Gatekeepers of retail: Woolworths locks down shoplifting with high-tech exit gates

As we all know, the retail world is constantly evolving. With advancements in technology, stores are looking for innovative ways to tackle the age-old problem of shoplifting.

Recently, one of Australia's leading supermarket chains has discreetly introduced a new security feature that's raising eyebrows among shoppers.

However, how far is too far when it comes to monitoring customers?

The latest measure involves advanced security gates that are being installed at select Woolworths locations across New South Wales and Victoria.

These gates are not your average turnstiles. Equipped with sensors mounted on the store's ceiling, they track customers as they approach the self-service checkout area.

Once a shopper has paid for their items, the sensor sends a signal to open the exit gate, allowing them to leave.

However, if the system suspects that someone may be attempting to take unpaid goods, the gates will remain firmly shut, effectively preventing the individual from exiting.

image (81).png
Woolworths has quietly introduced advanced security gates at self-service checkouts in select stores across New South Wales and Victoria. Credit: Shutterstock

This technology is part of a broader strategy to reduce instances of retail crime, which can have a significant impact on businesses and, ultimately, on prices for consumers.

Woolworths has assured the public that privacy is maintained throughout this process, as the system does not employ facial recognition or CCTV to identify individuals.

Since the initial rollout in August of the previous year, these gates have appeared in eight Woolworths stores, with plans to include them in additional locations as part of store upgrades.

The Central Park shopping centre in Sydney is one of the latest to see these gates in action.

‘Exit gates are one of a number of initiatives, both covert and overt, to minimise instances of retail crime in-store networks across the Group,’ a spokesperson stated.

While Woolworths is taking a more sensor-based approach, its competitor Coles has opted for security cameras positioned above self-service checkouts.

These cameras monitor items being scanned and bagged, and if any discrepancies arise, smart gates close, and an alarm sounds, keeping the customer inside the store.

Coles has also introduced high-tech trolleys that lock up the wheels if a suspected thief tries to leave the premises.

The introduction of such security features has sparked a debate among shoppers. Some appreciate the efforts to prevent theft, which can drive up costs for everyone.

Others, however, feel uncomfortable with the idea of being monitored so closely and are concerned about the potential for false accusations or technical errors that could cause embarrassment or inconvenience to innocent customers.

At the Seniors Discount Club, we understand that safety and security are paramount, but we also value our privacy and the presumption of innocence. It's a delicate balance to strike, and we're curious to hear your thoughts on the matter.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has quietly rolled out advanced security gates at self-service checkouts in some stores across New South Wales and Victoria.
  • The security system uses sensors to track whether items have been paid for and controls exit gates accordingly.
  • Shoppers' identities remain unidentifiable as the system does not use facial recognition or CCTV technology.
  • The security gates are a part of various initiatives by Woolworths to minimize instances of retail crime, and the rollout is expected to continue as stores are upgraded.
Have you encountered these new security gates on your shopping trips? Do you feel reassured or uneasy about these measures? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I noticed yesterday that at my regular woolies the ordinary checkouts not being used had three trolleys all linked to each other to stop people going out that way. My sister in law works at woolies and she said some people load up their trolleys and just push through unused checkouts and race out the door and they cant stop them

People will literally just walk out with a trolly load of stuff even through manned checkouts. Are our memories so bad that we can't remember the snaking queues from days of old? You could read a whole magazine while lined up. How many times did you hear people complain you could do it yourself faster, just loud enough for the worker to hear...yes I was that worker. Now we have options and people still complain.

If they want to get rid of shoplifting get rid of self serve
The stores keep investing/spending money on security measures to bullet proof the self serve checkouts.

Would be interesting to see what those costs amount to compared to the wages of 5 or 6 checkout staff.

Of being watched? Yes.

But gates slamming shut when you have done no wrong would be a humiliation.
My son was in Woolies and our doctor set off the alarm by mistake he was so embarrassed he made a hasty retreat without shopping. We teased him about it later.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
Mobility aids make it awkward to use self serve. When I do a shop, I hobble in with a couple of canes and use the trolley as an aid. I have to keep a steady hand on the trolley at all times. I don't care about cameras as they have been a standard throughout supermarkets for years.
The WW in my area always has manned registers numbering up to 4 every time I go there. In fact, my last two shops were quite interesting. I was in a 2 deep queue at a register operated by a team member, and the queue for the self serve snaked back from the entry gate all the way past the manned registers and into an aisle.
One has to wonder which is the most efficient.

I do feel self serve registers have their place, particularly when there are smaller quantities involved. I shop once a month. I reckon it would take me at least 5 times longer than an experienced team member to go through self service with that lot.

Such is life.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
I was in Woolworths this morning and was told all stores are discontinuing the express lane registers in the near future. The conversation came about as someone just went through with a trolley full of goods. Apparently they just have to grin and bear it.