Great grandfather launches emotional lawsuit against nursing home after tragedy strikes

It’s a devastating incident that could’ve been prevented. John and Lena Megens had shared 67 years of marriage when tragedy struck. Lena fell from a chair and sustained fatal brain injuries which led to her demise.

Now, John Megens is suing his own Melbourne nursing home in the hopes of seeing justice done about his wife’s case.

The terminally ill great-grandfather and his 92-year-old wife were both residents at Weary Dunlop Retirement Village in Wheelers Hill, Melbourne. According to John, his wife hit her head after falling from a chair inside the facility in April last year.

‘She was in high care to prevent her having falls,’ said Nick Mann from Polaris Lawyers who is acting on behalf of the family.

elderly1.jpg
The couple had been living in a nursing home in Melbourne when tragedy struck. Credit: SAM LIN/Pexels

After suffering from brain injuries caused by the fall, Lena Megens sadly passed away four days later on April 15 at Monash Medical Centre.

‘I miss her very much,’ John shared and claimed she was the love of his life.

According to John, his wife’s death ‘should have never happened’. He and grandson Adam subsequently filed documents with Victoria’s County Court, alleging that Ryman Healthcare – the aged care company operating Weary Dunlop – failed to provide adequate supervision.

The pair said they’re suing the facility to make sure this incident doesn’t happen to others.

Based on the facts gathered surrounding the case, Mrs Megens fell from her chair on April 12, 2022. The supervisor that was watching over her had been tending to another resident but ‘rushed over’ as soon as she fell. Then, they checked her vitals.

However, it was believed that staff from the nursing home only called an ambulance several hours after the incident when Mrs Megens started vomiting and passed out. She never woke up after this.

elderly2.jpg
It was reported that an ambulance wasn’t called immediately after Mrs Megens fell from her chair. Credit: Kevin Bidwell/Pexels

The aged care facility insists that the elderly woman was under supervision and a carer was in the room with her but was unable to prevent her from falling. They also said she received appropriate medical care and attention in the immediate aftermath.

‘They’re short on staff, that’s all it is,’ Mr Megens claimed.

Mr Mann questions the aged care facility's ability to provide care. ‘How many staff were on? What were the falls risks for Lena? How did they assess her? How did they protect her?’ He said during an interview with reporters.

However, Ryman Healthcare refutes the family’s claims and said Mrs Megens was ‘adequately supervised’ and has strongly denied allegations that they’re understaffed. They claimed that there were 10 residents in the unit on the day of the accident, with three personal carers, a registered nurse, and a unit coordinator. They further stated that they ‘provide more care per resident than government mandated requirements’.

Cameron Holland, CEO of Ryman Healthcare, told reporters: ‘Weary Dunlop provides more than 230 minutes of care per resident per day, far exceeding the government-mandated requirement of 200 minutes.’

With neither side backing down, the Megens family and representatives from Ryman Healthcare will now see each other in court. But for John, due to his terminal illness, this is a race against time.

‘I’d like to see the outcome,’ he shared before adding that he’s considering an expedited hearing to have the matter heard quickly.

Social media users were divided over the matter. Many claimed that ‘accidents happen’ in nursing homes.

‘It is sad for the family that this lady hit her head and died but it’s an unfortunate fact that sometimes people fall. You cannot stop someone falling,’ one declared.

‘Sadly, accidents happen. Residents in aged care fall through no fault of anyone. Sometimes they are impatient, sometimes they lose their balance. It’s not always the fault of the workers,’ one more offered.

However, one refuted this statement and said that dementia units are usually high dependency units. Therefore, it needs to be strictly watched.

‘My father had a fall in the middle of winter and left outside for over an hour. He had a broken wrist not checked for 8 weeks. There are care protocols after a fall and nobody took responsibility for this poor lady,’ the user added.

Another said that while falls do happen, the patient should always get checked by a doctor in the immediate aftermath – especially if the patient has dementia. ‘They can’t always recall what happened or what they hit. The ambulance was called hours afterwards when she started passing out and vomiting,’ they explained before adding that Mrs Megens’ demise could’ve been prevented had there been appropriate medical assistance given right away.

One more said that their concern is not with the fall itself but with the facility’s reaction time. ‘In my time, I have seen too many facilities who are in it for the fiscal return and not for humanitarian reasons like we are led to believe,’ they claimed.

While others simply sent their regards to the family members affected by the tragedy. ‘So sorry this happened to your dear wife, may she rest in peace,’ someone wrote.
Key Takeaways
  • Lena Megens, 92, hit her head after falling from a chair at Weary Dunlop Retirement Village in Wheelers Hill in April last year.
  • Her husband and grandson have filed documents with Victoria's County Court, alleging Ryman Healthcare, operator of Weary Dunlop, failed to provide adequate supervision.
  • Staff only called an ambulance several hours after the incident, when Mrs Megens started vomiting and passed out.
  • Due to Mr Megen's terminal illness, the family is considering asking the County Court for an expedited hearing to have the matter heard in his lifetime.
We send our sincerest regards to Mr Megens and his family during this difficult period.

