Gone by year’s end? Coles shopper shares self-service checkout warning, retail giant responds

A recent visit to a Sydney Coles has one shopper sounding the alarm about the relentless push towards a cashless society.

Tom Budin, a DJ and music producer, was shocked to discover that seven out of nine self-service checkouts at his local store were now marked as 'card only', accepting no cash payments.

Tom shared a video on social media showing the card-only checkouts and zooming in on just two checkouts in the far corner that still accepted cash.

'Only two machines left that accept cash and, mark my words, these machines, in my opinion, will be gone by the end of the year,' he said.

'What a world we live in, ladies and gentlemen.'

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 12.56.05 PM.png
Many shoppers have already embraced the cashless move, but others are against completely phasing out cash. Credit: TikTok/tombusinmusic.

This change at Coles has sparked heated debate on social media, with many commenters seeing no issue moving to a cashless model while others vowed to keep using cash.

But cash advocates have warned this is a dangerous path towards excluding those who rely on cash and eroding personal privacy.

'Cashless is great until there's a power outage or our phone dies,' one concerned shopper wrote. Another argued, 'Legally can't say no to cash. It remains a legal tender.'

It is reported that Coles simply said ‘there’s no truth’ to Tom’s claims in his video.

The retail giant has also yet to announce the complete removal of cash self-service options.

Cash advocates argue that Coles has made a 'big mistake' by favouring card payments over cash in their stores. That is why they've launched a petition and called on the federal government to take steps to preserve the use of cash.

Jason Bryce, the coordinator of the Cash Welcome campaign, highlighted that in many Coles stores, customers paying with cash often face longer wait times than those using cards.

'Coles is literally pushing us cashless against our will,' he said.

'Coles can't guarantee their EFTPOS system is reliable 24/7/365. As soon as an outage hits, bedlam ensues, and it's entirely of their own making.'

The petition, which aims to protect the right to use cash for purchasing food, groceries, and other necessities, has garnered over 130,000 signatures as of writing.

Cash Welcome also pointed out that other countries like the UK, France, and the USA are actively safeguarding the use of cash.

Advocates warned that phasing out cash could lead to increased profits for banks, as they receive a portion of every card transaction, and it could also allow banks and other entities to monitor individuals' spending history and locations.

1699196347481.png

This isn't the first time Coles customers have been frustrated by the supermarket's alleged preference for cashless transactions. The recent launch of a new store in Brisbane has also caused controversy.

The new store also features self-service checkout machines that have left many customers flabbergasted. Why, you might ask? Well, unlike the Sydney Coles Tom went to, they ALL strictly say 'card only'.

A video showcasing these cashless machines quickly found its way to social media, fanning the flames of debate about the rapid movement towards a cashless society.

Plenty of SDC members also have much to say about the subject matter.

Member @codac said, 'A cashless society has the potential for complete disaster. The government will have control of all your money.'

Member @ElCee agreed and added, 'It would be a disaster. [It might] work in major cities, but Australia is vast. Many small communities rely on cash. Not everywhere has reliable internet.'

Member @Pammyt joined the conversation and commented, 'I prefer cashless, however whilst cash is still legal tender—cash should still be an option at all supermarkets. Many elderly people in particular and some people who are just more comfortable with cash should be able to continue to use cash.'

Key Takeaways

• A shopper has raised concerns about the potential for Coles to become a cashless supermarket after noticing a majority of self-service checkouts only accepted cards.
  • The shopper's video sparked a divided response among viewers, with some seeing no issue in moving towards a cashless society and others arguing the importance of maintaining cash options.
  • The supermarket has not made any plans to remove cash self-service options.
  • A campaign has been launched, gaining over 130,000 signatures, calling for the right to continue to buy food with cash and stressing the importance of protecting the use of cash in Australia.

