Healthy stovetop popcorn

nKnhz7jwNp_riqFsGOwn2_PMoIFzLZhe1ucDm_6S6QVK-Q7EEoHN_JU6Llrh_YFMkoPG1O15Li9qS6BzR4yx-EhFfMBE2f4JZMyvLclgCFRjnVFq3HbtUc8lBSXF9stWT_m6B6w6S2PqJpnjxKj3ULA

The perfect snack? Image Source:
Pexels

I (April) can safely say that popcorn is one of my favourite foods. It’s crunchy, a light, low-calorie snack (depending on toppings) and super cheap when made at home

All you need are popcorn kernels, a pot with a lid, oil and salt.

First, let’s talk oil.

Olive oil: This is the healthiest option and my current favourite! Just make sure you’re using medium heat.

Coconut oil: Did you know some cinemas cook popcorn in coconut oil? So you know it’s going to be tasty!

Method:

Start with two popcorn kernels to gauge the temperature. Once those pop, your oil is hot enough.

Leave the lid slightly off centre. That way, the popcorn doesn’t steam itself in the pot and lose crispness.

Now, simply wait for that beautiful sound of kernels popping. It’ll take a few minutes to finish popping and you’ll want to shake the pot every now and then to avoid burning.

Time to enjoy your popcorn!

I don’t add butter since the oil provides enough flavour. I do recommend adding some salt (to taste) and the pot makes it super easy to shake/mix it around.

Something I do love to use as a topping is nutritional yeast. Any vegetarians or vegans out there will know what I’m talking about. It’s a healthy vegan alternative that offers butter/cheesy flavour as well as a small dose of protein.

Now, members, what movie will you pair with your popcorn?

Reactions: alice888
Sponsored