Government set to wipe off demerit points of eligible drivers in the New Year

In a move that could bring a collective sigh of relief to many, one state government has announced a trial that could see over one million drivers have a demerit point removed from their driving records.

This initiative, which is part of a broader strategy to improve road safety, underscores the government's commitment to rewarding good driving behaviour and reducing the road toll.

The trial offers a clean slate to drivers in New South Wales who have managed to maintain an unblemished record from January 17, 2023, and keep it up until January 17, 2024.

Initially, 1.7 million motorists were in the running, but the number has decreased to 1.3 million as the end of the trial period approaches.

SDC 22.png
The NSW government is set to reduce one demerit point for drivers who are able to maintain a clean record from January 17, 2023, to January 17, 2024. Image source: jcomp on Freepik.

With just a few weeks left, the NSW government urged drivers to stay vigilant, follow the rules, and drive according to the conditions to remain eligible for the demerit point reduction.

The scheme will reportedly remain in place in 2024.

Roads Minister John Graham has emphasised that the trial is not just a reward system but a critical component of the state's road safety strategy.

By incentivising safe driving, the government hopes to see a significant decrease in road accidents and fatalities.

'Our message is crystal clear: drive safely, and you'll get a point scrubbed from your licence,' Graham stated.

'The more people who qualify for a point, the safer our roads will be.'

'I am deeply concerned by the number of lives lost on NSW roads.'

'The road toll is rising in other states, so this is a shared problem across the nation, but we must do all we can here in NSW to make sure everyone gets home safely to their family.'

Regional Transport and Roads Minister Jenny Aitchison has also reminded drivers of the importance of taking regular breaks, adhering to speed limits, and following road signs.

'If all 1.3 million motorists drive safely and within the speed limit, then we will see fewer deaths at a time when we must focus on turning the road toll around,' she said.

'Simple acts such as wearing your seatbelt and putting your phone away could just save yours or another road user’s life.'

This news comes after it was announced that eligible drivers who have used toll roads since July 2022 could claim rebates of up to $1552.

The news was brought to light by a vigilant citizen who took to social media to remind her fellow drivers, 'If you haven’t already done it, the NSW government owes you money.'

She urged drivers to log into their Service NSW account and look for the 'claim your toll rebate' option. Following the prompts would reveal whether they were eligible for a rebate and, if so, how much.

The post also highlighted a new feature for NSW drivers who are sole traders, as they can now claim by linking their business account.

You can read more about this news here.
Key Takeaways
  • Over one million NSW drivers may have a demerit point removed from their licence if they maintain a clean driving record from January 17, 2023, to January 17, 2024.
  • The trial aims to reduce the road toll by encouraging safe driving practices.
  • Roads Minister John Graham highlighted that the initiative is part of efforts to ensure road safety and reduce fatalities in NSW.
  • Regional Transport and Roads Minister Jenny Aitchison stressed the importance of following road rules, such as taking breaks, observing speed limits, and wearing seatbelts for road safety and to save lives.
Members, what are your tips for maintaining a clean driving record? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
That would be right, the only thing Victoria has to to look forward to is the stupifying debt left by the POX RIDDEN SCROTUM, DAN BASTARD ANDREWS
Like the TRILLION dollar debt left by a far greater POX RIDDEN SCROTUM, BASTARD MORRISON & Co.

Well, there are 66 pages of demerit points to get through....... they are bound to catch someone..... mongrels

In my humble opinion the increase to road accidents has a lot to do with the fact that speedos in cars are no longer accurate. Drivers have no idea what speed they are travelling at. All speedos are up to 10% plus 4KM out, and drivers are trying to adjust their speed to something more like the speed limit and many are now going over the limit. I have had so many close calls because of this including being tailgated by dangerously close by roadtrain drivers. Dealerships will not fix speedos under warranty because the ADR say they can be out. The road tolls have increased 10 fold since this pathetic rule. I'm now fighting a speeding fine in court despite having a radar detector and knowing I wasn't speeding. I'll just keeping taking this to court if necessary and waste as much time as I can to make this expensive for the court. I'm trying to start a class action against the ADR to try and have speedos made accurate again. Please send speeding tickets to the the ADR with a note stating speedos must be made accurate again and refuse to pay it. If they return it send it back again until they get the message. If everyone does this they will soon get the message that this not acceptable.

Good luck with that too
In my humble opinion the increase to road accidents has a lot to do with the fact that speedos in cars are no longer accurate. Drivers have no idea what speed they are travelling at. All speedos are up to 10% plus 4KM out, and drivers are trying to adjust their speed to something more like the speed limit and many are now going over the limit. I have had so many close calls because of this including being tailgated by dangerously close by roadtrain drivers. Dealerships will not fix speedos under warranty because the ADR say they can be out. The road tolls have increased 10 fold since this pathetic rule. I'm now fighting a speeding fine in court despite having a radar detector and knowing I wasn't speeding. I'll just keeping taking this to court if necessary and waste as much time as I can to make this expensive for the court. I'm trying to start a class action against the ADR to try and have speedos made accurate again. Please send speeding tickets to the the ADR with a note stating speedos must be made accurate again and refuse to pay it. If they return it send it back again until they get the message. If everyone does this they will soon get the message that this not acceptable.
Good luck with that David, all Speedos are out between 5 & 10%. They are overstated so if you are going 100km on your Speedo you are only going 95 or thereabouts, therefore you will never get booked. Keep fighting and one day you will wake up with no licence, but I wish you luck.

