Harvey Norman among Aussies’ ‘most distrusted’ brands, poll shows

Harvey Norman is one of Australia’s largest retail chains, with stores all across the country.

The company offers a wide range of products, from electronics and appliances to furniture and homewares.

Recently, however, Harvey Norman has found itself among the ranks of Australia's most distrusted brands.

This is according to survey firm Roy Morgan's latest Risk Monitor survey where they map out industry names that enjoy the public’s trust — and those that don’t.

Harvey Norman, according to a ChannelNews report, was in the bottom rung of the poll along with online marketplace Amazon, search engine giant Google, social networking site Twitter, and hotel chain Crown Resorts.

Why you may ask?

‘Harvey Norman has been widely criticised this year for vowing to keep the $22 million in JobKeeper wage subsidies it received as part of the Government’s economic support despite recording a record profit before tax of $1.18 billion for the (fiscal) year ended June 30, 2021 – an increase of $521 million from a year ago.’ explains Roy Morgan CEO Michele Levine.

Harvey-Norman-Store.png
The retailer figured in headlines in the past months for all the wrong reasons. Credit: ChannelNews

The Australian Government’s payment scheme saw businesses getting paid as much as $1500 (before taxes) per fortnight for every employee to cover wages.

The backlash Harvey Norman received — which included boycotts in several states — eventually led to a $6 million repayment of government subsidies in August.

For Levine though, the decision might have come too late.

‘Will this concession prove too little too late for Harvey Norman to rebuild the trust they have lost during this period?’ she asked.

ChannelNews also noted that the polls were conducted before June, which excluded the retailer’s scandal on false advertising from coverage.

While Harvey Norman languishes at the bottom of the polls, other brands have cause for celebration.

Grocery store chains were among Aussies’ most trusted brands in the survey, with Woolworths, Coles, Bunnings Warehouse, ALDI, Kmart, Myer, and BIG W landing in the top ten.

‘These businesses have been essential outlets for millions of Australians over the last 18 months and the latest lockdowns in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra will again emphasise their importance to many.’ Levine said.

gBHOL4tQIlpe1NgYs7l2fBQ2qzhax4aAMSKttL04R_5u70DqPY4ZYZ__iKXhGIy_qrsgrGkhCYfn_d7uhvD-OfBwJCPCPzP4-WFh0gJRuSAu9Xh3Fus2wlkaytCB12dR6vE6VXWWQ9ryvLMOVdS_c0FRItJjxX_rn4tN4Umy8gC14kMn-h3zOFR6vA
Ir9XFy3DMhF2KZLWXH83eAyCf7nXmeCf799PjBkItyeKYjI5jVjB6RaM8Nf548KaWIzIUXwlpcXIjNddN3rDfl83U29zFkwyRXTSUMte1BlzYGFviNM8-gKZgCBulAve6TBmUytdoIaQztF4I0hJ9gxPacinNbvlJTmkms48f_UtvIsmifpua1glCw
AS5ZEpriL886Zwd7eN7cF3nPvLOJAfspCZ2awtu3lIAhrMjjuMUsMmsMT2UFg6vrP7mUq1VLSyvDNAnZk5oHvjuOJl9Kp5O_QHBPFneNNLlQw2zSsZRrQrA1s-icGpV25Hu5Fipw3X7_KBXyDqDQTH87wsATLP1AUqiB6w7o5hUiXVlSLWjZZiBp6Q

Grocery store chains dominated Roy Morgan’s list of Aussies’ ‘Most Trusted Brands’. Credit: Woolworths/Coles/Aldi

‘The other big winners during the (polling period) were department stores including Kmart, Myer, BIG W and Target. All four lifted their rankings with Myer and BIG W entering the top 10 most trusted brands as many retailers enjoyed record sales, with Australians prevented from travelling and enjoying live entertainment such as sport, music, theatre and the like redirecting their spending into the retail industry.’

Other trusted brands in the top ten included flag carrier Qantas, vehicle manufacturer Toyota, and insurance provider NRMA.

Key Takeaways

• Harvey Norman has been named as one of Australia's most distrusted brands in a recent Roy Morgan survey.
  • A key factor behind the retailer's low trust rating is criticism over its handling of JobKeeper money during the COVID-19 pandemic, according Roy Morgan CEO Michele Levine.
  • Other least trusted companies in the list include Amazon, Google, Twitter, and Crown Resorts.
  • Grocery store chains like Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI dominated the list of 'most trusted' brands.
Last June, ALDI also earned the distinction of being Australia’s ‘Supermarket of the Year’ for the second year in a row in another Roy Morgan poll.

