Global health alert: New virus spreads across continents amid climate and urbanisation concerns

In a world where international travel is as common as hopping on a bus, the spread of infectious diseases can be rapid and alarming.

Recently, a new health alert emerged as a debilitating virus, initially linked to sloths, that began spreading more widely.

This development has raised concerns among health officials and the public alike, highlighting the importance of staying informed and vigilant about emerging infectious threats.

The latest health scare to hit the headlines is the ‘sloth fever’ virus, scientifically known as the Oropouche virus.

According to the European Center for Disease Control (ECDC), 19 confirmed cases have made their way to Europe in the past two months.

The Oropouche virus, transmitted to humans through insect bites—including those from midges and mosquitoes—has been known to cause debilitating symptoms.

compressed-shutterstock_2499591503.jpeg
The Oropouche virus, originally from sloths and spread by insect bites, has been reported in Europe for the first time with 19 confirmed cases. Credit: Shutterstock

Spain reported twelve cases, Italy had five, and Germany recorded two. The disease has no vaccine and originated from pale-throated sloths, non-human primates, and birds.

Experts note that the virus belongs to the same family as the Zika and Dengue viruses, both of which can be fatal.

Symptoms of Oropouche include headaches, nausea, vomiting, and muscle and joint pain.

Dr Danny Altmann, a professor of Immunology at Imperial College London, stated, ‘We should definitely be worried. Things are changing and may become unstoppable.’

According to the NHS Travax website, symptoms usually begin four to eight days after a bite, with severe cases potentially leading to meningitis.

While the disease can be deadly, the ECDC reported that fatal outcomes are extremely rare, and most people recover within four days.

Recent outbreaks have been reported across South America, Central America, and the Caribbean, with specific cases in Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia, Peru, and Cuba in 2024.

In Europe, eighteen cases have been linked to recent travel to Cuba, and one case in Italy involved travel to Brazil.

A report in The Lancet revealed two deaths of young women who had no other underlying health conditions from Oropouche in Brazil on July 25, marking the first fatalities due to the virus.

Although European cases remain low, more than 8,000 infections were recorded in Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Columbia, and Cuba between January and mid-July this year.

The ECDC assessed the risk for EU citizens travelling to or residing in outbreak areas as moderate and advised using insect repellent and wearing protective clothing to reduce bite risks.

First identified in the village of Oropouche in Trinidad and Tobago in 1955, the virus was linked to sloths during the construction of the Belem-Brasilia highway five years later.

Since then, about 30 outbreaks have occurred, primarily in the Amazon basin.

The virus is spread by midges and mosquitoes in urban areas, and it is worsened by deforestation and urbanisation, which have displaced wildlife and expanded the range of biting insects.

Rising temperatures from climate change have also led to midges travelling farther, while increased rainfall and flooding create ideal conditions for these biting insects to breed.

As concerns grow over the spread of debilitating viruses originating from wildlife, it's crucial to stay informed about other potential health threats.

Just as we navigate the challenges posed by the Oropouche virus, experts are also sounding alarms about a looming avian influenza threat in Australia.

Understanding these emerging risks and taking preventive measures can help safeguard our health in these uncertain times.
Key Takeaways
  • The Oropouche virus, which is spread by insect bites and originated in sloths, has been reported in humans for the first time in Europe, with 19 confirmed cases.
  • Symptoms of the virus include headaches, nausea, vomiting, and muscle and joint pains, and in severe cases, it can result in meningitis.
  • There is currently no vaccine for the Oropouche virus, which has caused outbreaks in South America, Central America, and the Caribbean, and the European Center for Disease Control has assessed the likelihood of infection for EU citizens travelling to epidemic areas as moderate.
  • Prevention measures advised by the European authority include wearing insect repellent and protective clothing, and increased deforestation, urbanisation, and climate change are contributing factors to the spread of the virus.
What are your thoughts about this emerging health threat? How do you think we could protect ourselves from such diseases? Let us know your insights and suggestions in the comments below.

Sponsored
What a joke, you missed MONkEY Pox, shares in the vaccine makers company have soared since it was announced. Can you imagine how they got an injection ready before it was announced. Do some research it is All planned.

