Good news for pension recipients! Millions of Australians could see a cash boost to help with the cost of living

We all know how tough it is to make ends meet these days. The cost of living seems to be increasing every day, with what feels like little being done to help vulnerable Aussies cope with their new reality.

But there could soon be some relief for those who are doing it tough, with the announcement that welfare payments will be increased for millions of Australians.

With the advocacy for a rise in welfare payments being a major push in recent weeks, Independent Senator David Pocock announced on Sunday that he has come to an agreement with the Labor government to support their industrial relations bill.

However, the support is conditional – Pocock said that he agreed to back the legislation very recently if 'numerous amendments' will be made to the legislation to address the concerns of a wide range of groups.

pension.jpg

Centrelink recipients could expect a boost in their payments soon as a new reviewing body will monitor the budget. Credit: Pexels.

The senator remarked: 'This is now a substantially different bill to the one introduced in the House of Representatives a month ago. It is better for business, better for workers and makes sure the most vulnerable in our community are no longer left behind.'

'I have worked with the government to push them as far as they would go, and then a step further to ensure they addressed key concerns raised with me.'

'This legislation introduces significant reforms to the Australian industrial relations system that will benefit women and low-paid workers in particular.'

Mr Pocock described the bill as a 'game changer' for people living below the poverty line in Australia, saying that the government will also receive expert advice from an independent body.

He also added that the expert body will make their recommendations — which will detail the improvements that need to be done to ensure that the most vulnerable in our community are no longer left behind — available to the public at least two weeks before the budget.

However, it is not expected that the increase will be as significant as the last one, which was announced in September, in line with price indexation, and increased the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension and Carer Payments by $38.90 per fortnight for singles (from $936.80 to $975.70) and $58.80 per fortnight for couples (from $1,412.40 to $1,471.20).

The senator said that in addition to reforming the labour system and providing women and low-paid workers with benefits, the legislation will also better support small businesses and better protect low-paid workers who are reliant on government assistance.

'Support payments are inadequate and not keeping pace with inflation, meaning those who need support are living in deepening levels of poverty,' he added.

'A recent report showed one in six children are living in poverty.'

pykYJL6Z_400x400.jpg

Senator David Pocock revealed that he will be supporting the Labor government’s industrial relations bill if ‘numerous amendments’ will be made to it to cater to different demographics. Credit: Twitter/@DavidPocock.

Key Takeaways
Centrelink payments could soon increase for millions of Australians after an agreement was made between Senator David Pocock and the Labor government.
The increase in payments will be depending on the advice from an independent review body and is not expected to be as big as the last increase.
The increase in payments will be welcomed by many Australians who are struggling to make ends meet.

Aside from the pension payments, JobSeeker, Parenting Payment, ABSTUDY, and Rent Assistance payments will also receive boosts.

JobSeeker for singles without children saw their payments go up by $25.70 per fortnight to $677.20, while Parenting Payment Single rose by $35.20 to $927.40. The rate for partnered JobSeeker Payment and Parenting Payment recipients increased by $23.40 to $616.60.

What are your thoughts, members? Should the government make increases in welfare payments every time the Consumer Price Index (CPI) goes up? Share your insights with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
We all know how tough it is to make ends meet these days. The cost of living seems to be increasing every day, with what feels like little being done to help vulnerable Aussies cope with their new reality.

But there could soon be some relief for those who are doing it tough, with the announcement that welfare payments will be increased for millions of Australians.

With the advocacy for a rise in welfare payments being a major push in recent weeks, Independent Senator David Pocock announced on Sunday that he has come to an agreement with the Labor government to support their industrial relations bill.

However, the support is conditional – Pocock said that he agreed to back the legislation very recently if 'numerous amendments' will be made to the legislation to address the concerns of a wide range of groups.

pension.jpg

Centrelink recipients could expect a boost in their payments soon as a new reviewing body will monitor the budget. Credit: Pexels.

The senator remarked: 'This is now a substantially different bill to the one introduced in the House of Representatives a month ago. It is better for business, better for workers and makes sure the most vulnerable in our community are no longer left behind.'

'I have worked with the government to push them as far as they would go, and then a step further to ensure they addressed key concerns raised with me.'

'This legislation introduces significant reforms to the Australian industrial relations system that will benefit women and low-paid workers in particular.'

Mr Pocock described the bill as a 'game changer' for people living below the poverty line in Australia, saying that the government will also receive expert advice from an independent body.

He also added that the expert body will make their recommendations — which will detail the improvements that need to be done to ensure that the most vulnerable in our community are no longer left behind — available to the public at least two weeks before the budget.

However, it is not expected that the increase will be as significant as the last one, which was announced in September, in line with price indexation, and increased the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension and Carer Payments by $38.90 per fortnight for singles (from $936.80 to $975.70) and $58.80 per fortnight for couples (from $1,412.40 to $1,471.20).

The senator said that in addition to reforming the labour system and providing women and low-paid workers with benefits, the legislation will also better support small businesses and better protect low-paid workers who are reliant on government assistance.

'Support payments are inadequate and not keeping pace with inflation, meaning those who need support are living in deepening levels of poverty,' he added.

pykYJL6Z_400x400.jpg

Senator David Pocock revealed that he will be supporting the Labor government’s industrial relations bill if ‘numerous amendments’ will be made to it to cater to different demographics. Credit: Twitter/@DavidPocock.

Key Takeaways
Centrelink payments could soon increase for millions of Australians after an agreement was made between Senator David Pocock and the Labor government.
The increase in payments will be depending on the advice from an independent review body and is not expected to be as big as the last increase.
The increase in payments will be welcomed by many Australians who are struggling to make ends meet.

Aside from the pension payments, JobSeeker, Parenting Payment, ABSTUDY, and Rent Assistance payments will also receive boosts.

