Health experts raise concerns over escalating cases of infectious bowel disease

Like any living organism, bacteria are constantly evolving, adapting, and finding ways to survive.

As such, medical experts have observed that the highly contagious bowel infection known as shigellosis (caused by bacteria of the genus Shigella) is becoming increasingly resistant to antibiotic treatment—a worrying development indeed.

Shigellosis is characterised by a sudden onset of symptoms, including diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, fever, and abdominal cramps.

It can appear as quickly as 12 hours after exposure and has the potential to rapidly worsen, especially in vulnerable populations such as young children, older adults, and individuals with weakened immune systems.

Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 2.47.40 PM.png
Cases of a highly contagious bowel infection are on the rise in Victoria. Credit: Pixabay/geralt.

Typically, these symptoms persist for about 5-7 days, and most shigellosis cases resolve without requiring hospitalisation. Shigella, the bacteria responsible for this condition, thrives in the human intestine and is commonly transmitted through contaminated food or through direct person-to-person contact, such as unprotected intercourse.

It's important to note that some individuals infected with Shigella may not display any symptoms themselves but can still transmit the bacteria to others.

It is crucial for us to remain vigilant about any potential biological threats that may emerge in our communities. This is especially important given the recent cases of shigellosis that appear to be linked to specific high-risk activities such as travelling to other countries.

With the awareness of the existence of such infections, many of us are left wondering: what steps can we take to safeguard ourselves from shigellosis, or any other contagious diseases for that matter?

Luckily, the answer is simple. The most effective method to stop the spread of Shigella is by practising good personal hygiene and washing your hands regularly. It is important to wash your hands thoroughly with soap, paying extra attention after using the restroom and before handling food.

It is also crucial to supervise toddlers and young children to ensure they wash their hands properly.

When you are travelling, experts recommend drinking only treated or boiled water and avoiding swallowing water from ponds, lakes, or untreated pools.

Victoria Health particularly recommends that anyone engaging in sexual contact with another person should use condoms to protect themselves from the potentially devastating consequences of sex-transmitted diseases like shigellosis.

Key Takeaways

• Cases of shigellosis, a highly contagious bowel infection, are on the rise in Victoria.
  • Shigellosis, characterised by diarrhoea, fever, nausea, vomiting and abdominal cramps, can cause severe illness and complications in young children, older people and the immunocompromised.
  • Many cases are occurring among returned travellers.
  • Health authorities are advising everyone to practise good hygiene, such as frequently washing hands thoroughly, especially after using the toilet and before eating or preparing food.

If you believe you may have been exposed to shigellosis, contact your doctor immediately for a full diagnosis and treatment. Early action can be critical and could save you from long-term, potentially life-threatening health issues.

When it comes to your well-being, it's always best to be prepared, proactive, and vigilant. Members, stay safe, and be sure to keep your guard up at all times!

What are your thoughts on this news? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I think you would have already caught it from your partner b4 sex actually happened, if it's airborn
Sorry no, it's not airborne at all. It's a bacterial infection caused by ingesting the pathogen which then causes severe inflammation and death of the cells lining the colon. It is the one of the leading causes of diarrhea worldwide.

Working in the city and having lunch alot in the food court I have seen many many people going to the bathroom and walk straight out. If I had to use a bathroom while out I not only wash my hands but also once outside hand sanitised as well.
I do not use the hand dryers , I have been told bacteria breeds in them
Point of interest, have you ever noticed that hospitals always have paper towel dispensers in their patient toilets and not hand dryers 🤔

Point of interest, have you ever noticed that hospitals always have paper towel dispensers in their patient toilets and not hand dryers 🤔
The main issue with hand dryers is that they distribute droplets both inside the dryer that then pools so providing a damp warm place for bacteria to multiply but also in the surrounding area again allowing the bacteria to multiply. Unsuspecting people then touch those contaminated areas and transfer the bacteria to their mouth (or nose or eyes) and so spread diseases. That's why hospitals and similar facilities will usually provide single-use paper towels only.

I cant help feeling a lot of these faecal based illness's are caused by people forgetting the basic rule.
Your bumhole is an EXIT not an ENTRY.

And shopping centres need to convert the doors of their toilet facilities into either automatic opening (recognition at 2 metre distance of a person approaching) from outside and inside or remove the external doors so you don’t have to touch anything especially when YOU have washed your hands with soap, dried them and then have to touch a door to get you out of the facility, a door that someone before you has touched without washing their hands. Have seen so many just putting their hands under running water for a couple of seconds without using soap or really rubbing their hands together. Wherever there are paper towels provided to dry your hands I take an extra one, open the door with it and then throw it into a bin somewhere outside the toilet facility. Once had someone at work question a male for using the toilet and not washing his hands - his response was quite shocking about what he had touched.

Reactions: Thecheesequeen
Thank you for letting us know. I live in Victoria :/
No offence but what has living in Victoria got to do with it? Are you just stating what State you live in incase you contract it or is there something about my State l am unawares of? 🤔🤷‍♀️😕

Working in the city and having lunch alot in the food court I have seen many many people going to the bathroom and walk straight out. If I had to use a bathroom while out I not only wash my hands but also once outside hand sanitised as well.
I do not use the hand dryers , I have been told bacteria breeds in them
Yep, after leaving the loo & touching the door after ladies who don't wash their hands do, l always use hand sanitiser 🤢

Reactions: Suzanne rose
And shopping centres need to convert the doors of their toilet facilities into either automatic opening (recognition at 2 metre distance of a person approaching) from outside and inside or remove the external doors so you don’t have to touch anything especially when YOU have washed your hands with soap, dried them and then have to touch a door to get you out of the facility, a door that someone before you has touched without washing their hands. Have seen so many just putting their hands under running water for a couple of seconds without using soap or really rubbing their hands together. Wherever there are paper towels provided to dry your hands I take an extra one, open the door with it and then throw it into a bin somewhere outside the toilet facility. Once had someone at work question a male for using the toilet and not washing his hands - his response was quite shocking about what he had touched.
I think it's mainly the old shopping center loos that still have entry doors. These days you just walk in & touch the cubicle door. Which is another great reason to thoroughly wash your hands.

No offence but what has living in Victoria got to do with it? Are you just stating what State you live in incase you contract it or is there something about my State l am unawares of? 🤔🤷‍♀️😕
I think the original article said that it was most prevalent in Victoria.