Goodbye, long waiting times! Centrelink services will now be faster with this major staffing boost

We know that enduring lengthy, time-consuming phone queues or spending hours seeking help at various institutions is nobody’s idea of a good time.

For the many Aussies who depend on services such as Centrelink and Medicare, having easy and dependable customer assistance is a must.

If you’ve been frustrated by extended wait times and difficulty getting the support you need with these services, there's good news—relief is on its way.

The federal government is actively hiring 3,000 recruits to strengthen Services Australia’s frontline in their efforts to implement recommendations from the Robodebt Royal Commission.

This staffing boost has the potential to improve customer service and reduce call wait times for the millions of Australians who depend on Centrelink and Medicare.

355157206_114859251672048_8146428729228011066_n.jpg
More staff at Medicare and Centrelink will cut call wait times. Image source: Facebook/@ServicesAustralia

According to Government Services Minister Bill Shorten, the additional staff will prevent the recurrence of schemes such as Robodebt.

The Robodebt scheme was initially touted as a cost-saving initiative, utilising automation and algorithms to detect welfare fraud and overpayments.

However, it ultimately served as a cautionary tale, highlighting the risks of replacing human judgment with Automated Decision-Making (ADM) systems.

‘The Liberals wickedly used the illegal Robodebt scheme to decimate contact channels so people could not connect with Services Australia and make complaints,’ Mr Shorten said.

‘The new staff will be critical to reducing call wait times, speeding up claim payments and giving Australians back some time in their busy lives.’

The debt recovery program falsely accused individuals of owing the government money, resulting in the collection of over $750 million from nearly 400,000 Australians.

The final report of the Robodebt Royal Commission in July included a recommendation for the government to ensure ‘easy and efficient engagement options of online, in person, and telephone communication that take into account the specific circumstances of the customer cohort’.

Video source: Facebook/7 News Australia

Before the $228 million recruitment initiative, Services Australia had a lower ratio of public servants per capita than at any other point, following a reduction of 3,800 staff during the previous government’s term.

The newly enlisted personnel will be assigned to facilities in major cities and regional areas, including locations such as Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour in New South Wales, Toowoomba and Maryborough in Queensland, and Ballarat and LaTrobe Valley in Victoria.

Over 800 individuals have already commenced their training.

With the Royal Commission report concluded, the hope is that the victims can begin to move forward.

Robodebt leaves behind valuable lessons, particularly in the context of the government’s consultation on Safe and Responsible AI use, emphasising the need for transparency and accountability in ADM systems, regardless of their complexity.
Key Takeaways

• The Australian government will recruit 3000 new staff members for Services Australia’s frontline to lessen call wait times and improve customer service for Centrelink and Medicare users.
  • The staffing boost is part of the government’s action plan to implement recommendations from the Robodebt Royal Commission, an initiative to prevent schemes like Robodebt from reoccurring.
  • The newly introduced staff will help expedite claim payments and address customer complaints faster, according to Government Services Minister Bill Shorten.
  • The recruits will be deployed in capital cities and regional centres across the country, with over 800 people already having begun their training.
Members, what do you think of this story? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Well after calling Centrelink Disability from 9.00 am to 5.05 pm we got through - yes sat there all day and redialing the number every 10 minutes to be told they saw the problem and yes we had done what we were supposed to have done but as they were about to go home they would fix it on Monday and that was 2 weeks ago and as far as we are aware the problem is still there and the son's rent assistance has been stopped so next week we are going to try again. Did try to do in office only to be told I had to do it on line or by phone and on line was not an option.
Shows the inadequacy of a major public support community service and the lack of genuine response fobbing off yet another waiting time. I trust you kept records of all the times you tried and the time of contact name of the person whom you spoke with etc...details might get a better response if your situation had somewhere to send it to..

I always thought there was method to the obvious madness of making in particular recipients with applications for credits in Centrelink to wait so that they know who is really in charge. Infact I bet a very small percentage of Centrelink customers know where the money comes from. The main vault of which is the Reserve Bank of Australia, and heavens, is it an ancient building in the fashionable Martin Place in Sydney. Yes, it is somewhat cruel to show the building before it's renovation - but .... gotta luv it!!

Attachments

• Reserve Bank Martin Place.jpg
    Reserve Bank Martin Place.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 0
At least Labor are trying to fix the problems, unlike SCUMO and his Liberal Mates, YES INCLUDING Dutton !, who worked on the GUILTY until PROVEN Innocent method of Government !!!
SCUMO should have gone to Jail for perpetuating ROBODEBT !!!

