Gardening groups warn that fake grass is 'as bad as blowing smoke in a baby's face'

Artificial grass has increased in popularity recently as more people look to drought-proof their backyard or transform a space to look warmer and more welcoming. Some don’t have the time to mow their lawns, so they install fake grass instead.

However, gardening groups have declared the growing trend has to stop before irreparable environmental damage is done.

They even went so far as to compare it to ‘blowing smoke in a baby’s face’.

Leading environmental groups from the UK insisted that fake grass should be considered a ‘crime against nature’ for the ‘extreme environmental damage’ it causes.

According to Lynne Marcus from the Society of Garden Designers, they want to get their point across to ‘people who are thinking of putting in artificial grass, and that it’s as serious as not wearing a seatbelt or blowing smoke in your baby’s face’.

She added: ‘I find it remarkable that people think it’s not OK to get a plastic bag, but it’s OK to cover your whole garden with plastic sheeting, which is what you’re effectively doing – and destroying 1,000 years of topsoil to do it.’

FB resize 03.jpg
Gardening groups stated that fake grass is causing irreparable environmental damage. Credit: FOX/Pexels

Ms Marcus revealed that her team, together with the Royal Horticultural Society and the Landscape Institute, is launching a ‘Say No To Plastic Grass and Plants’ campaign to try and turn the tide.

‘It’s destroying lots of countries, but we can do something about this one. And now is the time to move on because the public is beginning to feel much more protective about our wildlife,’ she explained.

However, Ms Marcus also admitted that some of her clients still insist on artificial grass. ‘We need to get people to stop asking for it. All I can do is do my best to try to persuade them that this is just not a good idea,’ she continued.

Based on research from Google Trends, a site that tracks online searches, interest in artificial laws spiked 185 per cent during the pandemic. Dr Mark Gush from the Royal Horticultural Society said that plastic grass had so many negative aspects.

This included plastic pollution, the creation of more greenhouse gasses during manufacturing, and the risk that synthetic materials will seep into the Earth.

The leading gardening organisations also wanted to debunk myths about artificial grass, such as claims that it is easier to maintain than real grass. In reality, artificial grass must be regularly cleaned and vacuumed as it can become smelly, especially with pets.

They also stated that removing real grass destroys the habitats that certain wildlife depends on since grass contains a ‘vast ecosystem of organisms that help both the food chain and biodiversity’.

FB resize 04.jpg
Artificial grass is not necessarily easier to maintain than natural grass. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

Consumer advocacy organisation CHOICE said that there are downsides to fake grass aside from environmental damage. First, an artificial grass lawn costs roughly double to install.

Second, while a well-maintained, high-quality installation can last up to 25 years, standard warranties only last seven to 10 years. And this could mean that you might find that your lawn needs substantial maintenance and replacement after some time.

Third, according to the advocacy group, the surface of artificial grass can become ‘dangerously hot’ under direct sunlight. This poses a significant burn risk, particularly to young children.

Dr Sebastian Pfautsch, an Associate Professor in Urban Studies at the University of Western Sydney, explained: ‘Surface temperatures of unshaded artificial turn can reach ‘100°C on a hot day’. This can easily cause surface burns, especially for toddlers and young children.’

He added that in 2020, three toddlers sustained second-degree burns after walking barefoot over artificial grass at their childcare centre.

Mr Pfautsch also warned that radiant heat is also an issue.

‘The air temperature surrounding unshaded artificial turf is significantly elevated,’ he said before adding that those who stand for long periods on unshaded turf will be exposed to higher temperatures. The person will be subjected to dehydration, heat rashes, and heat exhaustion.

This could also affect the temperature of your home.

‘If you have a small block with very little airflow, the turf will re-radiate stored heat into the microclimate surrounding your home, effectively heating up your house,’ he declared.
Key Takeaways
  • Leading gardening groups have argued that installing a fake plastic lawn should be as socially unacceptable as blowing cigarette smoke in a baby’s face.
  • The Royal Horticultural Society, the Landscape Institute, and the Society of Garden Designers are launching a ‘Say No To Plastic Grass And Plants’ campaign.
  • Artificial lawns cause plastic pollution, create more greenhouse gases during manufacture, and risk leaching into the Earth.
Do you have a fake lawn or a natural lawn? We would love to hear what you have to say about the matter, so please tell us your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
Artificial grass has increased in popularity recently as more people look to drought-proof their backyard or transform a space to look warmer and more welcoming. Some don’t have the time to mow their lawns, so they install fake grass instead.

However, gardening groups have declared the growing trend has to stop before irreparable environmental damage is done.

Leading environmental groups from the UK insisted that fake grass should be considered a ‘crime against nature’ for the ‘extreme environmental damage’ it causes.

According to Lynne Marcus from the Society of Garden Designers, they want to get their point across to ‘people who are thinking of putting in artificial grass, and that it’s as serious as not wearing a seatbelt or blowing smoke in your baby’s face’.

She added: ‘I find it remarkable that people think it’s not OK to get a plastic bag, but it’s OK to cover your whole garden with plastic sheeting, which is what you’re effectively doing – and destroying 1,000 years of topsoil to do it.’

View attachment 15589
Gardening groups stated that fake grass is causing irreparable environmental damage. Credit: FOX/Pexels

Ms Marcus revealed that her team, together with the Royal Horticultural Society and the Landscape Institute, is launching a ‘Say No To Plastic Grass and Plants’ campaign to try and turn the tide.

‘It’s destroying lots of countries, but we can do something about this one. And now is the time to move on because the public is beginning to feel much more protective about our wildlife,’ she explained.

However, Ms Marcus also admitted that some of her clients still insist on artificial grass. ‘We need to get people to stop asking for it. All I can do is do my best to try to persuade them that this is just not a good idea,’ she continued.

