Has Woolworths been secretly tricking you through its sale displays? Shopper slams retailer for 'absolutely disgraceful trick’

In the face of rising living costs, grocery shopping has become a strategic game for many households.

More and more people are looking for ways to save money on their grocery store runs and snag the best deals possible.

However, we need to be careful when it comes to deals. Stores may use sneaky tactics to promote their products, which can ultimately cost you more money in the long run if you're not careful.

Checking the labels, comparing prices and reading the fine print are just some of the ways that smart shoppers like us can avoid getting duped when grocery shopping.

Staying informed and doing due diligence is key to ensuring you’re getting the best value for money.

This message has been reinforced by a recent incident where a Queensland Woolworths shopper shared a picture on social media, accusing the supermarket giant of using ‘sneaky’ tactic in a meat display.

df75dd5ea950b05360cf3c77ad545ed9babd61fe-4x3-x0y0w1200h900.jpg

Woolworths was accused of duping customers into purchasing more expensive meat products through its ‘Mix and Match’ display. Credit: Twitter.

The photo showed a range of meat trays in a small refrigerated area of the store, with a large sign above that said: 'Mix & Match - any two for $15.'

Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, it was revealed that this 'mix and match' deal only applied to some of the items on display, and the shopper was quick to point this out. So not quite ‘any two’ after all, eh?

'Gotta love Woolworths and their sneaky signage,' the user wrote in a post on Twitter.

'Going past thinking “mix and match” anything in here - when in fact it’s only a small handful of items all mixed in. Absolutely disgraceful.'

The customer's post included a photo that displayed seven smaller price tags for a 'Mix & Match - any two for $15' deal among the shelves.

Additionally, there was another price tag promoting a $10 sale on a different item. However, some meat packs had no special tags at all.

A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed they were looking into the matter.

'Each of the products that are part of the mix and match are clearly marked, however, we do note the customer’s concern and we’ll be following this up,' they said.

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer has claimed the supermarket used 'sneaky' signage over a meat display.
  • The sign read 'Mix & Match - any two for $15', however, only some of the products were included in the offer.
  • The customer posted an image that showed seven smaller tags throughout the shelves on specific items.
  • The supermarket says it will follow up on the case and will look into the customer’s experience.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time Woolworths has been accused of questionable practices. Earlier this year, another shopper accused the retailer of ‘hiding’ more expensive items between shelves of half-price canned tuna and salmon.

While deals are always welcome, it's always important to be aware of retailers’ tricks, whether they are intentional or not.

This case serves as a reminder for us to remain vigilant when grocery shopping and carefully read the terms and conditions of any promotional offers that we may come across.

Having the right information can help you make the most informed decisions, so remember to always be on the lookout for these potential traps!

Have you experienced similar cases while shopping? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Instead of duping and confusing customers who mostly come there to do their shopping and get out ASAP, is it so hard (and honest) to have one counter for these 2 for $** and another counter for regular priced items? Seems like this is a deceitful way to advertise your products, Woolworths.

Reactions: June E and Ricci
In the face of rising living costs, grocery shopping has become a strategic game for many households.

More and more people are looking for ways to save money on their grocery store runs and snag the best deals possible.

However, we need to be careful when it comes to deals. Stores may use sneaky tactics to promote their products, which can ultimately cost you more money in the long run if you're not careful.

Checking the labels, comparing prices and reading the fine print are just some of the ways that smart shoppers like us can avoid getting duped when grocery shopping.

Staying informed and doing due diligence is key to ensuring you’re getting the best value for money.

This message has been reinforced by a recent incident where a Queensland Woolworths shopper shared a picture on social media, accusing the supermarket giant of using ‘sneaky’ tactic in a meat display.

Woolworths was accused of duping customers into purchasing more expensive meat products through its ‘Mix and Match’ display. Credit: Twitter.

The photo showed a range of meat trays in a small refrigerated area of the store, with a large sign above that said: 'Mix & Match - any two for $15.'

Unfortunately, upon closer inspection, it was revealed that this 'mix and match' deal only applied to some of the items on display, and the shopper was quick to point this out. So not quite ‘any two’ after all, eh?

'Gotta love Woolworths and their sneaky signage,' the user wrote in a post on Twitter.

'Going past thinking “mix and match” anything in here - when in fact it’s only a small handful of items all mixed in. Absolutely disgraceful.'

The customer's post included a photo that displayed seven smaller price tags for a 'Mix & Match - any two for $15' deal among the shelves.

Additionally, there was another price tag promoting a $10 sale on a different item. However, some meat packs had no special tags at all.

'Each of the products that are part of the mix and match are clearly marked, however, we do note the customer’s concern and we’ll be following this up,' they said.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has claimed the supermarket used 'sneaky' signage over a meat display.
  • The sign read 'Mix & Match - any two for $15', however, only some of the products were included in the offer.
  • The customer posted an image that showed seven smaller tags throughout the shelves on specific items.
  • The supermarket says it will follow up on the case and will look into the customer’s experience.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time Woolworths has been accused of questionable practices. Earlier this year, another shopper accused the retailer of ‘hiding’ more expensive items between shelves of half-price canned tuna and salmon.

While deals are always welcome, it's always important to be aware of retailers’ tricks, whether they are intentional or not.

This case serves as a reminder for us to remain vigilant when grocery shopping and carefully read the terms and conditions of any promotional offers that we may come across.

Having the right information can help you make the most informed decisions, so remember to always be on the lookout for these potential traps!

