From the Experts: Nightmares and Sleep Terrors (Part 2)

Screen Shot 2024-07-09 at 4.33.40 pm.png

Note from the Editor:
This article was written for the SDC by psychologist and member @Jan A. Jan A. works part-time, taking on clients under the Medicare Mental Health Care Plans. She works with people of all ages, from children to seniors!

Missed part 1? Catch up here.

Are there other types of nightmares?

As well as common nightmares, there are nightmares specifically associated with Post-Traumatic Disorder and with sexual abuse.

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder:

A subcategory of nightmares relates to war or life-threatening occurrences that generate Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), previously known as 'shell shock' or 'battle fatigue.' PTSD as a psychological injury was originally recognised as associated with the effects of war but can arise from any fear-inducing event or experience that is beyond what a person would normally expect to experience in their life.

The PTSD-related nightmares occur with combat exposure or with a traumatic event in the case of non-combat-related PTSD. Studies on combat veterans with PTSD have shown high percentages of combat veterans suffer repetitive nightmares for many years, though not all combat participants suffer nightmare experiences.

Other traumatic events found to be associated with PTSD include accidents, childhood sexual abuse, sudden death of a loved one, violent crime and family violence. PTSD can also be found in people who have witnessed or heard about suicides or other violent events.

PTSD can also be caused in workplaces by excessive performance demands, bullying or other threats to the person’s livelihood.

Last edited:
Sponsored
My heart goes out to all of you that have lost someone and l hope you all find solace by talking about it to all the caring SDC friends on here. l lost my husband two years ago and my grand-daughter aged 26 about 6 weeks ago and today my sister has died but l just didn't want this to pass without sharing with you all as l know you must feel a part of yourself is missing. So sorry to everyone.
So sorry to hear about your losses, your poor grand-daughter was so young. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.💞

My daughter use to have night terrors as a young child. It was dreadful, she would be sitting staring straight ahead screaming. She could not hear us or be comforted. We had never heard of night terrors. Poor little darling. I would ask her if she remembered being upset through the night. No nothing. Very upsetting. Thank goodness she grew out of it.
Kind regards to all Vicki

So sorry to hear about your losses, your poor grand-daughter was so young. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.💞
Thankyou so much and sorry for delay in answering you. .Megan had Spina Bifida and other problems and had been in and out of hospital all her life. ln the end her breathing and congestion got worse and despite Debra and Pauls devoted care she just gave up. So sad and we miss my husband Megan and my sister so much and just wonder why we go on. Oh dear! sorry to be so dramatic

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Thankyou so much and sorry for delay in answering you. .Megan had Spina Bifida and other problems and had been in and out of hospital all her life. ln the end her breathing and congestion got worse and despite Debra and Pauls devoted care she just gave up. So sad and we miss my husband Megan and my sister so much and just wonder why we go on. Oh dear! sorry to be so dramatic
I am so terrible sorry for your loss. It must be really hard having all 3 go so close together. If you need to talk don't hesitate
Sincerely
Beautiful Mousey ❤️

You are not being dramatic, so much grief must be so hard to bear.
With my husband passing about ten weeks ago, I have been in Perth all-day today with my daughter.
She has had three bouts of oral cancer over the last 15 years and today scans to find out why she has such a sore mouth. I pray it hasn't returned.
It never rains but it pours.
Happier days ahead for all of us, we just have to keep going, nothing much else we can do.
My best wishes to you and your family at this very sad time
Trish 💖

With my husband passing about ten weeks ago, I have been in Perth all-day today with my daughter.
She has had three bouts of oral cancer over the last 15 years and today scans to find out why she has such a sore mouth. I pray it hasn't returned.
Happier days ahead for all of us, we just have to keep going, nothing much else we can do.
Trish 💖
Condolences on the passing of your husband and I pray that your daughter will be ok and the cancer has not returned. ❤️

Trish 💖
Thankyou and all good wishes to you too for good results for your daughters scan it must be a real worry for you both.Sorry on the loss of your husband too must be heart breaking for the two of you. Let me know how your daughter goes and wishing you the best 💉❤️

My daughter use to have night terrors as a young child. It was dreadful, she would be sitting staring straight ahead screaming. She could not hear us or be comforted. We had never heard of night terrors. Poor little darling. I would ask her if she remembered being upset through the night. No nothing. Very upsetting. Thank goodness she grew out of it.
Kind regards to all Vicki
Such a classic case of night terrors. Parents are scared out of their wits and the child remembers nothing in the morning. A work colleague asked me about it one day after his young son had an episode. My colleague and his wife were ready to call an ambulance when the child finally stopped screaming and sank back into sleep. I cannot help wondering what it is they “see” that is so terrifying for them but because they don’t remember we will never know. Adults who have these terrors remember the imagery but children do not. So glad your daughter eventually grew out of it.

Such a classic case of night terrors. Parents are scared out of their wits and the child remembers nothing in the morning. A work colleague asked me about it one day after his young son had an episode. My colleague and his wife were ready to call an ambulance when the child finally stopped screaming and sank back into sleep. I cannot help wondering what it is they “see” that is so terrifying for them but because they don’t remember we will never know. Adults who have these terrors remember the imagery but children do not. So glad your daughter eventually grew out of it.
Yes Jane A, it was very frightening the first few times it happened. Very distressing for us as parents. Not being able to comfort our daughter. I do wonder if it's under lying anxiety.
Thank heavens she is no a 41 year power house the mum of four kids two jobs and absolutely beautiful soul.
Kind regards Vicki

Yes Jane A, it was very frightening the first few times it happened. Very distressing for us as parents. Not being able to comfort our daughter. I do wonder if it's under lying anxiety.
Thank heavens she is no a 41 year power house the mum of four kids two jobs and absolutely beautiful soul.
Kind regards Vicki
Sorry Jan A my phone put Jane. My apologies.
Kind regards Vicki