Game-changing hack keeps avocados fresh for TWO WEEKS!

This claim has been debunked by experts, please read: New research debunks viral “avocado-in-water” hack, claims that the tip is “potentially harmful” to your health.

Link: https://seniorsdiscountclub.com.au/threads/new-research-debunks-viral-%E2%80%9Cavocado-in-[…]%80%9Cpotentially-harmful%E2%80%9D-to-your-health.3909/

While assumed to be the go-to breakfast of millenials, the humble avocado is a delish and creamy treat that is enjoyed by all sorts of people. Not only are they nutritionally abundant, but they also have a rich texture and a mild creamy flavour that goes so well with a variety of meals and dishes. Or if you can’t be bothered cooking up something to enjoy with your avo, why not just eat it on its own!

However, one caveat of the delicious fruit is that it goes bad pretty quickly. Especially when cut, where it will only take a few hours before the avocado starts to turn brown.

Thankfully, we came across this hack that has been making its way around online in the foodie community, and since it is such a game-changing hack, we couldn’t resist sharing it with our members!

In the popular Facebook group Home Cooking Australia, people have been raving about a genius trick that keeps their avocados fresh in the fridge for up to two weeks. Yes, two weeks! Sounds amazing, right?

And it’s a pretty easy and convenient trick, too. All you need to do is to submerge your whole avocados in a jar full of water.

That’s it. No magic required.

Apparently, submerging the fruit in water keeps them hydrated, allowing them to stay fresh for longer. The hack works with other water-heavy veggies as well, such as carrots and bok choy (a type of Chinese cabbage).

The post about the little-known trick was met with waves of positive comments from the members of the Facebook group, with some of them saying that they have been doing this and it “100 percent” works!

Ao2N4xQKF7kQrRDpBJStlSZz1l5oqCMXmsciWlDU05dyncM3BjsBAuY7k0HzmhSUqv-139Tit3J3UuBr6lY7MQRMUJ2cmDp40kaGTaJ7cAbyxAuiQ6I0nHpo9Wp6_quFyPN3va0q

Storing avocados in a jar of water can prolong the freshness for up to two weeks. Credit: Facebook.

If you’ve already chopped up your avo, worry not, because one mum said that this hack works with halved avocados too! However, the jar of water would only keep them fresh for a few more days, instead of a fortnight.

Or, you can also try these tricks that we have previously shared with you guys! To prevent your sliced avocados from browning, you can:
  • Store the sliced-open avocado in an airtight container with onion
  • Add lemon juice and salt to the avocado before storage
  • Leaving the stone in with smashed avocado
And now that your avocados are fresh and ready to go, why not try out some of these recipes?

Credit: Goodful.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I love all my fruit and veggies with the exception of Avocados. To me they look and taste like green slime. Why pay so much for something that is basically tasteless with a slimy mouth feel:(

I love all my fruit and veggies with the exception of Avocados. To me they look and taste like green slime. Why pay so much for something that is basically tasteless with a slimy mouth feel:(
You probably are one of the people whose sense of texture for avocadoes is not the same as most people - not to worry though - people have always something that the their texture sense goes "yuk" ... with me it is Bananas.

Reactions: Ricci
I've been doing this for years, IF there is any left over.
Drain on paper towel when ready to use.
Same goes for cut-up apple and banana....eg. if preparing to add to fresh fruit salad.....keeps it from going brown. When ready to add to fruit salad, I drain off the water and squeeze lemon juice all over it, stops it going brown in the fruit salad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bunyip and Ricci
Wait! Why is this suddenly such an incredible hack. My husband and I owned a 1400 tree avocado orchard from 1978 until 2000 when we retired to town. We always kept ripe avocados that we were keeping for our own use in a 10 litre bucket just inside the coolroom door. I thought it was common knowledge. We just always did it and didn't think it was unusual.

Never thought of avocado as green slime, made me laugh.
I enjoy it with lemon juice, and knowing it's supposed to be super good for you, I eat it.
But for cafes etc to charge exorbitant prices for avocado on toast seems to be waste of good money.

But they are one of the most HEALTHIEST fruits

Ah, there’s no accounting for taste! Personally, I love them and can eat them with a spoon. 🤣