Grandmother’s family battles for justice: ‘This will not be in vain’

The tragic death of Queensland grandmother Vyleen White has sparked a wave of outrage and calls for justice within the community.

However, her family is determined that she be remembered not for the tragic circumstances of her death but for the vibrant and loving life she led.

On Thursday, 29 February, over 100 mourners gathered to bid farewell to the 70-year-old, who was fatally stabbed in a suspected carjacking outside Redbank Plains Shopping Centre earlier in February.

The incident, allegedly involving a 16-year-old boy now charged with murder, has ignited a fierce debate on youth crime.

40544-425503689_779586527317181_4770104452337698398_n.jpg
The community paid tribute to Vyleen White after her unfortunate passing. Credit: David Crisafulli / Facebook

Vyleen's daughter, Cindy Micallef, delivered an emotional eulogy, vowing to fight for justice for her mother.

'We want to move forward, and mum’s legacy will live on, and we’re not going to let that go,' she said.

'We’re going to make sure we get justice for mum, and nothing will stop us until that happens.'

The senseless nature of White's death was a common thread in the tributes paid at the service, with friends and family expressing their grief over her life being cut short.

However, Micallef was adamant that her mother's death would not be in vain.

In the wake of the tragedy, the Ipswich community has called for tougher youth justice reforms.

New legislation has been proposed, dubbed Vyleen’s Law, aimed to provide harsher sentences and review bail conditions for serious repeat youth offenders.

'This is a catalyst for change in our lives and our community,' Micallef said.

'This will not be in vain. We are taking this to the next level...we’re going up, and we’re going to get justice for this.'

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 7.27.46 AM.png
Vyleen White’s family will get justice for their mother. Credit: 7NEWS Australia / Youtube

Following White’s passing, the Queensland government has proposed laws to give victims’ families and media greater access to court hearings involving youths.

This comes after the 16-year-old boy charged with White's murder appeared in a closed court hearing, with a magistrate refusing media access.

Additionally, there's a sense of immediacy to the government's push to outlaw knife sales.

Despite the tragic circumstances, Micallef insisted that her mother be remembered for the legacy of her life.

White was known for her love for her cat, Chloe, her knack for Donald Duck impersonations, and her fondness for watching funny animal videos.

Above all, she was known for her unwavering love for her family and friends and, indeed, anyone who crossed her path.

'There will never be enough words to adequately describe mum,' an emotional Micallef said.

'Unconditional love was always there no matter the circumstance, and with us, there were a lot of circumstances.'

White's passion for prayer was also highlighted, with friends sharing that she likely said a prayer for everyone, regardless of who they were.

'It didn’t matter if you were a neighbour, someone buying a washing machine, or just coming to say hello. No one was left out,' Micallef added.

The service was attended by Opposition Leader David Crisafulli, Leader of the African Community Council Beny Bol, and several police officers.

You may watch 7NEWS’ coverage below:

Credit: 7News Australia / Youtube

Key Takeaways

• Queensland grandmother Vyleen White was tragically killed in a suspected carjacking outside Redbank Plains Shopping Centre, sparking calls for justice and youth crime reform.
  • Her daughter, Cindy Micallef, delivered an emotional eulogy at White's funeral, where over 100 mourners gathered to remember her passion and love for life.
  • The Queensland community, particularly in Ipswich, is advocating for Vyleen's Law which proposes harsher penalties and stricter bail conditions for repeat serious youth offenders.
  • In response to White's death, the Queensland government is pursuing legislative changes for greater court transparency in youth cases and has fast-tracked laws to restrict knife sales.
As they continue their fight for justice, they also strive to keep alive the memory of a woman whose life was marked by love, laughter, and an unwavering faith in humanity.

Rest in peace, Vyleen White.

Sponsored
These Judges who give these young offenders a slap on the wrist and bail should be held accountable! Disgraceful what's happening here in Australia.....youth crime out of control and noone has an answer!
Put these kids out on a farm well away from society and make them work....also give them a hard lesson in respect.....something most don't seem to learn anymore 😤🤬🤬🤬

If the USA can lock up 11-year-olds, so can we!
Stop bringing in refugees, that are trained and brought up to kill and destroy, when even their own people won't take them in!
How much more trauma and death must we endure?
Do we have to wait for a politician or his family to become a victim first?

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH...!!!

R.I.P. Vyleen and condolences to the White family. 🌹🌹🌹 :cry:

I also agree that the useless freaking Judges are held responsible for allowing this scum to walk on our streets. Jail sentences for judges should be mandantory and locked up with lifers and the inocent people they lock up. Let these prisioners dish out the punishment. Judges are bigger scum than the worst criminals and as corrupt as they come. As long as they get their over paid salary, they don't give a shit how their actions affect inocent people.
So long as the criminal says, I'm guilty sir and I am really sorry, boo hoo hoo. the dickhed judge replys, I see you show remorse for your actions so I'll let you off with a slap on the wrist. The criminal walks out the door and before they get home they've commited another crime. And then the same thing happens again. Sorry if I sound harsh but it's true. Cops are no better. Useless as tits on a bulls arse. Murderers should get life with no parole including murdering cops.

I also agree that the useless freaking Judges are held responsible for allowing this scum to walk on our streets. Jail sentences for judges should be mandantory and locked up with lifers and the inocent people they lock up. Let these prisioners dish out the punishment. Judges are bigger scum than the worst criminals and as corrupt as they come. As long as they get their over paid salary, they don't give a shit how their actions affect inocent people.
So long as the criminal says, I'm guilty sir and I am really sorry, boo hoo hoo. the dickhed judge replys, I see you show remorse for your actions so I'll let you off with a slap on the wrist. The criminal walks out the door and before they get home they've commited another crime. And then the same thing happens again. Sorry if I sound harsh but it's true. Cops are no better. Useless as tits on a bulls arse. Murderers should get life with no parole including murdering cops.
AGREE... 110%

No defending Labour but it's been going on for longer than Labour has been in power it is just now being highlighted
Not like this - it has reached epidemic proportions and has to be curbed. Judges should be tasked with mandatory sentencing for rape/ armed robbery and assault causing bodily harm. They should not have a choice!
I agree with a farm environment for young offenders where they get taught skills and respect for themselves and others - it should be for at least a year and probably longer.

Not like this - it has reached epidemic proportions and has to be curbed. Judges should be tasked with mandatory sentencing for rape/ armed robbery and assault causing bodily harm. They should not have a choice!
I agree with a farm environment for young offenders where they get taught skills and respect for themselves and others - it should be for at least a year and probably longer.
A year at a farm in the middle of the Simpson Desert.

Fend for yourselves....

• Love
Reactions: maherdj and mOiOz
Bring back the army..make it compulsory for any offenders!!!!!

Don’t be sorry for sounding harsh you are saying everything that should be said they do the crime they should be locked up immediately the judges that give these savages bail should be kicked off the bench they are as far as I am concerned as bad as these criminals I don’t give a flying rats arse what age they are.

Don’t be sorry for sounding harsh you are saying everything that should be said they do the crime they should be locked up immediately the judges that give these savages bail should be kicked off the bench they are as far as I am concerned as bad as these criminals I don’t give a flying rats arse what age they are.
Should be given the dea**sentence... mongrel