Members, have you come across these 'card-only' self-checkouts in supermarkets lately? We're curious about your experiences with them. Are you all in for cashless transactions, or do you prefer paying with cash? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Yeah, I admit it. I am a bit of a trekkie ;)
Have posted this before and some may have missed it. I discovered that if you use a debit card with tap and go, you'll find you will get charged extra. But if you use it sliding the card in the slot and nominating which account it comes out of, there is mostly no charge. And that is for using the same card. Go figure. Aldi will charge a fee for a tap and go where as sliding it in the slot, picking your account, and typing in your pin, for the payment to come out of, no charge. Just something to be aware of. Give it a go. You might be surprised. You have nothing to lose but try. ;)

Yeah, I admit it. I am a bit of a trekkie ;)
Have posted this before and some may have missed it. I discovered that if you use a debit card with tap and go, you'll find you will get charged extra. But if you use it sliding the card in the slot and nominating which account it comes out of, there is mostly no charge. And that is for using the same card. Go figure. Aldi will charge a fee for a tap and go where as sliding it in the slot, picking your account, and typing in your pin, for the payment to come out of, no charge. Just something to be aware of. Give it a go. You might be surprised. You have nothing to lose but try. ;)
Thank you 👍🏼I’ll give it a go as I shop in Aldi regularly 😊

Reactions: IAN3005
At our local shopping center, some times the wife and I might have some Chinese for lunch. The shop charges a % for the tap and go, or 30cents for a swipe and pin. With them, just have to calculate the charge fee. Most others, not that I have noticed, are doing a swipe and pin charge.

All we have to do is go to the shops, fill a trolley with stuff, go to the checkout and walk out the door. if anyone asks why, you say SORRY I HAVE CASH. It's worth a special trip just to do this.
They will get the hint eventually.
Do this on pension day so they'll have heaps of groceries to return to the shelves. Then shop at another store.

A recent visit to a Sydney Coles has one shopper sounding the alarm about the relentless push towards a cashless society.

Tom Budin, a DJ and music producer, was shocked to discover that seven out of nine self-service checkouts at his local store were now marked as 'card only', accepting no cash payments.

Tom shared a video on social media showing the card-only checkouts and zooming in on just two checkouts in the far corner that still accepted cash.

'Only two machines left that accept cash and, mark my words, these machines, in my opinion, will be gone by the end of the year,' he said.

View attachment 33717
Many shoppers have already embraced the cashless move, but others are against completely phasing out cash. Credit: TikTok/tombusinmusic.

This change at Coles has sparked heated debate on social media, with many commenters seeing no issue moving to a cashless model while others vowed to keep using cash.

But cash advocates have warned this is a dangerous path towards excluding those who rely on cash and eroding personal privacy.

'Cashless is great until there's a power outage or our phone dies,' one concerned shopper wrote. Another argued, 'Legally can't say no to cash. It remains a legal tender.'

It is reported that Coles simply said ‘there’s no truth’ to Tom’s claims in his video.

The retail giant has also yet to announce the complete removal of cash self-service options.

Cash advocates argue that Coles has made a 'big mistake' by favouring card payments over cash in their stores. That is why they've launched a petition and called on the federal government to take steps to preserve the use of cash.

Jason Bryce, the coordinator of the Cash Welcome campaign, highlighted that in many Coles stores, customers paying with cash often face longer wait times than those using cards.

'Coles can't guarantee their EFTPOS system is reliable 24/7/365. As soon as an outage hits, bedlam ensues, and it's entirely of their own making.'

The petition, which aims to protect the right to use cash for purchasing food, groceries, and other necessities, has garnered over 130,000 signatures as of writing.

Cash Welcome also pointed out that other countries like the UK, France, and the USA are actively safeguarding the use of cash.

Advocates warned that phasing out cash could lead to increased profits for banks, as they receive a portion of every card transaction, and it could also allow banks and other entities to monitor individuals' spending history and locations.

This isn't the first time Coles customers have been frustrated by the supermarket's alleged preference for cashless transactions. The recent launch of a new store in Brisbane has also caused controversy.

