Hate parking headaches? State government axes controversial parking measure

Navigating the ins and outs of parking regulations is often a source of frustration for many drivers.

Still, there's good news on the horizon for those who have been at odds with one of the country's parking enforcement tactics.

New South Wales has decided to scrap the contentious ticketless parking system, reinstating the traditional paper tickets that offer immediate notification of fines.

In a controversial move made in May 2020, the NSW government trialled the ticketless system in parking.

This system empowered parking officers to issue infringements without slapping a ticket on the driver's windscreen, making it an unwelcome surprise in the mail weeks later.

john-matychuk-yvfp5YHWGsc-unsplash.jpg
The NSW government scrapped the ticketless system. Credit: Unsplash

This ticketless system, although proven lucrative for the government, has been a source of widespread frustration among motorists.

Not finding a ticket on the windscreen instantly stripped away any chance of the driver documenting the scene or gathering evidence in case they wanted to dispute the fine.

In response to the public sentiment, NSW Finance Minister Courtney Houssos made a decisive shift.

In a letter to the councils across the state, the Minister ordered an immediate stop to the ticketless system and called for the reintroduction of traditional paper tickets when issuing parking fines.

The Minister also barred any future councils from employing this system.

'Providing immediate notification to drivers is the right thing to do and is an important first step to restoring community trust in the administration of the fines system,' Houssos wrote.

'This could be as simple as a note, which could take the form of a standardised pre-printed card, noting that a fine has been issued. Doing so will allow drivers to take their own photos and note down relevant details.'

Houssos said that the note left on drivers' windscreens doesn't necessarily have to contain the actual infringement details.

However, she emphasised that it should, at the very least, inform people ‘at a minimum’ that a fine is on the way.

Revenue NSW's findings indicate that ticketless fines have generated significant profits for the government.

In 2023, councils across the state amassed $236 million through this system, representing a substantial increase from the pre-ticketless era.

Nearly $140 million was garnered from the issuance of 749,000 ticketless fines.

Comparatively, before the trial phase of ticketless fines, councils only collected $198 million in revenue from parking fines in 2018.

Peter Khoury from the National Roads and Motorists' Association (NRMA), a vocal critic of the ticketless system, stated, ‘If motorists only learn they have been fined weeks later, it takes away the transparency of the scheme and stops motorists from getting their own evidence.’

'It is also not a deterrent. If you park at the beach and you see parking fines on people's windscreens, it reminds people that parking officers are about and to do the right thing.'

Changes in road regulations may also lead to confusion and miscommunication.

In a previous story, state police discovered that motorists were unaware of the recent reduction in speed limit, leading to the withdrawal of fines issued to drivers. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• Ticketless parking infringements in New South Wales (NSW) have been scrapped due to public disapproval.
  • NSW Finance Minister Courtney Houssos ordered councils to revert to using paper tickets for parking fines to restore community trust.
  • The reintroduction of paper tickets will allow drivers to gather evidence if they wish to challenge a fine.
  • Revenue from ticketless fines was significantly higher than from traditional fines, with NSW councils collecting $236 million in 2023 through the scheme.
What do you think of removing the ticketless system? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I agree completely that parking fines should be in paper form, left secured behind the wipers.

It is good to know that a decision to revert to this practise has been made.

I do not agree with the 'paper' being a note warning of the coming fine though (see attached).

The Parking Officer will have been at the site, s/he will have written on paper to confirm fine issue. S/he should in fairness note the actual offence and the exact fine payable in the circumstances.

Reintroduction of ticketing forms is necessary for all Councils Statewide for uniformity.

This way, the fine will be out. There will be no double handling and money won't be spent on other staff and technology in issuing the intended 'actual fine notice'.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240318-064657.png
    Screenshot_20240318-064657.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
What idiot govt (looking at you Gladys) would create an very clear and evident form of bureaucratic nightmare. Most people that (potentially) over stayed the time allocation, would just think they dodge a bullet. Will point out, as it only applied to NSW it was a very NSW centric story (as often is the case on this site).

Reactions: Davmes and VK2LEE
Councils are supposed to work for Us, but I think that went the way of the horseless carriage, the government think we work for them. Talk to and get to know 95% of any councilman and you'll see what I mean, they're not in it to help the public.

I am from WA. Recently on visiting my son I went with my daughter in-law into Grafton to shop.
I noticed that in many areas you had to reverse into parking bays, holding up traffic in the process and, I should imagine causing damage to other parked cars, infact I saw this happen on two occasions in less than an hour. Many people are just not too good at reversing into small spaces.
I realise you still delay traffic backing out but as you have much more space to reverse into I can't see the sense in this idea.
I am not aware of this anywhere in WA, although I could be wrong.
Would be interested to know which way causes the most damage.

A police officer has to advise one verbally that one is being arrested at the time one is being arrested and I believe what for and in addition that one is not obliged to say anything. It seems that the NSW Councils prefer to believe in not doing so until one has no chance to arrange any defence. The Minister has been very sensible in advising NSW Council to desist from ticketless parking fines.