Have you experienced similar cases while shopping? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Instead of duping and confusing customers who mostly come there to do their shopping and get out ASAP, is it so hard (and honest) to have one counter for these 2 for $** and another counter for regular priced items? Seems like this is a deceitful way to advertise your products, Woolworths.
Yes, Woolworths has a set refrigerated shelving with 'Heat and Serve' Microwave meals, with a sign like this. However it's not stated clearly unless you look closely that some items are still the original price.

Key Takeaways

We had a win at a Coles shop last week. They had lamb legs on sale from $13.95/kg to $11.95/kg. My husband looked through the display and noticed one had missed being marked down. So he took it through the checkout, paid $40 for it and then took it to the desk to tell them. They handed back $40 without a murmur! It is their policy after all. And the free roast lamb was absolutely delicious! :)

• Wow
Seems to me people have nothing better to do these days than look for things to complain about.
What's wrong with reading what is written on each label instead of just assuming. Simple really.
Am I the only one to not see a problem with this? It looks like the shelves were clearly marked as what was included in the two for $15 and the bottom shelf items were clearly labeled with stonking great yellow tickets showing them to be different specials. The top shelf had no special tickets so everything there was at its regular price. It's not rocket science. What if these items were in a long cabinet instead of a short end? Would you expect everything in the cabinet to be the same price? No of course not. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ricci

Key Takeaways

They should be fined everytime they do this to confuse customers. ACCC should look into this now. Do what they are paid to do.

I have noticed this as well here in WA. Why should we be constantly on guard for these sort of misrepresenations. I think they can be find for this.

Obviously read clearly, not Woolies fault if you don't.
I gather you have a lot of time on your hands to read every price tag every time you shop, most people have to do their shopping within a certain time and don’t have that luxury.

Besides every shop should display their products with all the required information clearly visible and readable by its customers.

So, Woolies you are definitely wrong here. Don’t mix specials and non special items under the same LARGE SPECIAL offer displayed.

Reactions: June E
I gather you have a lot of time on your hands to read every price tag every time you shop, most people have to do their shopping within a certain time and don’t have that luxury.

Besides every shop should display their products with all the required information clearly visible and readable by its customers.

So, Woolies you are definitely wrong here. Don’t mix specials and non special items under the same LARGE SPECIAL offer displayed.
Actually, no I don't have a lot of time on my hands, I am carer for my husband who has dementia, my intellectually disabled daughter who has had three lots of oral cancer and my eldest son who recently had a massive heart attack.
Don't assume you know what is going on in other people's lives.
I do bother to read the signs of anything I am intending to purchase, not everything in the store
It doesn't take that long, not the problem people make it out to be.
Some people have nothing to do with their time than whinge and complain about every little thing.

Seems to me people have nothing better to do these days than look for things to complain about.
What's wrong with reading what is written on each label instead of just assuming. Simple really.
No you're not the only one,I agree.
These people who say they don't have time to read signs, it's not as if you have to read every sign in the store.
But they seem to have enough time to post complaints whinging and complaining about every little thing.

Actually, no I don't have a lot of time on my hands, I am carer for my husband who has dementia, my intellectually disabled daughter who has had three lots of oral cancer and my eldest son who recently had a massive heart attack.
I do bother to read the signs of anything I am intending to purchase, not everything in the store
Some people have nothing to do with their time than whinge and complain about every little thing.
My apologies, mylittletibbies, for my assumption. You do have a lot of other things going on in your life and a lot to attend to. My apologies once again - your post came across that way to me.

I used to see items on 'Sale" on a shelf, and often there were similar, but better quality products mixed in with them. Of course a canny shopper would pick the better quality product for the same price as the cheap one. But getting to the checkout I found that the quality product was not part of the on Sale deal at all, but at its 'normal shelf price. I have no problem speaking up but some shoppers would be embarrassed to , or may not even notice the higher charge on their cash register docket, IF they check it at all, and once they are home they are not going to the bother of returning the item to the shop to question it, and besides that would cost in travelling expenses anyway. These clever tactic seems to have stopped now.

To a smaller, non-chain/independent corner store?
Not a real solution. their prices are often higher than the larger stores, and they are likely to have close to use by dated products on the shelves. However at the IGA near me, I do commend the store assistants for always being helpful and courteous, AND visible in the store.

HDo you by any chance drink Nescafe blend 43 coffee? If you buy it in the 500gram '"economy" can from woolies , you will be paying "reasonable" $26.00. DON'T PAY THIS MUCH !!! Go to your local Office works, or buy it online in the 700 gram tin for only (regular price of ) $25.85 or close to it.
Work out how much cheaper that is per 100 grams.
Ciao for now,,,, Col

Not similar, but equally as deceptive. Bottled water has been the subject of many Woolworth's deception. I have seen a price hike of around $4-$5 one week and 2 weeks later the price is dropped back to 0.50c more than it was 2 weeks earlier and then claim it as a price drop. They are sneaky beyond belief. Dairy products such as butter and butter products are the subjected to the same deceitful tactics.

I used to see items on 'Sale" on a shelf, and often there were similar, but better quality products mixed in with them. Of course a canny shopper would pick the better quality product for the same price as the cheap one. But getting to the checkout I found that the quality product was not part of the on Sale deal at all, but at its 'normal shelf price. I have no problem speaking up but some shoppers would be embarrassed to , or may not even notice the higher charge on their cash register docket, IF they check it at all, and once they are home they are not going to the bother of returning the item to the shop to question it, and besides that would cost in travelling expenses anyway. These clever tactic seems to have stopped now.
Yes agree. They were doing it it one time with the small tins of tuna. They were mixing in another flavour which was NOT on special.