Are you surprised by Harvey Norman’s standing? Do you agree that they are among Australia’s most untrustworthy industry names? Do you shop there?

Do share your reactions and opinions to this story below!

Source: 7News Australia

Attachments

• 2xIY3Y-B_400x400.jpg
    2xIY3Y-B_400x400.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 551
  • coles-og-image-1200x627.jpg
    coles-og-image-1200x627.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 6
  • Rw99Ljfj_400x400.jpg
    Rw99Ljfj_400x400.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 10
Sponsored
I actively avoid shopping at Harvey Norman if I can possibly get what I'm looking for elsewhere. I have never received good service there and I don't find the prices particularly cheap.:(
How on earth did Qantas manage to make the top 10? I haven't heard any good reports of them for ages.:(

Recently I was faced with the situation of setting up a house with everything. I found Harvey Norman to be untrustworthy, as it seems they want a sale, no matter what. I found that certain aspects of a product were not disclosed, and when I complained after buying an expensive top line TV that did not measure up, the response was " I did tell you." That was not true as I am meticulous with what I do. Once bitten. I have made other purchases since then, and Harvey Norman is never in my selection criteria.

I find that Harvey Norman is predatory with their sales tactics. The sales people at their stores want to "make the sale" at all costs rather than be honest and informative about the products they sell. I try to avoid their stores at all costs but then The Good Guys are the same. No morals and no care about the customers seems to be their standard approach.

Harvey Norman is one of Australia’s largest retail chains, with stores all across the country.

The company offers a wide range of products, from electronics and appliances to furniture and homewares.

Recently, however, Harvey Norman has found itself among the ranks of Australia's most distrusted brands.

This is according to survey firm Roy Morgan's latest Risk Monitor survey where they map out which industry names enjoy the public’s trust — and those that don’t.

Harvey Norman, according to a ChannelNews report, was in the bottom rung of the poll along with online marketplace Amazon, search engine giant Google, social networking site Twitter, and hotel chain Crown Resorts.

Why you may ask?

‘Harvey Norman has been widely criticised this year for vowing to keep the $22 million in JobKeeper wage subsidies it received as part of the Government’s economic support despite recording a record profit before tax of $1.18 billion for the (fiscal) year ended June 30, 2021 – an increase of $521 million from a year ago.’ explains Roy Morgan CEO Michele Levine.

View attachment 7893
The retailer figured in headlines in the past months for all the wrong reasons. Credit: ChannelNews

The Australian Government’s payment scheme saw businesses getting paid as much as $1500 (before taxes) per fortnight for every employee to cover wages.

The backlash Harvey Norman received — which included boycotts in several states — eventually led to a $6 million repayment of government subsidies in August.

‘Will this concession prove too little too late for Harvey Norman to rebuild the trust they have lost during this period?’ she asked.

ChannelNews also noted that the polls were conducted before June, which excluded the retailer’s scandal on false advertising from coverage.

While Harvey Norman languishes at the bottom of the polls, other brands have cause for celebration.

Grocery store chains were among Aussies’ most trusted brands in the survey, with Woolworths, Coles, Bunnings Warehouse, ALDI, Kmart, Myer, and BIG W landing in the top ten.

‘These businesses have been essential outlets for millions of Australians over the last 18 months and the latest lockdowns in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra will again emphasise their importance to many.’ Levine said.

gBHOL4tQIlpe1NgYs7l2fBQ2qzhax4aAMSKttL04R_5u70DqPY4ZYZ__iKXhGIy_qrsgrGkhCYfn_d7uhvD-OfBwJCPCPzP4-WFh0gJRuSAu9Xh3Fus2wlkaytCB12dR6vE6VXWWQ9ryvLMOVdS_c0FRItJjxX_rn4tN4Umy8gC14kMn-h3zOFR6vA
Ir9XFy3DMhF2KZLWXH83eAyCf7nXmeCf799PjBkItyeKYjI5jVjB6RaM8Nf548KaWIzIUXwlpcXIjNddN3rDfl83U29zFkwyRXTSUMte1BlzYGFviNM8-gKZgCBulAve6TBmUytdoIaQztF4I0hJ9gxPacinNbvlJTmkms48f_UtvIsmifpua1glCw
AS5ZEpriL886Zwd7eN7cF3nPvLOJAfspCZ2awtu3lIAhrMjjuMUsMmsMT2UFg6vrP7mUq1VLSyvDNAnZk5oHvjuOJl9Kp5O_QHBPFneNNLlQw2zSsZRrQrA1s-icGpV25Hu5Fipw3X7_KBXyDqDQTH87wsATLP1AUqiB6w7o5hUiXVlSLWjZZiBp6Q