Councils are supposed to work for Us, but I think that went the way of the horseless carriage, the government think we work for them. Talk to and get to know 95% of any councilman and you'll see what I mean, they're not in it to help the public.
Local councils have no recognition under the constitution, it's the State govt that introduces the laws that LGA administer. No point talking to 95% of them, only the one that represents the ward you are registered in needs to listen. Vast majority of councilors use local govt as a stepping stone to their next political ambition. Plenty of former mayors (a weekend byelection winner in Qld was a former mayor).

Reactions: Odette123
I got hit with one of these magically appearing in my letter box one day. It stunned me as to how quick they had gotten it to me as I had unusually been in the general area only the day prior, and hadn't parked anywhere. Finally after stressing for a while reread the thing. Ah, I could go and check their photos. Yes, not my car - not even the same colour, make, model, nor was the number plate anything similar. A quick call to them to rectify it, but then there was the long agonizing wait to receive their letter confirming that it wasn't my vehicle, which did arrive but many weeks after the fine due date.

A police officer has to advise one verbally that one is being arrested at the time one is being arrested and I believe what for and in addition that one is not obliged to say anything. It seems that the NSW Councils prefer to believe in not doing so until one has no chance to arrange any defence. The Minister has been very sensible in advising NSW Council to desist from ticketless parking fines.
Being arrested for a crime is far different to being fined for a parking offence. Time you read some legislation and understand the difference. Red light cameras, speed cameras both do not advise you of fines until you get it in the mail, these parking fines are no different.

I agree completely that parking fines should be in paper form, left secured behind the wipers.

It is good to know that a decision to revert to this practise has been made.

I do not agree with the 'paper' being a note warning of the coming fine though (see attached).

The Parking Officer will have been at the site, s/he will have written on paper to confirm fine issue. S/he should in fairness note the actual offence and the exact fine payable in the circumstances.

Reintroduction of ticketing forms is necessary for all Councils Statewide for uniformity.

This way, the fine will be out. There will be no double handling and money won't be spent on other staff and technology in issuing the intended 'actual fine notice'.
What's wrong with a notice under the wiper? A ticket under the wiper can be removed by anyone, totally UNSECURED.

Red light cameras, speed cameras both send out fines, you don't know at the time, this is no different.

It is amazing g that Northern Beaches Council has just introduced paperless parking fines. Hope they get the message!!!! You should be able to photograph the scene when you intend to contest the fine

Reactions: Ezzy
Being arrested for a crime is far different to being fined for a parking offence. Time you read some legislation and understand the difference. Red light cameras, speed cameras both do not advise you of fines until you get it in the mail, these parking fines are no different.
A bit different.

Most of the time you'd know if you'd sped up to get through the set of lights or if you are driving over the speed limit and you may even see the flash.

So you sit and wait with dread.

Parking, not so much.

What's wrong with a notice under the wiper? A ticket under the wiper can be removed by anyone, totally UNSECURED.

Red light cameras, speed cameras both send out fines, you don't know at the time, this is no different.
Oh I think with red light and speed cameras you know, or at least suspect.

In years gone by, I've known of people getting paper parking fines.

I've never heard of any saying the actual paper fine had been stolen from their car.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

My daughter received two ticketless fines in the mail within the same week. She had no opportunity to take photos or gather evidence. I don't think she nor anyone else that has received ticketless parking fines should have to pay now that the powers to be have realised that ticketless fines are unfair.

Reactions: Annna
I forces really think it is time to do away with these govts within govts that run there own private police as they are just relics from eras long gone and let the state or federal govts do there work

I've never heard of any saying the actual paper fine had been stolen from their car.

Has anyone had this happen to them?
I've not had it happen, but I have seen it.

I lived on a street between a school and the railway station, and observed a pair of kids walking down both sides of the road strip parking tickets off several cars.

Worst part about it was the parking rules for the area had only just been changed and wasn't well signposted, so many people were probably unaware until the penalty notices arrived.

Houssos said that the note left on drivers' windscreens doesn't necessarily have to contain the actual infringement details. This shows beyond doubt that while the government was shamed into scrapping this unfair policy, it was too valuable a source of revenue to reinstate the system as was. The people MUST take Houssos to court and force:

a. full restitution of the system and:
b. blistering compensation to those wrongfully treated.

With paperless fines it left the door wide open for corruption and dishonesty. Imagine a parking inspector who wants to "catch up" on his "qouta". All he has to do is lodge these fines and the recipients have just about no form of defense.

My daughter received two ticketless fines in the mail within the same week. She had no opportunity to take photos or gather evidence. I don't think she nor anyone else that has received ticketless parking fines should have to pay now that the powers to be have realised that ticketless fines are unfair.
The letter gives you their website information. I went on and it showed 4 or 5 photos taken by the inspector clearly showing several views of the vehicle (including the interior) as well as parking instruction signs. Everything was very clear, except for one minor detail. The only similarity between that car and mine was that we both had 4 tyres.

Last edited: