Get a free hotel upgrade by saying this one sentence, according to a hotel worker

Love to travel? Us too! And one of the best parts about planning a getaway is booking a hotel room that you know will be comfortable and make your vacation that much more enjoyable.

However, we all know that hotel rooms can be pricey – especially if you're hoping to snag a nicer, bigger room or one with a killer view.

But there's good news! Because there’s a way that you can get free upgrades at hotels – and according to a hotel worker, all you need to do is say one simple sentence.

Edward Conway, who works in the hospitality industry, took to Quora (a social media forum) to answer people’s questions, and share advice for hotel guests looking to get a free room upgrade.

He prefaced his post by saying that the answer will vary from hotel to hotel, depending on the circumstances. But there is a general pattern he observed at the hotels he worked for.

hotel1.jpg
Always be polite no matter where you are. Credit: Pixabay in Pexels

His main advice is to be polite and notice things that can be included in a feedback survey. He explained that guests can ask for the front desk staff’s name, tell them they’ll leave feedback on their stay, and say that they’d like to include them in the review.

For hotel workers, having consistent positive feedback from guests is a ‘core goal’ in hospitality. Management and other staff members judge reviews as a key performance indicator.

Edward also said that how you ask is very important as well.

‘A polite inquiry at check-in, for example, “I have heard your property has some great suites, would it be possible to get one for this stay?” would be a good phrasing.’

In contrast, saying ‘I always get free upgrades when I stay here,’ is likely to alienate the staff according to Edward. In turn, staff are more likely to deny your demands.

‘To accommodate a request, the staff has to know. But make it an open door, rather than trying to force the issue,’ he added.

He also suggested avoiding manufacturing a false complaint or issue – because that can backfire.

‘You may get something by forcing this one time, but you will have made yourself memorable in a bad way to the staff and management,’ he continued.

hotel.jpg
Who knew leaving feedback could get you a room upgrade? Credit: Thorsten technoman in Pexels

Finally, he said: ‘Similarly, a bribe will often backfire, as staff who are honest will be insulted, and those who are dishonest risk discovery and firing.’

Key Takeaways

• You can get a free room upgrade by simply asking the front desk worker for their name and telling them you'll be giving positive feedback.
  • Hotels that fail to meet standards can lose their brand status, so feedback is very important.
  • You're less likely to get an upgrade if you’re ‘forceful’ about the issue, and might end up alienating the staff to your requests.
  • Bribes and false complaints might backfire as this leaves a ‘bad memory’ for management and hotel staff.
What are your thoughts on this story? Have you experienced a free hotel room upgrade before, members? Share them with us in the comments section!

Sponsored
That’s a great life hack! I will try it out the next time I check into a hotel. I think it will happen within the next few weeks because I will go to a neighboring city for a few days for work. There are a few hotels out there, but I always look for an ibis hotel near me because they have the best service.
I will try to say something like this to the staff at the front desk and see how they react. I don’t want it to sound intimidating, though, and I don’t want them to believe that I will intendedly look for flaws in their work and make them nervous.

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay
Love to travel? Us too! And one of the best parts about planning a getaway is booking a hotel room that you know will be comfortable and make your vacation that much more enjoyable.

However, we all know that hotel rooms can be pricey – especially if you're hoping to snag a nicer, bigger room or one with a killer view.

But there's good news! Because there’s a way that you can get free upgrades at hotels – and according to a hotel worker, all you need to do is say one simple sentence.

Edward Conway, who works in the hospitality industry, took to Quora (a social media forum) to answer people’s questions, and share advice for hotel guests looking to get a free room upgrade.

He prefaced his post by saying that the answer will vary from hotel to hotel, depending on the circumstances. But there is a general pattern he observed at the hotels he worked for.

View attachment 9064

His main advice is to be polite and notice things that can be included in a feedback survey. He explained that guests can ask for the front desk staff’s name, tell them they’ll leave feedback on their stay, and say that they’d like to include them in the review.