What’s your stance on this, members? Do you think the aged care facility is to blame or was this an unfortunate accident? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
My mother had a fall from a bathchair in a nursing home and died 6 days later due to brain injuries. The requirement was for 2 nurses to atten a bathchair but only one was in attendance which caused the chair to drop one side allowing mum to fall out hitting her head on the concrete floor. Nothing came of the accident. Just the judge stating the home was to obey all rules concerning personal bathchairs.

In my opinion the care home is at fault for not following up straight away with getting her checked out by a medical professional. Accidents happen but the way they are dealt with can be the difference between life and death. You can’t be too careful

My mother had a fall from a bathchair in a nursing home and died 6 days later due to brain injuries. The requirement was for 2 nurses to atten a bathchair but only one was in attendance which caused the chair to drop one side allowing mum to fall out hitting her head on the concrete floor. Nothing came of the accident. Just the judge stating the home was to obey all rules concerning personal bathchairs.
How terrible for your mum to die like that- I’m so sorry to hear it, and that there’s no responsibility taken is criminal- it will surely happen again and again as no consequences!!

My grandmother fell down stairs in a nursing home (yes, ungated stairs in a nursing home - in the UK) and wasn’t found until the next morning! Died a week later. My uncle suffered from vomiting for six weeks before his nursing home sent him to hospital. He had advanced stomach cancer and died four weeks later. There doesn’t seem to be any accountability.

It’s a devastating incident that could’ve been prevented. John and Lena Megens had shared 67 years of marriage when tragedy struck. Lena fell from a chair and sustained fatal brain injuries which led to her demise.

Now, John Megens is suing his own Melbourne nursing home in the hopes of seeing justice done about his wife’s case.

The terminally ill great-grandfather and his 92-year-old wife were both residents at Weary Dunlop Retirement Village in Wheelers Hill, Melbourne. According to John, his wife hit her head after falling from a chair inside the facility in April last year.

‘She was in high care to prevent her having falls,’ said Nick Mann from Polaris Lawyers who is acting on behalf of the family.

View attachment 14223
The couple had been living in a nursing home in Melbourne when tragedy struck. Credit: SAM LIN/Pexels

After suffering from brain injuries caused by the fall, Lena Megens sadly passed away four days later on April 15 at Monash Medical Centre.

‘I miss her very much,’ John shared and claimed she was the love of his life.

According to John, his wife’s death ‘should have never happened’. He and grandson Adam subsequently filed documents with Victoria’s County Court, alleging that Ryman Healthcare – the aged care company operating Weary Dunlop – failed to provide adequate supervision.

The pair said they’re suing the facility to make sure this incident doesn’t happen to others.

Based on the facts gathered surrounding the case, Mrs Megens fell from her chair on April 12, 2022. The supervisor that was watching over her had been tending to another resident but ‘rushed over’ as soon as she fell. Then, they checked her vitals.

However, it was believed that staff from the nursing home only called an ambulance several hours after the incident when Mrs Megens started vomiting and passed out. She never woke up after this.

View attachment 14224
It was reported that an ambulance wasn’t called immediately after Mrs Megens fell from her chair. Credit: Kevin Bidwell/Pexels

The aged care facility insists that the elderly woman was under supervision and a carer was in the room with her but was unable to prevent her from falling. They also said she received appropriate medical care and attention in the immediate aftermath.

‘They’re short on staff, that’s all it is,’ Mr Megens claimed.

Mr Mann questions the aged care facility's ability to provide care. ‘How many staff were on? What were the falls risks for Lena? How did they assess her? How did they protect her?’ He said during an interview with reporters.

However, Ryman Healthcare refutes the family’s claims and said Mrs Megens was ‘adequately supervised’ and has strongly denied allegations that they’re understaffed. They claimed that there were 10 residents in the unit on the day of the accident, with three personal carers, a registered nurse, and a unit coordinator. They further stated that they ‘provide more care per resident than government mandated requirements’.

Cameron Holland, CEO of Ryman Healthcare, told reporters: ‘Weary Dunlop provides more than 230 minutes of care per resident per day, far exceeding the government-mandated requirement of 200 minutes.’

With neither side backing down, the Megens family and representatives from Ryman Healthcare will now see each other in court. But for John, due to his terminal illness, this is a race against time.

‘I’d like to see the outcome,’ he shared before adding that he’s considering an expedited hearing to have the matter heard quickly.

Social media users were divided over the matter. Many claimed that ‘accidents happen’ in nursing homes.

