Frustrated with Centrelink call wait times? MP investigates why they're skyrocketing!

In the current economic climate, many Australians have become particularly financially vulnerable. The market is tough enough now, let alone if you’re retired or out of work and relying on Centrelink for vital support.

The government has already implemented specific measures to aid those who are struggling, such as the Jobseeker supplement, but unfortunately, many people still face challenges.

The call wait time is much higher now than it was prior to the global pandemic – and listening to an endless loop of repetitive music for a few extra minutes might be the difference between life and death in some situations.

But Casey MP Aaron Violi is determined to rectify this.

The local MP is taking action, launching an investigation and demanding answers from the federal government.

Recently, the cost-of-living crisis has spiked the need for welfare payments, making Centrelink an essential service needed now more than ever. However, this increasing demand has led to significant delays across the board.

centre1.jpg
A local MP investigates why Centrelink call times are skyrocketing. Credit: Shutterstock

During a senate hearing on 31 May, it was revealed that Centrelink call wait times had ballooned from an average of 14 minutes in 2021 to 2022 to a staggering 20 minutes in 2023.

Services Australia CEO Rebecca Skinner explained that until 31 March 2023, only 60.4 per cent of Centrelink customers were served within 15 minutes.

It has been revealed that the issue stems from a staff shortage available to answer all those ringing phones.

She highlighted that ‘the current staffing is about 400 under the average staffing level for this year’.

‘The cap is 28,560 ASL for the 2022-23 financial year, and we were at about 28,151 at the end of 30 March. We are just a bit higher than that now as we’ve entered the final part of the financial year,’ she continued.

In a report made earlier this year, Ms Skinner acknowledged that the increased demand for Centrelink services was also partly due to the changing economic circumstances.

centre2.jpg
Centrelink’s CEO acknowledged the issue. Credit: Shutterstock

Centrelink's Older Australians line, which can be reached at 132 300, has an average wait time of 24 minutes and 18 seconds as of December 31, 2022. You can read more on this here.

Mr Violi isn't taking this situation lightly. According to reports, he submitted questions to the Minister for Government Services, Bill Shorten, requesting official data on wait times and how long it's taking for locals to get the help they need when they make a claim or visit a Centrelink office.

The questions will formally appear on the notice paper of the senate estimate hearing that’s happening on Tuesday, 13 June.

Mr Violi mentioned his experience with constituents: ‘I have met with constituents and regularly have calls to my office regarding Centrelink payment delays. Whether it be delays processing Youth Allowance, JobSeeker, delays in updating databases with new information or long periods on hold.’

It's crucial that Centrelink addresses this issue, especially amidst the cost-of-living crisis. Mr Violi applauded the hard work of the staff at Services Australia but emphasised the need for further data to identify how widespread these delays are and determine if additional resources are needed.

‘We simply cannot have people waiting weeks for a payment in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis,’ he stated.

Waiting for Centrelink payments can cause extreme hardship for many.

Tania Bevan, CEO of the Dandenong Ranges Emergency Relief Service (DRERS), a not-for-profit organisation assisting those facing crises, points out that ‘70 per cent [of people] are on Centrelink, 26 per cent have no income, and four per cent are on other income such as Workcover. Some of the 26 per cent are waiting for Centrelink payments to begin, so the numbers are high’.

‘I would like to see everyone eligible for Centrelink payments transition to receiving these payments as quickly as possible.’

Shadow Minister for Government Services, Paul Fletcher, believes Australians deserve seamless, simple and safe service delivery from the government.

He stated: 'The federal government must ensure people are spending less time on the phone or in a queue at Centrelink and more time in a job.’

‘Unfortunately, Labor’s track record isn’t great – in February this year, it was revealed that over 2.1 million Australians chose to terminate a call rather than wait on the phone to Centrelink. But there also needs to be a strong focus on enhancing digital platforms like MyGov, so more Australians can access vital information at their fingertips,’ he added.
Key Takeaways
  • Centrelink call wait times have increased from an average of 14 minutes in 2021 to 2022 to 20 minutes in 2023.
  • Casey MP Aaron Violi is calling on the federal government to provide official data on call times and Centrelink office visits to determine the scope of the issue.
  • Shadow Minister for Government Services, Paul Fletcher, emphasised the need for enhanced digital platforms like MyGov to improve access to essential information for Australians.
Have you dealt with the long call wait times when contacting Centrelink? Please share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I try to avoid ringing Centrelink, I agree, wait times are an hour or longer. I prefer to go in person, seems more proactive to talk to someone face to face. A most frustrating organisation to have to deal with.
Recently my nephew had a new baby plus 2 young children. He was on parental leave with no money coming through from Centrelink for weeks. The whole family went in to explain their situation and it still took weeks for them to get a payment. Not even any money for food. Disgraceful!

