Has Woolworths been secretly tricking you through its sale displays? Shopper slams retailer for 'absolutely disgraceful trick’

In the face of rising living costs, grocery shopping has become a strategic game for many households.

More and more people are looking for ways to save money on their grocery store runs and snag the best deals possible.

However, we need to be careful when it comes to deals. Stores may use sneaky tactics to promote their products, which can ultimately cost you more money in the long run if you're not careful.

Checking the labels, comparing prices and reading the fine print are just some of the ways that smart shoppers like us can avoid getting duped when grocery shopping.

Staying informed and doing due diligence is key to ensuring you’re getting the best value for money.

This message has been reinforced by a recent incident where a Queensland Woolworths shopper shared a picture on social media, accusing the supermarket giant of using ‘sneaky’ tactic in a meat display.

df75dd5ea950b05360cf3c77ad545ed9babd61fe-4x3-x0y0w1200h900.jpg

Woolworths was accused of duping customers into purchasing more expensive meat products through its ‘Mix and Match’ display. Credit: Twitter.

The photo showed a range of meat trays in a small refrigerated area of the store, with a large sign above that said: 'Mix & Match - any two for $15.'

Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, it was revealed that this 'mix and match' deal only applied to some of the items on display, and the shopper was quick to point this out. So not quite ‘any two’ after all, eh?

'Gotta love Woolworths and their sneaky signage,' the user wrote in a post on Twitter.

'Going past thinking “mix and match” anything in here - when in fact it’s only a small handful of items all mixed in. Absolutely disgraceful.'

The customer's post included a photo that displayed seven smaller price tags for a 'Mix & Match - any two for $15' deal among the shelves.

Additionally, there was another price tag promoting a $10 sale on a different item. However, some meat packs had no special tags at all.

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed they were looking into the matter.

'Each of the products that are part of the mix and match are clearly marked, however, we do note the customer’s concern and we’ll be following this up,' they said.

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer has claimed the supermarket used 'sneaky' signage over a meat display.
  • The sign read 'Mix & Match - any two for $15', however, only some of the products were included in the offer.
  • The customer posted an image that showed seven smaller tags throughout the shelves on specific items.
  • The supermarket says it will follow up on the case and will look into the customer’s experience.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time Woolworths has been accused of questionable practices. Earlier this year, another shopper accused the retailer of ‘hiding’ more expensive items between shelves of half-price canned tuna and salmon.

While deals are always welcome, it's always important to be aware of retailers’ tricks, whether they are intentional or not.

This case serves as a reminder for us to remain vigilant when grocery shopping and carefully read the terms and conditions of any promotional offers that we may come across.

Having the right information can help you make the most informed decisions, so remember to always be on the lookout for these potential traps!

Have you experienced similar cases while shopping? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I remember this sales ploy at my Woolies very recently. Upon handling a few packages, I too noticed something was off. I remember thinking that the different pricing of the packages made the mix and match pricing confusing, so I moved on. I had no time or patience for whatever tactic Woolies was using to entice sales. Their loss. I much prefer Aldi anyhow.

We as consumers must be more vigilant and ask more questions.
There are people around in the shop, that work for woolworths ask them and if you are not happy with their marketing, let them know.
Do not remain silent!
Stinker.

In the face of rising living costs, grocery shopping has become a strategic game for many households.

More and more people are looking for ways to save money on their grocery store runs and snag the best deals possible.

However, we need to be careful when it comes to deals. Stores may use sneaky tactics to promote their products, which can ultimately cost you more money in the long run if you're not careful.

Checking the labels, comparing prices and reading the fine print are just some of the ways that smart shoppers like us can avoid getting duped when grocery shopping.

Staying informed and doing due diligence is key to ensuring you’re getting the best value for money.

This message has been reinforced by a recent incident where a Queensland Woolworths shopper shared a picture on social media, accusing the supermarket giant of using ‘sneaky’ tactic in a meat display.

Woolworths was accused of duping customers into purchasing more expensive meat products through its ‘Mix and Match’ display. Credit: Twitter.

The photo showed a range of meat trays in a small refrigerated area of the store, with a large sign above that said: 'Mix & Match - any two for $15.'

Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, it was revealed that this 'mix and match' deal only applied to some of the items on display, and the shopper was quick to point this out. So not quite ‘any two’ after all, eh?

'Gotta love Woolworths and their sneaky signage,' the user wrote in a post on Twitter.

'Going past thinking “mix and match” anything in here - when in fact it’s only a small handful of items all mixed in. Absolutely disgraceful.'

The customer's post included a photo that displayed seven smaller price tags for a 'Mix & Match - any two for $15' deal among the shelves.

Additionally, there was another price tag promoting a $10 sale on a different item. However, some meat packs had no special tags at all.

