Frustrated with Centrelink call wait times? MP investigates why they're skyrocketing!

In the current economic climate, many Australians have become particularly financially vulnerable. The market is tough enough now, let alone if you’re retired or out of work and relying on Centrelink for vital support.

The government has already implemented specific measures to aid those who are struggling, such as the Jobseeker supplement, but unfortunately, many people still face challenges.

The call wait time is much higher now than it was prior to the global pandemic – and listening to an endless loop of repetitive music for a few extra minutes might be the difference between life and death in some situations.

But Casey MP Aaron Violi is determined to rectify this.

The local MP is taking action, launching an investigation and demanding answers from the federal government.

Recently, the cost-of-living crisis has spiked the need for welfare payments, making Centrelink an essential service needed now more than ever. However, this increasing demand has led to significant delays across the board.

centre1.jpg
A local MP investigates why Centrelink call times are skyrocketing. Credit: Shutterstock

During a senate hearing on 31 May, it was revealed that Centrelink call wait times had ballooned from an average of 14 minutes in 2021 to 2022 to a staggering 20 minutes in 2023.

Services Australia CEO Rebecca Skinner explained that until 31 March 2023, only 60.4 per cent of Centrelink customers were served within 15 minutes.

It has been revealed that the issue stems from a staff shortage available to answer all those ringing phones.

She highlighted that ‘the current staffing is about 400 under the average staffing level for this year’.

‘The cap is 28,560 ASL for the 2022-23 financial year, and we were at about 28,151 at the end of 30 March. We are just a bit higher than that now as we’ve entered the final part of the financial year,’ she continued.

In a report made earlier this year, Ms Skinner acknowledged that the increased demand for Centrelink services was also partly due to the changing economic circumstances.

centre2.jpg
Centrelink’s CEO acknowledged the issue. Credit: Shutterstock

Centrelink's Older Australians line, which can be reached at 132 300, has an average wait time of 24 minutes and 18 seconds as of December 31, 2022. You can read more on this here.

Mr Violi isn't taking this situation lightly. According to reports, he submitted questions to the Minister for Government Services, Bill Shorten, requesting official data on wait times and how long it's taking for locals to get the help they need when they make a claim or visit a Centrelink office.

The questions will formally appear on the notice paper of the senate estimate hearing that’s happening on Tuesday, 13 June.

Mr Violi mentioned his experience with constituents: ‘I have met with constituents and regularly have calls to my office regarding Centrelink payment delays. Whether it be delays processing Youth Allowance, JobSeeker, delays in updating databases with new information or long periods on hold.’

It's crucial that Centrelink addresses this issue, especially amidst the cost-of-living crisis. Mr Violi applauded the hard work of the staff at Services Australia but emphasised the need for further data to identify how widespread these delays are and determine if additional resources are needed.

‘We simply cannot have people waiting weeks for a payment in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis,’ he stated.

Waiting for Centrelink payments can cause extreme hardship for many.

Tania Bevan, CEO of the Dandenong Ranges Emergency Relief Service (DRERS), a not-for-profit organisation assisting those facing crises, points out that ‘70 per cent [of people] are on Centrelink, 26 per cent have no income, and four per cent are on other income such as Workcover. Some of the 26 per cent are waiting for Centrelink payments to begin, so the numbers are high’.

‘I would like to see everyone eligible for Centrelink payments transition to receiving these payments as quickly as possible.’

Shadow Minister for Government Services, Paul Fletcher, believes Australians deserve seamless, simple and safe service delivery from the government.

He stated: 'The federal government must ensure people are spending less time on the phone or in a queue at Centrelink and more time in a job.’