Isn't it a requirement to set up an appointment for a face-to-face meeting at a Centrelink branch?

Centrelink is a joke run by incompetent. run by public servants. Who simply do not care about the stress & worry caused to the ordinary person? Iam an aged pensioner my wife is unable to retire? age related 67 she is 65 She along with all state government employees received a once of cost-of-living bonus of $2,000. in December2022 as required I reported this payment on the date due via the my gov phone report income having pushed submit I then received my fortnightly No pension no money no explanation as to how long pension payment of $0.00. I tried their very Non courteous telephone numbers but after 1hour.45 listening to crape I hung up I then sent emails no response I went to the centerlink office where a lady did say she would help sort it out making an appointment she asked me to take in relevant paperwork I attended the office for the appointment but unfortunately, she was unavailable, so I was directed to. Another centerlink person I explained all the above gave him the papers required. He said I do not need these it is all on the computer. He then told me I would Not be getting any pension. For approximately 3months I left gutted but he called me back asking for the papers he then said he needed to photo copy them & send off I gave them to him . On Thursday I received a phone call from a very well-spoken lady who was acting for Bill Shorten's office I told her all the above she then said she would contact me shortly an appointment was made for me to see the centerlink lady I saw first visit on the following Friday she did apologies for the other person who was not Australian whose English was poor. She then fixed my pension so that I was to receive a lower fortnightly amount. All this above caused my wife & I to argue over Christmas so yes, I believe that centerlink is run by some people whose jobs are safe & who do seem to care I refer to the public elected ministers. as being in competent, Un caring ,& useless I have asked to speak with some of our elected public servants on occasions. over a coffee but they all seem to lack duty of care or basic customer service skills.

Reactions: Sonny9
In the current economic climate, many Australians have become particularly financially vulnerable. The market is tough enough now, let alone if you’re retired or out of work and relying on Centrelink for vital support.

The government has already implemented specific measures to aid those who are struggling, such as the Jobseeker supplement, but unfortunately, many people still face challenges.

The call wait time is much higher now than it was prior to the global pandemic – and listening to an endless loop of repetitive music for a few extra minutes might be the difference between life and death in some situations.

The local MP is taking action, launching an investigation and demanding answers from the federal government.

Recently, the cost-of-living crisis has spiked the need for welfare payments, making Centrelink an essential service needed now more than ever. However, this increasing demand has led to significant delays across the board.

View attachment 21898
A local MP investigates why Centrelink call times are skyrocketing. Credit: Shutterstock

During a senate hearing on 31 May, it was revealed that Centrelink call wait times had ballooned from an average of 14 minutes in 2021 to 2022 to a staggering 20 minutes in 2023.

Services Australia CEO Rebecca Skinner explained that until 31 March 2023, only 60.4 per cent of Centrelink customers were served within 15 minutes.

It has been revealed that the issue stems from a staff shortage available to answer all those ringing phones.

She highlighted that ‘the current staffing is about 400 under the average staffing level for this year’.

‘The cap is 28,560 ASL for the 2022-23 financial year, and we were at about 28,151 at the end of 30 March. We are just a bit higher than that now as we’ve entered the final part of the financial year,’ she continued.

In a report made earlier this year, Ms Skinner acknowledged that the increased demand for Centrelink services was also partly due to the changing economic circumstances.

View attachment 21899

Centrelink's Older Australians line, which can be reached at 132 300, has an average wait time of 24 minutes and 18 seconds as of December 31, 2022. You can read more on this here.

Mr Violi isn't taking this situation lightly. According to reports, he submitted questions to the Minister for Government Services, Bill Shorten, requesting official data on wait times and how long it's taking for locals to get the help they need when they make a claim or visit a Centrelink office.

The questions will formally appear on the notice paper of the senate estimate hearing that’s happening on Tuesday, 13 June.

