Health officials issue alert after monkeypox outbreak in this state

In a recent development that has caught the attention of South Australians, health officials have issued a critical update regarding the emergence of three cases of mpox, formerly known as monkeypox, in the state.

This marks the first time the virus has been detected locally since 2022, raising public health and safety concerns.

The three individuals diagnosed with mpox include men in their 20s, 30s, and 50s.

Despite the understandable concern this news may bring, health authorities are reassuring the public that the risk of widespread transmission remains low.

shutterstock_2178275293.jpg
South Australia issued an alert after three cases of monkeypox were found in the area. Credit: Shutterstock

Mpox typically requires prolonged, close, or intimate contact for transmission, which means casual contact is less likely to result in the spread of the virus.

In 2022, South Australia had no reported cases of mpox, and only two cases were recorded during the global outbreak.

However, the situation has evolved in 2024, with the country witnessing 67 cases, 45 of which were reported in Victoria.

The renaming of monkeypox to mpox was a step to address concerns about stigmatisation and racism associated with the original name.

Mpox is a viral infection characterised by a distinctive rash and symptoms such as fever, chills, exhaustion, headache, muscle aches, backache, and swollen lymph nodes.

These symptoms can manifest up to 21 days after exposure, and the virus can be transmitted through skin-to-skin contact, contaminated items, or respiratory droplets.

An mpox vaccination is available and is being offered for free to eligible groups, including all sexually active gay, bisexual men, or men who have sex with men.

Dr Louise Flood, Deputy Director of the Communicable Disease Control Branch, urged those who are eligible to take advantage of the vaccine to protect themselves and others.

‘The Risk to the public is low. Mpox is not easily transmitted from person to person without prolonged close or intimate contact,’ she said.

‘If you do think you have mpox, seek medical advice and get tested.’

Mpox is a zoonosis, a disease that can be transmitted from animals to humans.

While it is typically associated with tropical rainforest areas of Central and West Africa, there is currently no evidence of animal-to-human transmission in Australia.

The disease is mainly spread through direct contact with infected body fluids, lesions, or respiratory droplets.

During the 2022 outbreak, a significant number of cases affected men who were sexually active with other men.

While most cases of mpox are mild and can be managed with over-the-counter treatments like paracetamol and hydration, individuals who are immunocompromised may be at greater risk of serious complications.
Key Takeaways
  • South Australia has reported three locally acquired cases of mpox (formerly known as monkeypox), marking the first occurrences in the state since 2022.
  • Health officials have emphasised that the risk to the general public is low, as mpox transmission usually requires prolonged, close or intimate contact.
  • An mpox vaccination is available, and free vaccines are being offered to eligible individuals, including all sexually active gay, bisexual, or men who have sex with men.
  • Mpox is a zoonotic virus typically spread to humans from animals, but there is currently no evidence of animal-to-human transmission in Australia; the disease can also be spread through direct contact with infected body fluids, lesions, or respiratory droplets.
Have you or someone you know been affected by the mpox outbreak? What measures are you taking to stay safe? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Wow…you guys have lost me. I thought this was supposed to be about monkeypox. And it IS Monkeypox, not that poxy mpox. 🙄
Oh!...and I thought you made it about political correctness

No, you thought wrong. You don’t get what I was saying a couple of days ago, despite you claiming you did. I called the disease monkeypox by its true name. You are trying to weasel out of twisting the whole story around to suit your own agenda. Have a read your last posts. Are you talking about monkeypox?

I know how subjects can lead onto other subjects, but you take it to a whole new level.

So do not presume to know what I’m saying. Ignore my posts and I’ll ignore yours. Enough said.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
No, you thought wrong. You don’t get what I was saying a couple of days ago, despite you claiming you did. I called the disease monkeypox by its true name. You are trying to weasel out of twisting the whole story around to suit your own agenda. Have a read your last posts. Are you talking about monkeypox?

I know how subjects can lead onto other subjects, but you take it to a whole new level.

So do not presume to know what I’m saying. Ignore my posts and I’ll ignore yours. Enough said.
LOL I am not trying to 'weasel' out of anything... a presumption??? Is there levels?? I can't help it if you are lost...I'm still looking for the Chinese Panda in Despicable you

Say whaaaat?

How about being called an "Aussie wog" or "white c**t"? Being glared at by Muslim whores in a shopping centre when you are 14 years of age. Pointed at and being yelled at in Arabic for being an white Australian adolescent in his own country. Arms doused in petrol, set alight and stabbed by Lebanese drug dealers for being anti heroin.

Don't ever talk to me being a racist. I am the supreme racist - against those who are racist and violent against me!

Reactions: DLHM
Say whaaaat?

How about being called an "Aussie wog" or "white c**t"? Being glared at by Muslim whores in a shopping centre when you are 14 years of age. Pointed at and being yelled at in Arabic for being an white Australian adolescent in his own country. Arms doused in petrol, set alight and stabbed by Lebanese drug dealers for being anti heroin.

Don't ever talk to me being a racist. I am the supreme racist - against those who are racist and violent against me!
Was I talking to you about being a racist? I KNOW you are a loud and proud racist.
“Israeli should not stop killing and bombing until all Palestinians are eradicated from the face of the earth”. - no mistaking your views. I will express my views - or are you thinking you can give me an ORDER?

Say whaaaat?

“Don't ever talk to me being a racist. I am the supreme racist - against those who are racist and violent against me!”

And justifiably so. 🇦🇺

Was I talking to you about being a racist? I KNOW you are a loud and proud racist.
“Israeli should not stop killing and bombing until all Palestinians are eradicated from the face of the earth”. - no mistaking your views. I will express my views - or are you thinking you can give me an ORDER?
Nothing will change me.

I have been permanently banned from an Australian sporting forum for being pro Israeli. I am not a Jew, Zionist or Israeli. I have an association with some Australian Jews, however, a very good friend of mine is Gazan.

Palestinians, in the main, aren't the problem. It is f**king Hamas who are the problem. Don't worry - Israel could level most of the Middle East, with or without US assistance.

Maybe the Israelis could use the racist virus called MONKEYPOX to eradicate the Arabs.... :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: DLHM
Nothing will change me.

I have been permanently banned from an Australian sporting forum for being pro Israeli. I am not a Jew, Zionist or Israeli. I have an association with some Australian Jews, however, a very good friend of mine is Gazan.

Palestinians, in the main, aren't the problem. It is f**king Hamas who are the problem. Don't worry - Israel could level most of the Middle East, with or without US assistance.

Maybe the Israelis could use the racist virus called MONKEYPOX to eradicate the Arabs.... :ROFLMAO:
I know nothing will change you - wasn't trying to (an assumption?) As always, I don't get your point - you jumped in to say ...something but I have no idea what - you are a victim? It's all about you...again? I don't take orders from you...no 'Sieg Heil' from me.

Oddly enough, India is probably more advanced in science and teaching than is Australia to judge by the names on research papers by collaborating authors from the USA, PR China, Korea and India and the work of certain Indian mathematicians, as well as that of the Indian excellent doctors and surgeons who work in our hospitals alongside good Indian nurses. There are occasion when I consider Australia more "third world" in how it treats research and other important social issues.
Bullshit, bet you're Indian, bellend.

• Wow