Get ready to save big: Prices plunge at Target due to Kmart's latest strategy

Strolling the aisles of your local Target, you may have noticed something a little different lately. Perhaps entire sections appear emptied or sparsely stocked. Sale signs plastered on specific products boasting discounts over $100. Just what is going on?

As savvy shoppers have discovered, Target is slashing prices across various categories. And the reason points to big changes happening behind the scenes in Target's relationship with retail giant Kmart.

Earlier this week, Target confirmed it would begin stocking 'select Anko products' in their stores—Anko being Kmart's popular private label brand spanning homewares, clothing, and more.

This revelation follows the July 2023 announcement that Kmart and Target would merge their support operations.

Screenshot 2024-01-12 100918.png
Shoppers have noticed that Target is slashing prices for certain products. Source: Facebook

The influx of Anko goods currently appears restricted to certain categories like baby gear and kitchen appliances.

According to customers, entire sections had been 'gutted', with remaining Target stock marked down significantly.

'The home/kitchen section looked like it had been gutted, there was barely anything left,' one shopper described.

Meanwhile, this customer shared the Target markdowns on social media:

For loyal Target fans, this integration of Kmart house brands like Anko is a notably disappointing and unwelcome move.

As one disappointed customer put it online, 'I'm so disappointed Kmart and Target are now going to have the same Kmart [products] for babies. I felt Target stuff was just [a] little bit better quality.’

‘Went into Target today, and they were putting out all of the Anko homewares. It's literally exactly the same as the Kmart stuff. Absolutely devastated!’ another shopper said.

‘I really hope they have a wider range of stuff because now Target and Kmart will feel the same,’ a third person pointed out.

For bargain hunters, of course, this spells good news. As one customer pointed out: ‘I have to go to Target before they take it away.’

On the other hand, some of our members shared their thoughts on this recent change.

Member @elaine41 wrote: ‘I used to shop a lot at Target a long, long time ago but found the quality diminished gradually. I look at their website now & then, mainly if I need toys for my nephews or novels etc, but I haven’t ever really shopped at Kmart. It’s disappointing that we have to search high & low for good quality items.’

‘I actually found that Target started becoming expensive. Yes, Kmart is cheaper, but [the] quality is poorer. Hopefully, combining the two prices and quality will be in the middle. Wishful thinking,’ member @Suzanne rose commented.

Member @June E shared: ‘We have Kmart and Target in Westfield Coomera for clothes and bedding. Target was always better quality, but lately, it’s been less quality and more price. You have to spend a lot these days for decent quality. Target used to sell decent, well-priced business wear. Now you can’t buy good-priced zip pants there, only pull-on ones. My daughter had to pay almost $100 for work pants with a zip at other retailers.’

Target has confirmed the introduction of select Anko products will start in February 2024, following the merger of their support operations with Kmart announced in July 2023.

A company spokesperson assured that they value feedback from their customers.

‘While we are confident customers will like the curation of products, like always, we will continue to test and learn in response to customer feedback,’ they said.

Key Takeaways
  • Target stores across Australia are offering huge markdowns as they prepare to stock Kmart's Anko-brand products.
  • Loyal Target customers have expressed disappointment over the shift to Anko products instead of Target’s traditional range.
  • Shoppers are flocking to stores to take advantage of the sales, which include significant discounts on baby products and homewares.
  • Target has confirmed the introduction of select Anko products will start in February 2024, following the merger of their support operations with Kmart announced in July 2023.

Have you managed to snag any great deals in the recent Target sales, members? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy and BJM
Sponsored
This is a worry where there is a Kmart and Target in the same town. During our travels around the country we have seen many K-Hubs which have been a combination the two stores. A move that Wesfarmers have saved a lot of money by closing some stores. Who knows, will we end up with a “K-Hub Hardware” soon??

I hope they don't change their underwear at Target, I have found some things that I like. Maybe I had better go and get more before they bring in the Anko brand. I always found them hard to get because they sold out quickly because of the better quality. I wonder what the quality will be like now.

Reactions: Davmes
It is disappointing that they seem to be getting rid of all Targets as they were better quality by far tban K Mart but lately apart from 100% cotton t shirts I have not found any decent clothes at Target. They have gone downhill drastically.

Reactions: Meg Rossenrode
ANKO kitchen and decor items (porcelain/glass/plastic) feel quite fragile. I've seen chipped and cracked dishes/cups/decor items on shelves at Kmart stores.

This is when new and while on display before they've been put to any use.

I know that some customers may be rough but the number of chipped etc things evident leave me to conclude that it has more to do with composition/quality than with handling.

Now that Target is K-get, shoppers' will have their choices reduced and won't be able to opt for items they might feel are somewhat better quality 😒😒.

I shop at both Target and Kmart. My local store is a Target, so will have to see how things pan out!
I managed to score a QS Jason Australian Woolen Underlay for $30, so I bought 2 and saved myself a fortune, as these were $199.99 back in October, last year!
I also scored a bamboo Laundry Hamper for $12, saved $30!
Unfortunately a bargain is a bargain, no matter where from or for what reason, especially these days!

This is a worry where there is a Kmart and Target in the same town. During our travels around the country we have seen many K-Hubs which have been a combination the two stores. A move that Wesfarmers have saved a lot of money by closing some stores. Who knows, will we end up with a “K-Hub Hardware” soon??
riverlink ipswich