Gen Z’s rant about the 'unhinged' experience of shopping at ALDI: 'My heartbeat's racing'

Hilarity ensued after an Aussie TikToker called her first-ever ALDI shopping experience 'unhinged' as she vented her frustrations when it comes to shopping in the German supermarket.

'I am of the very strong opinion you need to be moderately to severely unhinged to shop regularly at ALDI,' said Rom, who goes by the handle @romaneevirgara, in her video on TikTok.

WdfCmcdybhbpfFmX7cwdSHGqdMPHf7Oa_0Obi5jKPDQ6LlsU8nVHGta7CxHiOdwpXKsagFWxAP0EYkhq63fIdjbV55Jcz7HrvOiIVFW-IZ39mJvoSQBM9BSRD5GOvQ7uuRgoaZAKv5K7hGBmufCvZOE

Rom called ALDI shoppers 'unhinged' for being able to shop at the German supermarket. Credit: TikTok/romaneevirgara.

In Rom's opinion, the first 'red flag' is the fact that customers must have a gold coin or token onhand to use a shopping trolley.

The next issue for her is the grocery chain's layout, which is usually disorganised and quite a challenge to navigate. We guess for a first-timer, it could be tricky!

'I'm in there. I'm trying to find bananas. I've walked past a three-piece aluminium dining set, a saxophone starter kit, two kilos of pickled quail eggs – where are the freakin' bananas?' she said in the clip.

'Then once you've torn your hair out and fought your ADHD to get your three ingredients on your shopping list that's taken you 75 minutes, you have to head to the register,' Rom went on to say.

Apparently, the next problem with the supermarket is at the register. 'And as I'm walking towards that register, my palms are sweaty, my heartbeat's racing, my breathing's become jagged with the fear of what's about to unfold,' said the shopper.

Aside from its budget-friendly grocery items and homewares offerings, ALDI is popularly known for its speedy checkout process, in which shoppers pack their own groceries after having them scanned by a cashier.

nDtMdl4BUP6Ij11tk2cV4hUNjBgjfxT6jnjv-XfMI5jFEU7O_25ihlLngSxJEcyMNqylqcQUXvbJ88tdYTjIi2WQHk0136b_BsoHwuKnsOK4XwfgleMAdAHOwYNgvV_qXRgI3VbgiRq0qZ1O1b-r21s

Other shoppers say bananas are the first thing they see in their local ALDI. Credit: Shutterstock.

After that, we get to hear Rom use some rather 'colourful' language to explain the store's checkout process, which was followed by a hilarious fictional description of her shopping experience.

'You get there, the shop assistant grunts at you and starts f***ing throwing groceries at you. You're dodging and weaving…' she said as she acted out the imaginary scenario.

'Then if you survive that, you're packing your own stuff at lightning speed, and then you've got to get out there and get your coin back!' she continued her monologue while keeping a blank expression the entire time.

Rom went on to say that returning a shopping cart was like taking an 'intelligence test' and that she had to stand there for about three minutes trying to figure out what was going on before a helpful shopper came over to assist her and explained what she needed to do.

But at that point, she was already so confused about everything that she barely understood what her fellow shopper just told her. 'Lady, I've got three brain cells left,' said Rom.

The hilarious clip resonated with thousands of fellow ALDI shoppers on the platform, many of whom said they could relate to Rom's frustrations when shopping at the German store.

'Try adding 3 kids under 6 to the mix,' one user wrote in the comments section.

'The anxiety at ALDI checkouts kills me,' a second person commented.

Meanwhile, a third said that in their local ALDI, it's the other way around – bananas are actually the first thing people see when they walk in.

'I also know plenty of Coles that need coins for the trolley. But yes, it is stressful,' they said. 'Mind you, I have perfected the ALDI checkout now. And much cheaper than Coles/Woolies so worth the stress, haha.'

What about you, folks? Do you also have your frustrations whenever you shop at ALDI? Tell us about them in the comments – you might just discover a fellow member sharing those frustrations with you!

Sponsored
Hilarity ensued after an Aussie TikToker called her first-ever ALDI shopping experience 'unhinged' as she vented her frustrations when it comes to shopping in the German supermarket.

'I am of the very strong opinion you need to be moderately to severely unhinged to shop regularly at ALDI,' said Rom, who goes by the handle @romaneevirgara, in her video on TikTok.

WdfCmcdybhbpfFmX7cwdSHGqdMPHf7Oa_0Obi5jKPDQ6LlsU8nVHGta7CxHiOdwpXKsagFWxAP0EYkhq63fIdjbV55Jcz7HrvOiIVFW-IZ39mJvoSQBM9BSRD5GOvQ7uuRgoaZAKv5K7hGBmufCvZOE

Rom called ALDI shoppers 'unhinged' for being able to shop at the German supermarket. Credit: TikTok/romaneevirgara.

In Rom's opinion, the first 'red flag' is the fact that customers must have a gold coin or token onhand to use a shopping trolley.

The next issue for her is the grocery chain's layout, which is usually disorganised and quite a challenge to navigate. We guess for a first-timer, it could be tricky!

'I'm in there. I'm trying to find bananas. I've walked past a three-piece aluminium dining set, a saxophone starter kit, two kilos of pickled quail eggs – where are the freakin' bananas?' she said in the clip.

'Then once you've torn your hair out and fought your ADHD to get your three ingredients on your shopping list that's taken you 75 minutes, you have to head to the register,' Rom went on to say.

Apparently, the next problem with the supermarket is at the register. 'And as I'm walking towards that register, my palms are sweaty, my heartbeat's racing, my breathing's become jagged with the fear of what's about to unfold,' said the shopper.