Grocery store chains dominated Roy Morgan’s list of Aussies’ ‘Most Trusted Brands’. Credit: Woolworths/Coles/Aldi

‘The other big winners during the (polling period) were department stores including Kmart, Myer, BIG W and Target. All four lifted their rankings with Myer and BIG W entering the top 10 most trusted brands as many retailers enjoyed record sales, with Australians prevented from travelling and enjoying live entertainment such as sport, music, theatre and the like redirecting their spending into the retail industry.’

Other trusted brands in the top ten included flag carrier Qantas, vehicle manufacturer Toyota, and insurance provider NRMA.

Key Takeaways

• Harvey Norman has been named as one of Australia's most distrusted brands in a recent Roy Morgan survey.
  • A key factor behind the retailer's low trust rating is criticism over its handling of JobKeeper money during the COVID-19 pandemic, according Roy Morgan CEO Michele Levine.
  • Other least trusted companies in the list include Amazon, Google, Twitter, and Crown Resorts.
  • Grocery store chains like Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI dominated the list of 'most trusted' brands.
Last June, ALDI also earned the distinction of being Australia’s ‘Supermarket of the Year’ for the second year in a row in another Roy Morgan poll.

Are you surprised by Harvey Norman’s standing? Do you agree that they are among Australia’s most untrustworthy industry names? Do you shop there?

To be quite honest I have never really had a problem with Harvey Norman. I did find out that after one purchase it went on a discount price the next week but other than that I have no real issues. I've bought mobile phones, TVs, cook top, washing machine recently and computers. All staff at our local store (we have been in the area for over 4 years) have been great, good product knowledge. The staff also are aways happy to give advice even if you don't buy anything straight away. Mostly cheaper than anyone else around even paying for the delivery

i don,t understand why amazon is amongst most distrusted . it,s my #1 go to . phone service is fast and knowlegable . returns of faulty products at there expense . credits instantly applied .

Reactions: Ricci

This is according to survey firm Roy Morgan's latest Risk Monitor survey where they map out which industry names enjoy the public’s trust — and those that don’t.

Why you may ask?

View attachment 7893

Key Takeaways

I work in IT I know they are box sellers, don't care what they sell or to whom it just as long they sell the most expensive box to make their commissions and margins. They don't out and out lie they just bend the truth

Last edited:
we did have problems with Harvey Norman at one stage, however, we have nothing but praise for them now - in particular, we had a nasty experience with the Thomastown branch, but with changes made, they are terrific - helpful, knowledgeable, understanding and most importantly - friendly - so folks, not all HV is bad - times and people do change.

Reactions: Ricci and Suzy88
Haven't shopped at Harvey Norman since that $22,000,000 ripoff and the government were pathetic for not making companies pay it back if you make a silly mistake on your tax they will chase you down for a couple of dollars

To be quite honest I have never really had a problem with Harvey Norman. I did find out that after one purchase it went on a discount price the next week but other than that I have no real issues. I've bought mobile phones, TVs, cook top, washing machine recently and computers. All staff at our local store (we have been in the area for over 4 years) have been great, good product knowledge. The staff also are aways happy to give advice even if you don't buy anything straight away. Mostly cheaper than anyone else around even paying for the delivery
Same here

Reactions: Ricci and Suzy88

Why you may ask?

View attachment 7893

Key Takeaways

Their marketing strategy was to buy up surplus electrical goods and market them as specials, in particular computers. Now they have made in China specials.

I used to work for a furniture manufacturer that made "Exclusive to Harvey Norman" furniture. They dictate what they will pay for items. Then mark up the retail price by at least 100%. Even with their sales and discounts, it pays to shop around.

Reactions: Ezzy
Many years ago, we bought exactly the same dining suite which HN were selling for half their price a few doors down at Focus On Furniture ..... always pays to shop around. While I've always found HN over priced - even with their so-called specials - I like to wander through occasionally 🤣

Reactions: Ezzy and RTS