Mr Violi mentioned his experience with constituents: ‘I have met with constituents and regularly have calls to my office regarding Centrelink payment delays. Whether it be delays processing Youth Allowance, JobSeeker, delays in updating databases with new information or long periods on hold.’

It's crucial that Centrelink addresses this issue, especially amidst the cost-of-living crisis. Mr Violi applauded the hard work of the staff at Services Australia but emphasised the need for further data to identify how widespread these delays are and determine if additional resources are needed.

‘We simply cannot have people waiting weeks for a payment in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis,’ he stated.

Tania Bevan, CEO of the Dandenong Ranges Emergency Relief Service (DRERS), a not-for-profit organisation assisting those facing crises, points out that ‘70 per cent [of people] are on Centrelink, 26 per cent have no income, and four per cent are on other income such as Workcover. Some of the 26 per cent are waiting for Centrelink payments to begin, so the numbers are high’.

‘I would like to see everyone eligible for Centrelink payments transition to receiving these payments as quickly as possible.’

Shadow Minister for Government Services, Paul Fletcher, believes Australians deserve seamless, simple and safe service delivery from the government.

He stated: 'The federal government must ensure people are spending less time on the phone or in a queue at Centrelink and more time in a job.’

‘Unfortunately, Labor’s track record isn’t great – in February this year, it was revealed that over 2.1 million Australians chose to terminate a call rather than wait on the phone to Centrelink. But there also needs to be a strong focus on enhancing digital platforms like MyGov, so more Australians can access vital information at their fingertips,’ he added.
Key Takeaways

• Centrelink call wait times have increased from an average of 14 minutes in 2021 to 2022 to 20 minutes in 2023.
  • Casey MP Aaron Violi is calling on the federal government to provide official data on call times and Centrelink office visits to determine the scope of the issue.
  • Shadow Minister for Government Services, Paul Fletcher, emphasised the need for enhanced digital platforms like MyGov to improve access to essential information for Australians.
Have you dealt with the long call wait times when contacting Centrelink? Please share your experiences in the comments below.
20 minutes? We wish. Try 45+ minutes.

Reactions: Milica

View attachment 21898

View attachment 21899

Key Takeaways

Where did they pluck those figures from ?? 14 mins wait .. 20 mins wait ?
I'm rural Victoria, last three times I had call Centrelink re payments.. first time I was on hold for over an hour.. second time I hung up after near on an hr.. third time was over 20 mins & that was on Seniors 132300 .... but like everyone else trying to call It's been same for many yrs now & subjected to boring monotonous "music"

If all customers rang or emailed their local member of parliament (Federal) after a
long wait time or problem with Centrelink, we would get somewhere.

Few Month ago I removed my PO Box from my details. Centrelink now asked me to ring in and update my assets and living arrangements. I rang and after the introduction circus they told me 40min wait for an opperator. For what. to tell them nothing has changed. I hang up and went to their office.

Well, I am based overseas, and I changed my asset details on the 22 March 2023 and till today 10 June I am still waiting for it to be accepted!
I did call in May and again in June and they did the changes manually for me but my account still says that I cannot make any changes because of the 22 March change request!

This is nothing new, these supposed waiting time would be a great improvement and it didn’t start just because Labor is in office now. Centrelink is well known for the long wait times, 15-20 minutes is a short time to wait. The truth of the matter is more like 45–60 minutes. Fortunately for me I can do most, if not all of my business Online. However if you have to ring them be prepared to wait.

I have a little tip. A few years ago I lost my job through illness and irresponsible actions on my part. As I was of Aged Pensioner age I went to Centrelink. I had just returned from the hospital with issues with my feet due to Diabetes so walking was uncomfortable. The Centrelink office was about 2 km from home so off I went early one morning. I got there sometime later but just after their opening time. I saw a pleasant lady at the reception who filled in a form then I was guided to one of their computers to fill in more forms. I was then asked to produce some forms which I had at home so off I went back home and returned later that day with the appropriate forms. At the end of the day, it appeared I was no closer to any resolution and I needed to provide more information that I did not have immediately available. Whilst the staff were pleasant it appeared nobody new anything. This actually went on for over a week. I also made distressingly long phone calls to try to get answers which were unforgiving in their ability to provide no answer.
Eventually, my feet could no longer bear the pain, and after one of the visits I passed the local member MP's office so I thought why not go there? I did and was amazed at how welcoming they were and within 24 hours I was receiving calls from Centrelink in Canberra and my problem was solved immediately.