The new store also features self-service checkout machines that have left many customers flabbergasted. Why, you might ask? Well, unlike the Sydney Coles Tom went to, they ALL strictly say 'card only'.

A video showcasing these cashless machines quickly found its way to social media, fanning the flames of debate about the rapid movement towards a cashless society.

Member @codac said, 'A cashless society has the potential for complete disaster. The government will have control of all your money.'

Member @ElCee agreed and added, 'It would be a disaster. [It might] work in major cities, but Australia is vast. Many small communities rely on cash. Not everywhere has reliable internet.'

Member @Pammyt joined the conversation and commented, 'I prefer cashless, however whilst cash is still legal tender—cash should still be an option at all supermarkets. Many elderly people in particular and some people who are just more comfortable with cash should be able to continue to use cash.'

Key Takeaways

• A shopper has raised concerns about the potential for Coles to become a cashless supermarket after noticing a majority of self-service checkouts only accepted cards.
  • The shopper's video sparked a divided response among viewers, with some seeing no issue in moving towards a cashless society and others arguing the importance of maintaining cash options.
  • A campaign has been launched, gaining over 130,000 signatures, calling for the right to continue to buy food with cash and stressing the importance of protecting the use of cash in Australia.

Members, have you come across these 'card-only' self-checkouts in supermarkets lately? We're curious about your experiences with them. Are you all in for cashless transactions, or do you prefer paying with cash? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
I don't own a card transaction machine at home. I recently sold a good washing machine which I had advertised on Marketplace and of course I was paid cash. Also, most people love garage sales - who has got a card machine at home - no-one!

View attachment 33717

Key Takeaways

KFC at Morisset NSW has been a card only store for a while now. Any others you know of?

At our local shopping center, some times the wife and I might have some Chinese for lunch. The shop charges a % for the tap and go, or 30cents for a swipe and pin. With them, just have to calculate the charge fee. Most others, not that I have noticed, are doing a swipe and pin charge.
I ask first - charge anything for the use of a card they don't get my business .

You need to pick Savings or Debit card. If you pick Credit you will still get charged.
I think,but I don't really know, that there is probably a computer chip in the machine that recognises if you are using your own funds,not the banks.
Don't quote me on that I could be entirely wrong, but my friend was still charged when she swiped her credit card.

if I encounter a extra long queue at checkout ,I wait a reasonable time and then walk away and shop elsewhere,i just leave the trolly and go, it wouldn't hurt to have a junior permanently manning a register... or two.......its called service, a supervisor should be on the lookout for congestion at the registers and act accordingly
Didn't Coles trumpet, a while ago, that they would always have checkouts available?

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
You need to pick Savings or Debit card. If you pick Credit you will still get charged.
I think,but I don't really know, that there is probably a computer chip in the machine that recognises if you are using your own funds,not the banks.
Don't quote me on that I could be entirely wrong, but my friend was still charged when she swiped her credit card.
Swiping cost money every time....

Granted Coles & Woollies aren't in the top 'trusted retailer' group, but if they say it ain't the case then why give so much attention to something that has no evidence of truth. Just someone saying so, doesn't make it any more truthful.

Last edited:
I got a shock last year when I found KFC at Morisset NSW to be card only with a tiny little sign at the counter, then found out it has been for quite a while.

I got a shock last year when I found KFC at Morisset NSW to be card only with a tiny little sign at the counter, then found out it has been for quite a while.
most likely a hangover from when card was the only payment option during covid era.

All we have to do is go to the shops, fill a trolley with stuff, go to the checkout and walk out the door. if anyone asks why, you say SORRY I HAVE CASH. It's worth a special trip just to do this.
They will get the hint eventually.
Do this on pension day so they'll have heaps of groceries to return to the shelves. Then shop at another store.
Did that years when you could smoke in stores, some store jobsworth told that she objected to me smoking while I was doing my monthly shopping. And I told her that I objected to them selling cigarettes and walked out.