Getting fit at 50? New gym exclusively opens doors to Australians aged 50 and over, labelled “safe space for Boomers”

It’s no secret that exercise has a huge impact on both our physical and psychological well being.

The right type of workout helps to maintain strength, improve mobility, and reduce the risk of chronic health problems. As we get older, exercise becomes even more vital to help us stay independent and reduce the risk of falls. (Read: New technology to help seniors prevent fall accidents)

Indeed, there’s no shortage of ways to get (and stay) fit - from joining a gym to taking up a new sport or even taking a brisk walk around the neighbourhood.

Joining a gym has the added advantages of enabling both strength (i.e. weight) and cardio training in a controlled environment - but gyms are just for young people, right? Well, not anymore!

You read that right, folks! There are now gyms that only cater to Australians aged 50 and up.

Club Active, a gym chain dedicated to older Aussies, has a unique policy that other fitness clubs in the country do not impose — it doesn’t allow people younger than 50 (Gen Xers born after 1970, Millennials, and Gen Zers) to enrol in its training programs.

Its owner is none other than Aussie actor Chris Hemsworth's exercise physiologist Jonathan Freeman, who describes the facility as a "safe space for Boomers".

ORGpPyzeOSwqiobPaj_IDexN2i7K21Gx31sjCfSsPfpCqYyB_eZROgTkbsA9iz8VV78pVwCgBntC_tpn8qLWtE1RRmCku6K2w7YERACBxvV3v_11Va2tDMlyQHj-UeiGxbOUYAA

Jonathan Freeman said that his aim is to “reinvent retirement” by providing a “safe space” for the elderly to pursue their fitness goals. Credit: Studio 10.

The prospect of joining a gym can be a little intimidating, so Mr Freeman decided to start the gym chain because he wanted to "reinvent retirement" by tackling "gym-timidation", providing older Australians with a space where they can pursue their fitness and health goals.

Jonathan explained: “Mainstream gyms are certainly not designed to support this age group, nor are they overly welcoming, which often impacts their motivation for and ability to exercise comfortably and regularly.”

“The truth is, the traditional gym environment can often be intimidating for the ageing population which is why I set out to create a space that was welcoming, supportive and fun and catered specifically to their needs."

“Having parents in the active Baby Boomer space, it was important for me to ensure that they could change the way they exercise – and that they had a space where they felt comfortable to do so.”

He admitted that he was initially reluctant to the idea of closing his gym's doors to younger people, but felt it was a vital ingredient to making sure older folks feel comfortable going to his facilities.

“I wanted to create a space where the over 50s age group felt completely comfortable to exercise safely and at their own pace,” he said.

Fl_XZuk1tUE_oD5otUZKqSyFteoprBrVTAjgW-OBvhgrcp1MBiDxN3AAtVfZPMSKDacqJMu714Fh3Q6xaU10iUhwUb04kEHSzBxV-xr97HsARYfYkGB85FDhFbMMyXpHOkuxijM

Jonathan is Thor actor Christ Hemsworth’s exercise physiologist. Credit: Instagram.

Speaking to Studio 10, Jonathan also confessed that he had experienced "push back" from Millennial posers and gym junkies because of his decisions.

However, he said that he's "okay with that", reiterating his mission for seniors to be enthusiastic about fitness.

Boomers took to social media to express their excitement over the gym.

One person exclaimed: "This is my kind of gym!"

Currently, Club Active has seven active facilities across NSW and Queensland — all of which are catering to people aged 50 and up.

What are your thoughts on this? Should more gyms be inclusive of elderly people? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I like the idea, but,
Getting fit at 50? New gym exclusively opens doors to Australians aged 50 and over, labelled “safe space for Boomers”

It’s no secret that exercise has a huge impact on both our physical and psychological well being.