• Love
Reactions: Milica and Sonny9
We have waited more often than not over 2 and a half hours to speak to someone. Doesn’t matter what time of day it is. Never ever have we been answered in the time stated in this article. It is disgustin!
Same, the wait time is ridiculous

Not just Centrelink but try ringing Motor Vehicles Department, same thing. Im 68 and have call center experience. Would love a job in one of these areas as Im sure there are alot of people my age who could boost their call centers up!!!!
Had to upload a new rent relief form on my Centrelink website, ended up taking 3 months for them to actually see it and implement it, did backpay me though.

For the Older Australian's line it is not just the wait time but they tell you they are too busy and to ring back later and then they hang up on you. I find this very insulting as well as F....cking annoying. Also if you ring back in one hour it recognizes that you have rang before and then tells you that things have not changed and hangs up again.
That is true and so so Rude, not to mention frustrating, and time consuming - how would you like it Centrelink if some-one spoke to your mother or father like this, or hung up on them. Just get more workers and train them Correctly! This has been going on for far too long, not too mention puts pressure on the already shortage of C/L workers! Most can already answer phones - or hang up! no training required there! At the same time i am so very grateful for - in this country having access to an age pension. To the Powers that are above and delegate to the workers, Look after your Workers Centrelink, it is not an easy job, this will then provide customer satisfaction instead of complaints. Try doing a shift yourself on the phones or the floor to get the real picture of what's going on and what is required-not sure about a whole shift-that may be asking too much! It's the Workers that do the Work.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
I worked for the old Department of Social Security and people need to be aware of the workload of staff.
I know it's a big joke to rubbish public servants but I used to tell people to sit at my desk for a week to see my work output. Also, since COVID so many staff are inexperienced and the offices are so fragmented that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand's doing
And that's precisely why C/L needs to get there act together!

Last edited:
When I tried to report my income yesterday I found that since Centrelink did an update a couple of weeks ago all my quick links to mygov departments have disappeared off my mygov website on my iPad, and on my laptop. Trying to find out how to reinstate them is impossible, click on any of the supposed link help and it takes you to a page full of garble that is no help at all. So last night I rang the line that is open til 10pm, well after over an hour listening to the crappy music they play I finally got a person on the phone, and a bonus, she spoke clear English that I could understand. I tried to explain what had happened but she had no idea what I was talking about. As I was talking to her the links I had on mygov site suddenly reappeared on my laptop which I had open on my gov site. So I quickly told her it should be ok and put my report in before it all disappeared again. Only thing is it told me I will get my usual part pension on due date, but my husband who is retired and doesn’t work or have to report won’t get his payment for another two and a half weeks. So looks like a trip to the office to talk to the rude, unhelpful, uncaring staff there next week. This service needs a good shake up there needs to be enough staff trained and employed to give fast efficient service to the people who need it.

All Government departments are too stingy to train & employ enough people to man their phones. Think of the amount of older Australians they could train & employ to do this task. The older people would be more sympathetic to everyone's situation & a kind word here & there can help far more than telling someone that if they hang up they will not lose their place in the queue which is a lot of BS. This is what I have been told in my dealings with one or another branch of Government services.

Reactions: Milica and Sonny9

View attachment 21898

View attachment 21899

Key Takeaways

The real reason is Centrelink do not want anyone to come to the office, they want everything computerized. Our generation may not be computer/ scanner literate, so they have to go to the centre. Most will tell you to go to MYGov and do it online but it is not easy and is time consuming if you don't know what you are doing.

Reactions: splinter49
I worked for the old Department of Social Security and people need to be aware of the workload of staff.
I know it's a big joke to rubbish public servants but I used to tell people to sit at my desk for a week to see my work output. Also, since COVID so many staff are inexperienced and the offices are so fragmented that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand's doing
I also worked in a Centrelink call centre and left because not only were staff not equipped with what we needed to actually help customers, but over the years I saw trained staff slowly being replaced by casuals from call centre companies. These people have no knowledge of the relevant government acts that decisions are based on like us trained staff did and cannot give the level of service I used to pride myself on. It took me ten years but I had to go for my own sanity.