Health benefits of a banana – according to its ripeness

If there is a fruit out there that can be considered as the go-to snack for people who are looking to eat healthily, it would probably be the banana.

Bananas contain around 100 calories each and are rich sources of potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C and fibre. At the same time, they are low in fat, which makes them perfect for those who are trying to shed some weight.

But did you know that the nutritional benefits of a banana also depend on its ripeness?

So, what does the healthiest banana really look like?

uvbxiPO-cb97URn0FLeb331FmPlc2cre0e1sbGn6Cw6gV_7GgsgRdEiSNGodmHIR73h30kaL2dlmNKOIPcqivTivD2H21uqEqAPYVbDqgJ1NKRAkP0QZ059JiOep60de-NB4WzF_

Green bananas are less sweet, and yellow bananas are easier on the stomach. Credit: Sharon Mollerus/Flickr.

According to experts, green or under ripe bananas are full of starch, more specifically, "resistant" starch.

This is a form of starch that the body struggles to break down (hence the term "resistant"), so it passes straight through the gut. This means that having this nutrient in your body makes your digestive system work a little harder.

This resistant starch also boosts the digestive enzymes that help us digest carbs and absorb vitamins from food, as well as protect us against any unfriendly microorganisms.

Green bananas fill you up quickly, but they can also make you feel gassy or bloated. And since they contain less sugar and are lower on the glycemic index, people who suffer from diabetes are advised to eat more green bananas.

As the banana ripens, the starch is converted into sugar. Yellow or completely ripe bananas are typically sweet and soft, and most people enjoy eating them raw.

While the yellow variety is higher on the glycemic index (meaning, they may increase your blood sugar), they are actually easier to digest. There is less starch for your body to break down, and your digestive system will soak up the nutrients quicker.

According to dietitian Dr Sarah Schenker, yellow bananas have more health benefits than green ones.

"Bananas contain several compounds, such as carotenoids, which are linked to eye health and cancer prevention, that become more available when the banana ripens," she says.

yBAcH2qsNw4VLlyAl6VB0EVlt3g_RwbDb9greUL2TBdnlBMzoDcWwd9-rNbILCzKckUo5UOYd8P-lQlMFx42fQb18vXpWrB7UBEBCGzF2SL8QeY60KBse_ar4ZPlpBv-YyEm5v1W

Spotted and brown bananas could be used to make baked treats. Credit: Pixabay.
Yellow bananas with brown spots indicate that even more starch has been converted to sugar. The greater number of brown spots a banana has, the more sugar it contains.

These overripe bananas are so rich in antioxidants that they have been linked to cancer prevention. Those brown spots produce a substance called tumour necrosis factor (TNF) which has the ability to combat abnormal cells and boost our immunity against cancer.

At this point, the banana is near the end of its cycle. Brown bananas appear shrivelled and mushy, and are practically all sugar.

But a fully brown banana is also an antioxidant powerhouse. Consuming brown bananas is extremely good for your immune system.

According to Dr Schenker, you can also use them to naturally sweeten your food as a replacement for sugar. So we like mashing them up to make some tasty treats, such as banana bread, pancakes, and even chocolate cake!

What about you, members? How do you prefer to eat your bananas?

Sponsored
They ripen so quickly I buy them well on the green side and like them best when the brown spots are just starting. Love them ripe in Banana muffins cake or bread.

• Love
Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
Health benefits of a banana – according to its ripeness

If there is a fruit out there that can be considered as the go-to snack for people who are looking to eat healthily, it would probably be the banana.

Bananas contain around 100 calories each and are rich sources of potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C and fibre. At the same time, they are low in fat, which makes them perfect for those who are trying to shed some weight.

But did you know that the nutritional benefits of a banana also depend on its ripeness?

So, what does the healthiest banana really look like?

uvbxiPO-cb97URn0FLeb331FmPlc2cre0e1sbGn6Cw6gV_7GgsgRdEiSNGodmHIR73h30kaL2dlmNKOIPcqivTivD2H21uqEqAPYVbDqgJ1NKRAkP0QZ059JiOep60de-NB4WzF_

Green bananas are less sweet, and yellow bananas are easier on the stomach. Credit: Sharon Mollerus/Flickr.

According to experts, green or under ripe bananas are full of starch, more specifically, "resistant" starch.

This is a form of starch that the body struggles to break down (hence the term "resistant"), so it passes straight through the gut. This means that having this nutrient in your body makes your digestive system work a little harder.

This resistant starch also boosts the digestive enzymes that help us digest carbs and absorb vitamins from food, as well as protect us against any unfriendly microorganisms.

Green bananas fill you up quickly, but they can also make you feel gassy or bloated. And since they contain less sugar and are lower on the glycemic index, people who suffer from diabetes are advised to eat more green bananas.

As the banana ripens, the starch is converted into sugar. Yellow or completely ripe bananas are typically sweet and soft, and most people enjoy eating them raw.

While the yellow variety is higher on the glycemic index (meaning, they may increase your blood sugar), they are actually easier to digest. There is less starch for your body to break down, and your digestive system will soak up the nutrients quicker.

According to dietitian Dr Sarah Schenker, yellow bananas have more health benefits than green ones.

"Bananas contain several compounds, such as carotenoids, which are linked to eye health and cancer prevention, that become more available when the banana ripens," she says.

yBAcH2qsNw4VLlyAl6VB0EVlt3g_RwbDb9greUL2TBdnlBMzoDcWwd9-rNbILCzKckUo5UOYd8P-lQlMFx42fQb18vXpWrB7UBEBCGzF2SL8QeY60KBse_ar4ZPlpBv-YyEm5v1W

Spotted and brown bananas could be used to make baked treats. Credit: Pixabay.
Yellow bananas with brown spots indicate that even more starch has been converted to sugar. The greater number of brown spots a banana has, the more sugar it contains.

These overripe bananas are so rich in antioxidants that they have been linked to cancer prevention. Those brown spots produce a substance called tumour necrosis factor (TNF) which has the ability to combat abnormal cells and boost our immunity against cancer.

At this point, the banana is near the end of its cycle. Brown bananas appear shrivelled and mushy, and are practically all sugar.

But a fully brown banana is also an antioxidant powerhouse. Consuming brown bananas is extremely good for your immune system.

According to Dr Schenker, you can also use them to naturally sweeten your food as a replacement for sugar. So we like mashing them up to make some tasty treats, such as banana bread, pancakes, and even chocolate cake!

What about you, members? How do you prefer to eat your bananas?
I love 🍌 and eat one everyday. Once they start to look like they’re on the turn or in summer I peel them wrap them in clingfilm and freeze them. I take one out when I’m ready and slice it adding it to my cereal. It’s just one way of not wasting them and time having to keep running to the shops.
I also put pull the skins into strips and place them around my plants in my garden as they break down and add nutrients to the soil. My plants seem to thrive on them especially good around the roses.

Reactions: Ricci
Ha Ha! Ricci's home is likened to mine. Never time to let them go brown. I LOVE banana fritters but need to watch my weight. No I simply cannot eat them green. I NEED one now. Toodlepip.

• Love
Whenever I buy bananas, I put one or two or three in the fridge. They can last for several days, and even if the skin turns dark in colour, they are still very good to eat. DO NOT throw them out even if the skin is almost black.