What a joke, you missed MONkEY Pox, shares in the vaccine makers company have soared since it was announced. Can you imagine how they got an injection ready before it was announced. Do some research it is All planned.
Dammit; which manufacturer? I missed the opportunity! If only the ELITES had told me earlier!

The health alert perhaps originated from some official organisation that understands risk management and how to inform people of a potential risk. Whilst sloths may move slothly and carry assorted diseases that can jump species, assorted diseases may move quickly through the human population, especially when crowded together in assorted slums such as house about 2-3 billion people across the world in intriguing poverty and from whom tourists buy quaint knick-knacks and also when warmer weather may allow insect vectors of that disease to increase their range. Simple, innit? Be grateful that some official organisation has your good health, and continuing good health, as part of its policy.
Kind of like a captive population.
How fortuitous for Pfizer & their ilk!

Dammit; which manufacturer? I missed the opportunity! If only the ELITES had told me earlier!
There's still time.
There is the aggressive Malaria Virus in the pipeline, that is passed on by fleas now being developed in a Chinese dark room ... and don't forget the Marburg Virus experiment that flopped ... get your tickets and wait patiently. Marburg will be back with a vengeance.
Follow Bill gates ... he didn't become wealthy investing in cornflakes!

There's still time.
There is the aggressive Malaria Virus in the pipeline, that is passed on by fleas now being developed in a Chinese dark room ... and don't forget the Marburg Virus experiment that flopped ... get your tickets and wait patiently. Marburg will be back with a vengeance.
Follow Bill gates ... he didn't become wealthy investing in cornflakes!
"There is the aggressive Malaria Virus in the pipeline, that is passed on by fleas now..."

A bit passee that one; we did the Black Death thing years ago! We oughta tell the PR Chinese..........

Someone mus have become wealthy investing in cornflakes; Mr and Mrs Kellog?

• Haha
Reactions: Ingot
Geez, yah come back after a hard toil on some reno's, just to find out you've missed all the fun stuff, all the shit slinging

Good to see common ground sprung from that originally spoken of.
Murdoch is a walking, problematic issue for the truth and facts,
Just don't have blind faith in everything you read in the Herald Sun

I read the stuff that's important to me rather than the emotive words that are often mixed in.
However, headlines can be overly dramatic; that's an editorial issue.
SDC does use adjectives rather melodramatically, but at least it passes on useful information.

And more agreeance here, from 3 now.
I have had a bad experience in a 'safe depot' with the pesky, sneaky things.
I do agree with you on the dangers with silent electric cars

Easiest one to agree on.
Oh, by the way....I despise Trump.
Thanks. There's nothing like SDC for slinging mud at each other when we are old enough to know better. Cheers.

Nice finish fella's after.....
a fair slice of polarisation, divisiveness
Which is what I hinted that Murdoch & Co. were ensuring festered or bubbled along, in the non-sense post, way up the page a bit.

Kind of like a captive population.
How fortuitous for Pfizer & their ilk!
Does Pfizer make mosquito nets and anti-insect creams as well?
Geez, yah come back after a hard toil on some reno's, just to find out you've missed all the fun stuff, all the shit slinging

Good to see common ground sprung from that originally spoken of.

And more agreeance here, from 3 now.
I have had a bad experience in a 'safe depot' with the pesky, sneaky things.

Easiest one to agree on.

Nice finish fella's after.....

Which is what I hinted that Murdoch & Co. were ensuring festered or bubbled along, in the non-sense post, way up the page a bit.
Great summary; well done! Please accept an Honorary Editorship of SDC.

Does Pfizer make mosquito nets and anti-insect creams as well?

Great summary; well done! Please accept an Honorary Editorship of SDC.

Coming from you Rob44, even without your Editors experience, it would be my pleasure to accept.

I could have added before that it's clear Murdoch does not fool all of the people all of the time.

Anyway, speaking quietly,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'm still a little befuddled as to how a simple question re clarification about nonsense, led to such, well, vigorous discussion. And I was intrigued by what the answer would bring. Ah well, as that sad footballer said 'such is life'.

