Free holiday ham! How this Woolworths shopper scored the ultimate supermarket giveaway

We love the festive season and all its cheer – it's a wonderful time to spend with family and friends, eating delicious food together and reflecting on the past year.

One of the best things about the holidays, however, is the generous deals, discounts, and bonus giveaways most stores offer around this time. Just take this one shopper for instance, who shared her surprise after being handed a free Christmas ham at her local Woolworths.

The shopper said she was ‘blown away’ when she got to go home with a leg of ham without paying a cent. The woman posted about her good fortune on social media, commenting that she initially couldn't believe it, as the cost of living has become so high recently.

‘Woolworths gave me a half leg of Christmas ham today as a giveaway!’ She wrote.

ham1.jpg
A leg of ham at Woolies costs anywhere between $8.50 to $14.50 per 1 kg. Credit: Facebook

A spokesperson for Woolworths confirmed that the ham freebie was part of the store’s commitment to delivering at least a thousand giveaways to shoppers over the holidays.

One customer per store will receive a random gift from Woolies staff, such as the Christmas ham, or even an entire trolley of groceries paid for in full.

‘I am so grateful! The cost of living has become ridiculous. Something like this is a lovely surprise! My family and I are very appreciative,’ the woman said and tagged Woolworths in her post.

Gary O’Donnell, Woolworths Queensland Zone Operations Manager, confirmed that stores around the country will keep handing out freebies to customers to ‘spread kindness and goodwill’ in the coming days until December 25.

‘In the spirit of Christmas, Woolworths is celebrating a “season of good acts” with over 1,000 surprise and delight moments for customers nationwide,’ he told reporters.

ham2.jpg
Woolworths will keep handing out freebies until Christmas day. Credit: Nicolas Postiglioni/Pexels

Mr O’Donnell also said that since local stores knew their customers best, they let the staff in each branch decide who to surprise, and what the gift could be.

‘Some of the special moments have included our stores paying for a customer’s trolley of groceries, gifting a hamper of goodies, or providing a young family with their Christmas ham,’ he said.

In the past, Woolworths did not put a cap on the number of people that will receive freebies. This year, it was reported that Woolworths staff will give away a free item 'one per store, nationwide'. The past recipients have been regular customers that the staff have gotten to know well.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has launched a nationwide giveaway this Christmas season, giving away free hams, paying for an entire trolley of groceries, or something more to its lucky shoppers.
  • The ‘season of good acts’ celebration is part of Woolworths’ commitment to delivering at least 1,000 ‘surprise and delight moments’ to customers this festive season.
  • Store teams were left to choose which customers to surprise and what the gift could be.
Do you regularly shop at Woolies? You could be one of the lucky ones to score freebies!

Sponsored
We love the festive season and all its cheer – it's a wonderful time to spend with family and friends, eating delicious food together and reflecting on the past year.

One of the best things about the holidays, however, is the generous deals, discounts, and bonus giveaways most stores offer around this time. Just take this one shopper for instance, who shared her surprise after being handed a free Christmas ham at her local Woolworths.

The shopper said she was ‘blown away’ when she got to go home with a leg of ham without paying a cent. The woman posted about her good fortune on social media, commenting that she initially couldn't believe it, as the cost of living has become so high recently.

‘Woolworths gave me a half leg of Christmas ham today as a giveaway!’ She wrote.

View attachment 10738
A leg of ham at Woolies costs anywhere between $8.50 to $14.50 per 1 kg. Credit: Facebook

A spokesperson for Woolworths confirmed that the ham freebie was part of the store’s commitment to delivering at least a thousand giveaways to shoppers over the holidays.

One customer per store will receive a random gift from Woolies staff, such as the Christmas ham, or even an entire trolley of groceries paid for in full.

‘I am so grateful! The cost of living has become ridiculous. Something like this is a lovely surprise! My family and I are very appreciative,’ the woman said and tagged Woolworths in her post.

Gary O’Donnell, Woolworths Queensland Zone Operations Manager, confirmed that stores around the country will keep handing out freebies to customers to ‘spread kindness and goodwill’ in the coming days until December 25.

‘In the spirit of Christmas, Woolworths is celebrating a “season of good acts” with over 1,000 surprise and delight moments for customers nationwide,’ he told reporters.

View attachment 10739
Woolworths will keep handing out freebies until Christmas day. Credit: Nicolas Postiglioni/Pexels

Mr O’Donnell also said that since local stores knew their customers best, they let the staff in each branch decide who to surprise, and what the gift could be.

‘Some of the special moments have included our stores paying for a customer’s trolley of groceries, gifting a hamper of goodies, or providing a young family with their Christmas ham,’ he said.

In the past, Woolworths did not put a cap on the number of people that will receive freebies. This year, it was reported that Woolworths staff will give away a free item 'one per store, nationwide'. The past recipients have been regular customers that the staff have gotten to know well.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has launched a nationwide giveaway this Christmas season, giving away free hams, paying for an entire trolley of groceries, or something more to its lucky shoppers.
  • The ‘season of good acts’ celebration is part of Woolworths’ commitment to delivering at least 1,000 ‘surprise and delight moments’ to customers this festive season.
  • Store teams were left to choose which customers to surprise and what the gift could be.
Do you regularly shop at Woolies? You could be one of the lucky ones to score freebies!
What about regular online customers ?

Reactions: Cheezil

View attachment 10738

View attachment 10739

Key Takeaways

And there is the reason I love shopping at woollies they are my go to store well done woollies you’ve done it again great promotion 🥰👏👏👏

Reactions: Jill57 and Ricci