The right type of workout helps to maintain strength, improve mobility, and reduce the risk of chronic health problems. As we get older, exercise becomes even more vital to help us stay independent and reduce the risk of falls. (Read: New technology to help seniors prevent fall accidents)

Indeed, there’s no shortage of ways to get (and stay) fit - from joining a gym to taking up a new sport or even taking a brisk walk around the neighbourhood.

Joining a gym has the added advantages of enabling both strength (i.e. weight) and cardio training in a controlled environment - but gyms are just for young people, right? Well, not anymore!

You read that right, folks! There are now gyms that only cater to Australians aged 50 and up.

Club Active, a gym chain dedicated to older Aussies, has a unique policy that other fitness clubs in the country do not impose — it doesn’t allow people younger than 50 (Gen Xers born after 1970, Millennials, and Gen Zers) to enrol in its training programs.

Its owner is none other than Aussie actor Chris Hemsworth's exercise physiologist Jonathan Freeman, who describes the facility as a "safe space for Boomers".

ORGpPyzeOSwqiobPaj_IDexN2i7K21Gx31sjCfSsPfpCqYyB_eZROgTkbsA9iz8VV78pVwCgBntC_tpn8qLWtE1RRmCku6K2w7YERACBxvV3v_11Va2tDMlyQHj-UeiGxbOUYAA

Jonathan Freeman said that his aim is to “reinvent retirement” by providing a “safe space” for the elderly to pursue their fitness goals. Credit: Studio 10.

The prospect of joining a gym can be a little intimidating, so Mr Freeman decided to start the gym chain because he wanted to "reinvent retirement" by tackling "gym-timidation", providing older Australians with a space where they can pursue their fitness and health goals.

Jonathan explained: “Mainstream gyms are certainly not designed to support this age group, nor are they overly welcoming, which often impacts their motivation for and ability to exercise comfortably and regularly.”

“The truth is, the traditional gym environment can often be intimidating for the ageing population which is why I set out to create a space that was welcoming, supportive and fun and catered specifically to their needs."

“Having parents in the active Baby Boomer space, it was important for me to ensure that they could change the way they exercise – and that they had a space where they felt comfortable to do so.”

He admitted that he was initially reluctant to the idea of closing his gym's doors to younger people, but felt it was a vital ingredient to making sure older folks feel comfortable going to his facilities.

“I wanted to create a space where the over 50s age group felt completely comfortable to exercise safely and at their own pace,” he said.

Fl_XZuk1tUE_oD5otUZKqSyFteoprBrVTAjgW-OBvhgrcp1MBiDxN3AAtVfZPMSKDacqJMu714Fh3Q6xaU10iUhwUb04kEHSzBxV-xr97HsARYfYkGB85FDhFbMMyXpHOkuxijM

Jonathan is Thor actor Christ Hemsworth’s exercise physiologist. Credit: Instagram.

Speaking to Studio 10, Jonathan also confessed that he had experienced "push back" from Millennial posers and gym junkies because of his decisions.

However, he said that he's "okay with that", reiterating his mission for seniors to be enthusiastic about fitness.

Currently, Club Active has seven active facilities across NSW and Queensland — all of which are catering to people aged 50 and up.

What are your thoughts on this? Should more gyms be inclusive of elderly people? Share your opinions with us in the comments below!
I hate that you need to signup for a min 6mth period

Reactions: Ricci

I'd love this. Please open in WA. Wont go to local gym, because of what I call the young posers. I would be far more comfortable with an older clientele who would be going to keep fit.

Reactions: Givvi88
I attend a gym which has a "live longer live stronger" program for over 55's.
It only costs $4 each visit and you only pay when you attend. It's great for both exercise and social interaction

Reactions: Juanita Warren

Fantastic Idea! Something I have wished would happen for many years! Now I just have to wait until some smart person opened one in WA. Make it in Nedlands please!

Reactions: Givvi88

Where are these Gyms

Yes please WA…I and many of my friends & acquaintances would be so grateful… all over 65 and in need of age appropriate gyms…what a fabulous idea…Claremont area.

Reactions: JanBroom