Government proposes laws to combat subscription traps and hidden fee

In an era where online shopping and subscription services have become the norm, the Albanese government is taking a stand against the underhanded tactics that leave consumers out of pocket.

The proposed legislation is a clarion call to businesses that have been profiting from hidden fees and subscription traps, signalling a crackdown on these ‘dodgy practices’.

The government's proposed laws are a response to the growing concern over businesses that employ confusing subscription cancellation processes or use sneaky tactics to impose hidden fees on consumers.

These practices, often buried in the fine print or masked by complex website navigation, can lead to unexpected charges that inflate the cost of living for unsuspecting customers.

clay-banks-XvS-uKUoUao-unsplash.jpg
The Albanese government has proposed laws to combat businesses’ processes of subscription traps and hidden fees. Credit: Unsplash

The Treasury has been given the responsibility of consulting on the draft laws and finalising them in the first half of 2025.

This will involve consultation with states and territories, and the legislation is expected to be introduced after the federal election, which is due by May at the latest.

Under the new laws, businesses could face bans for employing tactics such as complicated subscription cancellation processes, dynamic pricing, and 'drip pricing’ methods.

Drip pricing involves adding extra fees throughout a protracted checkout process.

The crackdown isn't limited to subscription models.

Online merchants using deceptive practices, such as hiding important information, creating a false sense of urgency with countdowns, or making it difficult for consumers to contact the business for complaints, will also be targeted.

Merchants who refuse consumer refunds, repairs, or replacements could face penalties enforced by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) or state and territory agencies.

Stakeholders are invited to respond to the consultation paper, which will be released on Wednesday, to contribute to shaping the legislation.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said businesses doing these have been put ‘on notice’.

‘We’re taking strong action to stop businesses from engaging in dodgy practices that rip consumers off,’ he said.

‘Hidden fees and traps are putting even more pressure on the cost of living and it needs to stop.’

Treasurer Jim Chalmers echoed this sentiment, emphasising that while most businesses were ‘doing the right thing’, the fight against unfair practices is also a battle to ease cost-of-living pressures for households.

‘This is all about cracking down on dodgy deals to save Australians money if we can and where we can,’ he said.

Assistant Treasurer and Financial Services Minister Stephen Jones highlighted that the new rules would extend consumer protections to online shopping.

‘Consumer protections shouldn’t stop at the internet. Whether you are shopping online or at a brick-and-mortar store, the Albanese government is protecting Australian consumers,’ he said.

‘This is all about ending the rip-offs so people don’t fall into subscription traps or added fees when they purchase things like airline or concert tickets.’

This announcement follows Labor's promise to ban debit card surcharges from 1 January 2026 if the reform isn't implemented through a current review by the Reserve Bank.

Additionally, the consumer watchdog has received an extra $2.1 million in funding to tackle excessive surcharges and work to reduce payment fees.
Key Takeaways
  • The Albanese government is proposing legislation to crack down on subscription traps and hidden fees.
  • Treasury is consulting on the draft laws, which target confusing subscription cancellations, dynamic pricing, and 'drip pricing', among other deceptive practices.
  • The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission will have the authority to penalise businesses refusing refunds, repairs, or replacements under the new laws.
  • The proposed measures aim to protect consumers, particularly online, and alleviate cost-of-living pressures.
Have you ever been caught in a subscription trap or hit with unexpected fees? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
This is great. I am having a problem with a company that says I opted in to receiving goods each month because I didn't tick the opt out box when I first bought something from them. They are billing me almost $100 for an item I didn't receive and have already told them this. They cannot produce signed document to say I received the item, so they have their chance and Buckley's of getting the money. There should be a law that says you have to opt in to receive regular items.

I have a problem with a big company they sent me parcels and I don't even shop with that company the first one i sent back at my coast the second one lucky I was home and court the post and made them take it back but when I tried to go to complaints you couldn't get in until you put your credit card number in. when the post took it back I have had no more trouble

This is great. I am having a problem with a company that says I opted in to receiving goods each month because I didn't tick the opt out box when I first bought something from them. They are billing me almost $100 for an item I didn't receive and have already told them this. They cannot produce signed document to say I received the item, so they have their chance and Buckley's of getting the money. There should be a law that says you have to opt in to receive regular items.
ive noticed a lot of 'auto orders' by not' opting out' its not legal and I have won 3 cases in court. Any company signals they are crooks by using this illegal act, (although its a clear sign your dealing with a crook) The other thing to watch out for is after you have accepted a product on line and after you have given your card details instead of issuing a receipt they have "before you go" section and then proceed to sell you add ons and here's the catch ''they make it so you have to opt out and then disguise the very faint "no' button, usually light grey print on a white background, very hard to see so it becomes an add on....these can also be reversed but who wants to go to court,you WILL win if you do

• Wow
Reactions: Dynamo
Haha what about the dodgey practice of businesses charging for paper bills (ie rates notices as per other article in this newsletter today & utilities companies, etc), how bout a crackdown against that?