes pour in online.

Peter Tatchell said that O’Grady was ‘fierce in his beliefs and principles’.

‘He wasn’t one of these people where celebrity went to his head. He was still very down to earth. Whenever someone was in need, Paul O’Grady stepped in to offer help. He was such a kind, generous humanitarian.’

'This is so sad, I loved watching him when I was younger. The Paul O’Grady show was the best and even went to see it live many times,' one Twitter user wrote.

'Very sorry to hear that Paul O’Grady has passed. Such a great show person. I feel a Lily Savage marathon coming on tonight,' said another.

Fellow TV presenter Lorraine Kelly said that O’Grady was ‘the kindest, funniest man … Dogs are the best judge of character and they loved him.’

shutterstock_126986354 (1).jpg
Amanda Holden and Paul O'Grady arriving at the Collars And Coats Ball in 2012. Image Credit: Shutterstock

TV presenter Carol Vorderman said: 'He never judged the vulnerable, never judged the weak, never judged the misunderstood. He fought for them like a lion.'

Comedian Sandi Toksvig said: 'Working with Paul O’Grady was one of the greatest pleasures of my life. Funny, fearless and full of rage. The best. The world seems a little less bright.'

Key Takeaways

• British TV and radio presenter and comedian Paul O'Grady has died aged 67, 'unexpectedly but peacefully’.
  • O'Grady, also known for his drag queen persona Lily Savage, hosted various shows and was a BBC Radio 2 host for nearly 14 years.
  • He was a well-known animal lover and advocate, supporting Battersea Dogs and Cats Home in London.
  • Fans and followers of O'Grady have expressed their sadness and admiration for the beloved TV personality.

He is survived by his partner Andre, daughter Sharon, and grandchildren, Abel and Halo, as well as by his brother, Brendan, and sister, Sheila.
We here at Seniors Discount Club send our deepest condolences to Paul’s family, friends and fans. We hope you can take comfort in the knowledge that his legacy will live on in the hearts and minds of many for many years to come.

Are you a fan of Paul O’Grady’s work? Share your favourite memories of his shows, books or interviews in the comments below, and let’s remember him together.

Rest in peace, Paul O'Grady.

The Guardian put together a tribute to Paul's iconic moments. You can watch the video below:

Last edited:
Sponsored
The world is mourning the sudden passing of beloved British TV and radio presenter and comedian Paul O’Grady. The 67-year-old sadly passed away 'unexpectedly but peacefully' on Tuesday evening, according to his partner Andre Portasio.

'It is with great sadness that I inform you that Paul has passed away unexpectedly but peacefully yesterday evening,' Andre said.

'We ask, at this difficult time, that whilst you celebrate his life you also respect our privacy as we come to terms with this loss. He will be greatly missed by his loved ones, friends, family, animals and all those who enjoyed his humour, wit and compassion. I know that he would want me to thank you for all the love you have shown him over the years.'

The Liverpool native–once called ‘the Edith Piaf of day-time television’–was best known for his work as a TV and radio presenter, comedian, writer and published author, as well as his beloved drag queen persona Lily Savage.

View attachment 16480
Paul is remembered as a ‘trailblazer’ and the ‘kindest, funniest man’. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Throughout his career, Paul presented The Paul O'Grady Show, Blind Date, Blankety Blank, Paul O’Grady’s Saturday Night Line Up and For the Love of Dogs, Me and My Guide Dog, a documentary about the burlesque performer Gypsy Rose Lee. He was also a BBC Radio 2 host for nearly 14 years, presenting his final show in August 2022.

As a self-proclaimed 'little old man', O'Grady developed his drag persona Lily Savage in 1978 and used his platform throughout the 80s and 90s to actively speak out for LGBTQ+ rights.

Savage was said to be inspired, in part, by O’Grady’s Aunt Chrissie. ‘She had a hard life, but she used to suck her cheeks in and fancy herself as Marlene Dietrich,’ he said.

Besides his own comedic and presenting work, O’Grady was known to be a passionate animal lover, serving as an advocate and long-time supporter of the Battersea Dogs and Cats Home in London.

He even joined the Queen Consort, Camilla, for an episode of For The Love Of Dogs in 2021 to mark the organisation’s 160th anniversary.

It’s clear Paul O’Grady’s work and personality have had a great impact on people around the world, as tributes pour in online.

Peter Tatchell said that O’Grady was ‘fierce in his beliefs and principles’.

‘He wasn’t one of these people where celebrity went to his head. He was still very down to earth. Whenever someone was in need, Paul O’Grady stepped in to offer help. He was such a kind, generous humanitarian.’

'This is so sad, I loved watching him when I was younger. The Paul O’Grady show was the best and even went to see it live many times,' one Twitter user wrote.

'Very sorry to hear that Paul O’Grady has passed. Such a great show person. I feel a Lily Savage marathon coming on tonight,' said another.

Fellow TV presenter Lorraine Kelly said that O’Grady was ‘the kindest, funniest man … Dogs are the best judge of character and they loved him.’

View attachment 16481
Amanda Holden and Paul O'Grady arriving at the Collars And Coats Ball in 2012. Image Credit: Shutterstock

TV presenter Carol Vorderman said: 'He never judged the vulnerable, never judged the weak, never judged the misunderstood. He fought for them like a lion.'

Comedian Sandi Toksvig said: 'Working with Paul O’Grady was one of the greatest pleasures of my life. Funny, fearless and full of rage. The best. The world seems a little less bright.'

Key Takeaways

• British TV and radio presenter and comedian Paul O'Grady has died aged 67, 'unexpectedly but peacefully’.
  • O'Grady, also known for his drag queen persona Lily Savage, hosted various shows and was a BBC Radio 2 host for nearly 14 years.
  • He was a well-known animal lover and advocate, supporting Battersea Dogs and Cats Home in London.
  • Fans and followers of O'Grady have expressed their sadness and admiration for the beloved TV personality.

He is survived by his partner Andre, daughter Sharon, and grandchildren, Abel and Halo, as well as by his brother, Brendan, and sister, Sheila.
We here at Seniors Discount Club send our deepest condolences to Paul’s family, friends and fans. We hope you can take comfort in the knowledge that his legacy will live on in the hearts and minds of many for many years to come.

Are you a fan of Paul O’Grady’s work? Share your favourite memories of his shows, books or interviews in the comments below, and let’s remember him together.

Rest in peace, Paul O'Grady.

The Guardian put together a tribute to Paul's iconic moments. You can watch the video below:

Saddened to hear of Paul's sudden death. Loved his wit and humour as Lily Savage and his Patronage of the BDH. Will be sadly missed 😔💕

Reactions: Ricci and Penny4
Sad to hear this news and condolences to his family .Looking in the bright side we may get Re runs of his shows YAY

Reactions: Ricci