For hotel workers, having consistent positive feedback from guests is a ‘core goal’ in hospitality. Management and other staff members judge reviews as a key performance indicator.

‘A polite inquiry at check-in, for example, “I have heard your property has some great suites, would it be possible to get one for this stay?” would be a good phrasing.’

In contrast, saying ‘I always get free upgrades when I stay here,’ is likely to alienate the staff according to Edward. In turn, staff are more likely to deny your demands.

‘To accommodate a request, the staff has to know. But make it an open door, rather than trying to force the issue,’ he added.

He also suggested avoiding manufacturing a false complaint or issue – because that can backfire.

‘You may get something by forcing this one time, but you will have made yourself memorable in a bad way to the staff and management,’ he continued.

View attachment 9063
Who knew leaving feedback could get you a room upgrade? Credit: Thorsten technoman in Pexels

Finally, he said: ‘Similarly, a bribe will often backfire, as staff who are honest will be insulted, and those who are dishonest risk discovery and firing.’

Key Takeaways

• You can get a free room upgrade by simply asking the front desk worker for their name and telling them you'll be giving positive feedback.
  • Hotels that fail to meet standards can lose their brand status, so feedback is very important.
  • You're less likely to get an upgrade if you’re ‘forceful’ about the issue, and might end up alienating the staff to your requests.
  • Bribes and false complaints might backfire as this leaves a ‘bad memory’ for management and hotel staff.
What are your thoughts on this story? Have you experienced a free hotel room upgrade before, members? Share them with us in the comments section!
I live for the day, in some other epoch perhaps, when we all give each other the 5 star experience without having to answer to the commandments of corporate instituted KPI (key performance indicators). Just be a good, honest and thoughtful person. Simples....to quote a famous Meerkat named Sergei.

It pays to be nice. One time I phoned up to make a booking at a beachside resort and was chatting away to the young receptionist (no ulterior motive - just being pleasant). She asked why we were visiting their town and I replied that it was our 41st wedding anniversary. She wanted to know our secret to a long and happy marriage. Then she said, "You are so nice, I am going to organise a surprise for you". I was expecting something minor like chocolates on the pillow, or a free drink with dinner. Instead we were upgraded from the cheapest room to the most expensive suite. It was a fabulous holiday, the resort and staff were wonderful and we were happy to provide a glowing review.

It pays to be nice. One time I phoned up to make a booking at a beachside resort and was chatting away to the young receptionist (no ulterior motive - just being pleasant). She asked why we were visiting their town and I replied that it was our 41st wedding anniversary. She wanted to know our secret to a long and happy marriage. Then she said, "You are so nice, I am going to organise a surprise for you". I was expecting something minor like chocolates on the pillow, or a free drink with dinner. Instead we were upgraded from the cheapest room to the most expensive suite. It was a fabulous holiday, the resort and staff were wonderful and we were happy to provide a glowing review.
Love it, thank you for sharing.

Same! We turned up to reception and I was chatting to the lovely girl about having an early start next day because it was our 30th anniversary and we were having a balloon flight. She upgraded us to a spa suite - we were rapt!! Unfortunately the balloon flight was cancelled because of the weather but we would've travelled JUST to spend a night in such luxury! It pays to be nice.

View attachment 9064

View attachment 9063

Key Takeaways

I have had room upgrades but never have I asked for them. Of course my reviews were positive because the overall experience was terrific. I do not believe that telling the front desk will get you an upgrade when you say you will be reviewing them positively. Isn't that manipulation/bribery? Why would you ask for a name if the employee has a staff name badge on? Makes you look like an idiot!

View attachment 9064

View attachment 9063

Key Takeaways

If a couple say u r on ur honeymoon

View attachment 9064

View attachment 9063

Key Takeaways

I would rathe stay in a tent, even in my old age

If a couple say u r on ur honeymoon
Only if a couple truly are. Sometimes people have a way of knowing whether or not someone is being truthful (radar). Telling furphies creates bad vibes or ill will (unless you are a lawyer apparently). Create positive vibes for a more peaceful soul existence.