Furious shopper slams Woolworths over 'insulting' pricing of popular kids food

Shoppers aren’t happy with Woolworths right now.

The supermarket giant has come under fire because of an outraged shopper, who accused the supermarket giant of ‘trying to gaslight’ Australians and accused Woolworths of engaging in unfair pricing practices when it comes to an Aussie favourite snack.

Sharing her frustrations on Facebook, the shopper was unhappy with the steep price tag on display for Woolworths’ Smiths Snack Mix Box. The boxes contain 20 mini packs of chips and are currently priced at $8.90 in-store and online which is significantly more expensive than competitors.

BIG W has the same multi-pack variety priced at $6.50. Coles previously held the same price as BIG W, but is now selling the snack mix box at the same price tag as Woolies.

smiths.jpg
Woolworths was accused of ‘gaslighting’ customers. Credit: Woolworths

In her post, the shopper was unhappy with the price she saw on display during her grocery run.

‘Low price of $8.90? Please stop trying to gaslight us, Woolworths!’ She wrote.

In June last year, it’s believed that the packs were priced at $5.75.

A spokesperson from Woolworths told reporters that the store is committed to offering ‘deals’ to give customers value for their money.

‘We remain focused on maximising value for our customers and recently reduced the price of more than 300 summer grocery staples as part of our Prices Dropped campaign, on top of the 5000 specials we offer every week,’ they claimed.

smiths2.jpg
This photo was attached to the shopper’s post. Credit: Facebook

The spokesperson added that their deals included a number of Smiths Chips Packs (175g packs) whose prices have dropped to $2.50.

‘The Prices Dropped for Summer campaign will run until February 21, 2023,’ they continued.

Food pricing is as much of an art as it is a science, as supermarkets try to balance making a profit while still appealing to their customers. One tactic used by supermarkets is to market foods as being a 'low price', which can make shoppers feel as if they are getting a bargain, even if the price is higher than what is available elsewhere.

This is known as ‘psychological pricing’, or a strategy to influence a customer’s spending habits to make higher value sales. It plays on the fact that consumers rarely know what something should cost. This is why price comparison check-ins should be done whenever you’re buying groceries. However, not everyone has enough time to run a thorough check.

Psychological pricing also relies on simple changes that trick the brain. For example, a store can decrease $12 by a cent (to $11.99) and the brain will register this as closer to $11 and not $12.

It's important to do some research before you shop to make sure you're getting the best value for your money.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths customers have accused the supermarket giant of trying ‘to gaslight’ Australians over the price of a popular Aussie snack.
  • The Smiths Snack Mix Box is priced at $8.90, which is significantly higher than competitors such as BIG W, who have the packs priced at $6.50.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson has said that the supermarket is committed to offering deals across its entire range and has recently reduced the price of more than 300 summer grocery staples as part of its Prices Dropped campaign.
Members, what are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricci and Daiki San
Sponsored
The power is in your hands. The key measure of supermarkets is return per square metre. If it’s too dear, dont buy it and then complain. Supermarkets are no different to politicians, they’ll say anything and after awhile they can do it with a straight face.

The supermarket giant has come under fire because of an outraged shopper, who accused the supermarket giant of ‘trying to gaslight’ Australians and accused Woolworths of engaging in unfair pricing practices when it comes to an Aussie favourite snack.

Sharing her frustrations on Facebook, the shopper was unhappy with the steep price tag on display for Woolworths’ Smiths Snack Mix Box. The boxes contain 20 mini packs of chips and are currently priced at $8.90 in-store and online which is significantly more expensive than competitors.

BIG W has the same multi-pack variety priced at $6.50. Coles previously held the same price as BIG W, but is now selling the snack mix box at the same price tag as Woolies.

View attachment 11459

In her post, the shopper was unhappy with the price she saw on display during her grocery run.

A spokesperson from Woolworths told reporters that the store is committed to offering ‘deals’ to give customers value for their money.

‘We remain focused on maximising value for our customers and recently reduced the price of more than 300 summer grocery staples as part of our Prices Dropped campaign, on top of the 5000 specials we offer every week,’ they claimed.

View attachment 11460

The spokesperson added that their deals included a number of Smiths Chips Packs (175g packs) whose prices have dropped to $2.50.

‘The Prices Dropped for Summer campaign will run until February 21, 2023,’ they continued.

Food pricing is as much of an art as it is a science, as supermarkets try to balance making a profit while still appealing to their customers. One tactic used by supermarkets is to market foods as being a 'low price', which can make shoppers feel as if they are getting a bargain, even if the price is higher than what is available elsewhere.

This is known as ‘psychological pricing’, or a strategy to influence a customer’s spending habits to make higher value sales. It plays on the fact that consumers rarely know what something should cost. This is why price comparison check-ins should be done whenever you’re buying groceries. However, not everyone has enough time to run a thorough check.

Psychological pricing also relies on simple changes that trick the brain. For example, a store can decrease $12 by a cent (to $11.99) and the brain will register this as closer to $11 and not $12.

