From Sunrise to new horizons: David Koch announces new career move

David Koch, the familiar face many Australians have woken up to for over two decades on the popular morning show Sunrise, has taken a surprising turn in his career.

The former television presenter has been appointed as the new chair of the South Australian Tourism Commission (SATC), a role that will see him swapping the TV studio for the boardroom to boost tourism in his home state.

Kochie, as he's affectionately known, is no stranger to leadership roles, having chaired the Port Adelaide Football Club since 2012.

However, his latest appointment, which he will commence on 2 July, is set to be a three-year journey with a lofty goal: to grow South Australia's visitor economy to an impressive $12.8 billion by 2030.

155364910_278976686916858_7414159964031166785_n.jpg
David Koch has been appointed as the new chair of the South Australian Tourism Commission (SATC). Credit: David Koch / Facebook

The announcement was made on Thursday, marking a new chapter for the former Sunrise host. Kochie's passion for his hometown is well-known, and his new position will allow him to channel that passion into tangible growth for the state's tourism sector.

Kochie expressed his enthusiasm for South Australia's rich offerings, from its world-class food and wine to offering cultural experiences to holidaymakers.

‘We do the best food and wine in the nation, and we have some of the nation’s most spectacular regions,’ Koch said.

‘We also retain a reputation for delivering first-class major events and festivals.’

'More recently, the perceptions of Adelaide and South Australia have shifted significantly on the east coast—and we have an opportunity to capitalise on this momentum to grow our tourism sector even further.’

Kochie's strategy in his new role will be to focus on small businesses, which are the backbone of the local tourism industry.

By driving support and growth for these enterprises, he aims to enhance Adelaide's appeal as a tourist destination.

Despite stepping down as Sunrise co-host in 2023, Kochie remains a familiar presence on Australian television, making regular appearances on Sunrise and The Morning Show, where he discusses various topics, including his work with Compare The Market.

However, Koch’s career was not without controversy and issues.

In a previous story, two women lost $250,000 and $800,00 over a scam where that used Koch’s images to mislead victims into investing in bogus cryptocurrency platforms and other schemes.

This led Koch to urge social media companies to take stronger actions to combat online scams. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • David Koch has been appointed as the new chair of the South Australian Tourism Commission (SATC) for a three-year term starting on 2 July.
  • Koch aims to help grow South Australia's visitor economy to $12.8 billion by 2030, focusing on the state’s food, wine, regions, major events and festivals.
  • He spoke highly of the opportunities to develop tourism in South Australia and mentioned the changing perceptions of Adelaide and the state’s east coast.
  • David Koch has a longstanding connection with Adelaide, including being chair of the Port Adelaide Football Club, and he continues to make regular media appearances even after stepping down as co-host of Sunrise.
What are your thoughts on Kochie's career move, and how do you think it will impact tourism in South Australia? Share your opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
I thought he said when leaving Sunrise that he was semi retiring to spend more time with his family.
That he would still be involved in his football club and his TV business program.

He must have been bored 😴

I think he will do OK in tourism

I've visited South Australia and Adelaide. Lovely stone houses. The best part was visiting the cherry farms. Those cherries were so large and yummy. Took home a bottle of homemade cherry sauce made by one of the cherry farm owners.
I suppose South Australians will appreciate him for their tourism.

I've visited South Australia and Adelaide. Lovely stone houses. The best part was visiting the cherry farms. Those cherries were so large and yummy. Took home a bottle of homemade cherry sauce made by one of the cherry farm owners.
I suppose South Australians will appreciate him for their tourism.
Adelaide is one place I really want to visit. My perfect holiday would be exploring Adelaide then catching the train to Darwin

Where was the cherry picking and was it in spring or summer ?

T
I’ve only visited Adelaide once, (about 13 years ago), but I thought it was lovely. 😀
The only thing I liked about adelaide was the train 🚂 ride through the hills but that was about 30 years ago.😊

Reactions: DLHM
Would have thought that there would have been a very worthy person for this position who actually lives in South Australia….
Not at all surprised by anything the Malinauskas Labor government do…..

Reactions: whome
I’ve only visited Adelaide once, (about 13 years ago), but I thought it was lovely. 😀
I love Adelaide. It a city that was properly laid out by Colonel Light rather than just growing up like
Toosy. It is so easy to get around. When I lived in Broken Hill we called Adelaide a suburb of Broken Hill!

Reactions: whome and DLHM
Loved broken hill😍
I love Adelaide. It a city that was properly laid out by Colonel Light rather than just growing up like
Toosy. It is so easy to get around. When I lived in Broken Hill we called Adelaide a suburb of Broken Hill!
I've got a relative who lives in Ivanhoe, NSW and it's so different to Adelaide.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I was born in Glenelg in Adelaide but now live in Perth and have done so for 35 years but I do love to go back to visit my home state and Family once a year .Kochie is president of PORT POWER footy team who Im a member of and have been since they joined AFL .