Government announces $14.7 million investment to help scam victims seek compensation

Unfortunately, as we navigate the digital age, scams have become a standard part of our online experience, leaving many Australians feeling vulnerable and unsure of where to turn when they fall victim to these deceitful practices.

But there's a glimmer of hope on the horizon for those who scammers have duped as the federal government steps up its game with a new initiative to support scam victims.

In a significant move, the Albanese government has announced a $14.7 million investment to establish a streamlined process for scam victims seeking compensation through the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA).

This new pathway promises to offer an independent channel for those who have had trouble resolving their issues with banks, telecom providers, or social media networks.

1729741667673.png
$14.7m is being invested by the Albanese government to establish a pathway within the AFCA for scam victims seeking compensation. Credit: Shutterstock

Assistant Treasurer Stephen Jones has clarified that businesses must safeguard their customers, stating, 'Our scams crackdown will cut off the avenues scammers use to target Australians by setting a high bar for what businesses must do to prevent them.'

'We want victims of scams to know the government has their backs, and we want businesses to understand that they have a responsibility to protect Australians from these often devastating scammers.'

Under this new system, victims will have the opportunity to lodge claims against multiple entities.

For instance, if someone falls prey to a scam on social media and loses money, they could claim both the social platform and their bank should AFCA find that these entities did not implement sufficient protections.

This initiative is part of a broader push by the Albanese government to urge businesses, mainly social media platforms, to take more proactive measures in preventing Australians from being scammed out of billions of dollars each year.

In July, the government introduced new mandatory codes requiring social media companies, banks, and telecommunications companies to intensify their efforts against scams.

While overall scam losses have decreased, reports of scams on social media surged by 17 per cent in 2023.

This troubling trend underscores the importance of the government's latest measures.

In 2022 alone, Australians lost a staggering $2.74 billion to scams, highlighting the critical need for stronger protections and support for victims.

In other news, authorities issued alerts about a rise in scams targeting individuals who have already been victimised, promising financial recovery.

Victims are lured into paying upfront fees, sharing personal information, or making tax payments, believing they will recover their losses, only to be scammed again. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • The Albanese government is investing $14.7m to establish a centralised pathway within the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) for scam victims seeking compensation.
  • Victims of scams will be able to claim compensation through an independent channel if they can't resolve their issues with banks, telecom providers, or social media networks.
  • Assistant Treasurer Stephen Jones emphasised that businesses are responsible for protecting their customers and that the government is taking action to prevent scamming.
  • New mandatory codes were introduced in July, requiring social media companies, banks, and telecoms to enhance their efforts in protecting Australians from scams, which cost citizens $2.74 billion last year.
Have you or someone you know been affected by a scam? What measures are necessary to protect Australians from these fraudulent activities? Share your opinions in the comments below.

• Haha
Reactions: NotNats and Dynamo
Sponsored
I am so pleased that there will be some help for scam victims. When I was scammed recently I reported as it was happening to police and my credit union. It took weeks but AFCA finally helped me. It made me angry that my pension had been stolen by supposedly Google play and no one believed me.
The police said that I could have pressed the wrong button on my computer.

Heading into the 'Silly Season' leading up to Christmas, it's time for the numerous fake scam shopping sites to appear on social media, especially Facebook/Meta, etc. Remember, if the price is 'too good to be true', you're correct, it isn't true! They'll either send you nothing at all or an alternative similar, but very cheap, product that is not what you thought you paid for. Sure, it might only be a $10 scam that you just say "you live n' learn" to afterwards but multiply that by a million customers and it's still big money... for them!

Tip: If you see something on a Facebook ad that you like the looks of, DON'T CLICK ON IT, note it down and search for the item on Google instead to see if it comes up on other legitimate sites and what the correct price should be.

Reactions: Jo Piper3