JobSeeker for singles without children saw their payments go up by $25.70 per fortnight to $677.20, while Parenting Payment Single rose by $35.20 to $927.40. The rate for partnered JobSeeker Payment and Parenting Payment recipients increased by $23.40 to $616.60.

What are your thoughts, members? Should the government make increases in welfare payments every time the Consumer Price Index (CPI) goes up? Share your insights with us in the comments below!
It’s good to hear pensions may be increasing. But for people in social housing because their rent is a percentage of their income, this also increases. So it’s a loss for them anyways.

I'm very pleased to hear that the Pension for those who have worked are getting a rise, I still believe those of us that have worked should just get the minimum wage no single or married. BUT those who have never lifted a finger should get pretty much vouchers to get stuff, we really should not have anyone unemployed at the moment because business's are screaming for workers, and there coming from overseas, this is disgusting. Job seeker is not suppose to be enough to live on, where is the incentive to GET A JOB if you can get your tattoo's, smoke, drink, and buy take away. I'm sooooooo sick of listening to these people bitch about not having enough to get by on, boo hoo GET A JOB.

pension.jpg

pykYJL6Z_400x400.jpg

Key Takeaways

Yes they should. It should all go up together

I agree pensioners who worked their whole lives many fro 15 years old paid taxes an contributed to society should be able live in dignity they have earned it and are deserving of a pension and super wasn’t available for the average worker back then it was only government type jobs who got this in fact it was 1992 before it was offered to us at 55 years old and we saved some but not much certainly not enough to support our retirement. Unemployment should be at it’s lowest and these people in most cases should be pushed into working for their keep the government needs to tighten up on lazy people and be more understanding of those with chronic conditions and disabilities. There are a lot of people that choose not to work so the benefits should be vouchers for living expenses such as rent food petrol furniture not smokes drink gambling etc

An increase is needed for all, living on Newstart for over 55yrs old who do the required volunteer work but not able to do paid work because of medical reasons and unable to get disability pension due to the harsh requirements needed by centrelink. Cost of living is rising all the time including food, electricity, fuel, medical appointments where bulk billing is not available, rents increasing, etc but not getting reasonable and often increases in centrelink payments.

I'm very pleased to hear that the Pension for those who have worked are getting a rise, I still believe those of us that have worked should just get the minimum wage no single or married. BUT those who have never lifted a finger should get pretty much vouchers to get stuff, we really should not have anyone unemployed at the moment because business's are screaming for workers, and there coming from overseas, this is disgusting. Job seeker is not suppose to be enough to live on, where is the incentive to GET A JOB if you can get your tattoo's, smoke, drink, and buy take away. I'm sooooooo sick of listening to these people bitch about not having enough to get by on, boo hoo GET A JOB.
I used to think like you. I worked all my life and used to think why should the taxes I pay go to paying for the dole.

Then I became very ill through a surgeons negligence and I'm so sick both mentally and physically that I can't work.

I'm 61 and now on jobseeker for the first time in my life . I give in a medical certificate every 12 weeks .

What I have now realised is people wouldn't want to be on the dole, it's no where near enough to live on.

I own my house and I'm struggling on $615 a fortnight. If I could work I would. I believe no one would want to stay on the dole .

We can be very judgemental like I was , until we have actually been in this situation

pension.jpg

pykYJL6Z_400x400.jpg

Key Takeaways

I don't get excited about rises in my age pension as department of housing take for rent increases we have 5 rent increases since June I don't even have enough left to buy food for fortnight.
My Xmas Will be another one eating a sandwich and coffee . These past 3 years.
I'm so sick of struggling in my old age.
I've worked hard all my Life and there was no super back then.
Just trying to survive from day to day now is depressing and being treated like your on the end of your life cycle anyway no one cares.

When I was younger I couldn't understand why suicide was so prevalent around Xmas.
Now I know why

You cannot label all unemployed as bludgers. Many have disabilities, psychiatic problems, cancer (if not terminal), etc. Specialists and hospitals are under duress due to a backlog caused by COVID. Some people have "long covid". Some conditions are not curable eg. chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis (they can only be managed). The people you speak of - who get tattoo's, smoke, drink and buy take away, - do they live with their parents? Unemployed renters cannot afford those things. My friend in Melb. has a neighbour (an alcoholic), who just landed a job in a factory, he is over the moon, as he desperately wanted
a job. He loves a routine and is a renter. My friend often gave him food and loans to get by while he was
unemployed and always encouraged him about finding a job.

pension.jpg

pykYJL6Z_400x400.jpg

Key Takeaways

YES

pension.jpg

pykYJL6Z_400x400.jpg

Key Takeaways

Yes!!! When the CPI goes up so does the cost of living. It's only fair that welfare and pension payments should go up accordingly.

pension.jpg

pykYJL6Z_400x400.jpg

Key Takeaways

It is only fair and proper that Pensions are increased in line with the CPI but the bigger issue is allowing pensioners to work longer hours WITHOUT impacting their pensions. More tax would be paid; more employment would be taken up and labour scarcity would be a thing of the past

It’s good to hear pensions may be increasing. But for people in social housing because their rent is a percentage of their income, this also increases. So it’s a loss for them anyways.
How can it be a loss? If for example the increase is $30 per fortnight and they lose 25% for rent, then they will still have an increase in their total income.

we often hear govt stats claiming the average Australian weekly wage is $1,769.80 Gross, (source: https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/l...rage-weekly-earnings-australia/latest-release) as at May 2022.

So why are aged and disabled pensioners who rent only getting around $589.05?
Source: My own Centrelink latest payment stats with full rent assistance

The recent increase to my pension was immediately negated by a $30 per ftn rent rise. So I got absolutely no increase or benefit, not to mention fuel etc