'Each of the products that are part of the mix and match are clearly marked, however, we do note the customer’s concern and we’ll be following this up,' they said.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has claimed the supermarket used 'sneaky' signage over a meat display.
  • The sign read 'Mix & Match - any two for $15', however, only some of the products were included in the offer.
  • The customer posted an image that showed seven smaller tags throughout the shelves on specific items.
  • The supermarket says it will follow up on the case and will look into the customer’s experience.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time Woolworths has been accused of questionable practices. Earlier this year, another shopper accused the retailer of ‘hiding’ more expensive items between shelves of half-price canned tuna and salmon.

While deals are always welcome, it's always important to be aware of retailers’ tricks, whether they are intentional or not.

This case serves as a reminder for us to remain vigilant when grocery shopping and carefully read the terms and conditions of any promotional offers that we may come across.

Having the right information can help you make the most informed decisions, so remember to always be on the lookout for these potential traps!

Have you experienced similar cases while shopping? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Yes we found that just three days ago. Woolworths here in Tasmania. The price only actually meant on two different products. Sneaky as!!

So so sneaky I have seen this before , infact awhile ago there was a post on here stating the good buy at coles I think it was 3 packets of meat for $45 but when you further examined it further each pack by itself was $15 or under

I went to a large fruit shop the other day and there was a sign over the herbs stating 3 for $6 so I grabbed 2 parsley and I think lemon grass . Anyway I hot to the checkout and noticed I paid full price $2.99 for each of them and was advised I had to buy 3 of the same herb to get this special although the sign only said 3 for $6

Key Takeaways

A Woolworths customer has claimed the supermarket used 'sneaky' signage over a meat display.
The sign read 'Mix & Match - any two for $15', however, only some of the products were included in the offer.
The customer posted an image that showed seven smaller tags throughout the shelves on specific items.
The supermarket says it will follow up on the case and will look into the customer’s experience.

Reactions: Bindii
I believe the Supermarkets play games with their prices to get you into their stores. They juggle items so although it seems like they have dropped prices on Specials they have loaded the shortfall to them onto other items. If you buy iitems regularly you get familiar with the prices. If Supermarkets are taking less how come their profits are down, certainly not the case

Absolutely in the wrong; MISLEADING CUSTOMERS BY THIS METHOD OF PUTTING SOME SPECIALS MIXED IN WITH NON-SPECIALS, AGAIN WOOLWORTHS!

If you are duped in this way, with sneaky mixed in specials and non-specials, then at the check-out tell the operator you don’t want those items and they will have to go through the process of deducting it off your bill. Also, ask to see management and complain putting your point across very forcefully. I almost always watch as my items are scanned to see what price is being charged. I know this can be difficult at times, but try and watch.

Last edited:
Am I the only one to not see a problem with this? It looks like the shelves were clearly marked as what was included in the two for $15 and the bottom shelf items were clearly labeled with stonking great yellow tickets showing them to be different specials. The top shelf had no special tickets so everything there was at its regular price. It's not rocket science. What if these items were in a long cabinet instead of a short end? Would you expect everything in the cabinet to be the same price? No of course not. :rolleyes:

Am I the only one to not see a problem with this? It looks like the shelves were clearly marked as what was included in the two for $15 and the bottom shelf items were clearly labeled with stonking great yellow tickets showing them to be different specials. The top shelf had no special tickets so everything there was at its regular price. It's not rocket science. What if these items were in a long cabinet instead of a short end? Would you expect everything in the cabinet to be the same price? No of course not. :rolleyes:
Fabulous to have a grumble, but surely we are being more responsible to our own pocket by choosing what we want at the prices we want. Rocket science it is not, folk.

Key Takeaways

I had to look twice myself and I think I am pretty savvy. Many people just see the sign above grab and off without taking the time to truly understand and maybe Woolworths is counting on people like this and when they get to the checkout most probably would not notice and if they did maybe would just accept it and pay.

One of the key reasons we stopped shopping at Woolworths - a place of last resort if we just can't get something elsewhere. If only they spent the time and effort offering good honest service rather than working out how best to screw over their customers, I'm sure they would be a lot better off. Little people 'round big tables syndrome is what I call it!
Shame of it is, these are normal everyday people "just doing their jobs" (as directed, of course), and we were the ones who trained, taught and mentored them!

Key Takeaways

In the past I have noticed this too so what I do is to get 6 × "$15" packs and when questioned at the check out and find out they are not the specials, I leave them at the check out and make a little scene for any following Customers. 😊

Seems to me we need to shop with our camera and take pictures as we put things into the trolley. Annoying, but you have your evidence on hand.

Reactions: Gsr and Ricci
Naughty Woolies, fancy trying to give a better deal to the customers and getting it a bit wrong. Customers only had to query it at checkout and items would have been corrected. Bad, Bad Woolies, there is also an item there for $6.90 which is even less than the half price of $7.50? I wonder if the customers would correct this to $15.00 if they bought two? Sit Wooles, there is no need to panic, it's just the handlers who are unable to control their shopping. Now, get back to your kennels and bring us some more great deals!

I gave up shopping at Woolies because almost every time I shopped I was wrongly charged for an item.
Now I only buy my dog food there.

Key Takeaways