Oh Frank darling, you are spot on. Actually I just view Dutton's knowledge on anything compared to the Banana that we voted in and think NO, THE SYSTEM IS ALL WRONGL Knowledge and conveying it admirably is something that I look for in our leaders. Bob Hawke, Gough Whitlam & Malcolm Turnbull & Peter Dutton of which I am very glad to hear that he will be running for Prime Minister. Isn't he. What a talent.

Oh, the Honourable Dutton was a former drug cop. That makes him more attractive to me when he decides to pull out a huge bag of cocaine. Always use with peers. And I promise I won't tell. Luv ya work baby. Just bring home the goods!! Mellifulous Mel X

Well I will believe it when I see it. Would take more than are in training to make any difference to wait times as far as I can see. I have a relative in Centrelink and they are always recruiting so I don’t think this is a magic bullet.
Well like alot of Govt services - they have been outsourced to private enterprise - and why not? Good money for the best people. But heavens - our Federal & State Govts offer a multitude of services, advocacy, for every individual in Australia. We have a social system to be envied - and with the internet - live can be so easy.

Thank heavens the extra staff have been employed. Just hope governments in the future continue with it. People suicided because of it, and the staff who had to enforce it hated it & some had depression over it then resigned. b****y Coalition.
Well I can definitely advise that the Centrelink office was empty when I visited as most enquiries are done by phone or on the website. And it's not a very nice dealing with it's customers everyday for 8 hours.

WHERE DO YOU APPLY FOR A JOB AS YOU DO NOT NEED A JOB IT WAS BETTER WHEN THEY HAD A SEPERATE DEVISION FOR SENIORS
Yes...and you sat at a private desk ...NOT at the front counter in a queue exposing all your personal information in a rush!

OO! Look! Is that a flock of pigs I just saw flitting by my window?

We know that enduring lengthy, time-consuming phone queues or spending hours seeking help at various institutions is nobody’s idea of a good time.

For the many Aussies who depend on services such as Centrelink and Medicare, having easy and dependable customer assistance is a must.

If you’ve been frustrated by extended wait times and difficulty getting the support you need with these services, there's good news—relief is on its way.

The federal government is actively hiring 3,000 recruits to strengthen Services Australia’s frontline in their efforts to implement recommendations from the Robodebt Royal Commission.

This staffing boost has the potential to improve customer service and reduce call wait times for the millions of Australians who depend on Centrelink and Medicare.

View attachment 33954
More staff at Medicare and Centrelink will cut call wait times. Image source: Facebook/@ServicesAustralia

According to Government Services Minister Bill Shorten, the additional staff will prevent the recurrence of schemes such as Robodebt.

The Robodebt scheme was initially touted as a cost-saving initiative, utilising automation and algorithms to detect welfare fraud and overpayments.

However, it ultimately served as a cautionary tale, highlighting the risks of replacing human judgment with Automated Decision-Making (ADM) systems.

‘The Liberals wickedly used the illegal Robodebt scheme to decimate contact channels so people could not connect with Services Australia and make complaints,’ Mr Shorten said.

‘The new staff will be critical to reducing call wait times, speeding up claim payments and giving Australians back some time in their busy lives.’

The debt recovery program falsely accused individuals of owing the government money, resulting in the collection of over $750 million from nearly 400,000 Australians.

The final report of the Robodebt Royal Commission in July included a recommendation for the government to ensure ‘easy and efficient engagement options of online, in person, and telephone communication that take into account the specific circumstances of the customer cohort’.

Before the $228 million recruitment initiative, Services Australia had a lower ratio of public servants per capita than at any other point, following a reduction of 3,800 staff during the previous government’s term.

The newly enlisted personnel will be assigned to facilities in major cities and regional areas, including locations such as Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour in New South Wales, Toowoomba and Maryborough in Queensland, and Ballarat and LaTrobe Valley in Victoria.

With the Royal Commission report concluded, the hope is that the victims can begin to move forward.