‘It is sad for the family that this lady hit her head and died but it’s an unfortunate fact that sometimes people fall. You cannot stop someone falling,’ one declared.

‘Sadly, accidents happen. Residents in aged care fall through no fault of anyone. Sometimes they are impatient, sometimes they lose their balance. It’s not always the fault of the workers,’ one more offered.

However, one refuted this statement and said that dementia units are usually high dependency units. Therefore, it needs to be strictly watched.

‘My father had a fall in the middle of winter and left outside for over an hour. He had a broken wrist not checked for 8 weeks. There are care protocols after a fall and nobody took responsibility for this poor lady,’ the user added.

Another said that while falls do happen, the patient should always get checked by a doctor in the immediate aftermath – especially if the patient has dementia. ‘They can’t always recall what happened or what they hit. The ambulance was called hours afterwards when she started passing out and vomiting,’ they explained before adding that Mrs Megens’ demise could’ve been prevented had there been appropriate medical assistance given right away.

One more said that their concern is not with the fall itself but with the facility’s reaction time. ‘In my time, I have seen too many facilities who are in it for the fiscal return and not for humanitarian reasons like we are led to believe,’ they claimed.

While others simply sent their regards to the family members affected by the tragedy. ‘So sorry this happened to your dear wife, may she rest in peace,’ someone wrote.
Key Takeaways

• Lena Megens, 92, hit her head after falling from a chair at Weary Dunlop Retirement Village in Wheelers Hill in April last year.
  • Her husband and grandson have filed documents with Victoria's County Court, alleging Ryman Healthcare, operator of Weary Dunlop, failed to provide adequate supervision.
  • Staff only called an ambulance several hours after the incident, when Mrs Megens started vomiting and passed out.
  • Due to Mr Megen's terminal illness, the family is considering asking the County Court for an expedited hearing to have the matter heard in his lifetime.
We send our sincerest regards to Mr Megens and his family during this difficult period.

What’s your stance on this, members? Do you think the aged care facility is to blame or was this an unfortunate accident? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
My husband had advanced dementia and was in a High Care unit. He fell out of bed around midnight on a Friday night. He was put back into his bed. Next morning he would not get up and would not eat any breakfast. This Saturday was one of the rare days on which I had something else on and didn’t visit. They called the after-hours doctor, who said he’d had a major downturn and should go to hospital. So he was sent to the public hospital, quite late on the Saturday afternoon. I visited him on the Sunday morning. He was pleased to see me. The staff there told me he had just days to live, with an outside possibility of a few weeks. They scanned him for a broken hip, but wouldn’t scan for brain bleed because they said the process would scare him (it would have) and they wouldn’t do anything about it anyway. I asked for him to be sent straight back to the care home, where he was familiar with the place and the people. He died the following Sunday night at 10.30pm; they rang me at 10.35 and asked me to come and sit with him right away, so the funeral people could take his body away before the other residents got up. I refused, as I was nearly asleep, and went early on Monday morning. The funeral people came at 9am, and entered and left via outside doors, so they didn’t need to pass any other residents.

I think it's about time nursing homes take responsibility. Yes accidents happen but nursing homes are so under staffed, if they are going to take patients in then make sure you have enough staff to take care of them.

Including if there is an accident then get the necessary help in time

It will be interesting to see the outcome.

My 96 year old mum died last Friday at a nursing home. Most of the staff were great but there were a few tyrants and the general manager is an absolute bastard. Just one example, Why would you give someone a morphine injection before meal time? The way I see it they shortened my mum's life. I am trying to get over her death and I feel that I failed her in her last months after having cared for her for over 10 years.
This is not the end of it. When I get over the shock and deal with the funeral I will be going after them. If you have any problems with a nursing home it's is a good idea to put your grievances in writing and send them to the minister for aged care and to the aged care ombudsman.
If no one makes them aware of what is going on, nothing will change. Remember, they are all about profits. Again an example. This centre was charging $13 per day to have a TV and a phone in the room. If that is not a total rip off I don't know what is.

• Sad
Reactions: Penny4
My 96 year old mum died last Friday at a nursing home. Most of the staff were great but there were a few tyrants and the general manager is an absolute bastard. Just one example, Why would you give someone a morphine injection before meal time? The way I see it they shortened my mum's life. I am trying to get over her death and I feel that I failed her in her last months after having cared for her for over 10 years.
This is not the end of it. When I get over the shock and deal with the funeral I will be going after them. If you have any problems with a nursing home it's is a good idea to put your grievances in writing and send them to the minister for aged care and to the aged care ombudsman.
If no one makes them aware of what is going on, nothing will change. Remember, they are all about profits. Again an example. This centre was charging $13 per day to have a TV and a phone in the room. If that is not a total rip off I don't know what is.
I'm so sorry for your lost. I just went through something similar with my uncle who passed away on the 7th of January