Got Health insurance? Your Premiums Went Up Again

Amid a cost of living crisis, health insurers have seen fit to increase their premiums again. We’ve seen mortgage rates increase, grocery prices spike, petrol prices peak, and now our health insurance premiums have increased by an average of 2.90%*.

You could already be paying up to $167 more per year* for your health insurance, and that’s just for those of you who are NOT with one of the ‘Big Five’ health insurers—think BUPA, Medibank, HCF, nib and HBF.

If you are with one of the ‘Big Five’, you could be paying up to $194 per year* for the same cover you currently have.

shutterstock_298537103.jpg
Health insurance premiums are on the rise again. Image Credit: Shutterstock

What can you do?
There is some good news. Your health insurer* will let you know your policy’s exact increase before the increase takes effect—and if you can afford to prepay a full year’s premium, you can lock in 12 (or in some cases up to 18) months of cover at the current year's prices.

For example, nib allows you to prepay 13 months, and HCF and HBF allow 18 months*. As nib only increases its premium on 1 October, nib members can lock in their current premium until November 2024, potentially saving hundreds*. But we know this isn’t financially feasible for many of our members, so what are the other options?

Luckily, it’s not all doom and gloom. Over the past four years, we know over 44,000 Australians over 50* who have saved an average of $259.50* on their health insurance just by comparing and switching their cover with Compare Club*.

How to save
These Australians managed to save with the help of Compare Club*. Compare Club* helps Aussies find health insurance that is more affordable and better suited to their needs*.

It broke our heart when we were told this, but Aussies over 60 are often left to fend for themselves, unknowingly paying for health cover they will never be able to use. Compare Club* have seen Aussies in their 60s, 70s and even 80s paying for pregnancy and IVF cover, without even knowing it, and this should never be the case.

Compare Club can help* our dear members compare multiple health insurers, cover options and pricing all in one place. Their service can save you time, but the most significant benefit for most is how much money you can save off your yearly premiums*, especially when health insurance premiums aren’t the only thing increasing in cost!

Why Compare Club?*
You get the peace of mind that comes with working with trusted professionals with the years of experience* needed to navigate the complicated health insurance system and keep you from further confusion. For example, many of our members worry about not being with ‘one of the big five’ when there is no such thing as a ‘dodgy’ health fund in Australia, as the industry is heavily governed.

How do we know Compare Club* can be trusted? They’re one of our long-term partners* with whom we have personally compared health insurers! You can read about Maddie’s experience here*.

They also have an ‘Excellent’ rating on TrustPilot with 4.6 stars*. Not a bad shout, eh?

One customer said*: ‘When I contacted Compare Club, I had an idea of what I wanted but not how to do what was needed. Dale, who I dealt with, was more than helpful & he has given me the peace of mind I have been trying to find for so long. I would recommend Compare Club to everyone.’

Another added*: ‘No pushy salesperson and very thorough in the process and making sure I knew what I was getting and that I was happy with my choice.’

The team at Compare Club* will make sure you have the health cover you need while paying a price you’re comfortable with*.

So, if you’re sick of endlessly researching health insurers, are looking to save money or simply find cover better suited to your needs, Compare Club is ready to help*.

It’s worth comparing your health insurance* to see if you can save money. You won’t lose anything by comparing; you only stand to save*! After all, if you don’t like the quote you receive from Compare Club*, you don’t have to do anything.

*Please note, members, that this is a sponsored article. All content of ours that has an asterisk next to it means we may get a commission to write an article or post a deal. We do this to assist with the costs of running the SDC. Thank you!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Ever thought how much surgeries are going up? Heart surgery can be upward of $50,000, joint replacements $35,000 upwards ?? Let alone drs you have theatre staff, ancillary staff. And guess who raises the prices. Our beloved Government Medicare which is not worth a pinch of salt. Yet without Medicare we'd really be screwed here in Australia. Health Insurance may rise but it is only ONCE a year or would you prefer to wait 4 years for hip replacement? Urgent cases will always go through Accident & Emergency. There is always two sides. Pop along to your local member and let them know how you feel, call, write, email. We the people can make the difference. I say all this having worked in the Healthcare industry for many years.

Reactions: Ezzy
We ditched private health insurance a couple of years ago. We put our money into a high earning investment account. We have a tidy sum in the account earning money for us in case we have to use it. After a couple of dentist visits and receiving next to nothing back then having to have an operation which would have cost me $2000 gap I decided that private insurance was a waste of money. The operation was carried out in a public hospital, in the private wing and cost nothing. Same surgeon, same gasman, only had to wait a couple of months longer and if it turned urgent the surgeon would fit me in. Save your money.

