Hate parking headaches? State government axes controversial parking measure

Navigating the ins and outs of parking regulations is often a source of frustration for many drivers.

Still, there's good news on the horizon for those who have been at odds with one of the country's parking enforcement tactics.

New South Wales has decided to scrap the contentious ticketless parking system, reinstating the traditional paper tickets that offer immediate notification of fines.

In a controversial move made in May 2020, the NSW government trialled the ticketless system in parking.

This system empowered parking officers to issue infringements without slapping a ticket on the driver's windscreen, making it an unwelcome surprise in the mail weeks later.

john-matychuk-yvfp5YHWGsc-unsplash.jpg
The NSW government scrapped the ticketless system. Credit: Unsplash

This ticketless system, although proven lucrative for the government, has been a source of widespread frustration among motorists.

Not finding a ticket on the windscreen instantly stripped away any chance of the driver documenting the scene or gathering evidence in case they wanted to dispute the fine.

In response to the public sentiment, NSW Finance Minister Courtney Houssos made a decisive shift.

In a letter to the councils across the state, the Minister ordered an immediate stop to the ticketless system and called for the reintroduction of traditional paper tickets when issuing parking fines.

The Minister also barred any future councils from employing this system.

'Providing immediate notification to drivers is the right thing to do and is an important first step to restoring community trust in the administration of the fines system,' Houssos wrote.

'This could be as simple as a note, which could take the form of a standardised pre-printed card, noting that a fine has been issued. Doing so will allow drivers to take their own photos and note down relevant details.'

Houssos said that the note left on drivers' windscreens doesn't necessarily have to contain the actual infringement details.

However, she emphasised that it should, at the very least, inform people ‘at a minimum’ that a fine is on the way.

Revenue NSW's findings indicate that ticketless fines have generated significant profits for the government.

In 2023, councils across the state amassed $236 million through this system, representing a substantial increase from the pre-ticketless era.

Nearly $140 million was garnered from the issuance of 749,000 ticketless fines.

Comparatively, before the trial phase of ticketless fines, councils only collected $198 million in revenue from parking fines in 2018.

Peter Khoury from the National Roads and Motorists' Association (NRMA), a vocal critic of the ticketless system, stated, ‘If motorists only learn they have been fined weeks later, it takes away the transparency of the scheme and stops motorists from getting their own evidence.’

'It is also not a deterrent. If you park at the beach and you see parking fines on people's windscreens, it reminds people that parking officers are about and to do the right thing.'

Changes in road regulations may also lead to confusion and miscommunication.

In a previous story, state police discovered that motorists were unaware of the recent reduction in speed limit, leading to the withdrawal of fines issued to drivers. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• Ticketless parking infringements in New South Wales (NSW) have been scrapped due to public disapproval.
  • NSW Finance Minister Courtney Houssos ordered councils to revert to using paper tickets for parking fines to restore community trust.
  • The reintroduction of paper tickets will allow drivers to gather evidence if they wish to challenge a fine.
  • Revenue from ticketless fines was significantly higher than from traditional fines, with NSW councils collecting $236 million in 2023 through the scheme.
What do you think of removing the ticketless system? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I am from WA. Recently on visiting my son I went with my daughter in-law into Grafton to shop.
I noticed that in many areas you had to reverse into parking bays, holding up traffic in the process and, I should imagine causing damage to other parked cars, infact I saw this happen on two occasions in less than an hour. Many people are just not too good at reversing into small spaces.
I realise you still delay traffic backing out but as you have much more space to reverse into I can't see the sense in this idea.
I am not aware of this anywhere in WA, although I could be wrong.
Would be interested to know which way causes the most damage.
Our Main street in SCONE NSW has just been done up and has reverse ANGLE parking , so it will be a first for many people.. luckily We now have a BYPASS so the cars on the highway don't have to go thru the main street as before, so holding up the traffic won't be so bad. I would say that angle parking may result in more damage... but parking in a Woolworths or Coles Car Park etc, You can get damaged by people opening their door onto Your Car.... and this does happen a lot. 68autobug Bugbuyer

its time we (the people)reminded the councils that they are NOT the lords of the shire, and they are NOT in business...they are in fact employed by the citizens to manage the affairs of the shire, which does include penalties to offenders and where possible try and rectify that which causes these acts opposed to 'cashing in on the infringements as a windfall. They are not lords of our district, they are EMPLOYEES IN THE SERVICE OF THE COMUNITY

its time we (the people)reminded the councils that they are NOT the lords of the shire, and they are NOT in business...they are in fact employed by the citizens to manage the affairs of the shire, which does include penalties to offenders and where possible try and rectify that which causes these acts opposed to 'cashing in on the infringements as a windfall. They are not lords of our district, they are EMPLOYEES IN THE SERVICE OF THE COMUNITY
Well said. I was under the impression that our constitution stated two tiers of government, federal and state.
How come we have ended up with three.
At least they have now been put in their place with regard to granny flats in your backyard here in WA.
Council in our country town rejected our plans without any reasonable explanation.
We will now have great pleasure in going ahead without council planning. Your block only needs to be 450 sqm and ours is 1120sqm.and the requirements are only the setbacks from the boundaries and being connected to the house utilities.
Bad luck for the Council and their stupid regulations.

I am from WA. Recently on visiting my son I went with my daughter in-law into Grafton to shop.
I noticed that in many areas you had to reverse into parking bays, holding up traffic in the process and, I should imagine causing damage to other parked cars, infact I saw this happen on two occasions in less than an hour. Many people are just not too good at reversing into small spaces.
I realise you still delay traffic backing out but as you have much more space to reverse into I can't see the sense in this idea.
I am not aware of this anywhere in WA, although I could be wrong.
Would be interested to know which way causes the most damage.
Honestly I've lived in a few towns and have experienced both. It always bugged me that you stopped traffic to back in, and worse the idiots behind that just kept on your tail so you couldn't get in the spot. Now however with all the very large vehicles around it's dangerous to back out. So prefer to back in.
And if you can't back into a car space then maybe go back to L plates.

Fine should be placed in a water proof envelope. Not hard and at least you know what you have coming. Rangers will only miss one a day with the increased time taken.

If you have a sensibly sized car with a decent turning circle, such as my battered old 1998 Ford, with decent side-mirrors and good rear visibility, reverse parking is no problem and is very logical. However, these damned great ego-flattering SUVs and the equivalent modern utes with towbars and bullbars are literally a pain in the arse and should be abolished. Even better than my Ford would be a REAL Morris/Austin Mini, which are 1/3rd shorter than the bigger SUVs and the modern ute.

How odd in the UK that to get one's driver's licence one had to reverse park successfully and also do a clean three-point turn in a narrow road without hitting the kerb.