Government to roll out digital IDs in few weeks—here's what we know so far

As we navigate the digital age, identity is transforming, and Australia is at the forefront of this change.

In the coming weeks, Australians will witness the introduction of national digital identity laws.

This move could redefine how we prove who we are online and is a significant development for those concerned about privacy and security in an increasingly online world.

Understanding the National Digital ID

The national digital ID, known as myGovID, is not just a digital version of existing identification documents; it's a comprehensive system designed to simplify and secure the process of proving one's identity to various organisations.

How does myGovID work?

The myGovID system is a digital intermediary between you and organisations requiring identity verification.

shutterstock_2166069807.jpg
The myGovID is a digital identification document getting mixed reactions from Aussies nationwide. Image Credit: Shutterstock/arnont09

Instead of presenting physical documents, you'll use an app to confirm your identity.

The app communicates with the organisation through a secure government-approved pathway, confirming your identity without sharing sensitive information.
Thoughts on going digital

The primary advantage of a digital ID system is enhanced security.

Identity theft and fraud are significant risks with traditional methods, as seen in recent data breaches at Optus, Medibank, and Latitude.

A digital ID system may reduce these risks by limiting the sharing of personal information to a secure, verified tick of approval.

This system can also alleviate the burden of advanced cybersecurity practices, which can be costly and complex for small and medium-sized businesses.

By reducing the number of organisations holding personal data, the digital ID system minimises the risk of compromised information.

Addressing privacy and security concerns

Despite the benefits, there are valid concerns about privacy and law enforcement access to digital ID information.

While the legislation requires police to obtain a warrant to access digital ID data, some experts argue that the threshold for access should be higher and limited to serious crime investigations.

Moreover, while the system is designed to be secure, it's not immune to cyber threats.

An 'adversary in the middle' attack, where a hacker intercepts communication between the app and government servers, is a potential vulnerability.
Voluntary participation and legislative progress

Usage of myGovID is not mandatory but voluntary.

Citizens can choose whether or not to adopt the digital ID, and it will not replace traditional forms of identification.

The legislation has passed the Senate and is expected to be enacted following the next sitting session of the House of Representatives.

MyGovID is operational for around 130 government services but still needs to be made available for private company use.

The complete integration, including private sector access, may roll out within two years of the legislation's enactment.

What this means for you

Staying informed about these changes is crucial and understanding how they might affect online interactions is vital.

The promise of a more secure and convenient way to manage your identity online is appealing.

It's also essential to remain vigilant about privacy and the security of your personal information.

The introduction of myGovID represents a significant shift in how Australians interact with government and private entities online.

As this system rolls out, we encourage you to learn more about it, consider the implications for your online activities, and decide whether to participate.
Key Takeaways

• Australia is set to introduce national digital identity laws, with the system referred to as myGovID, which is already in operation for certain government services.
  • Digital IDs allow Australians to identify themselves online without needing traditional 'points' of ID, streamlining verification processes and increasing security.
  • Experts showed concern regarding law enforcement access to digital ID data, with advocates suggesting that such access should be restricted and limited to serious crime investigations.
  • The national digital identity system legislation will be voluntary and is expected to pass through the House of Representatives soon, with private companies planning to gain access within two years of enactment.
What are your thoughts on this new law? Share your opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I sometimes feel the way the SDC presents these stories, that they support the left. They love putting these stories out there but also support them to a degree, but then, '...what do you think of this, members?'
I see a lot of heated responses here and I'm getting the feeling people think the grubberment has the power. We the people are the masses. We have the power. We must vote with our feet - always! And we must be strong in doing this. When you leave Netflix or Disney because you don't support their wokeness, DO NOT sign back up a month later! When you leave PayPal because they were overreaching (then re-nigged), DO NOT sign back up a month later. When you close your Amazon account because Jeff Bezos is...Jeff Bezos (I could go on for hours), DO NOT sign back up.
Someone mentioned, 'There are Australia-wide protests against this digital ID on the 25th of May.' Look it up and GO!
The Australian Citizens Party is pushing for a public post-office bank which is gaining quite a bit of traction. If this passes, this will shit in the face of all those banks closing down. Look it up and SUPPORT IT!
There is much for us to do. I urge you to get involved and DO SOMETHING. There are many of us but we need more of you!

