Golden Globe-winning actress Barbara Rush passes away at 97

The entertainment world has lost one of its brightest stars with the passing of Barbara Rush, a Golden Globe-winning actress whose career graced the silver screen and television with unforgettable performances.

At 97, Rush's departure on a peaceful Sunday evening, 31 March (1 April, Monday in Australia) marks the end of another career that spanned the glamorous days of Hollywood's Golden Age.

Barbara Rush's daughter, Claudia Cowan, confirmed the sad news, stating, 'My wonderful mother passed away peacefully at 5:28 this evening. I was with her this morning and knew she was waiting for me to return home safely to transition.’

‘It's fitting she chose to leave on Easter as it was one of her favourite holidays, and now, of course, Easter will have a deeper significance for me and my family.’

image.jpg
Golden Globe-winning actress Barbara Rush passed away at 97. Credit: Mill Valley Film Festival / Shutterstock

Rush's career began with a stroke of fate at the Pasadena Playhouse, where a talent scout recognised her potential, and soon after, she was signed to Paramount Pictures in 1950.

Her cinematic debut came with The Goldbergs, but the 1953 science fiction horror film It Came From Outer Space catapulted her to stardom, earning her a Golden Globe for the most promising female newcomer.

Rush shared the screen with Hollywood royalty throughout her career, such as Paul Newman, Dean Martin, and Frank Sinatra, showcasing her versatility and charm.

Her talents weren't confined to the big screen; she also shone on stage and television, most notably in the popular drama series Peyton Place.

Her last regular television role was as Ruth Camden on the beloved series 7th Heaven, and her final bow in the film was the 2017 short film Bleeding Hearts: The Arteries of Glenda Bryant.

In retirement, Rush enjoyed her years surrounded by family, who cherished her not only as a star but as a luminous presence in their lives.

On her 97th birthday in January, Cowan shared a heartfelt tribute: 'She is golden, she is a diamond, she glows like the moon and shines like the sun.’

‘Age does not diminish the light in her eyes, the sweetness of her heart, or the wisdom in her soul.'

You can watch one of Rush’s iconic scenes from It Came From Outer Space below:

Credit: Movieclips / YouTube

Key Takeaways

• Barbara Rush, a Golden Globe-winning actress known for her roles in It Came from Outer Space and Peyton Place, has died at the age of 97.
  • Rush's death was confirmed by her daughter Claudia Cowan, who mentioned that she passed away peacefully and that Easter would now hold a deeper significance for the family.
  • Having a career spanned seven decades, Rush was a prominent figure during Hollywood's Golden Age and worked with stars like Paul Newman, Dean Martin, and Frank Sinatra.
  • The actress had retired from acting and spent her final years surrounded by her family, leaving a legacy of numerous stage plays, television series, and film performances.
Barbara Rush's legacy is one of grace, talent, and a luminous spirit that transcended the roles she played.

Her journey to Hollywood stardom is a testament to the enduring allure of classic cinema and the impact one actress can have on generations of fans and fellow actors.

May she rest in peace.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I’m surprised sdc hasn’t said anything about a wonderful man les twenty man who was a legendary youth worker for over 30 years in victoria who passed away. And he’s getting a state funeral for his work he was a great person and well known. R.i.p.les 👍

I’m surprised sdc hasn’t said anything about a wonderful man les twenty man who was a legendary youth worker for over 30 years in victoria who passed away. And he’s getting a state funeral for his work he was a great person and well known. R.i.p.les 👍
sorry but you didn't know all of this man HE WAS A BASTARD TO MANY PEOPLE including me. Rude, arrogant, abusive and thought he was the only one who knew how to do the job. I wouldn't cross the road for a funeral let alone a state funeral. ROT IN HELL LES. You put enough of us through it. I was NOT one of the young people I was a Youth Worker, Parole and Probation Officer and, believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: CliffE
sorry but you didn't know all of this man HE WAS A BASTARD TO MANY PEOPLE including me. Rude, arrogant, abusive and thought he was the only one who knew how to do the job. I wouldn't cross the road for a funeral let alone a state funeral. ROT IN HELL LES. You put enough of us through it. I was NOT one of the young people I was a Youth Worker, Parole and Probation Officer and, believe me, I know what I'm talking about.
Not everyone knows the ins and grittiness of people 🙄 I'm sure Littleboy8 just liked what she saw , she didn't say she knew him personally.