Aside from its budget-friendly grocery items and homewares offerings, ALDI is popularly known for its speedy checkout process, in which shoppers pack their own groceries after having them scanned by a cashier.

nDtMdl4BUP6Ij11tk2cV4hUNjBgjfxT6jnjv-XfMI5jFEU7O_25ihlLngSxJEcyMNqylqcQUXvbJ88tdYTjIi2WQHk0136b_BsoHwuKnsOK4XwfgleMAdAHOwYNgvV_qXRgI3VbgiRq0qZ1O1b-r21s

Other shoppers say bananas are the first thing they see in their local ALDI. Credit: Shutterstock.

After that, we get to hear Rom use some rather 'colourful' language to explain the store's checkout process, which was followed by a hilarious fictional description of her shopping experience.

'You get there, the shop assistant grunts at you and starts f***ing throwing groceries at you. You're dodging and weaving…' she said as she acted out the imaginary scenario.

'Then if you survive that, you're packing your own stuff at lightning speed, and then you've got to get out there and get your coin back!' she continued her monologue while keeping a blank expression the entire time.

Rom went on to say that returning a shopping cart was like taking an 'intelligence test' and that she had to stand there for about three minutes trying to figure out what was going on before a helpful shopper came over to assist her and explained what she needed to do.

But at that point, she was already so confused about everything that she barely understood what her fellow shopper just told her. 'Lady, I've got three brain cells left,' said Rom.

The hilarious clip resonated with thousands of fellow ALDI shoppers on the platform, many of whom said they could relate to Rom's frustrations when shopping at the German store.

Meanwhile, a third said that in their local ALDI, it's the other way around – bananas are actually the first thing people see when they walk in.

'I also know plenty of Coles that need coins for the trolley. But yes, it is stressful,' they said. 'Mind you, I have perfected the ALDI checkout now. And much cheaper than Coles/Woolies so worth the stress, haha.'

What about you, folks? Do you also have your frustrations whenever you shop at ALDI? Tell us about them in the comments – you might just discover a fellow member sharing those frustrations with you!

No I do not. and the comments by Rom are unjust. It may not be the layout or presentation she may be used to in the "upmarket" stores (highly debatable) but if you use your eyes you will have no problems finding the relevant articles. Rom may complain about the shopping trolleys and using the gold coin ... that also prevents people taking the trolley out of the store and leaving them abandoned in the streets. People tend to be frugal and want their gold coin back! You may find that Coles came up with another way preventing shoppers taking the trolleys out of the shopping centre -- locking the wheels when you try to get out of the shopping centre. Which do you prefer?

Reactions: Geophph
I hate Aldi passionately! Hate needing a coin or token for a trolley. (None of the Coles or WW near me use them.)Hate the small range of products. I can never get all I need at Aldi. Particularly hate the check out process. The slightly lower prices are not worth the hassle. Much better for my blood pressure to shop elsewhere.

• Angry
Welll! Thank Heaven I see the humour in everything. Why pick on MY favourite shop when my best piece of fruit is right in front of you when you enter an Aldi Store. You would have to be sadly blind to miss my yellow beauties. As for you Dom who thought up a lot of trash to laugh @, you never got me for one minute. Get a life, look in the mirror & stop criticising other people. Unless you liked Dorian Grey whose image depended on his badness to others. Heaven's above, be a model for your parent's. If you see a person who isn't smiling, give them yours. You'll get nowhere unless you do not alter. It costs NOTHING to love yourself & pass it onto others. Mentioning the way out of ANY store, @ least offer a smile to the checkout girls with a "thank you." Yes, of course they are paid for working, but common courtesy seems to have gone out with the bath water today. You do your homework, & you'll have a smile on your face for so many things, you won't have time to think you,re funny. Be a doer, not a whinger. Learn to know how to choose words & don't think all smiles are pretty. There are times when there is heart-break going on behind scenes & you are not meant to know, because in turn, they are shielding the pain from YOU. Enough said. Good luck Dom. You COULD pardon me for "coming on strong." I do NOT want you to take offence by trying to alter the little habit that could turn you into a beautiful human being. You will find every lesson you take up along life's pathway is good for a challenge. If you think it is not for you after you have given it a go, move on.

This person's "rant" is a perfect example of someone using TicToc or some other social media platform to garner the own 15 minutes of fame. Why people spend so much time watching this garbage makes me seriously concerned about the future of society.
Mind you as an Aussie who prefers to support Aussie producers and farmers and therefore buys Australian Made first I completely refuse to shop at Aldie. The store is full of foreign imports and it takes plenty of skill to find a label written in English let alone something produced in Oz.
Cheap or not, I won't shop there on principle!

What a ridiculous vent. ALDI is well laid out and this doesn't frequently change, as happens at the other major supermarkets. This female obviously had a pre existing opinion about ALDI.
I feel that the person of low intelligence, is this ranter. Three braincells left.
She didn't start with many. Thank you.

This person's "rant" is a perfect example of someone using TicToc or some other social media platform to garner the own 15 minutes of fame. Why people spend so much time watching this garbage makes me seriously concerned about the future of society.
Mind you as an Aussie who prefers to support Aussie producers and farmers and therefore buys Australian Made first I completely refuse to shop at Aldie. The store is full of foreign imports and it takes plenty of skill to find a label written in English let alone something produced in Oz.
Cheap or not, I won't shop there on principle!
All meat is Aussie and most fruit and veggies are too. Give it a try,vwith an open mind. You will smile too. 😉