Reactions: wjs1957
Typical BS from the ALP/Greens. What a stupid idea. I believe that the "Handsome is getting this from his Chinese mates who who fails to realise are ridiculing him as we should at the next election. He keeps throwing BS at us hoping that we would follow. I for one am not a sheep. Hasn't this PM enough real problems on his plate without creating more? Perhaps he should honor his promises (LIES) of the last election such as:
a. Cheaper electricity FAIL
b. Cheaper Cost of living FAIL
c. Cheaper Mortgage Rates FAIL
d. Reduce Government spending FAIL
e. Lower Immigration Fail
I could go on but you know not to trust ALBO and his mates.

Reactions: Robbo3006
Typical BS from the ALP/Greens. What a stupid idea. I believe that the "Handsome is getting this from his Chinese mates who who fails to realise are ridiculing him as we should at the next election. He keeps throwing BS at us hoping that we would follow. I for one am not a sheep. Hasn't this PM enough real problems on his plate without creating more? Perhaps he should honor his promises (LIES) of the last election such as:
I agree with all you said but I still think Duttons worse. Bit like American politics, all as bad as eachother.

So Mr Peter "Potato Head" Dutton is your choice of the country's leader?

Oh dear!!

Reactions: DLHM and Robbo3006
At least we haven't reached the depths of the United States of Arrogance by voting for former actors and TV "celebrities" to lead the country.

Yet....
Since voting in the USA is not compulsory, I find it incredible how many Americans vote in presidential elections. Why? The way I see it, politicians are all the same anyway.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Clive Palmer's United Party? Do they still exist? Marijuana Party? Men Without Hats Party?

Just a bunch of fringe dwellers with little or no impact.
Fringe Dwellers? Maybe people need to give some of these other players a chance instead of calling them useless without giving them a try, it's damn sure the current lot aren't playing the game with the people in mind. Instead of criticizing we need to do better, instead of constantly electing these morons who are doing nothing other than making life miseable for the common man and lining their own pockets at our expense. There are heaps of independents in Govt. we just need to make them a majority not Just a bunch of "fringe dwellers" with little or no impact.

Fringe Dwellers? Maybe people need to give some of these other players a chance instead of calling them useless without giving them a try, it's damn sure the current lot aren't playing the game with the people in mind. Instead of criticizing we need to do better, instead of constantly electing these morons who are doing nothing other than making life miseable for the common man and lining their own pockets at our expense. There are heaps of independents in Govt. we just need to make them a majority not Just a bunch of "fringe dwellers" with little or no impact.
What would a government with a majority of independents with differing policies and agendas look like? A disorganised rabble?

I am first to admit that I know SFA about politics and I intend to remain that way.

Reactions: DLHM
A politician is a politician ..... scum

Which is why we have to stop voting for one or the other. Prior to the 40s we had independents running the Government. The only difference between Liberal and the Labour is the spelling. These morons only do what makes them look good to their repective parties, not what is good for Australia and it's Citizens.
Independents with only for the greater good of the nation, but good luck with that. I may be a better candidate than some as I don't have an axe to grind and refuse to bow down to the abhorrent frenzied demands of minorities. And refuse to waste tax payer funds on pet project referendums. However I will meet with recognized members one on one concerned legitimate parties. I reiterate I'm already on a pension and would only use accountable costs. And in a perfect world I could chase down these Ministers and Contactors who claim and sign off on $Bill ions in cost overruns of for example one particular project? unfortunately one of many. (You will have excuse me now, they are coming for me with the straight jacket?)

Last edited:
Independents with only for the greater good of the nation, but good luck with that. I may be a better candidate some as I don't have to grind and refuse to bow down to the abhorrent frenzied demands of minorities. And refuse to waste tax payer funds on pet project referendums. However I will meet with recognized members one on one concerned legitimate parties. I reiterate I'm already on a pension and would only accountable costs. And in a perfect world I could chase down these Ministers and Contactors who claim and sign oof on $Billions in cost overruns of for example one particular project? unfortunately one of many. (You will have excuse me now they are coming with the straight jacket?)
@Luckyus for prime minister....

• Haha
Reactions: DLHM