Still waiting for my compare the market report by email been over a week now so I won't hold my breath. I have to agree health insurance is a huge waste of money, I had eye surgery it wasn't the usual cataract but an eye surgery to help save my sight, a Baevelt drainage implant, not a common surgery like cataract but still necessary so guess what no Medicare rebate so no health fund rebate that stinks it cost me $3k out of pocket to have surgery when I have specifically taken out a higher cover which includes major eye surgery.

Reactions: Leenie
Sometimes its the greed of surgeons ,I had total knee replacement over 15 yrs ago and was out of pocket surgeon only $2000 .Minor heart surgery 7 yrs ago cardiologist fee $14,000 o/night IC U$3000 not a cent out of pocket ,depends who you get to operate. Recent visit to cardiologist $353 .00 Asked one question,waste time he was more interested in $. Don’t always accept who your GP recommends.

We have recently cancelled our private health cover after many many years. It did not cover cataracts and in the end not the laser treatment I needed but covered vascular so long as you selected having your veins stripped. NO THANK YOU. We have now decided along with many others that we will take our chances with the public system. We were paying a lot and getting nothing and now I am just paying for my remedial massages and dental cleans and still coming out ahead. We should have cancelled years ago when we first considered it as we would have saved thousands.

We have recently cancelled our private health cover after many many years. It did not cover cataracts and in the end not the laser treatment I needed but covered vascular so long as you selected having your veins stripped. NO THANK YOU. We have now decided along with many others that we will take our chances with the public system. We were paying a lot and getting nothing and now I am just paying for my remedial massages and dental cleans and still coming out ahead. We should have cancelled years ago when we first considered it as we would have saved thousands.
After paying extras for over 40 yrs I phoned Bupa And the young man I spoke to ,checked our claims and told me todrop extras as we had little claims ,told me if we spent$500 A yr we would still be way out in front. So dropped it there and then.

When taking out health insurance you check what cover you want before hand not just blindly pay and find you don’t have the cover you want. You go through the list to see if it is the one you want.. first.

Reactions: Jest
Amid a cost of living crisis, health insurers have seen fit to increase their premiums again. We’ve seen mortgage rates increase, grocery prices spike, petrol prices peak, and now our health insurance premiums will increase by an average of 2.90%*.

You could already be paying up to $167 more per year* for your health insurance, and that’s just for those of you who are NOT with one of the ‘Big Five’ health insurers—think BUPA, Medibank, HCF, nib and HBF.

If you are with one of the ‘Big Five’, you could be paying up to $194 per year* for the same cover you currently have.

View attachment 29032

What can you do?
There is some good news. Your health insurer* will let you know your policy’s exact increase before the increase takes effect—and if you can afford to prepay a full year’s premium, you can lock in 12 (or in some cases up to 18) months of cover at the current year's prices.

For example, nib allows you to prepay 13 months, and HCF and HBF allow 18 months*. As nib only increases its premium on 1 October, nib members can lock in their current premium until November 2024, potentially saving hundreds*. But we know this isn’t financially feasible for many of our members, so what are the other options?

Luckily, it’s not all doom and gloom. Over the past four years, we know over 44,000 Australians over 50* who have saved an average of $259.50* on their health insurance just by comparing and switching their cover with Compare Club*.

How to save
These Australians managed to save with the help of Compare Club*. Compare Club* helps Aussies find health insurance that is more affordable and better suited to their needs*.

It broke our heart when we were told this, but Aussies over 60 are often left to fend for themselves, unknowingly paying for health cover they will never be able to use. Compare Club* have seen Aussies in their 60s, 70s and even 80s paying for pregnancy and IVF cover, without even knowing it, and this should never be the case.

Compare Club can help* our dear members compare multiple health insurers, cover options and pricing all in one place. Their service can save you time, but the most significant benefit for most is how much money you can save off your yearly premiums*, especially when health insurance premiums aren’t the only thing increasing in cost!

Why Compare Club?*
You get the peace of mind that comes with working with trusted professionals with the years of experience* needed to navigate the complicated health insurance system and keep you from further confusion. For example, many of our members worry about not being with ‘one of the big five’ when there is no such thing as a ‘dodgy’ health fund in Australia, as the industry is heavily governed.

How do we know Compare Club* can be trusted? They’re one of our long-term partners* with whom we have personally compared health insurers! You can read about Maddie’s experience here*.

They also have an ‘Excellent’ rating on TrustPilot with 4.6 stars*. Not a bad shout, eh?

One customer said*: ‘When I contacted Compare Club, I had an idea of what I wanted but not how to do what was needed. Dale, who I dealt with, was more than helpful & he has given me the peace of mind I have been trying to find for so long. I would recommend Compare Club to everyone.’

Another added*: ‘No pushy salesperson and very thorough in the process and making sure I knew what I was getting and that I was happy with my choice.’