‘Unfortunately, Labor’s track record isn’t great – in February this year, it was revealed that over 2.1 million Australians chose to terminate a call rather than wait on the phone to Centrelink. But there also needs to be a strong focus on enhancing digital platforms like MyGov, so more Australians can access vital information at their fingertips,’ he added.
Key Takeaways
  • Centrelink call wait times have increased from an average of 14 minutes in 2021 to 2022 to 20 minutes in 2023.
  • Casey MP Aaron Violi is calling on the federal government to provide official data on call times and Centrelink office visits to determine the scope of the issue.
  • Shadow Minister for Government Services, Paul Fletcher, emphasised the need for enhanced digital platforms like MyGov to improve access to essential information for Australians.
Have you dealt with the long call wait times when contacting Centrelink? Please share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I applied for my Age Pension on the 10th March. I have submitted everything they wanted, mind you, I don't have my own home, properties or shares, just my bank accounts and Super which all of are a not very much in the scheme of things. I am still waiting.... I have been to see them 3 times at my local Centrelink office and the keep telling me that it is still in progress. I get emails roughly every 10 days tell me the same thing. I rang them the other day and the lady confirmed the same thing. :-( She spoke to her Manager and it was agreed that they would get it into the processing department to get sorted out. Still nothing. 6 weeks they say is roughly the longest it takes. Hmmmm CLEARLY NOT! It has now been 3 months, 13 weeks. :-( It is doing my head in having to use my small amount of savings. I'm very careful with my money and don't go over my weekly limit I give myself but then things crop up and into the savings I have to go. :-(

Reactions: Sonny9
In the current economic climate, many Australians have become particularly financially vulnerable. The market is tough enough now, let alone if you’re retired or out of work and relying on Centrelink for vital support.

The government has already implemented specific measures to aid those who are struggling, such as the Jobseeker supplement, but unfortunately, many people still face challenges.

The call wait time is much higher now than it was prior to the global pandemic – and listening to an endless loop of repetitive music for a few extra minutes might be the difference between life and death in some situations.

The local MP is taking action, launching an investigation and demanding answers from the federal government.

Recently, the cost-of-living crisis has spiked the need for welfare payments, making Centrelink an essential service needed now more than ever. However, this increasing demand has led to significant delays across the board.

View attachment 21898
A local MP investigates why Centrelink call times are skyrocketing. Credit: Shutterstock

During a senate hearing on 31 May, it was revealed that Centrelink call wait times had ballooned from an average of 14 minutes in 2021 to 2022 to a staggering 20 minutes in 2023.

Services Australia CEO Rebecca Skinner explained that until 31 March 2023, only 60.4 per cent of Centrelink customers were served within 15 minutes.

It has been revealed that the issue stems from a staff shortage available to answer all those ringing phones.

She highlighted that ‘the current staffing is about 400 under the average staffing level for this year’.

‘The cap is 28,560 ASL for the 2022-23 financial year, and we were at about 28,151 at the end of 30 March. We are just a bit higher than that now as we’ve entered the final part of the financial year,’ she continued.

In a report made earlier this year, Ms Skinner acknowledged that the increased demand for Centrelink services was also partly due to the changing economic circumstances.

View attachment 21899

Centrelink's Older Australians line, which can be reached at 132 300, has an average wait time of 24 minutes and 18 seconds as of December 31, 2022. You can read more on this here.

Mr Violi isn't taking this situation lightly. According to reports, he submitted questions to the Minister for Government Services, Bill Shorten, requesting official data on wait times and how long it's taking for locals to get the help they need when they make a claim or visit a Centrelink office.

The questions will formally appear on the notice paper of the senate estimate hearing that’s happening on Tuesday, 13 June.

Mr Violi mentioned his experience with constituents: ‘I have met with constituents and regularly have calls to my office regarding Centrelink payment delays. Whether it be delays processing Youth Allowance, JobSeeker, delays in updating databases with new information or long periods on hold.’

It's crucial that Centrelink addresses this issue, especially amidst the cost-of-living crisis. Mr Violi applauded the hard work of the staff at Services Australia but emphasised the need for further data to identify how widespread these delays are and determine if additional resources are needed.

