Handy dad shares tape measuring secret: ‘Thank me later’

Home improvement can be daunting, especially when measuring spaces to avoid unwanted gaps or overly crunched-up corners—the trickiest part of home projects.

After all, when you’re up there in years, physical flexibility might not be what it used to be.

Fortunately, a dad and social media user discovered a practical and easy measuring trick, making the process much simpler and more efficient.

Jordan Watson, popularly known as ‘How to Dad’ online, shared a useful tape-measuring tip, bringing joy to viewers everywhere.

Jordan explained that the length of the tape measure's case is printed on its side and that it can be added to the exact dimensions of a tight space instead of bending the tape to account for corners.

photo (2).jpg
A dad shared a handy tape measure hack on social media. Image source: TikTok/@howtodadnz

In the video, Jordan had two tape measures, one displaying 74mm, and the other 82mm on the side.

'Why is this important? Because all our lives, let's say I'm measuring a window sill and I hit the end of the wood,’ he continued.

'Then you've got to put the bend in it, and you're closing one eye and it's a little bit of guesswork. That's why the case length is written on the side.’

He advised measuring space by placing the tape measure's case at one end, extending the tape to the other, and adding the case length for a more accurate result.

Video source: TikTok/@howtodadnz

Proud of his discovery, Jordan joked and said: ‘There'll be a lot of builders commenting, “No mate, I always knew that I bl***y knew that since I was a young [kid], did you not know that?”’

He then playfully responded to himself saying, ‘No, if the whole world knew, then it wouldn't be a surprise. Builders, thank me later.'

Jordan's measuring trick has quickly become popular, having garnered over 11 million views.

Builders who watched the video also shared their surprise and newfound knowledge.

One veteran commented, ‘32 years in the building trade!! Today years old I found out this.’

Another wrote: ‘12 years in the trade and I'm learning this now,’ while a third exclaimed in disbelief, ‘What? No way!’

Key Takeaways

• A man widely known as ‘How to Dad’ online, shared a useful trick when using a tape measure.
  • He pointed out that every tape measure has the case length printed on the side, which can be used to measure tight spaces accurately.
  • His trick involved adding the case's length to the measured item's dimension, rather than bending the tape in awkward spaces.
  • His tip has gained over 11 million views, with many admitting they were unaware of the trick.
Members, what do you think of this story? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Yes Pinky … I agree!!
But worst case scenario in my measurement is that case lenght is not showing at all!!
See pics

That is a very good tip.

However, I have an 8m Stanley tape measure in millimeter scale.

The case length printed on the side shows "3 1/8 in". Not very helpful at all!!
According to google it’s 79.4mm

That is a very good tip.

However, I have an 8m Stanley tape measure in millimeter scale.

The case length printed on the side shows "3 1/8 in". Not very helpful at all!!
Googled the conversion = 79.4mm, now you can use a marker to write that on the side. 😀

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Chips
Home improvement can be daunting, especially when measuring spaces to avoid unwanted gaps or overly crunched-up corners—the trickiest part of home projects.

After all, when you’re up there in years, physical flexibility might not be what it used to be.

Fortunately, a dad and social media user discovered a practical and easy measuring trick, making the process much simpler and more efficient.

Jordan Watson, popularly known as ‘How to Dad’ online, shared a useful tape-measuring tip, bringing joy to viewers everywhere.

Jordan explained that the length of the tape measure's case is printed on its side and that it can be added to the exact dimensions of a tight space instead of bending the tape to account for corners.

View attachment 34596
A dad shared a handy tape measure hack on social media. Image source: TikTok/@howtodadnz

In the video, Jordan had two tape measures, one displaying 74mm, and the other 82mm on the side.

'Why is this important? Because all our lives, let's say I'm measuring a window sill and I hit the end of the wood,’ he continued.

'Then you've got to put the bend in it, and you're closing one eye and it's a little bit of guesswork. That's why the case length is written on the side.’

He advised measuring space by placing the tape measure's case at one end, extending the tape to the other, and adding the case length for a more accurate result.

Proud of his discovery, Jordan joked and said: ‘There'll be a lot of builders commenting, “No mate, I always knew that I bl***y knew that since I was a young [kid], did you not know that?”’

He then playfully responded to himself saying, ‘No, if the whole world knew, then it wouldn't be a surprise. Builders, thank me later.'

Jordan's measuring trick has quickly become popular, having garnered over 11 million views.

Builders who watched the video also shared their surprise and newfound knowledge.

One veteran commented, ‘32 years in the building trade!! Today years old I found out this.’

Another wrote: ‘12 years in the trade and I'm learning this now,’ while a third exclaimed in disbelief, ‘What? No way!’

Key Takeaways

• A man widely known as ‘How to Dad’ online, shared a useful trick when using a tape measure.
  • He pointed out that every tape measure has the case length printed on the side, which can be used to measure tight spaces accurately.
  • His trick involved adding the case's length to the measured item's dimension, rather than bending the tape in awkward spaces.
  • His tip has gained over 11 million views, with many admitting they were unaware of the trick.
Members, what do you think of this story? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Just checked our tape measure . No width written on the case .

The tape I use states that if I am using a particular side, I have to add the width of the tape "holder" or whatever it's called.

View attachment 34596

Key Takeaways

I only have learnt this of lately. Which makes things alot easier when measuring. 😉

View attachment 34596

Key Takeaways

BRILLIANT

View attachment 34596

Key Takeaways

Been there, done that! When building first home nearly 70 years ago. Helped my dad was a very good brickie.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Builders not knowing this. How stupid are they. Every tape measure has this on it. I'm no handyman but I have known this since I was a kid. The measuremnet is clearly maked on the side of the tape. There is no cure for stupidity.

I've known this for more years than I can remember. I can also remember when this type of measuring tape came into existence... incidentally I have three tapes, all have width marked in inches and mm.

The 3 "Builders" who replied to Jordans post,
Should not be holding a BUILDER'S LICENCE,
Who were those people,
MOE, LARRY AND CURLY ???
32 years in the trade and said " I DID'NT KNOW THAT."
WTF??
I remember as a 10 year old child, watching a bunch of tradies and a couple of labourers build a standard 3 bedroom housing commission house on a vacant block of land from start to finish, it took them 6 weeks.
They had NO power tools, everything was done by hand, no mechanical diggers, no battery operated saws, screwdrivers or nail guns, all the timber was hardwood, none of this soft pineboard stuff. Today they have every tool imaginable to make their job easier and yet, how long does it take to get a job done???

I remember as a 10 year old child, watching a bunch of tradies and a couple of labourers build a standard 3 bedroom housing commission house on a vacant block of land from start to finish, it took them 6 weeks.
They had NO power tools, everything was done by hand, no mechanical diggers, no battery operated saws, screwdrivers or nail guns, all the timber was hardwood, none of this soft pineboard stuff. Today they have every tool imaginable to make their job easier and yet, how long does it take to get a job done???
How longs a piece of string🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Chicky