Reactions: Ezzy
Can you please put the state in the trailers for anything that's state based please? I'm sick of having to click into an article to find out it doesn't apply to wehere I live - very annoying clickbait!
I live in W.A. dear lady & don't give a damn personally. I find it interesting to read what is happening in other states that we wouldn't hear about in the news on radio or t.v. l apologies if my comment brings offence to any reader here.

If you have an unblemished record the 3 years reset means nothing. Why would you want credits, monetary bonus on your third party or licence would be more appropriate. PS: it would cost less than a couple of $1000: pa, not too will be in that camp.
Even better thought!

Discrimination against all the drivers who obey the rules and don‘t have demerit points. What is our reward for always being good drivers?
Discount the costs of registration.

There used to be a discount on NSW licence renewal if you had a clean record. When Minns came in he quietly stopped this, so this "point" reduction if you are a good boy seems illogical, as only those that were not "good" benefit.

I was furious..got 6 points because I moved from centre lane to outside lane to make it available for Police and ambulance..it was over a short two streets from where I exited from my home .
then an extra three point doubled the point score because it was Holiday Weekend for King Charles.
I wrote to the Police Minister, with a detailed list, and GUESS WHAT . SHE COULD NOT CARE LESS AND DID NOT EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE MY LETTER.

What hope does anyone have with the present system. ,!!
Did you use your indicators?

Not really going to be a clean slate as the story claims, they are only having 1 demerit point reinstated. I don’t know of any offences that only carry 1 demerit point so anyone with demerit points would have a minimum of 2, so removing 1 will not give them a clean slate. Be interesting to see if it applies to P plate drivers as well.

In a move that could bring a collective sigh of relief to many, one state government has announced a trial that could see over one million drivers have a demerit point removed from their driving records.

This initiative, which is part of a broader strategy to improve road safety, underscores the government's commitment to rewarding good driving behaviour and reducing the road toll.

The trial offers a clean slate to drivers in New South Wales who have managed to maintain an unblemished record from January 17, 2023, and keep it up until January 17, 2024.

Initially, 1.7 million motorists were in the running, but the number has decreased to 1.3 million as the end of the trial period approaches.

View attachment 37835
The NSW government is set to reduce one demerit point for drivers who are able to maintain a clean record from January 17, 2023, to January 17, 2024. Image source: jcomp on Freepik.

With just a few weeks left, the NSW government urged drivers to stay vigilant, follow the rules, and drive according to the conditions to remain eligible for the demerit point reduction.

The scheme will reportedly remain in place in 2024.

Roads Minister John Graham has emphasised that the trial is not just a reward system but a critical component of the state's road safety strategy.

By incentivising safe driving, the government hopes to see a significant decrease in road accidents and fatalities.

'Our message is crystal clear: drive safely, and you'll get a point scrubbed from your licence,' Graham stated.

'The more people who qualify for a point, the safer our roads will be.'

'I am deeply concerned by the number of lives lost on NSW roads.'

'The road toll is rising in other states, so this is a shared problem across the nation, but we must do all we can here in NSW to make sure everyone gets home safely to their family.'

Regional Transport and Roads Minister Jenny Aitchison has also reminded drivers of the importance of taking regular breaks, adhering to speed limits, and following road signs.

'If all 1.3 million motorists drive safely and within the speed limit, then we will see fewer deaths at a time when we must focus on turning the road toll around,' she said.

'Simple acts such as wearing your seatbelt and putting your phone away could just save yours or another road user’s life.'

This news comes after it was announced that eligible drivers who have used toll roads since July 2022 could claim rebates of up to $1552.

The news was brought to light by a vigilant citizen who took to social media to remind her fellow drivers, 'If you haven’t already done it, the NSW government owes you money.'

She urged drivers to log into their Service NSW account and look for the 'claim your toll rebate' option. Following the prompts would reveal whether they were eligible for a rebate and, if so, how much.

The post also highlighted a new feature for NSW drivers who are sole traders, as they can now claim by linking their business account.

You can read more about this news here.
Key Takeaways

• Over one million NSW drivers may have a demerit point removed from their licence if they maintain a clean driving record from January 17, 2023, to January 17, 2024.
  • The trial aims to reduce the road toll by encouraging safe driving practices.
  • Roads Minister John Graham highlighted that the initiative is part of efforts to ensure road safety and reduce fatalities in NSW.
  • Regional Transport and Roads Minister Jenny Aitchison stressed the importance of following road rules, such as taking breaks, observing speed limits, and wearing seatbelts for road safety and to save lives.
Members, what are your tips for maintaining a clean driving record? Share them with us in the comments below!
Ive always kept a clean record. I’ve never accrued points