‘We simply cannot have people waiting weeks for a payment in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis,’ he stated.

Tania Bevan, CEO of the Dandenong Ranges Emergency Relief Service (DRERS), a not-for-profit organisation assisting those facing crises, points out that ‘70 per cent [of people] are on Centrelink, 26 per cent have no income, and four per cent are on other income such as Workcover. Some of the 26 per cent are waiting for Centrelink payments to begin, so the numbers are high’.

‘I would like to see everyone eligible for Centrelink payments transition to receiving these payments as quickly as possible.’

Shadow Minister for Government Services, Paul Fletcher, believes Australians deserve seamless, simple and safe service delivery from the government.

He stated: 'The federal government must ensure people are spending less time on the phone or in a queue at Centrelink and more time in a job.’

‘Unfortunately, Labor’s track record isn’t great – in February this year, it was revealed that over 2.1 million Australians chose to terminate a call rather than wait on the phone to Centrelink. But there also needs to be a strong focus on enhancing digital platforms like MyGov, so more Australians can access vital information at their fingertips,’ he added.
Key Takeaways

• Centrelink call wait times have increased from an average of 14 minutes in 2021 to 2022 to 20 minutes in 2023.
  • Casey MP Aaron Violi is calling on the federal government to provide official data on call times and Centrelink office visits to determine the scope of the issue.
  • Shadow Minister for Government Services, Paul Fletcher, emphasised the need for enhanced digital platforms like MyGov to improve access to essential information for Australians.
Have you dealt with the long call wait times when contacting Centrelink? Please share your experiences in the comments below.
My son's partner has just had their 1stbchild 4 weeks ago, paperwork was got from the hospital for Centrelink who have lost it after it had been lodged. The hospital cannot issue any more paperwork that is required as Centrelink only accept originals. So, they have had no entitlements for 4 weeks now. After twice in one day of waiting on hold with Centrelink for 90 plus minutes the phone line just cut out. Too bad if they cannot pay the rent or feed a newborn baby thanks to Centrlinks mismanagement of paperwork. I suggested they go to the Ombudsman

I applied for my Age Pension on the 10th March. I have submitted everything they wanted, mind you, I don't have my own home, properties or shares, just my bank accounts and Super which all of are a not very much in the scheme of things. I am still waiting.... I have been to see them 3 times at my local Centrelink office and the keep telling me that it is still in progress. I get emails roughly every 10 days tell me the same thing. I rang them the other day and the lady confirmed the same thing. :-( She spoke to her Manager and it was agreed that they would get it into the processing department to get sorted out. Still nothing. 6 weeks they say is roughly the longest it takes. Hmmmm CLEARLY NOT! It has now been 3 months, 13 weeks. :-( It is doing my head in having to use my small amount of savings. I'm very careful with my money and don't go over my weekly limit I give myself but then things crop up and into the savings I have to go. :-(
Hopefully you'll get it done soon 🙏

I have always updated our details online except for 1 bank account which I can't do online. I have for years phoned Centrelink to update this account with no problems. UNTIL NOW. The phone message line has changed and is automated, if you are not wanting one of the options they give you they just hang up. THIS IS EXTREMELY RUDE AND DISRESPECTFUL. I now have to travel to Centrelink only to be told I have to make an appointment for another time - DISGUSTING.

Reactions: Linwar and Sonny9
I have always updated our details online except for 1 bank account which I can't do online. I have for years phoned Centrelink to update this account with no problems. UNTIL NOW. The phone message line has changed and is automated, if you are not wanting one of the options they give you they just hang up. THIS IS EXTREMELY RUDE AND DISRESPECTFUL. I now have to travel to Centrelink only to be told I have to make an appointment for another time - DISGUSTING.
Absolutely 💯 true

I have tried to contact centrelink by phone and on multiple occasions I got the recording "we are busy call back later" if I don't get that I can budget on waiting at least 15mins mostly around 30 to 45 minutes is the normal.