Based on research from Google Trends, a site that tracks online searches, interest in artificial laws spiked 185 per cent during the pandemic. Dr Mark Gush from the Royal Horticultural Society said that plastic grass had so many negative aspects.

This included plastic pollution, the creation of more greenhouse gasses during manufacturing, and the risk that synthetic materials will seep into the Earth.

The leading gardening organisations also wanted to debunk myths about artificial grass, such as claims that it is easier to maintain than real grass. In reality, artificial grass must be regularly cleaned and vacuumed as it can become smelly, especially with pets.

They also stated that removing real grass destroys the habitats that certain wildlife depends on since grass contains a ‘vast ecosystem of organisms that help both the food chain and biodiversity’.

View attachment 15590
Artificial grass is not necessarily easier to maintain than natural grass. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

Consumer advocacy organisation CHOICE said that there are downsides to fake grass aside from environmental damage. First, an artificial grass lawn costs roughly double to install.

Second, while a well-maintained, high-quality installation can last up to 25 years, standard warranties only last seven to 10 years. And this could mean that you might find that your lawn needs substantial maintenance and replacement after some time.

Third, according to the advocacy group, the surface of artificial grass can become ‘dangerously hot’ under direct sunlight. This poses a significant burn risk, particularly to young children.

Dr Sebastian Pfautsch, an Associate Professor in Urban Studies at the University of Western Sydney, explained: ‘Surface temperatures of unshaded artificial turn can reach ‘100°C on a hot day’. This can easily cause surface burns, especially for toddlers and young children.’

He added that in 2020, three toddlers sustained second-degree burns after walking barefoot over artificial grass at their childcare centre.

‘The air temperature surrounding unshaded artificial turf is significantly elevated,’ he said before adding that those who stand for long periods on unshaded turf will be exposed to higher temperatures. The person will be subjected to dehydration, heat rashes, and heat exhaustion.

‘If you have a small block with very little airflow, the turf will re-radiate stored heat into the microclimate surrounding your home, effectively heating up your house,’ he declared.
Key Takeaways

• Leading gardening groups have argued that installing a fake plastic lawn should be as socially unacceptable as blowing cigarette smoke in a baby’s face.
  • The Royal Horticultural Society, the Landscape Institute, and the Society of Garden Designers are launching a ‘Say No To Plastic Grass And Plants’ campaign.
  • Artificial lawns cause plastic pollution, create more greenhouse gases during manufacture, and risk leaching into the Earth.
Do you have a fake lawn or a natural lawn? We would love to hear what you have to say about the matter, so please tell us your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!
I can imagine it’s not good for the ecology but mowing lawns constantly isn’t either using fossil Fuels either petrol or electric and wasting water in summer. I don’t have fake grass but I hate real grass in the garden due
to the upkeep. Luckily I only have a v small patch out front that my neighbour mowed for me as I dont own a mower or snippet and can’t get a gardener for a decent price to help out

View attachment 15589

View attachment 15590

Key Takeaways

Does anyone have any thoughts on artificial decking materials. I gather they get hot as well but are easier to maintain. At my age I’m considering it

Reactions: Ricci
We have a smallish area outside my patio of fake grass and be reassured it is much better to look at than brown stubbly, not able to walk on bit of so-called lawn. Now we am about to do the patio with fake grass so I do not slip, take a nose dive, and hurt myself. No chemicals, no mowing, my kind of grass. I still have to listen to a motor mower as there is still plenty of Grass to mow, just not near my patio. As for plastic, it has its uses; for me, this is one of them.

Reactions: Ricci and Suz
We have a smallish area outside my patio of fake grass and be reassured it is much better to look at than brown stubbly, not able to walk on bit of so-called lawn. Now we am about to do the patio with fake grass so I do not slip, take a nose dive, and hurt myself. No chemicals, no mowing, my kind of grass. I still have to listen to a motor mower as there is still plenty of Grass to mow, just not near my patio. As for plastic, it has its uses; for me, this is one of them.
Have you looked at getting someone to lay down real grass and having someone cut it.

Pavers are great with lots of pot plants around

I love greenery too. I have planted heaps of trees snd bushes but hate grass. Pavers get hot, mossy and weedy between them. So still lots of maintenance

Reactions: Ezzy
Have you looked at getting someone to lay down real grass and having someone cut it.

Pavers are great with lots of pot plants around
I agree with Suzanne. Paying someone look after the lawn is money I can’t afford. I’m not weeding and fertilising. Too expensive

Reactions: Ricci
I have a very small area of lawn out the back of my place and what bugs me the most is that it grows into the flower beds much better than it does on the lawn area! I did look into having it taken up and replaced with brick paving but I couldn't find anyone to do it. Apparently the job is not big enough for a lot of companies to bother with and the small, one man bands are fully booked up for a year or more. Getting my lawn mown is part of my agreement but getting the gardeners to come and weed effectively every couple of months is almost impossible. ;)

Reactions: Ezzy
I'm one of those people. It's all well and good to say oooh, aaaah, how could you, but when you get to a certain age and are no longer able to do for yourself and can't afford to pay someone to do garden work, then that's the way it has to be. We actually don't have a garden. Our bit of green out the front is no bigger than a large trampoline. So, we fake grassed it. The verge out front has to be real grass because of council regulations. We have a narrow frontage less than 10 metres. It costs us $16 a hit to get someone to mow that. The pension only goes so far. Before bring critical, there has to some empathy for people who can no longer garden and have nobody to do it for them.
I do have things in pots, but even that is difficult to manage with all the lifting and shoving involved.
Back in my younger, healthier years, I loved gardening. Now it's a memory.

Reactions: Ezzy and Lynjw