It's important to do some research before you shop to make sure you're getting the best value for your money.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths customers have accused the supermarket giant of trying ‘to gaslight’ Australians over the price of a popular Aussie snack.
  • The Smiths Snack Mix Box is priced at $8.90, which is significantly higher than competitors such as BIG W, who have the packs priced at $6.50.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson has said that the supermarket is committed to offering deals across its entire range and has recently reduced the price of more than 300 summer grocery staples as part of its Prices Dropped campaign.
I live in a small rural town in northern Tasmania where we don't have the two major supermarkets , only Woollies , and some of my favorite treats have
increased by at least 50 to 70 percent and they run out of the basics early sometimes , due to poor delivery times with the trucks , and sometimes slow
staff in restocking shelves . Too many smoke breaks and too many chatting in the aisles to their freinds , or co- workers when they are supposed to be
working , so I'm switching to Coles and do the drive into the bigger town 40 minutes each way and a fortnightly shop . Also customers using the Disabled or Taxi and Mothers Pram Parks when they are fully grown adults and not even a crib in sight . Same with the disabled parks , they use them to just nip in for their smokes or something small and gone again 10 minutes later , with the tag still swinging from the rear view mirror . The rules are on the side facing them . Remove when driving , use only when the person it is issued for is in the vehicle OR , my pet peeve , shopping all loaded up , and they are having a chat leaning on the front bonnet of their car whilst me is right beside them , motor running and completely
oblivious of anyone else needing to park there . For me it is a real help if one is free as I can't walk a long way due to injuries serving my country , and by the time I have done the lap of the supermarket I'm in real pain . I always reverse park everywhere , as it is safer when trying to get out of the car park , but Miss " I'm in a hurry " doesn't like to be kept waiting , and I get a long horn blast as she, or he goes past . In japan that's the way we are taught to park and it's a lot safer , the amount of times I have seen little children almost run over because the driver cannot see the little ones or does not have a Reversing Camera and Mum is too busy having a chat to someone whilst walking to the car never ceases to amaze me . A few minutes extra care when parking may save a life , something that is not repairable or replaceable either . I know Australia is a laid back country but little lives and us Vets also matter . That's me Dollar's worth for today . Bye now .

View attachment 11459

View attachment 11460

Key Takeaways

I check Coles ,Woolworths ,ALDI and IGA Specials each week then shop at each one when passing during the week. I’m aware of prices as most people and make sure I’m not getting ripped off.

Reactions: Macarj and Ricci
Talk about Woolies "gaslighting"! I get notified each week via Everyday Rewards of specials. In today's group, 400g Pistachio Nuts are presented as a special at $9.00, save $2.00. This price has been the shelf price for the last 4 weeks, down from $11 previously. In fact, at my local store a couple of weeks ago, I informed the staff that their ticket price of $11 was wrong and didn't match what another nearby store displayed.
Having thought a bit more about it, it's not gaslighting, it's fraud.

Last edited:
I live in a small rural town in northern Tasmania where we don't have the two major supermarkets , only Woollies , and some of my favorite treats have
increased by at least 50 to 70 percent and they run out of the basics early sometimes , due to poor delivery times with the trucks , and sometimes slow
staff in restocking shelves . Too many smoke breaks and too many chatting in the aisles to their freinds , or co- workers when they are supposed to be
working , so I'm switching to Coles and do the drive into the bigger town 40 minutes each way and a fortnightly shop . Also customers using the Disabled or Taxi and Mothers Pram Parks when they are fully grown adults and not even a crib in sight . Same with the disabled parks , they use them to just nip in for their smokes or something small and gone again 10 minutes later , with the tag still swinging from the rear view mirror . The rules are on the side facing them . Remove when driving , use only when the person it is issued for is in the vehicle OR , my pet peeve , shopping all loaded up , and they are having a chat leaning on the front bonnet of their car whilst me is right beside them , motor running and completely
oblivious of anyone else needing to park there . For me it is a real help if one is free as I can't walk a long way due to injuries serving my country , and by the time I have done the lap of the supermarket I'm in real pain . I always reverse park everywhere , as it is safer when trying to get out of the car park , but Miss " I'm in a hurry " doesn't like to be kept waiting , and I get a long horn blast as she, or he goes past . In japan that's the way we are taught to park and it's a lot safer , the amount of times I have seen little children almost run over because the driver cannot see the little ones or does not have a Reversing Camera and Mum is too busy having a chat to someone whilst walking to the car never ceases to amaze me . A few minutes extra care when parking may save a life , something that is not repairable or replaceable either . I know Australia is a laid back country but little lives and us Vets also matter . That's me Dollar's worth for today . Bye now .
That's more than a dollar's worth!

View attachment 11459

View attachment 11460

Key Takeaways

Last dot-point usually slow moving or niche items. Another of their well let's call it gouging of prices on a staple is the common frozen chip. Now we know that older spuds are better chip makers so there are thousands of tons in storage worldwide. how come they have not used those instead of raising prices by nearly 50% It they Safeways can as a few years ago ship baked beans from Sudi Arabia then why can't they ship (chips or) spuds from overseas. will we ever see the $2 bag of frozen chips again