I am sure this is an underhanded way of diverting clients (yes, we are clients), to internet find a fix method (good luck with that). FAQ is as useful as you know what on a bull.
Whilst I don't mind accessing every day stuff online, sometimes you need a real person to talk to.
This is not only when you contact them by phone.
We had to go to centrelink office to deal with an issue concerning the passing of my mother-in-law. We were in a queue reaching out the door and someone came by with an Ipad. What do you want..etc. We were then ferried over to the telephones and told to ring from there.
No surprise, we waited, and waited, and waited. Also, I had to use my own I.D. because I didnt know that of the person who passed. You don't need to be surprised when the person on the other end said she can't help with that because I don't have permission to deal with that person's private business. I repeated, she has passed away...duuuh. So, phone section said go back to the office queue....it was like groundhog day.
Actually, that experience made me less likely to seek help face to face, however, I know that that can lead to problems if you don't know what you are doing online. It's a circus.

waiting times of 24 minutes? I wish! Usually between 45 and 80 min!!! But the worst thing: I went overseas, informed them the day before my flight and reported my income as I have to do every fortnight. Came home to a letter from Centrelink that 5hey had cancelled my pension as well as my concession card as I did not report my income!!! sure enough: no money in my account! Letters from AGL that my discounts for gas and electricity had been cancelled as I had no valid concession card, coukdnt renew my drivers licence (expired the day of my return), etc.... now I cam3 back on a Saturday, so obviously coukdnt contact Centrelink! I had receipt n7mbers for all my report calls, which I gave them and asked 5hem to reinstall everyhing straight away! But no, they had to mail it all out to me which woukd take 5-10 business days!!! Their advice: dont fly out on the day you re supposed to report! Fly out a few days before!!! no apologies for their mistake, they just put it all on me!!!

Even working for a State Govt department with regular contact with DHS through a special number, waiting times are well in excess of an hour ten minutes. Trying to contact the Aged Care Team has only brought 'All our agents are busy. Please call back later', which is less than helpful. In trying get through for the last 5 weeks, this is the only message I have got.

• Sad
Reactions: DrivingGirl

View attachment 21898

View attachment 21899

Key Takeaways

I recently , earlier this week, rang re a Centrelink advance. I waited 25 minutes then spoke to a delightful young man, who was patient, helpful and knowledgeable. After getting my advance sorted, we realised it wouldn't be through in time for my medical needs. He transferred me to Older Australians dept, to arrange an urgent pension payment advance.
At this point, I had been on the phone approximately 40 minutes.
I then went into the queue again..... Another 24 minut wait.
After a discussion with another lovely chap, it was ascertained that I ought to have been out through to the Urgent Payment line.....
Another transfer........
Another wait.......

Each person, with whom I spoke, was helpful and pleasant.
We finally came to an arrangement, that allowed me to attend my appointments, 400k away and have accommodation secured.

Thanks to the wonderful, overworked staff, I maintained my calm......
Or, regained it, would be closer to the truth. Waiting on line, for such long periods of time, is frustrating to say the least and when you are anxious and stressed, it is very hard to cope with. I lost nearly 2 hours of my day.

The Government needs to fund he staffing levels that are required.
EVERY time one calls a help line, one gets the recorded message.. "we are experiencing an unusual number of calls ...blah. Blah...blah.

When it is EVERY time you call, it is NOT unusual.
Where did that "average" waiting time of a "staggering" 20 minutes come

I try to avoid ringing Centrelink, I agree, wait times are an hour or longer. I prefer to go in person, seems more proactive to talk to someone face to face. A most frustrating organisation to have to deal with.
Recently my nephew had a new baby plus 2 young children. He was on parental leave with no money coming through from Centrelink for weeks. The whole family went in to explain their situation and it still took weeks for them to get a payment. Not even any money for food. Disgraceful!!
The only problem with going to Centrelink in person is, that they don't want to (or won't) sort out your problem. They tell you to go home and do it online. Unfortunately, not all people (especially older people) are computer literate or do not have access to a computer. Even then, the site is not always easy to navigate. I can do it, but not everyone can.