It's like Rolf Harris , I thought he was amazing at one time and only those who experienced him knew what an evil person he was

Reactions: Buff and Littleboy8
Not everyone knows the ins and grittiness of people 🙄 I'm sure Littleboy8 just liked what she saw , she didn't say she knew him personally.

It's like Rolf Harris , I thought he was amazing at one time and only those who experienced him knew what an evil person he was
I agree, don't be too hard on people who are just trying to be kind. I didn't know the history of Les just what was in the news which was nothing but complimentary.

If he was such a bad person why would they give him a state funeral.🤔
I'd like to know that too. I wish his brother was still alive so we could ask him. Brother was a nice man who was Principal of St Alban's Tech school and was really well liked even by the students. Les was the complete opposite.

I'd like to know that too. I wish his brother was still alive so we could ask him. Brother was a nice man who was Principal of St Alban's Tech school and was really well liked even by the students. Les was the complete opposite.
I guess if it’s true maybe other people will come out of the woodwork so to speak. And we’ll see how many people attend his funeral won’t we. So I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how many are there to pay respect and how many to throw rotten eggs and fruit and abuse.😊

Last edited:
Dud you actually know him personally or just what his brother or others told you

I guess if it’s true maybe other people will come out of the woodwork so to speak. And we’ll see how many people attend his funeral won’t we. So I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how many are there to pay respect and how many to throw rotten eggs and fruit and abuse.😊
I'm sure if he was that bad not many will attend his funeral and as you said I'm sure there will be people there throwing eggs or protesting that he actually had a state funeral.
Now I'm going to do some digging

Reactions: Littleboy8
I have been reading up on Leslie Jack Twentyman OAM he was an Australian prominent youth outreach worker and community activist in the western suburbs of Melbourne. Raised in Braybrook, he was one of Victoria's best known social campaigners, on issues ranging from homelessness, drug abuse, prison reform, and social welfare.
it as well as toy runs's.

I could only see nothing but good. Absolutely no where is there any bad said.

I think he Absolutely deserves a State funeral

RIP 🙏
images.jpeg

I have been reading up on Leslie Jack Twentyman OAM he was an Australian prominent youth outreach worker and community activist in the western suburbs of Melbourne. Raised in Braybrook, he was one of Victoria's best known social campaigners, on issues ranging from homelessness, drug abuse, prison reform, and social welfare.
it as well as toy runs's.

I could only see nothing but good. Absolutely no where is there any bad said.

I think he Absolutely deserves a State funeral

RIP 🙏
View attachment 44246
I don’t know what gamirys on about bit weird to bag someone so loved by everyone.😿

I'm sure if he was that bad not many will attend his funeral and as you said I'm sure there will be people there throwing eggs or protesting that he actually had a state funeral.
Now I'm going to do some digging
I worked with this creep in the 70s and 80s and I can tell you he had little time for females of any age.

I don’t know what gamirys on about bit weird to bag someone so loved by everyone.😿
when you know what you're talking about. say something. HE WAS NOT LOVED BY EVERYONE. For a start he loathed all females of any age. He also demanded I change the way Job Club, which I began in 1987 in St Albans worked ."MEN DESERVE THE JOBS, NOT FEMALES". Unless he found a "nice pill" he would not have changed.

when you know what you're talking about. say something. HE WAS NOT LOVED BY EVERYONE. For a start he loathed all females of any age. He also demanded I change the way Job Club, which I began in 1987 in St Albans worked ."MEN DESERVE THE JOBS, NOT FEMALES". Unless he found a "nice pill" he would not have changed.
Righto move on I have and I have seen all your past posts and that you have been abused all your life you say and live alone with no friends. Your fault no one else’s stop making it all about you. Go get some help be it mental or stimulation for your health because you sound like you need help.😊just saying.good luck.

Reactions: Suzanne rose