The team at Compare Club* will make sure you have the health cover you need while paying a price you’re comfortable with*.

So, if you’re sick of endlessly researching health insurers, are looking to save money or simply find cover better suited to your needs, Compare Club is ready to help*.

It’s worth comparing your health insurance* to see if you can save money. You won’t lose anything by comparing; you only stand to save*! After all, if you don’t like the quote you receive from Compare Club*, you don’t have to do anything.

*Please note, members, that this is a sponsored article. All content of ours that has an asterisk next to it means we may get a commission to write an article or post a deal. We do this to assist with the costs of running the SDC. Thank you!

Teachers Health Insurance is by far the best value for money AND
Amid a cost of living crisis, health insurers have seen fit to increase their premiums again. We’ve seen mortgage rates increase, grocery prices spike, petrol prices peak, and now our health insurance premiums will increase by an average of 2.90%*.

View attachment 29032

What can you do?

How to save

Why Compare Club?*

Teachers health insurance is by far the best value for money and you don’t need to be a teacher to belong
As I am a travel agent and never been a teacher I am very pleased with teachers health insurance

Good to know ,I have been with the same one for over 53 yrs and am angry they can up the cost by more than recommended. How do they get away with doing this?

We that is my wife and i don't have any health insurance , but on making enquiries about getting some we were just blanked. Most if not all so called insurers don't want to even discuss memberships online or on the phone. Once i tell them we are not with any insurer they just switch off, not that it worries us too much as we have managed to survive this far without it i am 84 my wife is 83 . We were members of an insurer back when our kids were growing up, at that time the cost was what i call reasonable ie, for full hospital and all services it was $65 per month then that insurer sold out and the cost went up to about $150 per month. By then our kids had grown up and so we did not need all the options we then cancelled it .

We that is my wife and i don't have any health insurance , but on making enquiries about getting some we were just blanked. Most if not all so called insurers don't want to even discuss memberships online or on the phone. Once i tell them we are not with any insurer they just switch off, not that it worries us too much as we have managed to survive this far without it i am 84 my wife is 83 . We were members of an insurer back when our kids were growing up, at that time the cost was what i call reasonable ie, for full hospital and all services it was $65 per month then that insurer sold out and the cost went up to about $150 per month. By then our kids had grown up and so we did not need all the options we then cancelled it .
When I joined in my teens the cost a month was$1-60 , and gradually went up to $25 month, after Fraser and Howard the price just blew out . Before those 2 came into office there was no gap and health fund even gave you money back, when my daughter went into Mater was only for one day i Received a chq in the mail and when I queried this was told that it was refund as she was only there 1/2 day. In those days it was $15 a day. You won’t see this happen these days. Buy the way it was MBF then.

Reactions: Ezzy and Jennie
APRA has recently stated that in 5 yrs time, there will only be a few private health insurers left. The other companies won't be sustainable.
That wouldn’t surprise me there are too many noses in. The trough .

Reactions: Penny4
People complain about the public health eyste., but I have nothing but praise for them.
My daughter lives with me as she has an intellectual disability, she is 46 . When she was 30 we discovered an ulcer on her tongue, which turned out to be oral cancer.
Within 2 days she was having major surgery where she lost 1/3 of her tongue, which was rebuilt from a piece from her arm. The cancer was also in her lymph nodes. She had 12 weeks of radiation and chemo.
For about 8 years she was in remission, then it returned and then again 18 months later. Her entire tongue has been removed, along with most of her teeth, oart of her jaw bone,. She now has to have all food blended and is quite hard to understand as her tongue (flap) has no muscle.
Through all this she has received the most amazing care from SCGH here in Perth, was operated on immediately each time and has and still does receive excellent after care. Not once have we ever had to pay a cent. If we had had health insurance she could not have received better care and we would have needed to sell our home long ago to cover the gap.

View attachment 29032

What can you do?

How to save

Why Compare Club?*

If it gets to the point where you can't bear the constant pain you can always 'pop yourself off'.

Reactions: Jest and Leenie
I was referred to a Specialist by my G.P. last week. Phoning for an appointment the first question was, "Do you have Private Health Cover?"

My final question was, "How much will this cost?" The reply, $200 & Medicare will refund $80." You can imagine my shock, only $80. Thankfully this should be more because we have been on the Safety Net for about 5 months now. Still a big shock for any Pensioner though.

Reactions: Leenie
I was referred to a Specialist by my G.P. last week. Phoning for an appointment the first question was, "Do you have Private Health Cover?"

My final question was, "How much will this cost?" The reply, $200 & Medicare will refund $80." You can imagine my shock, only $80. Thankfully this should be more because we have been on the Safety Net for about 5 months now. Still a big shock for any Pensioner though.
My visit to a specialist a couple months ago fee was$353 And Medicare paid $79 and few cents