Robodebt leaves behind valuable lessons, particularly in the context of the government’s consultation on Safe and Responsible AI use, emphasising the need for transparency and accountability in ADM systems, regardless of their complexity.
Key Takeaways

• The Australian government will recruit 3000 new staff members for Services Australia’s frontline to lessen call wait times and improve customer service for Centrelink and Medicare users.
  • The staffing boost is part of the government’s action plan to implement recommendations from the Robodebt Royal Commission, an initiative to prevent schemes like Robodebt from reoccurring.
  • The newly introduced staff will help expedite claim payments and address customer complaints faster, according to Government Services Minister Bill Shorten.
  • The recruits will be deployed in capital cities and regional centres across the country, with over 800 people already having begun their training.
Members, what do you think of this story? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

How things have changed. My 1st job was as a telephonist at Social Security.
Yep just me on the old switchboard for a major district , hundreds of calls a day.
So many more people needing services but not enough staff to answer calls. I hope they consider
hiring some long term unemployed , single parents or pensioners who want to still work as they would be far more knowledgeable than some off the current staff .

View attachment 33954

Key Takeaways

In regards to the above
Yes it is good idea but here is a better one,,how about we all get the full pension like we were promised ,,thereby reducing many thousands of Centrelink staff that would not be necessary to be there attempting to reduce our pension at every corner...The money saved from this reduction in staff would be more than enough to pay us all the correct full pensions...other countries have this automatic full pension... but we can't see that this is the cheapest option ...... why NOT here??
I have worked since I was sixteen years of age till retirement at aged sixty eight only to get a part pension as a reward for a life time of contributions to the workforce . There was no super scheme for many years after I started work..We got married late in life and we are getting punished because my wife has a low paid part- time position and this is considered by Centrelink as our combined income..
I am willing to discuss this with anyone who is clever and forward thinking enough ..Cheers Lance Pratt

Reactions: samtumino

View attachment 33954

Key Takeaways

View attachment 33954

Key Takeaways

Hallelujah!!!!

I wonder how long it will actually take.

I applied for DSP back in February and finally got a result in September and having a phone interview 4 weeks earlier...it was declined and the lovely lady who called me explained that they don't approve DSP for indigestion, I asked her to explain and that is what the interviewer had put down.

I went on to explain how I had surgery that was negligent and through that I lost my whole umbilicus plus a large ammount of abdominal wall which is now held together through stitches. I can't bend or lift due to cramping and pain.

I have also been suffering severe depression and anxiety for over two years because of this. I was told they do approve it for depression but prior to 1st April it required a psychiatrist report I had psychologist reports after the 1st April they accepted the psychologist reports, so my question was why did it take 6 months to tell me this, I could have put in a new claim on the 1st April

The lady who called in September told me she was asking for a review because my stomach complaint definitely isn't just indigestion and doesn't know why the lady did that( mind you the first lady was working from home and kept trying to calm her dog)
She also told me to submit a new claim as from the 1st April they accept psychologist reports. She told me to do this incase the review comes back still not approved
Let’s hope there’ll be some competent employees from the new recruits and not just more people who don’t know what they’re doing, or don’t care.

Reactions: Fugly

View attachment 33954

Key Takeaways

Good News Finally. Unfortunately whilst we may get some relief,from wait times being reduced , or is it a drop in the bucket ?
When you consider the overall
situation we are faced with from all the other Government Agencies.

However in the scheme of things, "Beggars can't be choosy" So we will accept the crumbs from the Government table and be "grateful," in whatever this increase of Staff ends up being in the the reality of life for those of us who depend on it's mercies.

View attachment 33954

Key Takeaways

The idea is good, but I'm not convinced that the new recruits will have enough knowledge to be able to handle the complexities of some callers. Centrelink has never been one to make things easy. I hope I never need to ring them because the robodebt incident was distressing enough.

View attachment 33954

Key Takeaways

Excellent news as I am waiting on a claim being processed since Sept now, hopefully not much longer to wait🙏

Is this the new GRANDDAD JOKE OF THE DAY?
When they eventually employ the 3000 extra stuff, I am sure that their job will be :
"Devise new and better ways to slow down the system even more"
Getting help fast (or at all) from Centrelink?
I DOUBT IT VERY MUCH!!! it's NOT in their DNA

Last edited:

View attachment 33954

Key Takeaways

I'm still waiting for my Health card for which I applied on the 18thOct and now it will expire tomorrow, I have followed the right channels and did everything online and there should be no problem as everything is linked . I need this for my medication and my electricity for low income earner, Do I have to call my MP.

This sounds good but we will wait and see. My husband applied for a carers allowance for me months ago and when we put it in we were told we would have a result by October. We have checked numerous times and it’s still in the hold basket. I could be dead by the time we get a result. We had applied a couple of times earlier in the year and were denied so hope this time it might be approved. I must admit when we have had to have anything else done through Centrelink we have never had a problem.