View attachment 21898

View attachment 21899

Key Takeaways

Yes it's always that way trying to talk to Centrelink. The only way that I know to get answers is going up there myself (at a time it's not usually busy) and waiting to see a Centrelink person. If you didn't live near one though, it would be long waits on the phone all the time. This is obviously a staff shortage, as is the staffing at the Centres, and should be addressed urgently. People vote with their feelings for the present Party, and it will affect that Party's votes for sure. Maybe they should be made to see this?
I have found the wait time well exceed an hour. Then if your call is disconnected and you attempt to call back you get a recorded message. Saying we know you have been trying to call we experiencing a high volume of calls........... with the call again disconnected and this continues to happen throughout the day and on one occasion this was the response I got the next day as well. I did finally get my call answered but had to use my partners phone. Numbers are recorded and if the same number makes multiple attempts to make contact your number is looped to the recorded message over and over again. I don’t blame the staff but it is very stressful as most calls to centrelink are income related and for the caller it is of high importance and for some urgent and could be the difference between being able to pay bills and buy food. For me I wanted to avoid an overpayment because the reporting app failed.

I also have been waiting for three months for my pension application to be processed, I submitted it in the beginning of March, first they gave me a time frame of 9/5 then went to the 20/5, now nothing. I call at 8am in the morning as advised and wait for two hours for the age care department to answer, and all they say it is being processed, I only have a small amount of savings which I am going through very quickly. I have been to the centerlink office and all they tell me is that I have to call, I don't understand why they can't get on the phone while you are there and speak to the people that are processing the application and find out what the problem is, they are all supposed to work together. If they are short, staffed hire more people, as there are plenty of people out of work.
If the MP is frustrated, she needs to be on this side.

I have had the unfortunate need to contact Centrelink in the last couple of weeks. The wait times on the phone are an hour and a half at minimum every time. I decided to go to the office of Centrelink at Murray Bridge, well that was the biggest mistake of my life. The service was absolutely appalling, and the Manager was even worse. The government definitely needs to look into the running of Centrelink. Good luck to anyone that needs to deal with them face to face, they really need to brush up on their people skills.

I have had the unfortunate need to contact Centrelink in the last couple of weeks. The wait times on the phone are an hour and a half at minimum every time. I decided to go to the office of Centrelink at Murray Bridge, well that was the biggest mistake of my life. The service was absolutely appalling, and the Manager was even worse. The government definitely needs to look into the running of Centrelink. Good luck to anyone that needs to deal with them face to face, they really need to brush up on their people skills.
You must have an appointment now but it’s almost impossible to get through on the phone to make one. I tried to over the counter and was told I had to call they do not book appointments. When I raised this I was told it’s the same for everyone you will have to call then the customer service offices just called out next when I tried to speak again he ignored me called the person who was lined up behind me to come forward forcing me to leave.

All Government departments are too stingy to train & employ enough people to man their phones. Think of the amount of older Australians they could train & employ to do this task. The older people would be more sympathetic to everyone's situation & a kind word here & there can help far more than telling someone that if they hang up they will not lose their place in the queue which is a lot of BS. This is what I have been told in my dealings with one or another branch of Government services.
Yes Nana, all so true.I went for a job for Telstra Call Centre at age 50ish , and the amount of testing this and that about you, your typing speed, and "How you would answer this call fom an angry customer", using headphones I had to explain and answer questions, about 20 if I recall. Young ones were of course picked and now we have a shortage of call centres because young ones employed left or sacked as they had no empathy, or just said I will get back to you lol. No conversational skills as we have due to life.

Reactions: Linwar