• Haha
"There is the aggressive Malaria Virus in the pipeline, that is passed on by fleas now..."

A bit passee that one; we did the Black Death thing years ago! We oughta tell the PR Chinese..........

Someone mus have become wealthy investing in cornflakes; Mr and Mrs Kellog?
Glad you appreciated the irony ... was a bit worried it went over your head there for a minute.

Coming from you Rob44, even without your Editors experience, it would be my pleasure to accept.

I could have added before that it's clear Murdoch does not fool all of the people all of the time.

Anyway, speaking quietly,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'm still a little befuddled as to how a simple question re clarification about nonsense, led to such, well, vigorous discussion. And I was intrigued by what the answer would bring. Ah well, as that sad footballer said 'such is life'.
You got me there.
Which football team was Ned Kelly actually on?
It escapes me just now :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JimmyFlatrock
You got me there.
Which football team was Ned Kelly actually on?
It escapes me just now :ROFLMAO:

Haha yeah I forgot Ned maybe said that as well. And I wasn't referring to the Norman Wisdom quote either, but here is anyway.
"Such is life and life is such and after all it isn't much. First a cradle. Then a hearse. It might have been better, but it could have been worse."
"As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes; I can't remember the other two."

No, not those 2 and not John Wick.

Maybe this will help you recapture who I meant. - A more recent Aussie footballer from western skies. Had a bit of strife did he. He could have ben a family member.

• Haha
Haha yeah I forgot Ned maybe said that as well. And I wasn't referring to the Norman Wisdom quote either, but here is anyway.
"Such is life and life is such and after all it isn't much. First a cradle. Then a hearse. It might have been better, but it could have been worse."
"As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes; I can't remember the other two."

No, not those 2 and not John Wick.

Maybe this will help you recapture who I meant. - A more recent Aussie footballer from western skies. Had a bit of strife did he. He could have ben a family member.
Your family or mine, or the Kelly Gang?
I googled this: "WA footballer Kelly?"
There's a whole nest of 'em.
They have all codes covered!

As for memory and aging ...
My wife always complains about Two things:
* That I never listen to her
* I can't remember the other one ...!
Cheers
:D

Last edited:
Your family or mine, or the Kelly Gang?
I googled this: "WA footballer Kelly?"
There's a whole nest of 'em.
They have all codes covered!

As for memory and aging ...
My wife always complains about Two things:
* That I never listen to her
* I can't remember the other one ...!
Cheers
:D

Sorry for the wild goose chase Ingot. I might be wrong, but I was referring to Ben Cousins.
It was a silly hint I gave, it just didn't seem like it at the time. Cheers 😄

• Haha
Sorry for the wild goose chase Ingot. I might be wrong, but I was referring to Ben Cousins.
It was a silly hint I gave, it just didn't seem like it at the time. Cheers 😄
All good mate - it was a fun wild goose anyway - I just didn't know which Kelly to pick!
But Ben Cousins ... yeah ... had a rough time.
Anyone know how he's doing?
My niece's ex-husband was into cocaine.
Was a lovely bloke initially, but sent the family broke as he spent all his wages on crack.
Ended up OD'ing with his girlfriend.
A tragedy.
Those who supply and push addictive substances are not nice people.
:(

All good mate - it was a fun wild goose anyway - I just didn't know which Kelly to pick!
But Ben Cousins ... yeah ... had a rough time.
Anyone know how he's doing?
My niece's ex-husband was into cocaine.
Was a lovely bloke initially, but sent the family broke as he spent all his wages on crack.
Ended up OD'ing with his girlfriend.
A tragedy.
Those who supply and push addictive substances are not nice people.
:(
I agree, drug dealers are awful people.

Ben Cousins to his credit has improved his circumstances a lot. I think was reading the channel 7 news in WA and there's even some talk about the AFL welcoming him back into the fold due to his turning his life around.

So hopefully he's doing the right thing by himself and others. It sounds like he is. Some might find it hard to forgive. I would say well done to him.

Really tough for some being in the public spotlight. Would come with challenges I would not like.