Google update: Are emoji reactions coming to your emails?

Technology gurus worldwide were left scratching their heads when speculation began that involved the widely-used email platform Gmail.

Several tech websites, like The Verge and The Tape Drive, reported that Google is developing a new feature for their free email service that could change how we all send emails—with emoji reactions!

It’s no secret that messaging apps have become increasingly popular over the last few years, with people embracing the myriad of emojis available to express emotion online.

It looks like Google is ready to give us the convenience of expressing ourselves in emails, too. It was rumoured that Gmail users would soon be able to react to emails with an emoji—similar to emoji reaction implementations found on rival platforms like Outlook.

compressed-justin-morgan-D2TZ-ashGzc-unsplash.jpeg
Several tech sites reported that Gmail will soon have an emoji reaction feature. Credit: Justin Morgan/Unsplash

According to AssembleDebug, the latest Gmail Android Package Kit (APK) contains several lines of code that directly refer to emoji reactions.

An APK file is a package file used to distribute apps on Google's Android operating system.

The feature was first discovered a few weeks ago, and it looks like it’s rolling out soon, with the latest APK containing a reference line that says the feature is 'coming soon' and that 'you’re among the first Gmail users to get an emoji reaction'.

Gmail users should be able to use emoji reactions directly from the email screen or the three-dot overflow menu, although the latter option is currently disabled.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 082203.png
Microsoft Outlook implemented emoji reactions to their emails last year. Credit: Microsoft

There may also be some limitations, such as a limit of 20 emoji reactions for a single email, and at least some messages will have a limit of 50 unique reactions.

There are also restrictions on when emoji reactions can be used:
  • ‘You received this via Blind Carbon Copy (BCC), so you can't react with an emoji.’
  • You can’t react to encrypted messages.
  • ‘You can't react with an emoji to a large group.’
  • You can't react with an emoji more than so many unspecified times.

Gmail users on social media have mixed reactions about this rumoured update. Some expressed their disappointment, writing, ‘Emails are supposed to be serious.’

‘Microsoft already has this and I think it’s a very useless feature. I don’t keep checking my emails to see if there’s a new reaction to it. I just want to get rid of them,’ another person said.

A third user remarked, ‘Why? This is totally unnecessary.’

Meanwhile, others are excited about this news and shared how they will use the feature.

‘Finally, I can respond to a late-night email with this emoji 🤪🤪🤪’ a person commented.

‘That would be a game changer when I get a bill. [I will] be like 😱’ a different user wrote.

‘Can’t wait to 👍🏼 emails,’ said another.

When asked for confirmation, a Google spokesperson, Madison Cushman Veld, advised everyone to ‘stay tuned’ followed by: '😉,✋📻.'

We think it’s a subtle hint that emoji reactions are coming to Gmail soon! Keep your eyes peeled for the update, members!

Key Takeaways
  • Google is rumoured to be developing emoji reactions for Gmail to make the platform more like a messaging app.
  • The feature was first reported by The Tape Drive, and further evidence was found in the latest Gmail Android Package Kit (APK).
  • If released, emoji reactions should be accessible directly from Gmail’s main email screen or the three-dot overflow menu.
  • Limitations could include restrictions on emoji reactions for encrypted messages, large groups, or BCC'd recipients. There may also be a limit of 20 emoji reactions for a single email.

Are you looking forward to this new update, members? Let us know in the comments! Maybe add some emojis, too 😉

Sponsored
THE CREATORS OF GMAIL have no interest in assisting their customers hey guys. It's been nearly a year and a half of my Gmail not working because they resurrected an old account and placed it over my new account and in doing so locked it because I no longer have the old phone number it was linked too.

No reply emails unsupported by data-based chat bots, that don't contain our questions and no human phone support base their best business practice. The only answer offered it to go to the forum (scam site central) and explain to Phisher-people that a guy is having trouble accessing his account ha ha ha ha.

even snail mail letters to their head office to help please receive no response. I have discovered 4 other people with similar issues. I cannot vent to Gmail so as a very peeved ex customer of theirs I take this opportunity to express to as many people as possible about Gmail and in doing so state what an absolutely useless business this is.

Thankyou (aaaaah) that feels so much better.

Technology gurus worldwide were left scratching their heads when speculation began that involved the widely-used email platform Gmail.

Several tech websites, like The Verge and The Tape Drive, reported that Google is developing a new feature for their free email service that could change how we all send emails—with emoji reactions!

It’s no secret that messaging apps have become increasingly popular over the last few years, with people embracing the myriad of emojis available to express emotion online.

It looks like Google is ready to give us the convenience of expressing ourselves in emails, too. It was rumoured that Gmail users would soon be able to react to emails with an emoji—similar to emoji reaction implementations found on rival platforms like Outlook.

View attachment 29661
Several tech sites reported that Gmail will soon have an emoji reaction feature. Credit: Justin Morgan/Unsplash

According to AssembleDebug, the latest Gmail Android Package Kit (APK) contains several lines of code that directly refer to emoji reactions.

An APK file is a package file used to distribute apps on Google's Android operating system.

The feature was first discovered a few weeks ago, and it looks like it’s rolling out soon, with the latest APK containing a reference line that says the feature is 'coming soon' and that 'you’re among the first Gmail users to get an emoji reaction'.

Gmail users should be able to use emoji reactions directly from the email screen or the three-dot overflow menu, although the latter option is currently disabled.

View attachment 29660
Microsoft Outlook implemented emoji reactions to their emails last year. Credit: Microsoft

There may also be some limitations, such as a limit of 20 emoji reactions for a single email, and at least some messages will have a limit of 50 unique reactions.

• ‘You received this via Blind Carbon Copy (BCC), so you can't react with an emoji.’

Gmail users on social media have mixed reactions about this rumoured update. Some expressed their disappointment, writing, ‘Emails are supposed to be serious.’

‘Microsoft already has this and I think it’s a very useless feature. I don’t keep checking my emails to see if there’s a new reaction to it. I just want to get rid of them,’ another person said.

Meanwhile, others are excited about this news and shared how they will use the feature.

‘Finally, I can respond to a late-night email with this emoji 🤪🤪🤪’ a person commented.

‘That would be a game changer when I get a bill. [I will] be like 😱’ a different user wrote.

When asked for confirmation, a Google spokesperson, Madison Cushman Veld, advised everyone to ‘stay tuned’ followed by: '😉,✋📻.'

We think it’s a subtle hint that emoji reactions are coming to Gmail soon! Keep your eyes peeled for the update, members!

Key Takeaways

• Google is rumoured to be developing emoji reactions for Gmail to make the platform more like a messaging app.
  • The feature was first reported by The Tape Drive, and further evidence was found in the latest Gmail Android Package Kit (APK).
  • If released, emoji reactions should be accessible directly from Gmail’s main email screen or the three-dot overflow menu.
  • Limitations could include restrictions on emoji reactions for encrypted messages, large groups, or BCC'd recipients. There may also be a limit of 20 emoji reactions for a single email.

Are you looking forward to this new update, members? Let us know in the comments! Maybe add some emojis, too 😉
Means shit to me I get emails but don't send them so no big deal 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 29661

View attachment 29660

Key Takeaways

Love it. It’s up the individual if use or not so don’t come back so negative.

View attachment 29661

View attachment 29660

Key Takeaways

Well if they do it i WILL find a way to TURN IT OFF - I hate it when any maker of a programme adds (FORCES) in STUPID USELESS CRAP THAT IS UNWANTED!!!!